BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-12-22 12:43 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Right Meow!

NAME:
shmeeg / Jay  yep, short for smeagol from LOTR.  Picked this nickname up on a deployment a few years ago.

STORY: 2010 was my first season.  I am in the military and come from a running background.  Hadn't pedaled a bike in about 20 years and my 'swimming' consisted of what you see at most 'family' type pools.  I had an absolute BLAST this past season racing and learning the new disciplines!  I love this sport, the training, and the people.   I joined a mentor group as soon as I found BT and without a doubt, it helped me improve at every event I raced this year.  I love calling myself a triathlete and love to see how far I can push myself in the sport.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 12 years, one 7yo daughter.  My wife is an active runner, trainingly for her first marathon.  Woot!

CURRENT TRAINING:
I am currently focusing on my cycling power over the outseason, but I generally follow a BT plan for each race I compete in.  For the 2010 season I only competed in Sprint distance events.  I love trail running but do not participate in Xterra events.

2010 RACES:
5-16-10 Encinitas Super Sprint
8-7-10 Camp Pendleton Sprint
9-26-10 Las Vegas Triathlon - Sprint
10-16-10 Big Rock Triathlon - Sprint

2011 RACES:

4-16-11 Big Rock Triathlon - Olympic
9-11-11 SuperFrog Triathlon

WEIGHTLOSS: Weightloss wasn't a goal of mine, but I managed to drop about 10 lbs along the way.  Now I own 'fat pants'! ;-)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
As I said above, I really love this sport and I would love to help some other triathletes with their first season.  BT made my transition into triathlon a fun, exciting time and I want to give back to the sport by helping others!  I learned a lot of do/dont's from my first season and raced in both freshwater and open water races, and have some good experience to pass on to new triathletes.  I have access to BT at home and work and will be available for my group daily.

Edited by shmeeg 2011-01-15 12:27 AM

2010-12-30 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3257098

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - open
Doesn't look like I'm getting a group of my own and God knows I can still use a mentor for this season. Can I join your group Jay?
2010-12-30 11:05 AM

User image

New user

Portland, OR
Smeagol - Looking to do the BT 16W Sprint program - swim focused. Can I join your mentor group?
2010-12-30 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3267527

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2010-12-30 5:01 AM Doesn't look like I'm getting a group of my own and God knows I can still use a mentor for this season. Can I join your group Jay?

Sure Brian, of course.  I wasn't expecting mine to get much action either, there's a lot of folks mentoring this part of the year!
2010-12-30 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3268091

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
joelg11 - 2010-12-30 9:05 AM Smeagol - Looking to do the BT 16W Sprint program - swim focused. Can I join your mentor group?

You sure can, welcome! 
2010-12-30 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3268145

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-12-30 11:30 AM

Meulen - 2010-12-30 5:01 AM Doesn't look like I'm getting a group of my own and God knows I can still use a mentor for this season. Can I join your group Jay?

Sure Brian, of course.  I wasn't expecting mine to get much action either, there's a lot of folks mentoring this part of the year!

cool!

Bio: Name is Brian, and I'm going into my second or third year of tri's (I don't count the first year cuz I only did one indoor). I'm 35, married, with no kids. This season I'm focussed on a marathon, one HIM, and several Xterra's and Olympics for the 2011 season. I'm currently in computrainer classes and doing a Hal Higdon marathon plan. I plan to transition to an HIM plan overlapping my marathon plan in April. I also do some mountain bike racing. This year I would also like to try a few different thing, like maybe a time trial and/or team time trial. You'll find I'm kind of a gear snobjunkie (I made the word up for myself ) and I love to get new toys!!! LO Mostly, I'm here to have fun, but I'd secretly love to podium a race this year.

2010-12-30 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3268185

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2010-12-30 9:55 AM cool! Bio: Name is Brian, and I'm going into my second or third year of tri's (I don't count the first year cuz I only did one indoor). I'm 35, married, with no kids. This season I'm focussed on a marathon, one HIM, and several Xterra's and Olympics for the 2011 season. I'm currently in computrainer classes and doing a Hal Higdon marathon plan. I plan to transition to an HIM plan overlapping my marathon plan in April. I also do some mountain bike racing. This year I would also like to try a few different thing, like maybe a time trial and/or team time trial. You'll find I'm kind of a gear snobjunkie (I made the word up for myself ) and I love to get new toys!!! LO Mostly, I'm here to have fun, but I'd secretly love to podium a race this year.

Steppin it up for 2011 eh?  I decided to cut down the # of races next year so I can run a full 4-5 month training plan between each race instead of just a few weeks of not so quality workouts.  I'm only doing one Olympic in April then a HIM in September.  At least that's the plan for meow. I've gotta check in to my new unit down here still and will have a better idea of how much time I will be able to dedicate to training/racing this year by the end of January I think.
2010-12-30 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3268349

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-12-30 1:15 PM

Meulen - 2010-12-30 9:55 AM cool! Bio: Name is Brian, and I'm going into my second or third year of tri's (I don't count the first year cuz I only did one indoor). I'm 35, married, with no kids. This season I'm focussed on a marathon, one HIM, and several Xterra's and Olympics for the 2011 season. I'm currently in computrainer classes and doing a Hal Higdon marathon plan. I plan to transition to an HIM plan overlapping my marathon plan in April. I also do some mountain bike racing. This year I would also like to try a few different thing, like maybe a time trial and/or team time trial. You'll find I'm kind of a gear snobjunkie (I made the word up for myself ) and I love to get new toys!!! LO Mostly, I'm here to have fun, but I'd secretly love to podium a race this year.

