Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2009-12-23 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Colin Cook's Group - CLOSED
Hi everyone,

Name:  My name is Colin Cook and my username is HockeyHands.

Story:  I have just completed my first season of triathlons.  Over this year, I have achieved all of my goals and have developed quite a passion (probably an understatment) for triathlons, while also obtaining a lot of information about the sport.  I come from an athletic background and played hockey in college.  I am currently in the process of creating my own triathlon team based in Massachusetts called North East MultiSport.  I really enjoy helping others and helping people achieve their goals.

Status:  I am single.  I do have a serious girlfriend, but do not have any kids.

Current Training:  Right now I am in the process of preparing for my first Ironman.  I usually train about 12-15 hours, but will be increasing my training amount shortly.

This Year's Races:  I started of this year by running the Boston Marathon.  My main race of the season was the FirmMan Half Ironman in RI, but I also did a couple Olympic and Sprint distance races along the way.

2010 Races:  My main race will be Ironman Arizona.  However, I will also be doing the Mooseman Half Ironman, Syracuse 70.3, and about 5 other shorter races.

Weightloss:  I am currently not trying to lose any weight.

What will make me a good mentor:  As I mentioned above, I really enjoy helping people.  I have a lot of great knowledge that I would look like pass on to people new to the sport.  I remember how many questions I had when I first started doing triathlons and I didn't really have a "mentor" to help answer these questions.  I also intend to help inspire and motivate people to stick to their training and reach their goals even when "life" gets in the way. 

Edited by hockeyhands 2009-12-27 7:26 PM

2009-12-23 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2575024

User image

Regular
Port Moody
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Group - OPEN

Hi Colin,
I would like to join your group,
Love the name Hockeyhands, of coarse here in Vancouver hockey is life (winter time anyway)
I am also doing my first Ironman next year, Ironman Canada in August
This will be my 3 rd season, crashed in the end of season 1 and seperated my shoulder so that set me back a little.,
I am 51 years old, happily married  (22 years)with 3 grown kids.
6' 185lbs currently, would like to get down to about 175-180 for the race, decent base

I come from a competetive sports background, hockey,soccer,baseball. started running and mountain biking (some of the best trails in the world)here in BC about 15 years ago for weeknd fun once the compepetive team juices started to dissipate. Still play weekend rec soccer when able toand coach as well. Found the individual stuff a little more to my liking as I got older.

I have done 3 Olympics a sprint and a whole wack of 5km's and 10 km's.
I will do 1 Oly, 1 Sprint, a couple 5 &10 kms and IM Canada next season hopefully
I love to train, I love to challenge myself and see how far I can push myself. Have a trainer I use a couple times a week, swim twice a week, and hitting the gym 3 times a week to get stronger. I am  nursing a heel spur right now so running is out until the New Year (sucks, I love to run). 
I am in need of some help to get to my goal of becoming an Ironman . I am not focusing on a time to finish in I just want to finish and enjoy the day.
I look forward  to the new year and its challenges, honestly I can't wait to start my 20 week program,. All this unstructured time off is killing me, It's to easy to take days off or just not work as hard.

looking forward to the group and hearing from you
Dave

2009-12-23 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Hey Colin,

It looks like you're getting a little Canadian group on your hands here, which is fitting for your user name  

My name is Jason, and I live in New Brunswick, Canada.  I am 28, and have a fairly athletic background.  In high school, I played most sports (basketball, volleyball, soccer, track, badminton), and I continued volleyball in University.  I have been running recreationally for about 13 years, but started to get more into road races and longer-distance running after high school (not so many sprint events to sign up for as an adult).  Last summer (2008), I competed in my first triathlon (Sprint distance) and was instantly hooked.  This past summer, I stepped it up to the Olympic distance, and I want to move up to an HIM this coming summer.  So far, my training has been quite lacking, and I'd like to change that to see how fast I can actually go.  I have a few races planned this year... some 10-15k road races, and a couple of shorter-distance tris, with the HIM at the end of August.

I am married, with 2 children (1 and 3), and have just finished my Bachelor of Education degree.  I hope to find a teaching job for January, but I will continue to work my current job at night until I get a permanent contract, so I will have to be creative with my training.  I would like to invest in a trainer, since my biking needs some serious improvement... along with my running and swimming

I plan on stuffing my face for the next week and a half, but look forward to getting on track and being held accountable in the new year.    
2009-12-23 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2576098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Hi Dave,

I am looking at Ironman Canada in another year or two.  Looking forward to training with you and hearing about your progress!

Jason
2009-12-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2576098

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Right on Dave!

Very excited to have to you!  I still play hockey a couple times a week and my username HockeyHands is actually named after my product I invented (www.HockeyHands.com).  Some of my roommates I played with were from BC when I was in college and a lot of the guys on my team played juniors in the BCHL.

I love your goal!  IM Canada is supposed to be a great race and I would love to do that one at some point.  I'm planning to finish IM AZ in sub 11 hours.  However, I think it is very smart to not set a time goal on your IM.  Very sorry to hear about the crash and injury.  I actually had shoulder problems as well and definitely feel for you because it is a terrible injury to have.  However, lets not dwell on that assuming you are fully recovered.  I'm a big believer in always looking and moving forward.

I think we need to get a half Ironman in prior to IM Canada.  Half Iroman's are vital to Ironman training and may be a real wake call on how difficult going the full distance is.  Let's start looking into a HIM.  I just did a quick search and it looks like the Subaru Vancouver Int. Triathlon on July 4th may work.  Here is a link to it: http://www.triseries.ca/vancouver. It is recommended that you complete a HIM 6-8 weeks before an IM.

Being inspired to and enjoying your training is the key to having success so I'm very happy to hear you have the motivation.  However, I completely understand your difficulty with not have any structure with your training.  With that said, let's get some structure!  Not sure if you have already looked at it yet or not, but I setup my own "winter maintenance" schedule for the time in between training programs that I have listed on my profile.  Would you be willing to set something like this up?  If so, this structure may help you get through these difficult times.  Let me know if this interests you and we'll get something planned for you.  This could be the key to completing your goal as I don't feel 5 months is enough to time to prepare for your first IM.

Also, what do you consider to be your strengths and your weaknesses?

I am really excited to have you in the group and working with you towards your goal of becoming an Ironman!

Look forward to your reply.
2009-12-23 9:38 PM

User image

Regular
Port Moody
Hey Colin
thanks for the reply, I am absolutley in for some structured winter training. If you have some ideas, let it fly my man. As for Vancouver H IM I had not thought about that, but I would for sure consider doing it if it makes sense. I am so ready to get going.....I would love to see your winter plan.
let me know, not sure how to ge tto your stuff.

2009-12-23 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2576257

User image

Regular
Port Moody
Jason, good to hear from a fellow Canadian,
have you been to Penticton to see IMC ? it's awesome, great coarse, great place.
Dave
2009-12-23 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2576256

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Jason,

Bring on the Canadians!  Smile

I don't like to admit this, but I was evening saying "eh" from time to time when I was living with my Canadian roommates.  With that said, I think we should get along great and I'd be honored to work with you.

Congratulations on getting your bachelors!  Best of luck with putting it to use.  In the meantime, it shouldn't be a problem at all with you working at night.  As I mentioned to Dave, structure is the key.  Its really go hard to achieve goals when you don't have any details on how you're going to get there.

I really like your goal and it looks like it is perfect for you in taking triathlon to the next level.  There's no question we could all use some improvement on our swim, bike, and run.  However, I took a quick peek at your race reports and it does look pretty safe to say we've got to improve your performance on the bike.  The winter is a great time to work on getting faster and I strongly recommend investing in a trainer or maybe some bike rollers.  I use rollers and I am a really big fan of them.  Is it too late to let Santa know about this?  Smile  My guess is it is, but hopefully you can get something soon.

Very excited to have you Jason!  Enjoy your holidays, but I'm already going to challenge to get some workouts in during the holiday season.

Talk to you soon my new friend!
2009-12-23 10:09 PM

User image

Regular
Port Moody

Colin,
sorry I forgot to speak about my strengths and weaknesses
I would say that swimming is the one in need of the most work, I am a 1:50-2:00 min per 100m swimmer. I would say the bike has become my strength (1:10-1:15 40km)and the run (55:00-60:00 min 10km)a close second. Did a 21:00min 5km in Oct. I know this is not what IM (long and slow)is about but these are my bench marks (not withstanding foot injury right now). I have not been as diligent with my log as I should have been so you might find some gaps but I have been working on keeping better logs in the last month or so.
I have a trainer, easy access to a pool and at my workplace we have a full gym with all the needed equipment including  treadmills if needed, but the weather is ok still for running outside, no snow yet! Bring on the challenges, Let me know if you need any more info.
Dave

