General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do shot blocks expire?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-21 11:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Do shot blocks expire??
I know people have said gu's expire, but I can't find a date on my shot blocks.  They're probably from my race last Oct...

Anyone know?

(otherwise I'll have to go buy some new ones before my race on Sun)

2009-08-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2363744

Subject: RE: Do shot blocks expire??
Anything edible has a shelf life. If you consider Gu and shot blocks and the other stuff we call 'nutritious' during racing and training, it has an expiration too. The package should have a date on it. If its only a year and hasn't been in your transition bag baking and cooling over and over and having your race shorts sit on top of the package over and over all year, then they are probably fine. If they are hard as your helmet; no good. I always check the stuff they give us in race bags. I once got a gu that was expired by nearly a year. Likely won't kill you, but why eat something that costs only $1.50?
2009-08-22 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2363744

Subject: RE: Do shot blocks expire??
there is a date on both my old shotbloks package (the square one), and on the new style packages.  I found two packs in the bottom of my stash last weekend that had expried a month ago and ate them on my long run last week.  And I'm eating the last two packs from that batch tomorrow.  I wouldn't sweat it. 

Besides, they seem to have about a year until the expiry date whenever I buy them.  Obvs that depends on where you get them, but still.

Edited by DMW 2009-08-22 10:39 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do shot blocks expire?? Rss Feed