BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-12-22 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now is fine!

NAME: Bethany

STORY: I started triathlon in 2009. Immediately I became quite obsessed and haven't stopped since! I have been a personal trainer for 10 years now, and have a masters degree in Health Education. Also, I have been a USAT Level 1 coach for two years now, and serve as a volunteer coach for my local triathlon club.

Fact: In my first triathlon, I lost my bike in the transition area for several minutes and that unfortunately, wasn't the last time that's happened!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two children who happen to be canine!

CURRENT TRAINING: 2011 was my first year of being coached, which I love. Believe power/pace are the gold standard, but am versed in HR training as well. On the first real unstructured 'break' I've had since I've started but that all ends starting next week! Generally, my weeks are in the 13-17 hour range. I follow more of an intensity based approach than high volume (obviously)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I completed Ironman Louisville and Ironman Florida, along with a sprinkling of halves, sprints, and running races.

2012 RACES: My big races are New Orleans 70.3, Ironman St. George, Augusta 70.3, and Kona

WEIGHTLOSS: I usually gain 5 lbs or so in the winter but I cycle back once heavy training starts. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:I love triathlon, I love helping people who want to perform better at triathlon, and I love learning from new people! Because I focus on mostly long distance, I would invite members to join who are thinking about/training for Ironman or halves. If you want to share ideas and race him/Ironman, then this group is for you!

Edited by ATLrunr 2012-01-09 8:51 PM

2012-01-05 11:56 PM
in reply to: #3950650

User image

Subject: RE: ATLrunr's IM/HIM group OPEN!
Can i join this group. this will be my third  season of triathlon and my second year of going long. Will post a full bio later.
2012-01-06 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yes... great to have you silverback! Looking forward to the full bio and your 2012 race schedule...

2012-01-06 10:48 AM

User image

Hi Bethany,...I'm interested in joining your mentoring group, if possible. After reading all of the open mentor groups, I think yours is a good fit as my aim in 2012 is to focus on Ironman training and competing.

NAME: Andrew

STORY: I've been a runner for twelve years, and with a few exceptions, have run long distances regularly since, including multiple official and unofficial half's, and marathons. I haven't focused on PR's so much as the desire to just live a healthy lifestyle. My biking story is much less interesting, having been a recreational biker on and off for ten years or so, and I've no swimming experience. Swimming is my primary goal with this site and mentoring program. I don't fear the biking as much as the swimming (perhaps I'm completely oblivious there), so I'm really looking for guidance there. The time is ripe for me too, as I just started my swimming training last night with an embarrassingly meager and labored 400m workout!

FAMILY STATUS: I am the happiest married man in the world (2 years and 4 days!) and have two girls (Myah and Johanna), with a boy expected in May. Although my wife is also training for similar goals, balancing our desire to train with our family responsibilities is always tough.

CURRENT TRAINING: I currently run as often as I can, anywhere from 4 to 10 miles, as my training needs require. I started my swimming training last night on a plan I found on the internet to take me first from 0-700, and then from 0-1650, and then up to 2.4 miles. I offset my swimming with a weight workout focused on swimming muscles. I also joined a YMCA triathlon swimming program which starts this Monday.

2011 RACES: Several 5k's, 5 milers, and half-marathons. Trained for Burlington, VT marathon with my wife but did not compete after she fractured her ankle near race day (we volunteered instead).

2012 RACES: 4-5 10 milers between Jan. and June; Caesar Rodney Half-Marathon (Wilmington, DE) in March; Burlington, VT Marathon in May; Perkiomen, PA Half-Marathon in August; Lancaster, PA Half-Marathon in September; Beach-to-Battleship Ironman (swimming leg only - for now), North Carolina in October.

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm currently 175 and would welcome the 150's.

2012-01-06 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice to meet you, Andrew! 400 is not bad for just starting out. Have you had any formal lessons? You're in a unique spot where you have the option to get help Before you ingrain stroke habits. Looks like you have good running experience and lots of run races on tap. Planning any tris in 2012 ?

Edited by ATLrunr 2012-01-06 2:52 PM
2012-01-06 3:14 PM

User image

Expert

I would like to join this group if possible as I will be doing my second Ironman this year at IMAZ in November.

NAME: Briana

STORY: I did my first marathon in 2005 with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and the very next weekend did my first sprint triathlon.  I've been hooked on both ever since.  I've done 12 marathons and would eventually like to be a part of the 50 state club.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 16 year old daughter who just started driving (yikes!) and a 13 year old son.  Daughter plays volleyball and son plays soccer, so many weekends are filled with games or tournaments, which makes the training tough at times.

CURRENT TRAINING: I currently train 6-7 days a week (depending on kid's events).  I spent most of 2011 focused on running due to trying to set a new PR at the Chicago marathon (which I did), but am slowly getting back into all three disciplines.  

2011 RACES: did a little of each distance race in running, but only did two triathlons last year - one of which was in Hawaii while on vacation.

2012 RACES: half marathon in January, 15k in February, 10k in March, hoping for Lonestar 70.3 in April, Lake Pflugerville tri in June and possibly Redman full Aquabike while training for IMAZ.

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm pretty happy with where I am at, but would like to tone the abs and arms a little more this year.

2012-01-07 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3975581

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice to meet you, Briana. How did you like AZ? I would really like to do that one sometime.50 stater, huh? That's impressive....
2012-01-07 8:47 AM

User image

Hi Bethany, I would love to be in your group. I will be racing the Syracuse 70.3, IM Lake Placid, and a few shorter events this year. Having you and the group for information and motivation will be awesome. I will include more bio info later, thanks for having me...  John

2012-01-07 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3975527

User image

No formal lessons for me. I start a tri- swim class Monday evening and am hoping to capitalize on good advice there, maybe even meet some experienced tri- swimmers, or others in training.

Tris planned for 2012: Not registered yet, but eyeing up PoconoMountain IM on 9/30 for now.

2012-01-07 11:17 PM

New user

Toronto

Hi Bethany...I am interested in joining your group if you'll have me!  I like that your focus is on IM and HIMs.  As for me, I have never done an IM/HIM but am targeting to do my first in 2012.

Name: Alex

Story: Have always been interested in running an Ironman.  Before jumping in with both feet I thought I start with a Half Ironman.  I would consider myself a runner. Ran my one and only marathon (Chicago) in 2001.  My brother-in-law recently took up the IM sport and did Muskoka in 2011 and he's hooked.  He is encouraging me to do one with him this year; had originally targeted Mount Tremblant.

Family: Married 12 years with 2 daughters (8 and 5).

Current Training: Started training on my running about a month ago.  It's progressing well.  I would say it is the strongest of the 3 disciplines for me (followed by bike and swim).  Just started swimming training last Sunday (have gone out 3 times this week).

2012 Races: Right now I'm focused on the HIM (70.3) in Muskoka on Sept. 9th (I turn 40 on Sept. 10th so this would be a good way to celebrate that milestone birthday).  Haven't signed up yet.

Weight Loss: None; I'm 5'8" and currently weigh 160lbs.  I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.

2012-01-08 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3976476

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome....good to have you, John. I've always wanted to do LP, too. Looking forward to a full bio!

2012-01-08 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3977554

User image

Extreme Veteran
abf826 - 2012-01-07 10:35 PM

No formal lessons for me. I start a tri- swim class Monday evening and am hoping to capitalize on good advice there, maybe even meet some experienced tri- swimmers, or others in training.

Tris planned for 2012: Not registered yet, but eyeing up PoconoMountain IM on 9/30 for now.

Cool. Likely this will be very helpful for you. Hopefully, when you say it is a class that means there is an experienced coach on deck.Ah...70.3 Poconos in the fall...gives you plenty of time!
2012-01-08 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3977576

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great, Alex, nice to meet you! Jumping in with both feet..and what a great way to spend a milestone bday! Are you planning to do a few shorter tris en route to your 70.3?
2012-01-08 11:34 AM

User image

Name: John

Story: I started training for my first triathlon pretty much the day after I got home after watching the Lake Placid Ironman in 2009. I was a life-long basketball player but was getting tired of the yearly ankle sprains and other injuries that basketball can cause. IMLP just blew me away with the emotion and energy of the racers, I had never done a race of any kind but I knew I had found something that would be extremely hard but equally satisfying.It has turned out to be a whole life-style change that at 47 I did not see coming at age 40. It's been a good influence for my two sons as well.

Family Status: Married for 21 yrs. 2 boys, in H.S & college.

Current Training: Now in week #2 of competitive BeIronFit. My swim training is based more on Total Immersion swim training for triathlon book from a few years ago. More focus on form and tech. with lots of 100 yd repeats than long dist. sets. I lose focus with endless laps...

This Years Races: I ran a few road races and duathlons in the early season, Syracuse 70.3 in Sept.

2012 Races: Syracuse 70.3 & IMLP , a few road races.

2012-01-08 8:51 PM

User image

Hi Bethany, Your title had IM/HIM, and those are the only distances I'm interested in, so if you'll take another one, I'm in for sure.

NAME:  Joey

STORY:  Ran my first marathon in 2009 after running while on deployment (helicopter pilot) and realizing that at 34 I had never ran one.  Ran 4 that year and 1 in 2010 before deploying again.  During my last deployment, realized I wanted to attempt triathlons, even though I knew how bad I am at swimming. I was able to run as much as I wanted, and had a bike with my trainer there too to get my riding in. Got home Sept 20111 (hope to be home for a few years) and ran another marathon in October (would like to run all 50 states before I die).

FAMILY STATUS:  Married to the greatest woman on the planet who puts up with me training and 2 wonderful girls (9 and 2).

CURRENT TRAINING: Started swimming in October once I returned home. Currently in masters swim class 3 days a week swimming 2400-3600 meters each class. I'm slow and I'm still building up endurance.  Running and biking 6 days a week.  Using two programs as guides for my training, but adjusting them to fit my race schedule.  Training around 10-12 hours a week.  I got two goals, HIM in spring, IM in the fall.

2012 RACES:  Feb 17, Myrtle Beach Marathon; April 21 TryCharleston HIM (my first triathlon, yippee.  Figured my first run race was a half marathon, why not make my first tri a HIM); B2B IM in Oct (if the HIM in April goes okay)

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm 5'9" and 170. A little big for a tri guy, but quitting Crossfit and sticking with just the big 3 might help me lose 4 or 5 lbs.

2012-01-08 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3977830

New user

Toronto

Hi Bethany...thanks for getting back to me.  I hadn't really thought about doing any shorter races.  I'm not against it; just don't know what races are available.   Where can I find more info about shorter races?

2012-01-09 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3976410

User image

Expert

ATLrunr - 2012-01-07 8:00 AM Nice to meet you, Briana. How did you like AZ? I would really like to do that one sometime.50 stater, huh? That's impressive....

I loved the town of Tempe and the location seems great for an IM, but I am dreading the cold water.  I get cold VERY easily, so water temps in the 60s is way cold for me.  I need to get faster on the swim to get out of the water sooner.

The goal is 50 stater, but we'll see if I can do it.  With kids, it's hard to get in more than one destination event a year.  Once they are off at college, I'll have to start doing several in one year in order to get it done.  And I'm sure at some point I'll stop caring about my times.  

2012-01-09 9:37 AM

User image

Hi Bethany - I would like to join this group if you still have room. 

NAME: Scott

STORY: I have always been a big guy.  I swam competitively all the way from grade school through high school.  Once I left for college the exercise stopped and I gained a lot of weight.  January of 2009 I was at my biggest (around 260) and joined a gym with my wife and was committed to getting in better shape.  I got down to about 219 in a year while working out with a trainer.  In March of 2010 I ran my first half marathon . . . it was actually my first of any run distance race.  From March 2010 to last summer I just kept working out at the gym on a regular basis but had no real goals until the beginning of last summer.  I was inspired from a collegue to do a triathlon so I bagan training for a Sprint at the end of the summer.  I joined the masters swim class at my gym and bought a good entry level bike and the training began.  I hadn't rode a bike since probably high school but it didn't take too long to get used to riding again.  Like they say it's as easy as riding a bike.  Anyhow, I did my first sprint tri last October and finished at 1:27.  My goal was to break and an hour and a half so I was happy with the results.  Once I finished the race I decided that the following year I would do a HIM.  So here I am looking for some mentoring and inspiration. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids (7 and 5) and a dog.

CURRENT TRAINING: With work and kids my training schedule is hard to do sometimes.  I go to Masters swim 2 mornings a week (5am) and do strength training 2 or 3 days a week.  I also run either at the gym or at home on the treadmill.  I have not been riding much lately but am looking at buying a trainer to do some inside training.  Finding time to go on outside rides seems to be a challenge for me.

2012 RACES: Augusta 70.3 is the goal and before that I plan on doing some sprints and olympic distance races.  Maybe 2 of each.

WEIGHTLOSS: Right now I am about 227 and my ultimate goal is to get below 200.  I have not been in the 100's since high school.

Thanks and looking forward to the group.

Scott

2012-01-09 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
DC

I'd also like to join the group- I'm getting back into training and need the focus and camaraderie that a mentor group provides.  I'll pass along my full bio and a bit more detail later this afternoon...

Thanks!

2012-01-09 2:04 PM

New user

Michigan
Bethany. If you still have openings I would like to join. A very short bio so you know what you might be dealing with: I am 48 year old woman. Distance running has been my focus for about 8 years, but last summer I became interested in tris. I have done a bit of bike touring over the years and was a swimmer in high school so I had some background in those areas. I have done several sprint tris and one hybrid (called Battle of Waterloo here in Michigan). I just came off my marathon training (Marine Corps in October and just finished the Goofy Challenge at Disney). I'm signed up for my first HIM at Welland in June and have about a month before training starts for that. Hope this is the right info. Jaye
2012-01-09 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Bethany,

I'd like to join if you have room.  Let me know.  I'll update my logs on BT as I'm already a week into my plan for IMCDA.

