BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-04-21 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed!

NAME: PirateGirl a.k.a. Elaine

STORY: I started triathlon about 4 years ago. I came from a mountain biking background, and learned to swim and sort of run for my first tri. I got hooked and have been training and racing ever since. I've done just about every distance (sprint, olympic, Half Iron, Ironman) and Xterras (off-road tris). You won't find me at the top of any age group rankings, as I have to work hard to even finish mid-to-back-of pack. But I do this for fun and fitness. I'm also active in my local tri club, the Tucson Tri Girls. This year I'm the VP (was Prez last year). I've been vegetarian for 17 years, so if other veggie folks have questions, feel free to ask!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Zac for 9 years. He's my main supporter. He doesn't do triathlons, but will mountain bike and run with me once in awhile.

CURRENT TRAINING: Most of this year so far has been focused on Ironman training for the April IMAZ. Now that I've finished IMAZ, I'm recovering and getting ready to start training for Xterras again. Most of the time I follow one of the BT training plans, but since there isn't one for Xterra I'll be making up my own.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (completed):

• PF Chang's 1/2 marathon - ran with my husband and we PRed at 2:14
  • Sedona 1/2 marathon - very hilly course and finished at 2:17
  • Various 10Ks to help with speed work 
  • IMAZ - Finished! About 18% of the field DNFed due to heat and other issues, but thankfully this year I wasn't one. No, I won't be doing another IM for a very long time.

2008 RACES: 

• Mad Mud Run, Tempe, AZ - May 3. It's a 5 mile run with obstacles thrown in between each mile. The final obstacle is a mud pit you have to crawl through. I'm doing this with a friend of mine for fun.
  • Tucson Summer Aquathlon Series, Tucson, AZ - May 28 - Aug ??. 800 yd swim, 5K run. I use these as a weekly speed workout.
  • Deuces Wild Xterra, Show Low, AZ - June 1. 800 yd swim, 15 mile mountain bike, and 5 mile trail run, including running through the lake. I'm hoping to really improve over past year's results at this one.
  • Four Corners Xterra, Farmington, NM - June 7. 1400 yd swim, 6 mile trail run, 17 mile mountain bike. First year this race is being done, and it's kind of strange with a swim, run, bike order. We'll see how it goes!
  • Firecracker Tri, Tucson, AZ - July 6. Sprint tri of 750 meter swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run. Doing this just because I've done it a few years ago and want to see if I've gotten faster.
  • Snow Valley Xterra, Running Springs, CA - August 3. 1000 yd swim, 11 mile mountian bike, 4 mile trail run. Supposedly a very difficult course as it's on a ski run on the side of a mountain, and the lake is in the middle.
  • Xterra USA Nationals, Lake Tahoe, NV - October 5. I'm hoping to collect enough points to get the invitation to the Xterra nationals. If I get there, I'm just hoping to survive the race and make all the cutoffs!

WEIGHTLOSS: Last year I gained 10 lbs after my attempt at IMAZ, and it took forever to work it off. My goal right now is to maintain the weight I'm at and not gain 10 lbs now that IMAZ is over.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:

1. I will not tell you to HTFU (Harden The F Up). It's a term that's running rampant on BT right now. I feel it adds no constructive feedback and is a cop-out response. If you're having difficulty, I'll take the time to try to understand and help.
  2. I found that training for IM was very selfish. I had no time for others as I was always focused on myself and my training. Well that's over now, and I'm done with "me" for awhile. I'm looking forward to helping you meet your goals.
  3. I'm not naturally gifted at any of this. I know what it's like to be out on the course for a long time, to be the last one across the finish line, to DNF, and to struggle with maintaining motivation in training. I also know what it's like to come out of the water 30 minutes ahead of my best estimated time, to stick to a training plan and do 100%, and to push beyond the dark and tough times in a race. It's been a lot of work, but I've learned a lot and I'm hoping to pass some of those tips onto you.
  4. I'm on BT almost every single day, so I won't disappear (unless an unforseen emergency happens) and I will be checking on you. I log every single workout (I'm a bit Type A about that ) and hopefully during this mentoring time you'll do the same. That way, we can learn from each other.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Edited by PirateGirl 2008-04-23 12:30 PM

2008-04-23 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1351583

User image

Master
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - OPEN

Hi Elaine-

I'm Cynthia, a 36yo mom of 1and 3 yos.  I did a mini tri a couple weeks ago but my "real" first tri is a 400yOWS/13mibike/5krun sprint in June.  I'm following a training plan from trinewbies and (besides being sick the past week) feel like I'm doing pretty well.  my husband decided to do the tri (s) with me, but he's not a training partner, his method is "just be a little more active than before" which so far has meant joining me for most weekend workouts and a couple independent workouts.  i like following my training plan and clearly seeing progress.

