General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No trainning for 2 weeks...HIM in 5 weeks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-31 6:47 PM

Regular
Vero Beach
Subject: No trainning for 2 weeks...HIM in 5 weeks

After a cup of hot coffee dumped into my lap causing 2nd degree burns on my thigh and you know where (stop your laughing) I've been told by a experienced burn nurse that I can't get in a pool for two weeks. She also said I can't run or bike because it will pop my blisters and increase my chance of infection.

I have my first HIM October 3rd and am wondering how to train for the last three weeks once my two weeks of prison are over. I was building my run back up after being in a boot for 3 weeks from seasmoiditis and am back up to 10 miles. I'm comfortable on the bike and I will get through the swim.

I'm thinking of allocating 2 weeks focusing on running and having a 1 week taper. Do I even need a taper now? Thanks for the advice. Logs are open....Jason

2009-08-31 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2381392

Expert
Subject: RE: No trainning for 2 weeks...HIM in 5 weeks
for me it was 3 weeks out from my HIM when i had to go to the doctor on a sunday because i got diagnosed with swine flu. I couldnt train for basically the remainder of the 3 weeks. I know this is dif than ur situation...but i think one of the biggest things i learned about this is to keep ur mental edge. Stay positive and know u have done/will do everything in ur poiwer to be ready. I truely believe that races this distance are huge mental challenges...so in the meantime..focus on mental preparation. This is kind of off topic...but its just my $0.02
2009-09-01 6:06 AM
in reply to: #2381401

Regular
Vero Beach

I agree...the mental aspect in these races can be huge. I was pissed last night when I was told no trainning but I'm ok with it now and will defenitly focus on the positive. Thanks for the advice....Jason

2009-09-01 9:14 PM

User image

Panama City Beach
I'm not giving advice.....I'll just through this out there.   I got sick shortly before my last Marathon (Disney).  I decided to run at my goal pace no matter what!  I kept it up for 10 miles... I died after that and drug my body down the road for another 16 miles.

Next time I would be more realistic and adjust my goals for my current shape not the shape I thought I would be in.

What a pain in the butt or wherever.  haha   GOOD LUCK.
2009-09-02 5:47 AM

Regular
Vero Beach
Thanks for the input. I am concerned about my run pace during the race and will adjust accordingly. Do you lose bike and swim fitness as fast as run fitness?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No trainning for 2 weeks...HIM in 5 weeks Rss Feed