General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting in October Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-03 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Lewisville
Subject: Visiting in October
Hello there fellow BTers,I'm heading up to Portland for a little work on Oct 8 and 9; looks like I might actually be in Hillsboro, just outside the city. Anyway, here's the question - I'd like to do a little mountain bike riding while I'm up there. Do you have any suggestions on a place to rent a bike or a trail to ride. I'd be looking to keep the distance around 50 miles.Any ideas or places to begin researching?Also, I know there are a lot of great breweries in the area; any that I must visit?Thanks in advance for the advice!

2009-09-04 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2388219

User image

Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Visiting in October

I recently rode the gunsight trail out near Mt. Hood. It was one of the best rides I have done in this area, totally insane downhill run, steep, technical, switchbacks, good fun. For a more mellow ride hagg lake has a trail that circles the lake, no major climbing or descending but still fun. Also look at browns camp, thats a pretty good ride. 

2009-09-04 1:30 PM

User image

Portland, OR
double post

Edited by cgapper 2009-09-04 1:31 PM
2009-09-04 5:58 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon City, Oregon
It kind of violates your 50 mile rule, but the Hood River Gorge offers some great mt biking trails and breweries.  Hood River is roughly 50 miles east of Portland, so from Hillsboro, you're talking close to a 2-hour drive, depending on traffic.

I can't help much with mt biking trails, especially west side.  For breweries, the list is long and depends on what you're trying to do (taste some other beers from a larger microbrewery that you can get in your area or a unique Portland place that doesn't distribute).  Rogue and Deschutes fall in the first category (both downtown).  HUB, Roots, Lucky Lab, Laurelwood, New Old Lompaq, Cascade, plus more fall into hte second category.  There are also several good beer bars in the area that sample a nice selection of NW beers - Bailey's Taproom, Green Dragon, East Burn, Concordia Alehouse, Henrys.

Yes, I know more about beer than mt biking....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting in October Rss Feed