I was a runner in high school and recall my race day mental strength could have been better.  I loved cheering you through IMAZ and would love someone to cheer me! 

I'm considering a 5K in midMay and a muddybuddy course 2 weeks before my tri but have not signed up for either yet, waiting on some logistics (babysitting and a partner for muddybuddy).  I also need to do some OWS practice, swimming is not my strength.  I get my new road bike road-ready; I've been riding my mtn bike with mud hawgs.

Before kids I was a regular outdoor rockclimber.  When there was just one kid, I hiked a lot with her. After my June sprint, I don't know what is next.  I certainly loved the mini a couple weeks ago, but I don't know if I'm settling into a new lifestyle or if this is a one-off   July I will mostly be on travel too so I wonder what level of fitness I'd be able to maintain.

-Cynthia 

2008-04-23 9:02 AM

User image

Kansas

Pirate Girl aka Elaine: I was in a mentor group previous to this and found it extremely helpful. I was sad to see it end....I'm just in the middle of training for my very first tri in June and don't want to lose motivation and found I kept going at times when I didn't want to simply because of the BT group!

So, here's a little bit about me.  I live in Topeka, Kansas where you would think it was flat, but it is not at all.  We have some of the worse killer hills here! I will be turning 50 in a few weeks. That was the impetus for me to do this in the first place. I wanted to do something meaningful this year and decided that this would be the thing to do. I am married to Bret, a true road bike guy who even went to France last year and biked several stages of the Tour de France. He is very supportive as are my three daughters (and three grandchildren!). I weighed in at a whopping 153.5 pounds in January on a 5' frame so I was actually a little fat thing and now I'm down to 124 with a goal of 112. Not sure when I'll get there, but I have a nutritionist and doctor that I'm working with so that I make sure I keep healthy.  I was also diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis four years ago so I do have some added issues, but since I've been training, my MS has actually been less of a problem than before! 

I ran my very first 5K race this past Saturday and had a blast! Didn't plan or prepare as well as I would have liked, but it was a great experience and it has made me even more determined and excited for my triathlon. I will be doing a sprint tri and have had the chance to go over and look over the course. I've joined a new tri club here and will be having swim, run and bike clinics with them over the next few weeks as well as a planned swim at the very lake of the tri so we can all get used to it. 

I have been using a combination training program of the beginner program from BT and another program that right now I can't remember the guy's name!  I have found swimming to be more fun than I originally anticipated and am discovering I can run further than I think I can.  The winter was awful here and that really made it difficult sometimes to get in my training and so I am beginning to realize that I have about 7 weeks til my event and I'm getting a tad nervous. I know I won't finish in the top of the pack. And I may very well be the last one to cross the finish line, but right now all I want to do is FINISH THIS FIRST ONE! I have a feeling, though, that I'm going to like it and will want to improve my times and maybe even move up from the sprint.  But, one thing at a time, right?

I, too, like to post my training every day that I train. And I do like the fact that your focus isn't on telling me to go bust my butt. (Although I know occasionally that may very well be what I need...it isn't the kind of thing that truly motivates me) I know that the first time I went to the pool it was extremely difficult because I was so fat! The gals in the last group I was in encouraged me enough that I had the guts to go.  That's what I need.  

So, that's me in a nutshell.  Can't wait to get a group going and get training!

2008-04-23 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
Howdy Elaine,

My name is Paul, I'm a 43 year old father of the 5 year old in my avatar. My wife of 6 years is supportive. I started training about 9 months ago & did my first sprint a couple weeks ago. I don't use a training plan yet, I just try to get in as much work as my crazy schedule & old body allows.

I have another sprint in June & I'll decide what's next after that. I've met most of my short term goals & am working toward a marathon & a HIM maybe next year.

I'm looking for a active mentor group I can contribute to. Thanks!
2008-04-23 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1356468

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

movingsouth - 2008-04-23 6:00 AM

I'm considering a 5K in midMay and a muddybuddy course 2 weeks before my tri but have not signed up for either yet, waiting on some logistics (babysitting and a partner for muddybuddy).  I also need to do some OWS practice, swimming is not my strength.  I get my new road bike road-ready; I've been riding my mtn bike with mud hawgs.