2009-12-24 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2576324

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the additional info.  With that said, we definitely need to get you committed to some time in the pool.  How often are you swimming now?  Do you spend anytime with a swim coach?  If not, this is something we should look into.  I actually am a member of what they call the triathlon class at my local YMCA.  Is there a swim class or a class like that at your pool?  You should be able to get a lot out of something like this.
2009-12-24 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Colin, I would like to join up with your band of hockey enthusiast triathlete beginners:

Name: Jon

Story: Was dared by my brother (who does HIM, and Olympic lengths regularly) to do a tri since I wanted to get a bike. Also, I want to do it for better health for myself so I do not become sedentary and I can keep up with an active 2 year old son. Also, I figured it could help me with my (minimal) hockey endurance

Current training: Usually at the gym late at night after my son goes to sleep and I am done with my school work and lesson planning. Roughly 3 hours a week, but look to increase once I get a bike.

Weight loss: Yes please. One of the reasons I am doing tri's is for my overall health. I have never been small. When I was in high school I was a multi sport athlete (swimming/water polo). Since the end of high school, I have added more weight, and become more sedentary. Started playing ice hockey to help that. Current weight is 235

Upcoming Races: Race on the Base (reverse sprint tri) 2/27/10, and Redondo Beach Tri (sprint) 6/10/10 

2009-12-25 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2576948

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Welcome Jon!

Glad to have you and I'm also glad your brother dared you to do a tri.  When are you expecting to get your bike?  Is it a road bike?  Triathlons are a terrific way to shed some pounds and we'll definitely make that happen.  Considering your first tri is in February, I would assume you live in a warm climate and I'm very jealous.

Your swimming background is going to be a real advantage.  However, we need to get to work right away to get you fully prepared for your first race.  Do you have a training program in place?  Do you have any biking experience?  How about running?

Its great to have you and I look forward to helping you reach your goal.

2009-12-25 11:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Well Colin, I just got my bike today. (Fuji Newest 3.0) Come Monday, I am going to meet up with my brother and work on getting used to a road bike since I have not been on a bike in 15+ years. Also, we are going to do minor adjustments such as handlebars etc and I am going to pick up some rollers for the bike for home. The swim of the first tri is in a pool, so I am stoked for that and it gives me some more time to do some open ocean swims. My concern mostly is with the run, and building up my speed on that. Tomorrow during y son's nap, I am going to hit the gym and try a drill I was told about at a local tri store (Triathlon Lab). Hopefully, with this drill I can learn to reposition my body and build up my heart rate. I guess I am lucky I live outside of Los Angeles, since I can practice outside in the terrible (read 50 degree) weather. It does suck for trying to play shinny outside.
2009-12-26 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2577896

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
That's great Jon!  The fitting for the bike is very important so hopefully your brother fits you up nicely.  Do you have a program you will be following?  We can adjust it a little bit to focus on the run, but we need to get some organized structure to your training if possible.

Let me know how the bike feels after you get it fit.  Are you planning to get some aero bars for it?  Certainly not a must, but may be a cheap way to get a little faster.  If you're interested you can get some used for really cheap on the classified section of BT.  Also, please get back to me about whether you have a program yet or not.

Yes, I guess there are some pros to being in the cold on the east coast.  The ponds/ice is actually in great condition in my neck of the woods and I'm hoping to get some shinny in either today or tomorrow.
2009-12-26 8:28 PM

New user

Hi Colin and everyone else!

So it appears that you've got the Canadian group so what are the possibilities of my joining you?

Here are my details!

Name: Kathryn

Story:  I've been running for about 5 years, about 5 half marathons (just barely sub two consistently), two full marathons, trail running and I've now completed in a try a tri, and two sprints.  Quite honesty I need my butt kicked!  I had planned to complete an Olympic last year but changed jobs which interfered with my training so this year I want to complete an Olympic in early June and I'm still debating committing to the Muskoka Half Ironman on September 12, 2010!  If I commit to it I want to well, I'm mostly competitive with myself although I often often place in the to 25% of my age group and would like to do the same if I commit to this! So I guess what I'm saying is that I need a nude and some enticing!

Status: Single, 42 yrs. shared custody of my 11 yr. old dog.  I do have a new job developing a UK based Foster Care Agency through out Ontario so I will be travelling a bit and will need to be committed to maintaining my training schedule despite a busy work schedule. 

Current Training:  I've been swimming once a week for a little more than an hour, usually about 1.5 - 2k, used to swim as  kid and although I've struggled adjusting to a wetsuit I have placed quite well with my swim times.   I run about 3 times a week a tempo run, a LSD run of about 10 - 15 k, and I've just barely started hill training again.  I haven't been cycling or to a spin class in about 2 months.  Power Yoga 2 - 3 hrs. per week.

