St. Louis, Missouri
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 47m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Pretty normal morning for me. I got up, had breakfast of an egg with english muffin and the required coffee. Drank some water, gathered race number, balloons (to help find other St. Louie BTers) and took off. Drank water in the car.
Event warmup:

After meeting getsome and drmac at our meeting point, we all walked a few block to the race start. I watched getsome stretch and kind thought I should do that to, but I didn't really.
Run
  • 47m 50s
  • 5.2 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

We started pretty close to the front, which wasn't too bad because it thinned out pretty quickly. Probably better than if we were further back. I wouldn't call the course hilly, but it had a few inclines and declines, which I totally noticed. drmac stayed about 2-3 paces ahead of me the whole time, telling me we had one mile down, were half way there, only one mile left. Generally being encouraging. He even got me water at the ONE water stop along the route. The first three miles were a-ok. After that, my head started playing games with me. It said WALK. I said no.

Fortunately, my head won out, and I ran the entire thing. I wasn't very chatty during the run, because, well, I just would've complained. Who wants to run with a girl who only complains? Not me, so I didn't say much. I also really wanted my MP3 player, but to me, it's not a race if I have it, because you have to get through your mental barriers...it's part of racing.

When we turned back onto Market (home stretch) drmac says "here we go, finish strong!" While encouraging, there was ZERO change in my legs turning over. I just kept going. I couldn't help by notice the horrid smells of carnival food as we ran the last bit. Man, if I felt anything other than what I felt then, I'm sure I would've yacked.

Bottom line, I ran it all, quick for me, and the longest run ever. Awesome!
What would you do differently?:

Be more friendly. Run more (onger distances) in training. :) But, I'm getting there.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, some energy drink thing they were giving away and general standing around and visiting. I didn't have a beer! What in the world was I thinking?!?!?! It must've been the stinky carnival food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of distances in running.

Event comments:

The weather was great, the company was great, and it was all around a good time!

Last updated: 2006-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:47:50 | 05.2 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a single loop through downtown St.Louis.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-13 1:48 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: St. Patty's Day 5 Miler

2006-03-14 7:46 AM
in reply to: #368484

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: St. Patty's Day 5 Miler
Great race, a great pace! I heard 8000 people did it. Amazing. I hear you on the MP3 player...I need to start training myself to run without sometimes. Congrats again...we will meet soon...for a long run?
2006-03-14 10:53 AM
in reply to: #368484

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: St. Patty's Day 5 Miler
"Great review!"
"A++."
"Would read again!!"

I really identified with the horrific smells you encountered down the stretch. I was very close to being ill.

later,
~B
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patty's Day 5 Miler Rss Feed