Sponsor: Adidas
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 36m 10s
Overall Rank = 4313/4457
Age Group = 31
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Trained for 17 weeks with the Strides for Hope Marathon Training Team: Supports the Wellness Community - A nonprofit center that provides support and education for cancer patients and families affected by cancer. I raised over $3,000 USD for the charity...makes me feel great to contribute like that to a great cause.

Breakfast: Granola + Banana + Water
Event warmup:

Stretching and light jog to get the muscles warmed up. Said a little prayer then the game face was on!! =)
Run
  • 6h 36m 10s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, so it was slow...but I'm soooooo proud of myself. My first marathon and I finished it!! Woo hoo =) I enjoyed every moment of this experience!! The best thing I did was write my first name in big letters on the front of my jersey...every corner I turned, the crowds would cheer for me by name. "Go Melissa!" "You can do it Melissa" "Dig deep Melissa" I felt like such a champion out there even though I was shuffling along =) I highly recommend others write their name on the front of their shirt for their first runs!! Hearing people cheer for you is great, but having them cheer for you by name gives you such a boost in energy.
What would you do differently?:

Next time, I should eat a little more salt. I had about one tablet throughout the entire run and realized how much more salt I was craving post-race. Drank about 2 cups of hot soup just to get the salt.

Also, I probably would have conserved more energy and run better if I hadn't thanked every Canadian who cheered me on during the race. They're just so nice and being out of the country with no family in the crowds to cheer me on...I couldn't help but thank them for their cheers!! =)
Post race
Warm down:

Hot soup for the salt. Oranges because they tasted great. Pasta to fill the stomach. Beer because I wanted to celebrate =)

Seriously - jumped in an ice bath to get the swelling down on my knees. Stretched later that evening. Planning to walk oer the next few days.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited my ability to perform...hmmm, the team I trained with was incredibly supportive but I was too slow for the fast group and too fast for the slow group. I stuck with the slow group because we vowed we'd get each other through the race together. At one point I got ahead of the group too far, stopped, waited, the walked back to regroup with them. People thought I was crazy for going back...but it was for the team. The last 2.5 miles, though, I just had to run. I couldn't walk anymore. My knees were going and the longer I was out in the elements, the less likely I was to finish. So, I took some salt, took a gel, downed a Motrin, drank some water and took off for a great finish =) The last 2.5 miles were incredible and probably the best part of the run. To stride it out like I was and to realize that I was going to finish the marathon put the biggest smile on my face!! It's a feeling I can't put into words. I cried when i crossed the finish line I was so proud of what I had done.

Event comments:

Only recommendation I have for the Vancouver Marathon organizers...keep some water and juice at the finish line for those stragglers who are out on the course longer than the average person. We may be slow, but we need juice and water probably more so than the fast folks. I crossed the finish line to a few orange slices and had to beg a lady for some water after her booth was closed. Other than that...the race was organized extremely well and I was thrilled to have been part of such a wonderful event.

Last updated: 2004-05-04 12:00 AM
Running
06:36:10 | 26.2 miles | 15m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4313/4457
Performance: Good
Half marathon point time was 2:58:00
Course: Beautiful course through Vancouver, British Columbia. Mostly flat, through Stanley Park, over a bridge, through Chinatown, around the water/harbors...absolutely beautiful!! Some inclines and primarily on paved streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes