Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

5:30 before race ate oatmeal bar
3:00 before race ate cereal and fruit
Drank 20 oz water between oatmeal and cereal
Rested after work but work was very stressful because of youth swim meet
Event warmup:

I walked for about 4 or 5 minutes and then stretched. I did this about 30 minutes before race event. It was too early. I had lost my nervousness and adrenline before the start so I ran solely on energy. Right shin had a little twitch before race. I wore capris pants, a tee shirt, my running pink sweatshirt and then the race tee shirt over. I used the pink running shoes.
Run
  • 35m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Since this is the first race of the season I kind of forgot the strength and other muscles that are needed to power along in running. I ran about 3/4 of the first lap, but got warm very early. About half way across the bridge, the leaders were on the other side heading back. The volunteers were great because they just seemed to be there when I needed someone to tell me to keep moving. I tried to keep up with this guy who I learned was named Robert after the race. The shin on the right side really began to hurt and i think I would have been able to run most of the second loop but it hurt too much. I can feel a lot of soreness in my quads. The temperature was little cold. We had water at the end. The before entertainment was boring. I know I could have done better but I did well considering the conditions. Breathing was a challenge.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I would have gotten there later. I let my muscles get too cold and I don't think that helped. I need at least one no exercise day and maybe two or three with low endurance.
Post race
Warm down:

I had to keep walking. My muscles wanted to stop and I grabbed the bottle of water they offered and just kept moving. Iced shin and got some whole grain pasta into my system. I am planning on sitting in the sauna at the rec to let the heat soak into my muscles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My shin was the real killer. It was a combination of that and the weather. I am also just not in great shape yet. I need to keep training.

Event comments:

It was a nice little campus race for a good cause. I would run it again. The course was pretty flat but the time of year is the only problem. It was just a little too cold. I set a PR and I am excited!! All in all it was a good way to start race season!

Last updated: 2006-02-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:00 | 03.11 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The course was a path around campus. Started in front of Northrop and ran behind the mall to the bridge, across and down to the library and dorm, up the bike path and back across the bridge, across the mall and along the back side of the mall and back to the starting point. This was a double loop. My guess is there was around 300 or so people. There was about 8 or 9 mph winds from the NW.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-03-25 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Run For Research

2006-03-25 4:58 PM
in reply to: #379354

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Subject: RE: Run For Research

Way to perservere! Congratulations! (I hope your shin feels better soon)

2006-03-28 9:21 PM
in reply to: #379396

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Run For Research
Thanks for the comment! Have any hints to take care of my shins? Hopefully I'll be able to take care of my shin splints and improve my time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run For Research Rss Feed