General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming training accessories? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-02 11:46 PM

User image

utah
Subject: swimming training accessories?

ok, i'm going to be out of the country and will not have swimming partner for approx 3 weeks right in the middle of my training for trin in sept.  i just started using the hand fins (name?) and pull-oys which i can see how this will help develop arm strength that i need badly ... is this a good investment (granted not a lot of money but hey this sport is getting expensive and i haven't even gotten any thing for my bike! or new shoes which i should probably for the race) or should i just focus on doing weight training while I'm gone in addition to swimming? 

it also doesn't look like they will have a lifegaurd but i'm hopeful being a 5 star deluxe hotel it has cholorine!...Also i'm hoping to ask the staff to keep an eye out for me...but being overseas they don't have starndards like the US.  my boss knows too so hopefully i can talk him into swimming laps with me .. though i have to admit that's a long shot. 

the thing is i really like the hand things .. and pull-ouys really help me focus on form and hip placement.  really if i can get my muscles built up in my shoulders and arms, i'll be a pretty good swimmer.  the only nagging problem is the turning to breathe to the left usually drowns me so i go right exclusively and i'm not sure how much rotation to give...sometimes it appears that good swimmers rotate whole body .. others only the head...so i can't figure it out.  i try not to dip hips when breathing.. that is my goal to stay on top of the water gliding though i'm about as graceful as a hippo! LOL and not the dancing ones in fantasia with pink tutus.

thanks!

2004-07-03 5:15 AM
in reply to: #35131

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
Subject: RE: swimming training accessories?
if u have a hotel pool and can swim i really wouldnt worry about a lifeguard. where are you going away to? most pools in 5* hotels are very well maintained. also i would do as much as you can so swim and run (how long r u away for btw?)

as for the breathing problem u need to incorperate some drills to work on left side breathing, e.g. do 100m sets breathing on every 3rd stroke for the first 25m, then 5th for the next 25, then 7th then back to 3. as these are odd numbers you will be alternating your breathing side

when u mention how people breath, i am no expert but in total immersion there seems to be more body rotation than in the standard technique so it could be that???

do u have swimming classes as these may help with breathing, body position etc. and show u how to correctly get the most out of you swimming accesories, but of course don't rely too heavily on them as they do give a false sense of ability sometimes (like pull-bouys - when it feels like you are just gliding through the water), so i think u want to make sure you mix your trainning up (which i am sure u do anyway

Edited by ginger ninja 2004-07-03 5:21 AM
2004-07-03 1:21 PM
in reply to: #35131

User image

utah
Subject: RE: swimming training accessories?

I'll be in Bangalore.  From the looks of the hotel where I'll be staying its more than a 25m but it doesn't list the depth.  I'm hoping not more than 5 ft over the span.  I didn't see a diving board which should mean it's a constant depth.  The last time I was there in Dec. different city...the pool seemed clean but you couldn't smell chlorine which made me suspicous.  I wasn't into swimming then so it didn't really matter.  Now however I need the swim time if I am not to drown in the open water portion of the sprint.  I was originally going to be gone for 6 weeks but it appears now only to be 3 weeks.  I'll be back 4 wks prior to the sprint.  Just in time to start doing some real open water trials.  It better only be 3 weeks or my training partner will kill me ! LOL -- I figure unless i'm there till after the event that I'm doing it just for the experience even if i happen to finish last which I'm sorta counting on now.  Looking at last year's finishing times I'm definitely not going to place unless i'm one of the only in my age group which is possible

I'm planning on joining a swim club after I return if things go well to help motivate my swimming ability and discipline.  I'm an admitted upper body whimp.  I hate pushup or dips or crunches -- :| which means that I have horrible core stamina ... so I'm tring to work on that a bit and swimming.  Biking which i assumed would be my weakest portion is turning out to be the strongest.  Running is just getting back into shape more or less as I was doing 30 miles a week 2 years ago.  So, it's a matter of building back up.  swimming on the other hand is difficult for me...but I'm guessing it conditioning and a lot of technique issues.  I am hoping that I can get help from the swim coach and focus mainly on that this winter. 

Thanks!

Edited by tri_puppy 2004-07-03 1:28 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming training accessories? Rss Feed