United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 45s
Overall Rank = 93/191
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/29
Pre-race routine:

Had a breakfast bar and ate a bag of dry honey nut Cheerios. Drank Endurance Gatorade on way up.
Event warmup:

1 min swim in lake to get the cobwebs out.
Swim
  • 33m 7s
  • 1609 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Ok overall. Less improvement than I would have expected given my training. Didn't push too hard and worked on technique but still too slow.
What would you do differently?:

Work on kick and keeping head down. I didn't kick at all really and my head positioning needs work.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

Guesstimate on time as they didn't provide it (subtracted bike computer time from bike split time). Includes 150 yd run from beach into parking lot. Still a little trouble with heels of suit but much better than last race.

Not much. Had bike in correct gear and computer reset. Layout of clothes was good.
Bike
  • 1h 21m
  • 25 miles
  • 18.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Had trouble shifting into my small ring which did not help considering the hills.

Continue to pick up the pace through increased cadence. Overall did well but still room to improve.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Speed laces are a big help. Person across from me racked bike in my spot so it took a while to find a place to put my bike. Getting into shoes and running was a breeze. (estimated time again as they didn't track it).

Nothing. Very good.
Run
  • 49m 28s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 57s  min/km
Comments:

Not a particularly good run. Too many negative thoughts. Was going to push it but never got into the grove. Used excuse of training run for NYC.

Get off my ass and move.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a hot dog, burger, and drank Pepsi.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mental state.

Event comments:

Overall I was pleased with the results. Oly PR for me by 2 minutes and the swim was a mile (vs. 1.5 km) and bike was 25 miles (vs. 40km) so I supposed that counts for something (which begs the questions, since I'm new to this how many "Oly" races are actually the KM versions and how many are miles? It's not that big of a deal but at my swim pace, another 100m is two minutes).

From what I've read and talking to people I met at the race the course is fairly challenging. The bike is very hilly and the run is a run downhill, turn around, come back and repeat two loop course. Felt good on the bike even though I had trouble shifting into the small ring on my triple chainring (note to self: fix before next hilly race).

Mentally I'm still not where I want to be. I always have too much in the tank when I finish. It's especially evident on the run. I think I need to get to a track and run some exhausting intervals so I get used to running hard. Regardless, I'm still improving and cautiously optomistic I can improve even more at NYC in three weeks.

In any event, it was a beautiful day and a wonderful race. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Last updated: 2005-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:07 | 1609 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 150/191
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Overalls
Course: Three buoy diamond course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:00 | 25 miles | 18.52 mile/hr
Overall: 92/191
Average HR was 165. Max MPH was 41.
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly but enjoyable course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:28 | 10 kms | 04m 57s  min/km
Overall: 95/191
Performance: Below average
Average HR was 169.
Course: Out parking lot and down long, sloping hill. Turn around and run back up the hill and repeat the loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-19 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Ridgefield, CT
Subject: Pat Griskus

2005-06-19 11:03 PM
in reply to: #178325

Champion
Subject: RE: Pat Griskus
Good race Scott, those are great bike and run splits. Hang in there, your times will keep coming down for sure, the more races you do! That wetsuit around the ankles deal is such a time waster...I always have trouble with that too.

Edited by max 2005-06-19 11:03 PM
2005-06-20 9:18 AM

New user
Wow, great bike and run times especially on a challenging course. Are you doing the Griskus Sprint in July?

2005-06-20 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Ridgefield, CT
Thanks for the kind words. I was generally pleased with the race. My swim is obviously the weak link but I started a maters program this winter and hopefully it will help eventually.

I am not doing the Griskus Sprint race because my calendar is already full (2 other tris and a mile open water swim) and time away from the family is at a premium.

However, I will surely do the Griskus Oly next year as the race was enjoyable and extremely well run.
2005-06-30 11:55 AM

Veteran
Alabama
Just read your race report! Nice work there Scott! You will be ready for NYC no doubt!!
Leaving gas in the tank is something you will have to work on, I agree!

Again, congrats!!

K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat Griskus Rss Feed