Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2011-04-07 11:47 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Chris' Group - Closed

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME: Daksgrammy - Chris 
STORY: I started this looney idea about 3 years ago.  If you're really interested you can read about it here: www.shadowsonthewing.blogspot.com Pretty much in age denial.  I'm still in age denial except they insist on writing it on my leg for each race.  Last year I did a sprint and an Olympic.  I sort of fell off the wagon as a result of some medical issues and injuries, but now I'm back on track, albiet slower. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with one teenager.  My husband tri's too, but our work schedules conflict quite a bit so we mostly train independently.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm working on my running the most. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Our first race was a quarter distance IM, last year we both did an Olympic and I did a short sprint. 
2011 RACES:  This year, I'm doing a super sprint for the season opener, and then a couple more sprints before the Texas heat gets out of control, and then in the fall, I'll do another Olympic

WEIGHTLOSS: I put on some pounds while I wasn't training, so I need to dump those this year.  Wondering if I can donate some of that flab to the fat deprived...

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: When I started I was so clueless - not that that has changed any.  I like the idea of being co-mentees.  Everyone has good ideas - even my husband from time to time - and that's what this is really all about: good ideas and support.  I like the idea that in this forum, even the shy people (like me!) have a place where they can speak up and be heard.Laughing

Edited by daksgrammy 2011-04-27 5:25 PM

2011-04-13 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3434377

Subject: RE: Chris' Group - OPEN

Chris,

HI!  I would like to join your group.  I am starting slow and will be working my way up.  I am not signing up for a tri right now I would just like to try all the training and go from there.  I will start my training (slow remember) on 4-18. Do you want me???

Thanks!!

Tanya

2011-04-14 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3444134

User image

Regular

Hey Tanya - Of Course I want you!  The best way to start is slow, I think.  Do you have any background in any of the three events or are you like I was (am?) starting from scratch?  Can you tell me a bit about your goals and your reasons for taking up this insanity?

Thanks for coming on board!

Chris

2011-04-15 6:40 AM

Hi Chris,

My name is Teo; I'm 42 married and back in school to get my masters in education. I am a beginner beginner! I don't run, can't swim that well and I'm a clumsy cyclist. Can you do something with me? My goal in to enter the sprint tri for women in September in Oahu, Hawaii. I have no idea where to start. But I'm determined to do this. I've on this site for 30 mins now and there's so much info that's a little overwhelming. I am fat deprived so you can dump that flab on me. My goal is to finish the race in one piece...last is fine with me. Thanks for your advice.

Teo

2011-04-15 7:38 AM

New user

Kolkata

Hi Chris,

I am 39 year old, have participated in earlier in Triathlon relay (swimming) in London.

I am based out of Kolkata (India).

I would like you to be my mentor  for Triathlon super sprint (400m swim, 10KM bike & 2.5 km run).

Look forward to hear from you.

Sachin

2011-04-15 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3448015

User image

Regular

Hi Teo and welcome!

I have great memories of a long weekend in Hawaii - although mostly we stayed on Maui. 

The biggest step is the one you've already taken - setting a realistic goal and looking for the resources to support you.  When I started, all the parts were my worst - swim, bike and run!  The only thing I had going for me was that I wasn't freaked out by open water. 

I agree that the amount of information available for new triathlete's is a bit overwhelming.  Despite the fact that you are fat deprived, I would still recommend the book Slow Fat Triathlete. Jayne Williams is the author and she's got a great sense of humor throughout the book with a lot of really good information.  She's very motivational as well. 

For running, see if you can't find a good Couch to 5K program on this website to get you going.  It starts you out slow - maybe 30 second runs out of every 5 minutes - to let your body get used to the idea and then builds up gradually from there.  I know it doesn't sound like much running time, but stick with it.  The danger of progressing too fast is, of course, injury, which puts you out of the game.  You don't want that.  And of course you don't want to forget to do some gentle stretching after each workout.

For me, biking is one of those things that just takes time and practice.  Hop on, and ride.  If the saddle hurts your sensitive areas, adjust it or go to a bike shop and get fitted for a saddle.  To be honest, I went through a half dozen saddles and even more adjustments before I got comfortable.  Just an aside on that: It seems counterintuitive, but extra padding on the bike is not always your friend.

The swim is the biggest nemisis of a lot of triathletes, so if it concerns you, you're in good company.  There are a couple of avenues to look at here.  One is to see if there's a Master's swim program that you can participate in at a local gym.  They usually have some coaches there and they can help you get your fins moving properly.  If you're reluctant to do that just yet, check out a book called Total Immersion, and a video of the same name.  That pair can help tremendously.  Reading about it to start and then seeing the video puts it all in place for you. 