This years races:  I will run a 30k (Around the Bay) at the end of March as my first race then debating as to whether to do a half marathon or a full marathon in May (Ottawa), about 5 trail races, (5 Peaks) 5 - 9 k each through out the summer and would like to do at least one or two Olympic distance tri's and as I said Muskoka 70.3 IM, September 13, 2010!

Weightloss; I need to take off 10 lbs. or so in order to meet my training goals, build more muscle and reduce overall body fat. 

So my reasons for wanting to join your group are because from what I can see, you could really kick my butt and I need some more incentive to get training (despite the fact that I have a horrible cold)!

Have a Happy New Year Everyone!

Kathryn

P.S. I don't mind hockey either !  I played street hockey growing up but that was the extent of my hockey career.

2009-12-26 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi Colin & Everyone else.  My name is Patrick and I'd like to join this group if you'll have me.  Some interesting connections - I was born and raised in Massachusetts, and I work for a company with the HQ based in Vancouver.  I DID play hockey when I was younger, but that didn't last long.

Anyway, the stats:

Name:  Patrick Mahoney

Story:  I am 40 years old and live in Southern California.  Long story short, I speny my 20's alpine climbing, my early to mid 30's getting quite out of shape, and about 2 years ago started exercising again, which has led to 80 pounds of weight loss.  I signed up for a triathlon after I decided that after hours and hours of running, doing a few 5K's wasn't going to be enough payoff.

Current Training:  6-7 hours/week, usually.

2009 Races:  Solana Beach, Long Beach, Redondo Beach, all sprint distance.  A couple trail races and a 10K as well....

2010 Races:  La Quinta Sprint, looking at a few others, want to move up to an Olympic this season.

Weightloss:  Could still stand to lose 10/15 lbs.

Hopefully I'll get to know you guys....

Happy Holidays

Patrick

2009-12-26 9:11 PM

User image

New user

Hello, hoping to join up with the Canadian Group!

Name: Jaime Birks

Story:  I have been looking for something to train for recently. And seeming as I don't really like running, but I am a decent swimmer and I enjoy cycling i figured I'd give tri's a shot. The more I read the more enthusiastic I have become. I started training a month ago and seeing my own improvement has really excited me more. I'm currently in Barrie, ON but will be living in Toronto for the next few months as I just landed a new job with the Ministry of Health. I'm excited for next season to begin and plan to race in 3-4 sprints in 2010 (Don't want to be too ambitious my first year). Depending how my training progresses maybe an Oly. Currently I'm just acquiring some basic gear so that I'll be ready.  

Status: Soon to be engaged, 24 years old (25 next season). I hold my A-EMCA, Primary Care Paramedic, certification (hope to land a job with an EMS service) and I just accepted a position as an Ambulance Dispatcher. 

Current Training:  I currently try to Swim 2 mornings a week for 45min-1hr. I can swim the 750m distance in 15min with lots of energy to spare. I run 2-3 times a week and can finally manage under 10 min miles. My long runs now are about 5miles and my short are 3miles. I try to make it to a spin class once a week and get on a bike for the better part of an hour as part of a "brick" once per week. 

This years races:  I've been looking at the Multisport Triathlon series in Ontario. Hope to compete in 2-3 of these. I'd like to do the Barrie Tri if I'm here next summer as well as a race or 2 in the Subaru series.

Weightloss: When I started training I was near 200 lbs, now I'm down to 185 and hope to drop another 10 lbs. I'll adjust goals further as I meet my current ones.

Being a part of this group will hopefully provide me with further inspiration and hopefully some pointers to help me out further.

Jaime Birks

P.S. I played hockey for years and now I ref a few games a week!
2009-12-26 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
D/FW, TX
Hi there! I think I found a perfect mentor group. I'm 1/2 Canadian (mom is from Vancouver), currently live in Texas and quite the hockey fan. I'm typing from my phone right now, but promise to enter more of my "stats" soon. I'm planning on competing in my first 70.3 this year and would love to compete Ironman Cozumel, but need to seriously consider training/work/family/financial commitments.
2009-12-26 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2576941

User image

Regular
Port Moody
Hey Colin,
thanks for the response. I am trying to get in at least 2 swims a week hopefully 3 this week. as for a coach or club it's just not in the cards right now ($)But I am trying to get someone take a look at my stroke for some ideas. Or even video me and I can watch it myself. I a mstarting me winter program next week t oget me going.

welcome all new group memebers, It seems it has a a bit of a Canadian flair, cool eh ! just watching my Canucks rigt now on TV after another Turkey dinner. Have a happy and safe New Years fellow BT ers
train well train hard
Dave
2009-12-26 11:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
It looks like we're getting quite the group here!  I look forward to training with, and getting to know, all of you.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, and I hope you're all looking forward to the New Year like I am.  It's gonna be a good one!

