General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the parks - John Tanner St Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the parks - John Tanner St Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Carrollton, Ga
United States
Tri Blue Sky
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 29m 11s
Overall Rank = N/300
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate carbs the day before. Hibachi chicken and Rice for lunch and pizza for supper. Got up at 4:00 in the AM to get to the race on time. REgular breakfast of 2 poptarts in the car with a coke. No real trouble getting out of bed, believe it or not. Also not much prerace anxiety. Arrived at the race at 6:30 am - 1:45 minutes to start time. I think that this is perfect. I had time to get registered, set up in the transition area in the rain, and take a few pics. I also had time to use the bathroom 3 or 4 times. While at the car I decided I needed to take everything off but my tri-suit so that I didn't have a bunch of non-race gear in the transition area. I went to tie the suit non-chalantly, crossed the strings and gave a big tug and snatch! big ole knot in the drawstrings. Not tight enough to do any good at keeping my drawers on, and too tight to easily get undone. What a boob! Had to use my car keys to pry the knot open. Was actually thinking through how I would go about asking someone else to help me untie my suit! Next time I am going to take flip flops! I needed to get around in my bathing suit and It was raining and I didn't want to get my shoes wet... Just about messed my feet up on rocks and pine cones before the race! Also, next time I am going to take garbage bags! Might have helped with the rain, and wouldn't have hurt to have them to try.
Event warmup:

No warmup. I decided that if I got too keyed up, I would go out too hard on the swim, which would hurt me later on. I decided to use the swim as the warmup. As you will see later, this was a great strategy for me.
Swim
  • 11m 45s
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a great swim. I started at the outside of the pack (from the shore) which was the inside of the race course (which started out parallel to the beach). Apparently no one wanted to be where the water was shoulder deep, but this was perfect for me. allowed me to fully immerse, and bounce to get used to the water and stay loose. My navigation was pretty good for a first time. For some reason I kept drifting west. Not left or right, but west. Going out I was too far left, and coming back I was too far right. Who can explain that? Really this was a minor problem though and I came out of the water in great shape. I felt strong through the swim, and did not feel tired heading to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Get better at navigating. Otherwise this strategy was perfect. I don't really feel that this area needs a lot of improvement. under 12 minutes was the goal. I met that, and felt strong coming out of the water. If I had spent more time training and improving this I could have save what, 3 or 4 minutes? Not worth the effort. The next legs are where I need the work.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

The transition itself wasn't that bad. There was kindof a long barefoot run to the transition area, though.

spend more time with the actual bike so that I am better at mounting, dismounting and clipping in.
Bike
  • 40m
  • 11.2 miles
  • 16.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow am I slow on the bike! I breathed much harder the first half than the second, which is typical for me. I always start off struggling on the bike, then after a few miles I kindof get my wind. I threw the chain off the crank about halfway through the race. It came off to the inside. In one of my more clever moments I was able to get the chain back on the ring by using the shifters instead of having to get my fingers in volved, or worse yet, stop and get off. I was passed by all of the people that I had passed in the swim. During the swim I managed to catch up with the heat in front of me and pass some of the women there. Many of these women came back and blew me out on the bike.

Under the circumstances, I met my expectations. The only thing to do differently is prepare better next time. I plan to focus on the cycling leg of the race for the next one (8 weeks out). I think that I can probably shave 5 to 10 minutes here!

Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

Tough to get the cycling shoes off for some reason. Again slow to dismount and get going into the transition. Another problem was lining up the transition to the run. I knew that it left the transition to the west, but had not taken the time to note the hairpin turn it did just out of the gate. This really took me by surprise. Thank goodness for insistent volunteers!

Scope out the course a little more thoroughly.

Run
  • 29m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I have no idea how to run and drink at the same time. Next time I am going to not drink at all, or walk while drinking. Ihad to walk anyway and still made my time goal, so it would have made more sense to walk through the hydration station instead of choking and burping and dropping the cup with no benefit from it. Wanted ot do the run without stopping, but just didn't have the mental edge for it this morning. All said though, I came in in under 30 minutes, which was my goal, so I am stoked!

Walk through water stations.

Post race
Warm down:

Walk back and forth to the car. 100 times getting stuff back and forth and finding food / drinks

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough intimacy with my bike. Overall endurance.

Event comments:

I thought that this was a good race. I enjoyed the atmosphere, though it was dampened by the rain ;) I don't understand why people who do these things don't understand the basic principle of awards ceremonies. You don't announce Miss America first, you start with the first runner up! why do the champion then the age groupers? Also, the guy needs help in posting results. He needed to put out severl copies of the results at the same time instead of one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet for 300 people to look at - doesn't he have more paper for his printer? Also, his software needs to figure the results and print out for him so the he doesn't have to figure it out in his head while he is handing out the awards!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:45 | 600 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintana roo tri suit
Course: Calm lake with beach on one side. Rectagle course. Started outside of the beach swim area "lane line".
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:40:00 | 11.2 miles | 16.80 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Moderate hills. A long loop (the best kind!)
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:15 | 03.1 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: flat to start - went around the lake on a great woodsy trail. Then it got nasty and went uphill on gravel to a hilly country road for the out and back. there were some tough hills. Did I mention it was hilly?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-05-03 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Subject: Tri the parks - John Tanner St Park

2004-05-03 9:34 AM
in reply to: #22524

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the parks - John Tanner St Park
Congrats on the good race (you're first one)! I did better than you on the bike but really our time difference is more due to transitions. If your transition times matched mine your overall time would have been better than mine because of your better swim and run. I was real slow in transitions last year, but last year they were bundled into the bike time and because I didn't time them I'm not sure how much time I spent but it had to be twice as long as this year. I wasted a lot of time last year.

I may do Yargo and will decide in the next day or so. I did it last year and if you thought the Tanner course was hilly wait till you do the bike and run at Yargo. I had a tough time there last year. The race you referred to is Flovilla and it on June 26 not the 25th. I'm considering that one as well, it's on my birthday.

I didn't stay to see the results at Tanner so I'm eager to see the results posted online. I may call them to find out when they'll be posted. Next Tri-the-Parks we do together we should try to hook up.
2004-05-03 11:49 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Tri the parks - John Tanner St Park
Great race David - especially the swim! 
2004-05-04 1:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!