This may sound a bit strange, but also consider doing some weight training exercises.  Your core has to support you through all three events, and you will go stronger through all of them if your core is strong.  Upper body and lower body exercises will also help you gain strength and endurance during all the events.  Just be careful not to overdo it.  Start slow with light weights and fewer repetitions and build up. 

Thanks for joining in - we're gonna have a good time!

Chris

2011-04-15 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3448075

User image

Regular

Hi Sachin - I'm glad you joined us!

I'm excited to have this opportunity to work with other new triathletes.  This is so cool that we can do this half way around the world.   A super sprint is so much fun!  Tell me when your race is and where you are in your training.  What questions can I help you find answers to? 

You must have the swimming under control, at least to some degree to have done the swim part of a relay.  How are your other two events shaping up? 

Look forward to chatting with you about tri-ing!

Chris

2011-04-15 3:46 PM

User image

Regular

Good Afternoon all!

Just so we can all work to help each other, I'd like for you all to add each other (and me, too!) as friends.  If you're trying to sort out just how to do that here's the way I found it.  At the top of the page, click on Settings, then click on the tab that says Training Blog Settings.  Make sure that you have the box checked that lets Friends see your training log.  Then click on the Friends tab and add the usernames for the others in the groups, e.g. "daksgrammy" for me.

Also, I'd like to get a good feel for who you all are and what your experience level is, i.e. if you've got a background in any of the events, or if you are (like I was) the stumbling out of the door kind of new.  Tell us how you came to discover triathlons and what possessed you to join the insanity, how your family and work fit in and what kind of time commitments you are working with and what other challenges or questions you have.  The more we know about each other the better we can help each other.  I can't guarantee to have all the answers, but we can sure do our best to find them together.

As for me, I've almost quit stumbling, but not quite.  My run is atrociously slow - okay, I confess, all of my events are slow.  Having been a year off, I've resorted to a 13 week Couch to 10K program that I really love (I'm on week 5).  I like the swim pretty well.  So much so that I actually slow down to make it last longer!  I'm neutral on the bike.  I dont' hate it, but I haven't learned to love it either.  My biggest obstacle is nutrition.  I'm not diabetic, but I'm really prone to sugar crashes - particularly during racing and training.  Consequently preventive maintenence is key for me. 

So now it's your turn!

Chris

2011-04-15 4:00 PM

User image

Hi Chris,

If there's still room, I'd love to join this group. I am 29 years old and live in Northern California I want to complete my first sprint tri before I turn 30 (in September). I'm actually aiming to participate in a tri on August 13th.

Experience: Run: I started running during my first year of graduate school, I had put on some weight and lost all fitness during my senior year of college. I initially couldn't run a mile without feeling like I was dying I signed up for a 5k and was somehow able to finish it, the only person who finished after me was around 83 years old....since then I've run in many 5ks and I'm actually about to complete my 6th half marathon. My fastest 5k is a little under 28 mins, but I'm running a bit slower these days. 

Swim: I can't swim freestyle to save my soul. I have an appointment with a friend who was a lifeguard to help me sort this out and then I plan to take a few additional private lessons. I'm a great breast-stroke swimmer, but I hear that just won't cut it on tri day!

Biking: I'm more of a recreational bicyclist...slow long rides through town. This is definitely an area that I will need to build up. Though I'm less worried about this than I am about the swim!

I'll be running in my half marathon on 5/1, and then I plan to shift over to tri training. I'd love to be able to chat/connect with you all and receive mentoring as we move through this process!!

Edited by tiffanyosh 2011-04-17 8:40 PM
2011-04-15 4:06 PM

User image

Regular
daksgrammy - 2011-04-07 11:47 AM

If you're really interested you can read about it here: www.shadowsonthewing.blogspot.com Pretty much in age denial. 

I forgot to say what to look for on the blog.  Look for The Age Wars - I think there are four parts.  Start (obviously) with Part 1 and work your way up.  It's my progression from stumbling wild-eyed out of the door to the completion of a 1/4 IM.

Chris

2011-04-16 11:44 PM

Hi Chris.  I am 48 and doing my first tri this summer.  I am a beginner!  I'm married and have 3 kids age 6 and under.  My husband has done 3 sprint tri's.  This winter I decided it was my turn in 2011.  I live in Minneapolis and have been doing BT's Aggressive Couch to 5K running program since 3/1.  I plan on following it through on to the Original 13 Week Sprint Training Plan.  Your thoughts on age denial spoke to me - I wanted a gal for a mentor who could relate to where I'm at.  I have not run consistently since I had kids and some IT band/knee issues.  It is a big step for me to start the running and I am taking it SLOW.  I bike every summer - pulling my 2 girls in the Burley trailer is a great workout!  I used to swim for exercise in college but haven't done any endurance swimming for over 2 decades.  I think I have alot of work to do!

I would love to be in your group.  Having a mentor and a group for support is just what I'm looking for! 