Hi Cynthia! Welcome!

Which MuddyBuddy are you looking to do in June? I highly recommend them. They are a BLAST! OMG you will have so much fun! I've done the one in LA in November a few times. Last year I dressed up as (you guessed it) a pirate. Just don't crawl through the mud pit on your knees. I learned the hard way the first time the sand tears your kneecaps up. I sort of "swim" my way through, dragging my legs behind. They are popular events and do sell out, so be sure to get registered before that happens.

It's so cool your first tri is in June! We'll all be cheering you on. And if you need any tips or advice for your first one, just let us know. There's nothing like your very first tri. :) I know what you mean about wondering if it will be a lifestyle or not. That's how I approached my first tri. I wasn't sure if I was going to get into them or not, but after my first one I signed up for another a month later.

movingsouth - 2008-04-23 6:00 AM  

July I will mostly be on travel too so I wonder what level of fitness I'd be able to maintain.

Workouts during travel can be tough. I try to find a pool if possible, but mostly just pack the running shoes and work on running, then get back to biking as soon as I return. I hate treadmills, but sometimes it's the only way to get a workout in. I always figure some sort of workout is better than none at all. ;)

Edited by PirateGirl 2008-04-23 10:38 AM
2008-04-23 10:51 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-04-23 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1356477

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Big Mama - 2008-04-23 6:02 AM

Pirate Girl aka Elaine: I was in a mentor group previous to this and found it extremely helpful. I was sad to see it end....I'm just in the middle of training for my very first tri in June and don't want to lose motivation and found I kept going at times when I didn't want to simply because of the BT group!

Welcome to the group TJ! Wow...another first tri in June. How exciting! Yep, we'll do our best to keep ya motivated and help get you to that finish line.

So, here's a little bit about me.  I live in Topeka, Kansas where you would think it was flat, but it is not at all.  We have some of the worse killer hills here! I will be turning 50 in a few weeks. That was the impetus for me to do this in the first place. I wanted to do something meaningful this year and decided that this would be the thing to do. I am married to Bret, a true road bike guy who even went to France last year and biked several stages of the Tour de France. He is very supportive as are my three daughters (and three grandchildren!). I weighed in at a whopping 153.5 pounds in January on a 5' frame so I was actually a little fat thing and now I'm down to 124 with a goal of 112. Not sure when I'll get there, but I have a nutritionist and doctor that I'm working with so that I make sure I keep healthy.  I was also diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis four years ago so I do have some added issues, but since I've been training, my MS has actually been less of a problem than before! 

You'll have to let us know when your birthday is in a few weeks. We may need to plan a group workout of some sort with the number 50 in it to celebrate!

Your weightloss has been amazing! Keep up the fantastic work! Yeah, those last 10 lbs are the tough ones. You start to get happy when the scale moves even 1 lb lower.  I know what that's like!

I ran my very first 5K race this past Saturday and had a blast! Didn't plan or prepare as well as I would have liked, but it was a great experience and it has made me even more determined and excited for my triathlon. I will be doing a sprint tri and have had the chance to go over and look over the course. I've joined a new tri club here and will be having swim, run and bike clinics with them over the next few weeks as well as a planned swim at the very lake of the tri so we can all get used to it. 

The 5K sounds like it was a perfect motivator...now you're motivated to keep up the training! Don't worry, we'll kick ya in the butt when needed (a soft kick ) to make sure you get there.

2008-04-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1356724

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Schrup - 2008-04-23 7:28 AM

Howdy Elaine, My name is Paul, I'm a 43 year old father of the 5 year old in my avatar. My wife of 6 years is supportive. I started training about 9 months ago & did my first sprint a couple weeks ago. I don't use a training plan yet, I just try to get in as much work as my crazy schedule & old body allows. I have another sprint in June & I'll decide what's next after that. I've met most of my short term goals & am working toward a marathon & a HIM maybe next year. I'm looking for a active mentor group I can contribute to. Thanks!

Hi Paul! Welcome to our quickly growing mentor group!

Congrats on your first sprint tri! I just checked out your race report. Hey, I'll help ya with the OW swimming part if you can teach me to run like that. Holy cow! Awesome job!

Another race in June...this is becoming a theme for our group. If peeps are looking to join our group and don't have a race in June, they may want to find one. June is going to be fun around here!

