General Discussion Triathlon Talk » short sleeve wetsuits? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-14 11:31 AM

Subject: short sleeve wetsuits?

Have done approximately 5 sprint tris.  Never had problem with the swim until yesterday.  Cold rainy days in WI made for cold water - took my breath away.  12 min swim turned into 20.  OK - I need a wet suit.  My question is, don't they make a short sleeve wetsuit?  Seems I either need to choose a full or a sleeveless LJ.  (Age 50, BTW)  Will just a wetsuit jacket help?

2010-06-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2920324

User image

Veteran
California
Subject: RE: short sleeve wetsuits?
I have never seen a triathlon short sleeve wetsuit, just full sleeve or sleeveless.  In the little I know, I'm guessing the main differences between full sleeves and sleeveless is mobility of the shoulder and increased surface area on the forearm.  Without going into benefits of one vs the other, I would think short sleeve would be the worst of both worlds - restricted shoulder, either tight arms or a possible opening for water (read: drag), and no advantage on the forearms.

I would suggest trying out as many tri wetsuits, both sleevelss and full sleeve, and see what works best for you.  Many shops will apply a rental fee towards purchase to help justify trying them.

Good luck.
2010-06-15 10:13 AM

Im a swimmer, and in my experience, full sleeve wetsuits are the best, as they reduce drag, and make you float like a cork. the main fabric is neoprene, which is a lightweight rubbery material, used in many brand name tri suits. that said, in USA swimming, full body suits are banned, and all suits that have neoprene are banned, and i dont know if USA triathlon will follow suit,(no pun intended), unless its a certain temperature or below, the problem is, is it fair to let, 1 swimmer have it, when 20 others dont, especially if it gives them a better advantage in the pool, lake, river etc?
2010-06-15 10:15 AM

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
Yeah, they make short sleeve wetsuits, though they are generally used for surfing, wakeboarding, etc...

I've NEVER seen a short sleeved TRI-SPECIFIC wetsuit though, only sleeved or sleeveless. I personally own a sleeveless, but have never owned a full sleeved, so I can't compare the two.

Kevin
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » short sleeve wetsuits? Rss Feed