Carrie

2011-04-17 6:35 PM

Hi Chris,Is there still room in here? I'm very new and looking for some guidance :-)Thanks,April :-)
2011-04-17 7:06 PM

NAME: AprilSTORY: I was a cross country runner in high school, rowed crew in college then kinda stopped after that. 15 years later I decided I wanted to get back into running to get back into shape. I signed up for my first half marathon, but was not able to race due to family matters. Another year or so later I tried again, but found out that I have Hallux Limitus (stiff big toe). Running is painful, so I started looking for alternatives. It was hard to get motivated, since running is my 'go to' exercise. A friend mentioned triathlons and for some strange reason I got excited - I became motivated to swim and bike :-). The running is still a challenge, but I found that barefoot running does not cause me any pain in my toe. So I have been trying to develop my barefoot running technique, I enrolled in a swim class to work on my swim technique and develop some endurance, and I try to bike when I can (otherwise I plan to take some spin classes).FAMILY STATUS: Married, with 2 little girls (2 and 5)CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I seem to be working on everything... My plan is to do 2 runs, 2 bikes, and 2 swims a week... And try to fit in some strength training too... I would love to find a training plan that will keep me on track - any advise is much appreciated! :-)This year I would like to complete my first triathlon. I am aiming for one at the end of July... It's a little over 3 months away and I'm hoping to train well enough to complete it.
2011-04-17 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3450820

User image

Regular

Wow Carrie!  How do you have time to even breathe!?  That's great that you decided to take up the baton and go a-tri-ing with us.  So welcome to the group!  Sounds like you're off on the right track with the C to 5K and the follow on sprint plan.  And I bet when you let go of that bike trailer you can really zoom! 

Be sure to friend the goup members and, if you haven't already start tracking your workouts in the BT training log.  It's a pretty nifty little deal.

Age is a relative thing - only my relatives age.  I still think I'm 32.   Really, though, I didn't start until I was 50, going through one of my (many) mid-life crisis.  I never ran, hadn't ridden a bike since high school, and hadn't done any swimming since then either.  And "swimming" would be a generous term for hanging out at the beach all summer.  So consequently, I had a lot of work to do as well.  And do again.  Still.  Probably forever.  But hey, what's life without a little challenge?

I think we should try to get a special wave just for us age deniers. Laughing

Chris

2011-04-17 8:00 PM

New user

Hi Chris,

My name is Margaret and I am embarking on my first Tri May 14th. It is a Tri-a-Tri with a 250m swim, 9km bike & 2.5 km run.  I would like to keep going after this and would like to possible do an Olympic distance sometime this year.

I would really appreciate your mentoring and sometimes motivation. I'm looking forward to being part of your group.

Margaret

2011-04-17 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3451448

User image

Regular

Hi April!  Sure we have room for you.  I've never heard of that condition before - that doesn' t mean much, I haven't heard of most things.Smile  You and Carrie must have your hands full with the little kids.  Must be fun!

Wow - you have a pretty ambitious training plan laid out!  That's a great plan, but I would caution you to always retain some flexibilty.  I don't know how much you've been working out up to this point, but it can be hard to go from 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds! I know when I start doing too much too fast, by body goes on strike.  I get a sore throat or a cold or get achy for no apparent reason.  That's my body telling me to back off and take it easy.   So if you're feeling a little lethargic or slightly under the weather, you might want to skip a day or two (and no guilt allowed!).  Another indicator is if you're resting pulse in the morning is creeping up.  That means your body hasn't had sufficient time to recover, so a day of rest is in order.  Remember, your goal is to complete your race - not to watch from the sidelines because of an injury! 

Chris

2011-04-17 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3451520

User image

Regular

Hey Margaret!

Welcome to the group!

That sounds like a great first tri!  Not too far off, now, either.  Just a little less than a month?  I have my opener on the 15th (Mother's Day) and it is a super sprint as well.  I think you'll have a great time!  Do you have anyone going with  you?  It's so much fun to share the accomplishment. 

Chris

2011-04-17 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3451500

Thanks, Chris! I don't have a lot of time indeed but am excited. Question: when you say "friend" the other group members, do you mean on the BT site or Facebook? I'm not on Facebook (the time thing again!). I hope I can still be in this group...!
2011-04-17 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3449287

User image

Regular

Hi Tiffany (?)

You're in!  Congratulations on selecting your first tri! 

I never give a lot of thought to where I finish.  Course I'm slow as molasses so I can't afford to think about it much.   I look at it this way:  first, I finished ahead of everyone who gave up and dropped out, and second, I finished even further ahead of everyone who never started. 

You're a much faster runner than me!  In my fantasies I dream of making a 12 minute mile Smile. I think you can probably share with the others in our group much more intelligently than I can on that topic! 