Bio:  I'm 29 and newly relocated to the east coast in Philadelphia.  I've lived all over the states, but grew up in Philly and had the opportunity to move back after living for 10 years in the Pacific NW (Hence why I was registered for IMCDA before moving!)  I'm married with a young son and a dog.  I work in intercollegiate athletics and love the energy of being in higher education.

I got into triathlon to lose weight at the 'encouraging' of a friend who is a distance runner.  5 seasons and 50 lost lbs later, I'm ready to tackle the IM distance.  I did mainly sprint and oly races my first 3 years and did 2 HIMs last year.  

Looking for a good mentor and group that will keep me accountable and encourage me on my road to becoming an Ironman!

2012-01-09 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3977963

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alright... glad to get your bio.. sounds like you found a good plan. This was kindof going to be my next question for everyone (though some of you touched on it) What plan are you using? Or are you doing your own plan, winging it, waiting till Feb 1 to start etc.
2012-01-09 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3978810

User image

Extreme Veteran
Joey Blankenship - 2012-01-08 8:51 PM

Hi Bethany, Your title had IM/HIM, and those are the only distances I'm interested in, so if you'll take another one, I'm in for sure.

NAME:  Joey

STORY:  Ran my first marathon in 2009 after running while on deployment (helicopter pilot) and realizing that at 34 I had never ran one.  Ran 4 that year and 1 in 2010 before deploying again.  During my last deployment, realized I wanted to attempt triathlons, even though I knew how bad I am at swimming. I was able to run as much as I wanted, and had a bike with my trainer there too to get my riding in. Got home Sept 20111 (hope to be home for a few years) and ran another marathon in October (would like to run all 50 states before I die).

FAMILY STATUS:  Married to the greatest woman on the planet who puts up with me training and 2 wonderful girls (9 and 2).

CURRENT TRAINING: Started swimming in October once I returned home. Currently in masters swim class 3 days a week swimming 2400-3600 meters each class. I'm slow and I'm still building up endurance.  Running and biking 6 days a week.  Using two programs as guides for my training, but adjusting them to fit my race schedule.  Training around 10-12 hours a week.  I got two goals, HIM in spring, IM in the fall.

2012 RACES:  Feb 17, Myrtle Beach Marathon; April 21 TryCharleston HIM (my first triathlon, yippee.  Figured my first run race was a half marathon, why not make my first tri a HIM); B2B IM in Oct (if the HIM in April goes okay)

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm 5'9" and 170. A little big for a tri guy, but quitting Crossfit and sticking with just the big 3 might help me lose 4 or 5 lbs.

Joey, glad to have you. Sounds like when you're in , you're ALL in ! I like it.  Sounds like you have a good running base and are taking the right steps with the swimming. How is the cycling going?

2012-01-09 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3980408

User image

Extreme Veteran
japewang - 2012-01-09 3:31 PM

Bethany,

I'd like to join if you have room.  Let me know.  I'll update my logs on BT as I'm already a week into my plan for IMCDA.

Bio:  I'm 29 and newly relocated to the east coast in Philadelphia.  I've lived all over the states, but grew up in Philly and had the opportunity to move back after living for 10 years in the Pacific NW (Hence why I was registered for IMCDA before moving!)  I'm married with a young son and a dog.  I work in intercollegiate athletics and love the energy of being in higher education.

I got into triathlon to lose weight at the 'encouraging' of a friend who is a distance runner.  5 seasons and 50 lost lbs later, I'm ready to tackle the IM distance.  I did mainly sprint and oly races my first 3 years and did 2 HIMs last year.  

Looking for a good mentor and group that will keep me accountable and encourage me on my road to becoming an Ironman!

alright.. good for you. So which plan are you using? Love how you have the picture of  your dog in the family pic. My dogs are my children so I appreciate other dog lovers!

Edited by ATLrunr 2012-01-09 8:48 PM
2012-01-09 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3979420

User image

Extreme Veteran
bar92 - 2012-01-09 8:58 AM

ATLrunr - 2012-01-07 8:00 AM Nice to meet you, Briana. How did you like AZ? I would really like to do that one sometime.50 stater, huh? That's impressive....

I loved the town of Tempe and the location seems great for an IM, but I am dreading the cold water.  I get cold VERY easily, so water temps in the 60s is way cold for me.  I need to get faster on the swim to get out of the water sooner.

The goal is 50 stater, but we'll see if I can do it.  With kids, it's hard to get in more than one destination event a year.  Once they are off at college, I'll have to start doing several in one year in order to get it done.  And I'm sure at some point I'll stop caring about my times.  

Well you survived the cold okay before, so what are your best practices? Seriously , I am in the same boat as you.. that is really my one concern about St. George. I suspect you have many many years to go before you stop caring about your times.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  

of 14