General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Right turn safet/etiquette in traffic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-28 10:07 AM

Subject: Right turn safet/etiquette in traffic
I'm trying to be extra safe on my bike lately (had a little incident with a pickup trying to float through a residential-street red light).

But on more heavily trafficked roads, what's the correct/safest thing to do when approaching a right turn at a red light?

I know I can make the right on red (after a full stop) as a car can, but what about when I'm not first in line? Do I stay back in position in the line of cars (as I would if I were in a car) or can I pass cars on the right to get to the intersection, make my turn when/if it's clear?

(I think this may have been addressed before, but can't find the search function)

Edited by ABuckAMile 2009-08-28 10:18 AM

2009-08-28 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2376208

User image

Regular
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: Right turn safet/etiquette in traffic
I don't know what is proper but if I am turning right I will pass cars on the right that are going straight.  If they are turning right I wait my turn.  I don't pass cars stopped at red lights if I am going straight.
2009-08-28 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2376208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Right turn safet/etiquette in traffic
If all the cars in front of you are going straight you it should be ok to ride the curb and turn right. If someone is turning, you wait your turn. Also be aware of local laws. For instance it is legal in Seattle to ride to the right of traffic on a city road if there is enough clearance (and these are roads without shoulders) but it is not legal to do so, if I remember right, in the nearby cities or in the county. If it is illegal of course it does not mean you cant, just that you should be prepared for the consequenses if you do.

Typically however, for positive reinforcement for my fellow road users, I will usually wait.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Right turn safet/etiquette in traffic Rss Feed