2008-04-23 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1356791

Elite
Tucson, AZ

wgraves7582 - 2008-04-23 7:51 AM

Elaine (Pirate Girl) I would love to be a part of your group after seeing you kill IMAZ I want that for a mentor!

My name is Bill, I am 41, Married for 13 years, 12 y/o Daughter, 10 y/o Son.

My training is really bike focused because I love the bike and doing endurance events on it but I still swim 3-4 days a week and run quite a bit as well.

I am signed up the Rhode Island 70.3 (my first Tri - might as well make it hard) will probably try to get into a local before then just for transition work practice. Currently in a marathon training program for Memorial Day weekend and plan on hitting another one in October to hopefully BQ. Doing a couple of 100 mile mt bike rides and would love to find an xterra to do and some trail runs. Also doing an Adventure Race in November in Kentucky again this year.

Hi Bill! I definitely have to welcome a fellow dirt lover!

Heh...go big or go home, right? I think you'll do great in the 70.3! You defininitely have the bike and run base. Transitions aren't that bad and if you practice a few bricks in training, you'll get used to the heavy leg feeling from bike to run. Thankfully the swim is the shortest part of the whole race.  We should be able to track you online for the 70.3, which will be a ton of fun for us!

100 mile MTB rides?! I'll need to ask you about those. I have a crazy thought in my head to try one in the future. In the meantime, my husband is toying with the idea of us doing a 24 hr race as a duo team next February. We've only been on 5 person teams, so I'll have to up the endurance on the MTB. Definitley much different than road riding endurance.

wgraves7582 - 2008-04-23 7:51 AM

I am a poor swimmer, fair runner, and a good biker. I need to focus more on swimming but I love being outside and Lake Erie is not quite warm enough yet. Hope to meet some cool peeps and to keep the motivation going through the summer. Been pretty consistent but definetly need to find a swim coach and the motivation to do it more than just after running and riding and lifting.

Ok, we'll keep on your tail on the swimming. You've got to get through that swim in the 70.3 in order to get to your favorite sports. That's what I always think when I'm out there..."Get me out of this water so that I can get on my bike!"

2008-04-23 11:15 AM

2008-04-23 11:23 AM

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Wow...you guys are making me work this morning! People are joining faster than I can reply. Hey, that's cool.

Roll call so far:

movingsouth - Cynthia
Big Mama - TJ
Schrup - Paul
wgraves7582 - Bill

I'm going to cap our group at 7. The recommendation is 5-10. I want to offer a quality mentoring experience for all of you, and I know 10 would be a bit much for me to keep track of. 7 is a good number.

So that means 3 spots left! (Heh...this is like Ironman sign-ups online! )

2008-04-23 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1356741

Master
PirateGirl - 2008-04-23 8:35 AM

Hi Cynthia! Welcome!

Which MuddyBuddy are you looking to do in June? I highly recommend them. They are a BLAST! OMG you will have so much fun! I've done the one in LA in November a few times. Last year I dressed up as (you guessed it) a pirate. Just don't crawl through the mud pit on your knees. I learned the hard way the first time the sand tears your kneecaps up. I sort of "swim" my way through, dragging my legs behind. They are popular events and do sell out, so be sure to get registered before that happens.

It's so cool your first tri is in June! We'll all be cheering you on. And if you need any tips or advice for your first one, just let us know. There's nothing like your very first tri. I know what you mean about wondering if it will be a lifestyle or not. That's how I approached my first tri. I wasn't sure if I was going to get into them or not, but after my first one I signed up for another a month later.

OK, you made me do it, I sent out an email blast seeking a muddy buddy partner.  dunno if I'll get one, but I asked!   The MB is in San Jose, June 8.  my husband said no, but at least that means the kids have a babysitter

My mini tri was great for confidence in the transitions, now I just need to get in shape for the sprint length - particularly the swim. 
2008-04-23 11:44 AM

Master
Wisteria Lane
I would love to be in your group!! I am also in Arizona. I just completed my second tri and I am currently training for Tempe International Olympic distance. After I complete Tempe International I plan to turn my focus to weight loss for a few months and then train for SOMA and PF Chang's in the fall. I am going to hit reply real quick to see if I got a spot. LOL
2008-04-23 11:51 AM

Master
Wisteria Lane
Ok, phew, did I get a spot? I got all nervous like I needed to post.

