United States
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 15s
Overall Rank = 474/912
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Normal breakfast of OJ, vitamins, cereal. Kept drinking water and going to the bathroom.
Event warmup:

Rode bike for 20 minutes. Walked and stretched a little. Got in Ocean and pre wetted wetsuit. Run to bathroom....
Swim
  • 23m 50s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Didn't really get into my stroke until rounding the first buoy and then swimming parallel to shore. I wasn't going all that fast but it was the first time in the ocean I was lengthening my body, rolling my body, and keeping my head down while breathing. Didn't drift off course. Usually I swim out to sea at least once.
What would you do differently?:

Be a little more aggressive with my surf entry. Being my first Triathlon I used a more conservative pace than I will in the future.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition times are part of the bike time.

Decent transition. Lost a sock somehow. Happened to have a pair for after the race I was quickly able to pull from bag. Happy I was still able to think straight. So if you were in Carlsbad I was the one wearing two different socks.

Racked my bike too far from center. Get to transition earlier and get a better spot.
Bike
  • 48m 33s
  • 25 kms
  • 30.90 km/hr
Comments:

Felt great on the bike. Started a little slow though. Around the second mile I snapped too and started racing instead of riding. My goal was to finish my first tri, at this point I realized I was going to finish and wanted to see what I could do. It was a great high passing lots of people like they were standing still. Especially the people on the fancy bikes.

Bike time did include both transitions. My bike computer said I averages about 21 mph. I won't complain about that.

Remember it's a race form the onset. Have more aggressive goals. Part of my slow start was trying to recover after an over zealous squeeze of gu into my mouth. I was coated and grossed out. Next time I'll take that a little easier.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 29m 53s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 59s  min/km
Comments:

My running sucks! I knew that going in but wow. At least a hundred people passed me. All those I worked so hard to reel in on the bike paid me back. Got to the first mile marker and told myself it was time to kick it up a little. Legs didn't listen. Got to the second mile marker. Legs still didn't listen. Was able to see the finish line, legs still didn't listen. Got in the finish chute and they kicked it up about 10 seconds a mile (amazingly fast-I know!).

Run, run, run, run, run!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Ate giveaways the fruit, walked to transition and then car. Next time I'll jump back in the water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor running. Need more practice running on roads instead of treadmill. I'll get there though.

Event comments:

Very happy with first triathlon. Everyone was very supportive. Achieved all my goals. I'm kicking myself for my running ability as I could have place much better if I could just hold my own on the run. But I did it!!!

Last updated: 2004-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:50 | 1000 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/912
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra longjohn
Course: 200 out, 600 parallel to shore, 200 in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:33 | 25 kms | 30.90 km/hr
Overall: 195/912
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Rolling. Two lap course up and down Pacific Coast highway. Way out had headwinds and was a gradual ascent.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:53 | 05 kms | 05m 59s  min/km
Overall: 544/912
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly a long gradual uphill. Up from the beach to Coast highway and one loop on the highway.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-05-25 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Subject: Carlsbad Triathlon 2004

2004-05-25 3:24 PM
in reply to: #27163

User image

Regular
Romeoville, IL
Subject: RE: Carlsbad Triathlon 2004
I love the sock story! you could wear mismatched socks for every tri now- a trademark!
2004-05-25 4:40 PM
in reply to: #27163

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Carlsbad Triathlon 2004
you did do it!  great job on your first tri!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlsbad Triathlon 2004 Rss Feed