Emporia State Track Club
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 50s
Overall Rank = 46/105
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am. Took a shower, got gear ready to go. I made some coffee and then packed the car. I ate one Baker's Breakfast Cookie and had coffee for breakfast. We arrived at the race site about 1 hour early. I took the time to get the transition area ready, and then I got marked with my race number. I ate a bannana for energy and drank a bottle of water.
Event warmup:

I took 1 lap around the Emporia State Track and then did some light stretching. Got into the pool and put my swim cap and goggles on. I had to go to the bathroom about 5 times before getting started.
Swim
  • 09m 18s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did manage to get 4th out of the 7 in my age group for swimming, how I do not know. This was probably one of my worst swims ever.
What would you do differently?:

First I would start out slower. Second, I would breathe "every other stroke" going down, then "every stroke" coming back. Third, I would take a couple of "warm up laps" to get the idea of the deep end and the layout of the lanes.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I took way to long getting into my jersey. I need to buy a "medium" because the small was way too small.

The above and I would probably try swimming in my bike shorts.
Bike
  • 44m 6s
  • 20 kms
  • 27.21 km/hr
Comments:

There was only 1 person who finished slower than me in my age group. This really made me mad. I just got a new bike and boy it looks fast, but I need to get "larger cogs" for the back so that I can spin better going uphill.

Get aero bars, adjust my seat better, and figure something else to do with hydration.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

This and the run were my best parts. I ran in my bike jersey and my bike shorts, this felt fine.

Take both feet out of my cycling shoes before getting off the bike.
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 45s  min/km
Comments:

I took 3rd in my age group for the run. I felt like I was going to hurl at the beginning of the run, and I had slight cramps. I picked up speed after the first 1/2 mile and did great. I finished very strong and felt really good about the run. My shoes did great.

Drink more water on the bike and grab another sip before running.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank some accelerade and a bottle of water to rehydrate. I had a "stinger gold" gel pack and felt good. I really did feel like I could have given more of myself, but not much more. I did have an abdominal muscle spasm (a problem I hadn't had in almost a year, from a previous abdominal surgery) and it was painful, but went away after 2 minutes of laying down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration, and the swim (hyperventilating, resting, and swallowing water). Also needing two larger cogs on the back, getting rid of my two smallest cogs.

Event comments:

I liked the race overall, but I didn't like the serpentine swim and having to wait 15-20 minutes for my turn to get into the pool. Nor did I enjoy having to wait 1 1/2 hours to get the results of the race.

Last updated: 2004-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:18 | 400 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/105
Performance: Below average
Swimming in a new pool without warming up was a bad idea. I got freaked out when I hit the "deep end" of the pool at the start.
Suit: Tri Suit by TYR
Course: This was a serpentine swim of 8 laps of 25 lengths. The first 3 laps (150m) was good, except I was only breathing "every third stroke" and probably needed to breath "every stroke". I had to take 3 "rests" at the wall and I was passed by 3 people.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:06 | 20 kms | 27.21 km/hr
Overall: 6/105
Performance: Below average
Felt pretty "winded" after getting out of the pool, and also the gatorade almost made me sick. Stick to water and buy two "larger cogs" for my bike.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 20 k, semi-hilly to flat out and back course. I didn't have aero-bars, and the wind was a little stiff. In addition, I felt flat coming out of the pool. Probably from gasping and swallowing water in the pool.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:44 | 05 kms | 04m 45s  min/km
Overall: 3/105
Performance: Good
Course: This was a very hilly course of 5 km. Sunny and windy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes