General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-23 9:16 PM

Maryland
Subject: Hip pain
**disclaimer: I'm calling the doc in the morning to see if I can get an appt. soon.**

I have recently been making a come back to training (with running being the biggest strain) due to a knee injury, meniscus related.  I was benched from running for 3 months, but with lots of PT I am building my mileage back up (about 10 mi/week right now). 

Last thursday I felt some hip pain during my run and decided to cut it short.  Some stretching post run cleared the tight feeling.  I took two days off and went out for 4 miles today.  Around mile 2, I felt a twinge of pain but it went away.  Mile 3 I had to stop and stretch, but again it went away.  By the end of my run my walk back to the car was lessened to a limp. 

Now I am having minimal pain with walking, more pain with stairs, and a large amount of pain with any flexing or hip rotation.  The pain is mainly at the front/outer part where my thigh meets the hip.  Of course with my luck in injuries, my mind immediately goes to bad scenario like a stress fracture.  Anyone else experience this pain and have some better news?

2009-08-24 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2365623

Expert
Behind you
Subject: RE: Hip pain
I started to get the same pain in the same area you describe when I started running.  Mainly when I woke up in the mornings from laying on that side.  I have bone loss, so I think that is my issue.  It cleared itself up after more running.  Go figure!
2009-08-24 10:05 AM

Expert
Behind you
I started to get the same pain in the same area you describe when I started running.  Mainly when I woke up in the mornings from laying on that side.  I have bone loss, so I think that is my issue.  It cleared itself up after more running.  Go figure!
2009-08-26 2:38 PM

User image

Sounds like it could be your IT as it passes over the femor, or the bursa beneath. I have a simlar pain that started when I began running after an extended time off. If its the above, you should be able to run through it, but it can be a nagging, chronic pain. Try stretching and strengthening. Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip pain Rss Feed