About the swim - it's always good to get comfortable with the freestyle.  That said, my husband can't swim freestyle well either and he does all of his triathlons with using the breast stroke.  You do have to be more mindful of those around you so you don't inadvertantly kick them or smack them with your sideways stroke.  Better to try to stay off to one side a bit so to keep a little out of range.  

The good part about your biking is the "long" part.  Lots of folks have a tough time doing long rides as it can be a little tough on the derriere.  But all you have to work on is the slow part.  Don't try to ramp it up all at once, though.  You might try doing some sprints - starting with 15 seconds as fast as you can go, and then back off to your normal pace for 3 or 4 minutes, and then do it again.  You're pace will naturally increase as you do this.  On your training rides, pick a slightly more than casual pace and try to maintain it through out.  Increase that gradually as you go. 

2011-04-17 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3451563

User image

Regular

No, I mean on the BT site Smile.   At the top of the page, click on Settings, then click on the tab that says Training Blog Settings.  Make sure that you have the box checked that lets Friends see your training log.  Then click on the Friends tab and add the usernames for the others in the groups, e.g. "daksgrammy" for me.

I dont' do much with facebook either.  I have the time issue as well!

2011-04-17 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3451569

User image

Hi Chris,

Thanks for having me! I'm so looking forward to learning from you! I've already learned that I should probably have signed my first post (Yes, Tiffany is my name) and that if I have to, I could swim the breast stroke instead of just letting myself drown out there!! I sometimes think my swim will look like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ_I-OhMDP0

I'm adding everyone to my training log, and really looking forward to this!!

-Tiffany

2011-04-17 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3451590

User image

Regular

That's funny, Tiffany!  I'm sure you won't look like that - I mean today's swimsuits and tri-suits are so much less cumbersome than woolen capes. 

I highly recommend locating a Total Immersion DVD (and book too).  My swimming was really pretty labored at first.  I studied the videos, read the book, and then went to the pool to try putting them into practice.  While I'll never be lightning fast (in any event), I did pick up some speed and more importantly, I was able to learn to breathe much more efficiently. 

I'm afraid you'll find that my first course of action almost always involves a book no matter what the topic: plumbing, running, swimming, flying, finding a dog, fence building, whatever... 

2011-04-18 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3447847

daksgrammy - 2011-04-14 11:09 PM

Hey Tanya - Of Course I want you!  The best way to start is slow, I think.  Do you have any background in any of the three events or are you like I was (am?) starting from scratch?  Can you tell me a bit about your goals and your reasons for taking up this insanity?

Thanks for coming on board!

Chris

Chris,

I ran several 5k's last year and was hoping to do a Tri sprint this May(not going to happen .  I signed up in Jan with another group and I just think I pushed too hard I was training in all three.  I would like to continue to work on all three but at a lesser amount of time spent on each and work on my core muscles and strength and stretching.  Just going through the three exercise is a challenge.  I will post my workouts and loved being part of an online group. I want to do a Tri because it is so unlike me.

Thanks Chris for taking me!!!!

Tanya

2011-04-18 8:53 AM

User image

Regular

Cheap Insurance -

So it occurs to me that I’m staring down the barrel of the nursing home shotgun and I’d like to stave off that blast for as long as I can, if only because I think they may modify triathlon events to bedpan throwing, wheelchair races, and cane hopping.  

Since I’m not any good at any of those activities, and I suspect none of you are either, we need to take out a little preventive insurance.  Nope, sorry, Allstate doesn’t sell it and neither does that little green lizard guy.  But it is readily accessible and very cheap with a great return on your investment.

So what’s the investment?  A concrete core and limber limbs!  Strengthening and stretching will help to keep you injury free.

A good routine of a pre-exercise warm up followed by gentle stretching will increase your blood circulation and relax your muscles to help you avoid cramping during your training’  Deeper post exercise stretching helps increase your range of motion, improve your balance and coordination, and, again, relax  your muscles.  There is no substitute for a good stretching regimen.  All together, the pre and post exercise stretching combo shouldn’t add more than 10 minutes or so to your workout time.

Core strengthening should be limited to just ab crunches – thank goodness (jeez I hate crunches)!  In fact the deeper transverses abdominis – the muscle that goes all the way around your waist and supports your abdomen and lower back – is key to your balance, strength and coordination.  Along with the TVA, the erector spinae, rectus abdominis, the internal and external obliques, and a few other muscles, make up the “core.”  A solid workout on your core will help increase your endurance, stability and balance, and form, while decreasing your risk of injury.

Your investment now in these two areas will give you some added protection while training and racing, and will, (hopefully) keep the nursing home administrator at bay as well.  Or you could just forget all this nonsense and just get your bedpan throwing arm into shape!

Tootleloo!

Chris

2011-04-18 8:56 AM

User image

Regular

oops!  typo on my previous post

I should  read "Core strengthening should NOT be limited to just ab crunches"  Sorry about that!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chris' Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10