Anyway, I followed your awesome IM revenge and was so motivated by all of it!! I also checked your training progress a few times as there are not many fellow AZ people with blogs (I just discovered everything here on BT about a month ago and I LOVE it!!). I would love to learn from you since you have done most of the races I am training for.

I am really nervous about the Olympic distance but at the same time I would really love to do it. I am not fast but I do have endurance. I have completed 3 hm and several smaller road races. And to date I have done 2 sprint tris.

Edited by Javamom 2008-04-23 11:51 AM
2008-04-23 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1356951

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Javamom - 2008-04-23 8:44 AM

I would love to be in your group!! I am also in Arizona. I just completed my second tri and I am currently training for Tempe International Olympic distance. After I complete Tempe International I plan to turn my focus to weight loss for a few months and then train for SOMA and PF Chang's in the fall. I am going to hit reply real quick to see if I got a spot. LOL

Welcome to our group Lisa!

You're in Chandler? Sweet! We'll have to meet sometime! Feels like I'm up in that neck of the woods for a race practically every month.

The Tempe International Oly is a great race. The women's waves are nice and small, and so you don't get kicked and beat up as much during the swim. It does get warm in the afternoon on race day, but hey, being a Zonie you're used to that.

I'm thinking about SOMA too. Last year it was 98 on race day which was freakishly warm. I need to beat that race down! But it's not until October, so I'll have time to think about it. October seems SOOO far away right now.

That makes 2 spots left. We're starting to hoist the main sail!

2008-04-23 12:03 PM

Veteran
Hello,

I was in the last mentor group and it was fabulous... our leader is MIA but the group members are wonderful.

I live in Phoenix, I am 43 (for a few more months) and just completed the tri for the cure... my first tri and celebration of 3 yrs as a survivor. I am slow, fat and old...but I love the training. I guess it is never too late to become an athlete. I work in corporate America but my favorite title is that of mom... I have two beautiful little girls adopted from China (ages 5 and 7). I want to lose weight and started logging on MFD, which is helpful.

I am an ok swimmer, new (slow) runner and love the bike...but have no clue what I am doing, with the exception of having fun. My next tri is the Danskin Disneyland tri on June 15th.

Congrats on IMAZ! Thank you for offering to help... may giving back return to you tenfold.

Elizabeth

2008-04-23 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1357018

Elite
Tucson, AZ

azelizabeth - 2008-04-23 9:03 AM

Hello, I was in the last mentor group and it was fabulous... our leader is MIA but the group members are wonderful.

I live in Phoenix, I am 43 (for a few more months) and just completed the tri for the cure... my first tri and celebration of 3 yrs as a survivor. I am slow, fat and old...but I love the training. I guess it is never too late to become an athlete. I work in corporate America but my favorite title is that of mom... I have two beautiful little girls adopted from China (ages 5 and 7). I want to lose weight and started logging on MFD, which is helpful.

Welcome Elizabeth! Another Zonie in the group!

I heard Tri for the Cure was wonderful! Some of the gals in my tri club did it and said it was great. Congrats on finishing your first tri and 3 years as a survivor! That's fantastic! And no, it's NEVER too late to become an athlete. You're on your way.

azelizabeth - 2008-04-23 9:03 AM  

I am an ok swimmer, new (slow) runner and love the bike...but have no clue what I am doing, with the exception of having fun. My next tri is the Danskin Disneyland tri on June 15th.

Another June race! Woohoo! There is going to be a lot of cheering in this group for June.

Only 1 spot left! The ropes are being pulled in, the ship is starting to pull away from the dock! Who will make the jump and be the last one on?

(Can you tell I'm having fun with the pirate theme here? )

2008-04-23 12:29 PM

Modesto, California

Hi Elaine, it would be awesome if I could get in this group,looks like this is filling up fast!

Im starting my sophmore year doing Tri's, I have Wildflower Olympic comming up in a few weeks and that is the level I am at currently with a couple centuries and a half marathon in the fall. I consider it a huge achievement that I have finally gathered all the gear I need to be competitive,bike,wetsuit,etc. I live in northern California and travel to southern California every other week for business. The good part is I get to belong to several different groups, bad part is my schedule is extremely hectic! I quit smoking last year after 20 something years, started swimming as soon as I was able too and it led me to where I am today. I swam year round competitively when I was younger, did not bike or run at all.

This year I'm making my transition into longer distances and have no clue how to follow training plans and exercise/race nutrition. I have spent most of my training just doing minutes ,Heart rate, distance training. I feel I have established a decent base and would like to get faster this year.

