Sandman Tri
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 22s
Overall Rank = 110/467
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/67
Pre-race routine:

Up at 0500 ate banana, yogurt and 24oz water. Showered and left the house. Swim was cancelled due to Ivan bringing high winds (25mph) really high waves and rip currents. Coverted it to a biathlon. 5k run/14miles bike/100meter dash.
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 23m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good. I wanted to go faster but the wind scarred me especially for the bike so I held some back.
What would you do differently?:

This short of a race. Just go all out!
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Transition was pretty smooth. I already had my socks on so just slip off the running shoes and slip on the cycling shoes.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 40m 4s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.97 mile/hr
Comments:

It started out pretty rough but once I settled in and got my legs back from the run I was able to hold 17mph into the wind. We made a turn to the west and behind some woods so I was able to pick it up to around 21mph. At the turn around we had a head wind again for about a mile but once we made the turn south, oh yeah baby pay dirt!!! I was able to avg over 27mph with spurts up to 29. I was nice to feel what the pros ride like even for a little while.

Train harder in a bigger gear to simulate heavy wind.
Post race
Warm down:

After the run we had a 100 meter sprint to the finish. Hello cramps in the hamstrings. Pushed through it though. My transition from the run was only 56 seconds. I kept my cycling shoes on for the sprint. Ha Ha mtnbiking shoes paid off for once. It took me 30 seconds to run the 199 meters. I honestly did not think I was that fast. It seemed like forever!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Just need to keep training and doing speed work for the run and power and speed for the bike.

Event comments:

Free beer and food for the post race. Completely humbled at the awards cerimony. Found out a 56 year old man kicked my butt....Hey that is something to look forward to. 16 more years of good racing left. How can that be a bad thing. Right?

Last updated: 2004-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:18 | 03.1 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/67
Overall: 0/467
Performance: Good
Started out with a severe tailwind. Was running with the pack at 94% of maxhr. Made myself slow down because the return was straight back into the wind. Really really bad head wind. Past several of those who past me going down. Had several people drafting off of my run so I picked up the pace a little and dropped all but one. He would pass me into the wind then get tired so I would pass him. We traded all the way back neither could pull away.
Course: Down the boardwalk and back. Tailwind down and headwind back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:40:04 | 14 miles | 20.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/67
Overall: 0/467
Performance: Good
Held about 90% maxhr the whole way out then picked it up on the way back.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Straight out into a 25mph headwind. The hotels along the beach made it swirl sometimes almost knocking you over. At one point I thought I was riding my bike on a ship underway in heavy seas. I was riding straight leaning to one side.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-09-20 10:48 PM

User image

Regular
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Sandman

2004-09-20 11:00 PM
in reply to: #64434

User image

Regular
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Sandman
I want to thank all the people of this site who always speak up to help. Out there on the course with the wind beating you down I was thinking that I was racing for a team and could not let the team down. I vow to improve even more for the next one. Thank you for your great support.

No matter what challenge is ahead stick to your plan give at least 90% in each leg and you will have given well over 100% by the end with no regrets.

Scott
2004-09-21 8:12 AM
in reply to: #64437

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
Subject: RE: Sandman
Great to hear you had such a great time!! Next time, (maybe Breezy Point?!?!) we NEED to meet each other! =)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sandman Rss Feed