General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Started swimming intervels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-22 1:23 AM

Subject: Started swimming intervels
So I posted last week about getting my mile behind me what to do now.  The general reply was intervals.  I swam my first ones on Tuesday.  I swam in a new pool and they had no clock so I used my watch.  Well that did not go to well, but I managed though 11x100.

Yesterday morning I went to my pool (the one I use) and I had my timer figured out on my watch.  I am slow and usally come in around 2:40/100 over 1000yds or more.  So I picked 2:29 on the timer and started.

Man I knocked out that first 100 and had 27s to rest.  I hit that 500 mark and was still resting high teens.  By the time I made my last 100m  I only had a 4s rest.  

Overall I swam the 1000, faster then any time before and I still took rest periods.  Tonight at work I am feeling things in lower lats and on my side that says, I was getting a full stretch.  

I noticed that as I was trying harder I was not tiltiing or rotating my head as much as I breathed.  I could feel more water in my mouth and a couple times chocked some back out.  I also seemed to be gliding and moving smoother though the water.

I wanted to have someone watch me, but all the normal people that are swimmers were not there.  

This week was about getting the feel for it and now I can add more to the work out.  Thanks to those that suggested Intevals.

Joe 

2009-08-22 6:20 AM
in reply to: #2363781

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Subject: RE: Started swimming intervels
Good for you!  After you get stronger and more smooth in the water, you'll be able to drop that time interval and you'll surprise yourself at how well you'll do and how much rest time you'll have between sets.   
2009-08-22 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2363781

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Started swimming intervels
That's great!
Keep it up, and you'll get faster & faster...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Started swimming intervels Rss Feed