2008-04-23 12:36 PM

2008-04-23 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1357121

Elite
Tucson, AZ
nevergivin - 2008-04-23 9:29 AM

Hi Elaine, it would be awesome if I could get in this group,looks like this is filling up fast!

Im starting my sophmore year doing Tri's, I have Wildflower Olympic comming up in a few weeks and that is the level I am at currently with a couple centuries and a half marathon in the fall. I consider it a huge achievement that I have finally gathered all the gear I need to be competitive,bike,wetsuit,etc. I live in northern California and travel to southern California every other week for business. The good part is I get to belong to several different groups, bad part is my schedule is extremely hectic! I quit smoking last year after 20 something years, started swimming as soon as I was able too and it led me to where I am today. I swam year round competitively when I was younger, did not bike or run at all.

This year I'm making my transition into longer distances and have no clue how to follow training plans and exercise/race nutrition. I have spent most of my training just doing minutes ,Heart rate, distance training. I feel I have established a decent base and would like to get faster this year.

Hi Stuart! Welcome to our group!

Congrats on the quitting smoking! What a huge lifestyle change you've made this past year. The Wildflower Oly will definitely show the fruits of your labor! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

We can definitely talk about how to follow a training plan, and dial in race and training nutrition. If you have specific questions, just ask away.

2008-04-23 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1357162

Modesto, California
PirateGirl - 2008-04-23 10:38 AM
nevergivin - 2008-04-23 9:29 AM

Hi Stuart! Welcome to our group!

Congrats on the quitting smoking! What a huge lifestyle change you've made this past year. The Wildflower Oly will definitely show the fruits of your labor! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

We can definitely talk about how to follow a training plan, and dial in race and training nutrition. If you have specific questions, just ask away.

Sheeeew, thanks for the last spot! I'll be 42 this year and Married with a 5 yr old daughter that loves"Shushi".

2008-04-23 12:53 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed!

And with that, our group is full at 7! We've pulled away from the dock and the ship has sailed with our group.

The final roll call:

PirateGirl - Elaine
movingsouth - Cynthia
Big Mama - TJ
Schrup - Paul
wgraves7582 - Bill
Javamom - Lisa
azelizabeth - Elizabeth
nevergivin - Stuart

For those that didn't make it on the ship, don't worry. There are plenty of good mentors here on BT with openings still. They really are a great group of people.

And with that, our group can get rolling. This is exciting! First, it's easy to check on each other if you add each person in the group as a "friend" in you BT blog. If you've never done that before, just click on the Control Panel (the top Quick Link next to the calendar) and click the "Friends" tab and type everyone in on each line. Click "Apply" and you'll see them under your training summary in your blog. I'm also going to link this thread in my blog so that it's easy to find each day I open my blog.

There aren't any rules or anything in this thread. It's pretty much an open conversation. The thread will get long, so I usually try to use the "Quote" feature to keep track of where I'm replying, especially when I want to have multiple conversations. Sort of like the crazy Thread About Nothing (TAN) thread in Cup of Joe.

I want to encourage everyone to participate and offer advice. We can all learn from each other, which is why this is fun. It's helpful to keep this thread live with weekly updates, topics on just about anything, etc. Mentor groups tend to dwindle if no conversation is going on. So my goal is to keep the conversation going, even if I'm just talking to myself.

2008-04-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1357191

Master
nevergivin - 2008-04-23 10:46 AM

Sheeeew, thanks for the last spot! I'll be 42 this year and Married with a 5 yr old daughter that loves"Shushi".

my 3yo loves "snushi" too. especially miso soup and unagi. hmm, what's for lunch? wasabi would clear the sinuses! darn this cold.

dunno if I'll do my brick today or not... go now while kids are awake and do it at quarter speed? (half speed for hauling the kids, another halved for the cold). or use trainer at nap time? or see what energy I have after Daddy gets home? sigh.

PS. I have one bite on a muddy buddy partner, but he moved already to Boulder and is checking on red eye flights (!) to come.  I guess I'd be obligated to fly to the Boulder one in August

Edited by movingsouth 2008-04-23 12:58 PM
2008-04-23 1:02 PM

Veteran
Tacoma
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed!
Thanks Elaine, glad I posted before I went to the gym rather than after or I would have missed the boat! I have to go pick up junior (who won't eat sushi) from preK, then it's off to the zoo. I'm excited to get to know everyone, BBL.
2008-04-23 1:11 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  

of 15