General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surly Pacer, or Trek Lexa SLX? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-12 12:39 PM

New user

Subject: Surly Pacer, or Trek Lexa SLX?
I consider myself probably a forever-beginner level sprint triathlete. Started in middle age and have some lower back issues. I'm looking for a bike to use for both commuting (@ 12 miles/day round trip) and for triathlons. I've had a bikefit and using those measurements tried a Surly Pacer and a Trek Lexa. The Surly was a lot of fun to ride, but the brake controls are hard to reach and the pedals kept flipping around. Bike store guy said no worries, both can/should be replaced, and he proposed a new groupo w/Shimano 105 brakes. Other than the pedal and brake thing, I was a little wobbly on the bike going up a hill - not sure if it was something about the bike or I was just warming up after not riding for quite awhile. The Lexa had better-located brake controls and the pedals did not bother me. It seems to be more of a racing-oriented bike and the Surly more of a commuting-oriented bike. Any thoughts comparing these two?

2013-03-12 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4656809

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Surly Pacer, or Trek Lexa SLX?

So, for one, ignore pedals. You can put on whatever pedals/cleat system you want. So that's a non-issue.

Now, as for the rest... the surly is a steel bike--so it will be heavy, and dampen the road feel. The trek is an aluminum bike with a carbon fork. It will be lighter, stiffer, and ride a bit snappier. It's about what you want...but you would be fine to commute on the Lexa, and you'd definitely want to race on the lexa over the surly--unless you really don't care about anything other than comfort.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by brake controls being hard to reach/use, unless it was just there was a longer stem or wider bars or whatever. (Are they both not using the same brake/shift mechanism type? I thought one was Tiagra 10 spd and the other 105? But he may have it built with something else. Or it could be you just need narrower bars, or a different stem length, or the bars tilted up or down or whatever to fit your reach better. BUt again, those are adjustable.

I guess, my best advice would be to tell you that they are two really different types of bikes, and you have to decide what you want it for. If you want the one that's the good commuter and the better race bike, go trek. If you want a soft buttered ride, but not a race bike...go Surly. You can always soften the Trek up a bit later, if you want (swap the bars/stem for carbon, etc.)

2013-03-13 5:06 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
mmrocker13 got it all right. I wouldn't buy the Pacer if you are looking for a bike that works well both for commuting and for triathlons (and like most of us, you'll probably get hooked and will start doing some group rides, charity rides, etc. etc. etc.....). Don't get me wrong, the Pacer is a nice bike, but it's definitely not designed for racing, it's a touring bike. The handling will feel very stable at low speed, but once you start getting up a bit higher in speeds, it will feel sluggish and slow to react. The Lexa is exactly the opposite.

Also, don't automatically assume that lower back issues will require a more upright position. It can, but many times, a lower position will actually put less stress on your lower back. Either way, keep working on your core strength, that will be key for comfort.
2013-03-22 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I'm no help on a comparison of the two because I have no experience or knowledge of the Surly. I'm just chiming in as a Lexa SLX owner - love it for racing and group rides. To resolve your back issue and make it more of a commuter, you can shange the stem for a more upright position. Pedals are a matter of personal preference. It is a comfortable ride with good components providing as much speed as your engine can output. Wink
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surly Pacer, or Trek Lexa SLX? Rss Feed