Ventura, California
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 58s
Overall Rank = 291/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I walked to the event to avoid any parking hassles. I had a cliff bar, a banana, and a cliff shot for caffiene.This was my first Tri so I didn't really have any routine. But I do commute by bike everyday so my setup wasn't much different than how I lay out my gear every morning. In both situations your groggy and in a hurry to get riding.
Event warmup:

My warmup was basically running around looking for an open port o potty and a cup of coffee. How in this day and age you could hold an event this early in the morning and not have a coffee cart is beyond me. I think I'm going to just create a travelling espresso cart for the Tri Season and make a bundle.
Swim
  • 36m 56s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Terrible swim performance. I boogie board a ton in the ocean and have trained at the pool religiously so I thought I would smoke the swim. Boy was I wrong. I freaked out, my arms and legs were so cold, and I couldn't keep my head under as it hurt and was so murky that I was blind. I had to swim the majority of the swim with my head out which completely wrecked my time. Normally I swim the 1500m in 27 minutes, though on this occasion I was happy to merely finish. I also swallowed a ton of salt water and ended up puking (off the course) on the run up the beach. It probably took me a good fifteen minutes to pull myself together and get out on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

I will be doing a ton of open water swimming between now and the LA tri in September. I will also use a rash guard. My neck is raw where my suit rubbed while I tried to hold my head up and spot the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, since I commute everyday and transition on to my bike at least two times a day getting on the bike and gettting it moving has to be one of my strongest points. But according to the difference between my bike computer time and my posted time I took 15 minutes during my transition, mostly running to the restroom to clean up after being sick. So obviously the weak point is the swim and not my cycling.

More open swim practice, cycling sockless, body glide to get the wetsuit off easier, and the foot bath thing. Though I was smart and put my gloves on during the slow "no-pass zone"
Bike
  • 1h 23m 57s
  • 24 miles
  • 17.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Getting sick right before the bike portion did not help. I felt like I did pretty well, though I got passed by a ton of folks with full-aero setups. I could have definitely pushed a bit harder as I held my HR at 80% to save something for the run.

Aero bars, which I just ordered, and push just a little bit harder. My main loss was the transition.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not my strongest part as psychologically on most days when I get off the bike I am done with my commute home.

Since I use mtb shoes, I can run with my bike, which to me is faster than getting out of my shoes on the bike, risking a crash and attempting to run barefoot. Though next time I might loosen the top strap as I slow down. I would also grab my water bottle as those little cups they give you on the running course are impossible to get water out of for me.
Run
  • 59m 7s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 55s  min/km
Comments:

I hate repeating a course, plus I'm not much of a runner so this part was brutal. I thought I had been running a lot, but obviously I have not been running enough.

Train more, bring water on the run, and maybe a hat.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of water and a BBQ hamburger, a real treat because my wife is a veggie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Without a doubt the swim was my biggest weak point. Plus I peaked about a month ago. We've been in the process of buying a new house and it has been a nightmare where I've skipped trainings and snacked on comfort food. At least I made these mistakes now and not in my new hometown. I will be losing another ten pounds, going on some longer solo rides and a ton more ocean swims.

Event comments:

Coffee would have been nice in the morning (this is nitpicking) and having the state park open all of the bathrooms. Also the no-pass zone was supremely annoying as I got stuck behind some yahoo who could barely clip in and thought that 17mph was hammering.

Last updated: 2005-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:56 | 1500 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Spring Suit
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:57 | 24 miles | 17.15 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Super flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:07 | 10 kms | 05m 55s  min/km
Course: Flat, out and back, out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %none
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-28 5:46 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Breath of Life

2005-06-28 7:25 PM
in reply to: #185811

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Breath of Life
Congrats fellow first TRI'er!!! (and fellow Venturian)

I did the sprint and struggled as well with the swim even though I had several practice swims on that exact beach over the past month and a half and felt great. I also went to the swim clinic they had on the 18th but I guess that did not help much at all...LOL

Are you going to do Carpenteria on September 25th??? It should be pretty fun and the waves will be a lot calmer...
2005-06-28 7:35 PM
in reply to: #185811

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Breath of Life
Dude, that is an incredible first race and an Olympic at that. Go do a sprint, you will surprised at how difficult the Olympic was on a comparitive basis. Once you get compfortable on the swim you will be a podium contender. Congrats and welcome to the game.

Ken
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Breath of Life Rss Feed