Jason
2009-12-27 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2578491

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hello Kathryn,

The possibilities are looking really good and we'd love to have you so welcome!

It sounds like you have a great background and I'm gonna make sure you have a successful season.  From looking at your planned schedule, I think we need to make a few key decisions now.  If you want to go for a half Ironman at the end of the season, a mid season full marathon may not be a smart idea.  Many coaches argue that a full marathon takes too much out of an athlete and the recovery is too long after the race to do doing a tri season.  I think we should make a decision soon on that so that we can make your goals clear and move forward.

I'm really forward to kicking your butt!  I understand your work schedule may make things tough at times, but when there's a will, there's a way!  With the proper planning and desire, we'll turn this into a non issue.  Let's get that cold taken care of so you can start your training strong.

Really looking forward to working with you Kathryn!

2009-12-27 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2578511

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Patrick!

First off, congratulations for your weight loss!  That is truly an incredible accomplishment and I'm so happy to hear you're sticking with a healthy life style.

Based off your experience, I think shooting an Olympic distance race would be a great goal for you and extremely doable.  I took a look at your race logs and you have put up some impressive times.  Based on that, let's bring that success to the next level.

Do you have a structured training plan at this point?  It looks like we can definitely improve your swim time so we may want to focus on the swim a little.  However, a standard BT training program should work very well for you.  Please get back to me when you have a chance on this.

Welcome to the group Patrick!
2009-12-27 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2578524

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hello Jaime!

I'm not surprised to hear the more you got involved in this sport, the more interested you have gotten.  This is a really consuming sport and I'm really happy you are finding some enthusiasm for it.

Congratulations on the new job.  As for not knowing where you may be living, I wouldn't be overly considered with this from a tri standpoint.  Another great thing about triathlons is they are really growing and you can do them pretty much anywhere. If this is a real concern, you may want to hold off on signing up for some of the later season races if you think you could be moving far.  Nonetheless, you can still train for them.  As for the distance you train for, its up to you, but I do not think an Olympic distance race is out of your reach. 

Your current training looks great!  A lot of people struggle on the run, but we'll work on improving that.  We may want to pick up your running a little depending on whether you want to go for an Olympic distance race or not.  So how about we set our sights on an Olympic distance race?  Certainly do not feel any pressure to do so, but as I've said, it sounds very doable for you.

Looking forward to working with you Jamie! 
2009-12-27 12:48 PM

User image

Regular
Prairie Village, KS

Hey Colin,

My name is Matt Gardner, and I would be interested in being in your mentoring group if there is still room available.  I am not Canadian and do not have any connections to Canada, although it feels like Canada after this Xmas blizzard we just got hit with in Kansas.

I come from a fairly athletic background having wrestled and run cross country in high school.  I also was a swimmer in my early years and actually competed in triathlons as a kid (Ironkids series).  Sadly I quit doing triathlons for a solid 12 years.  I am now very serious about getting back into doing triathlons on a regular basis.  I actually competed in a sprint distance about 2.5 years ago.  I am a fairly solid swimmer and runner and have run a marathon before, so I have experience with endurance training.  Biking is definitely my weakest area, although I am not a horrible biker my any means.

Status:  Happily married for a little over a year.  No kids yet.

Current Training:  Approximately 5 hours a week, although I just got an indoor trainer so I plan to really ramp up my cycling.

2010 goals:  I would like to complete a HIM, possibly 2 with some olympic distance tri's sprinkled in as well.  By target HIM's are Ironman KS and Branson.

Weightloss:  I am currently not trying to lose any weight.  Probably trying to add a few pounds and really focus on nutrition.

I have a fairly good drive, but I really think I could benefit from a mentor and support group especially during these cold winter months where I may have to spend a lot of time indoors training.

Matt

2009-12-27 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2578582

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
That's great Spuphal!  That's a lot of typing for being on your phone!

What do you think everyone?  Should we let a 1/2 Canadian join us?  LOL!  Let's not forget I'm an American and I'm outnumbered now so I think I need yaSmile

Count yourself in and get back to me when you have a chance with your details.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 8