Steppin it up for 2011 eh?  I decided to cut down the # of races next year so I can run a full 4-5 month training plan between each race instead of just a few weeks of not so quality workouts.  I'm only doing one Olympic in April then a HIM in September.  At least that's the plan for meow. I've gotta check in to my new unit down here still and will have a better idea of how much time I will be able to dedicate to training/racing this year by the end of January I think.

Yep, I've been going hard over the winter. I'm hoping that'll leave me more time to have fun and race over the summer. Instead of trying to train between races when I should be recovering. It doesn't look that way with my logs, but the intensity is MUCH higher right now and volume is lower. In spring, I plan to swith it to more volume, less intensity.

where's our QOTD?

Edited by Meulen 2010-12-30 1:23 PM
2010-12-30 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3268360

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

I was cruisin along w/ Jorge's bike program before we moved a couple weeks ago.  Only been on the bike a couple times since.  I'm definitely in holiday mode right now.  It will be nice to have some structure to my days again soon so I quit being a slacker!

2010-12-30 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3268376

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-12-30 1:22 PM

I was cruisin along w/ Jorge's bike program before we moved a couple weeks ago.  Only been on the bike a couple times since.  I'm definitely in holiday mode right now.  It will be nice to have some structure to my days again soon so I quit being a slacker!

I've decided to stay in my computrainer classes right now, but only so I stay committed. I spent the money so I'll go! LOL I'm still working on the trainer too. Started on the marathon plan this week. I'm a bit nervous though. I'm hoping I'm not starting with to much of a jump in run volume. In October I was running 20-25 per week. I scaled it back to 10-15ish in November for some rest. I'm torn between the Hal Higdon Novice 1 or 2 plan. I started the 2 with a 5 mile pace run yesterday. The 2 plan ramps up volume much quicker though, I'm hoping I'm not over doing it going straight back to 25 miles a week after being at 10-15 for a month. I can't swim at all right now though, because I ruptured my ear drum.

Edited by Meulen 2010-12-30 1:29 PM
2010-12-30 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3268388

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

I had high hopes of doing the cycling plan along w/ a run program.  That definitely isn't happening.  I'd start w/ the lower volume plan first so you don't overdo it and injure yourself doing too much too soon.  Maybe take the first 6 weeks of Novice 1 and then bridge to plan 2 w/ just a little higher than recommended volume so you don't end up derailing your training.  Then you'll only be able to bike! Laughing How long does the eardrum keep you out of the water?

2010-12-30 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3268408

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-12-30 1:36 PM

I had high hopes of doing the cycling plan along w/ a run program.  That definitely isn't happening.  I'd start w/ the lower volume plan first so you don't overdo it and injure yourself doing too much too soon.  Maybe take the first 6 weeks of Novice 1 and then bridge to plan 2 w/ just a little higher than recommended volume so you don't end up derailing your training.  Then you'll only be able to bike! Laughing How long does the eardrum keep you out of the water?

not sure yet. Doc asked me to stay out of the water for 2 weeks and come back. That's monday. Then he wants to see if it's healing. If it's healing, he'll give a recommendation from there. If not, I'll have to have surgery.
2010-12-30 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3268422

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Ah gotcha.  I started wearing ear plugs pretty early on just because it helped w/ the vertigo feeling coming out of the water.  Do you know what caused the rupture?
2010-12-30 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3268444

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-12-30 1:51 PM

Ah gotcha.  I started wearing ear plugs pretty early on just because it helped w/ the vertigo feeling coming out of the water.  Do you know what caused the rupture?

ruptured on a flight. Not sure if I had a slight ear infection going on before hand, or just normal sinus/allergy bs. I got some ear plugs and a nose plug. I'll be wearing them from now on swimming. Swimming really doesn't help my allergies at all.
2010-12-30 2:05 PM

Hi Jay,  Can I join your group?

I did my first two tri's last summer.  I made many mistakes in both.  I want to be more competitive this year! 

I am 43 years old.  Wife and mother of three teenagers. 

Looking forward to getting back into training!  Carol

2010-12-30 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3268474

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
carolmc - 2010-12-30 12:05 PM Hi Jay,  Can I join your group?

I did my first two tri's last summer.  I made many mistakes in both.  I want to be more competitive this year! 

I am 43 years old.  Wife and mother of three teenagers. 

Looking forward to getting back into training!  Carol

Sure Carol, welcome!  I made mistakes last year also, and will probably make many more this year, but the key is taking something away from it to better yourself for the next race Wink.  Hope we can help you get faster for 2011!

2010-12-30 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3268468

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2010-12-30 12:02 PM
shmeeg - 2010-12-30 1:51 PM Ah gotcha.  I started wearing ear plugs pretty early on just because it helped w/ the vertigo feeling coming out of the water.  Do you know what caused the rupture?
ruptured on a flight. Not sure if I had a slight ear infection going on before hand, or just normal sinus/allergy bs. I got some ear plugs and a nose plug. I'll be wearing them from now on swimming. Swimming really doesn't help my allergies at all.

Brutal.  Bet that hurts like a SOB.  I hear ya, I don't have real bad allergies, but I can tell when they shock the training tanks on base.  I was always more concerned w/ how much chlorine I ingest because I drink a ton of water trying to keep my head straight and not tweak my neck when I breathe Tongue out.
2010-12-30 2:38 PM

User image

New user

Portland, OR
Right on Jay-

Background on myself: Never done a Tri or a race of any kind greater than 5k but I've always been athletic/in decent shape. Hoping to do 3 races this year - 2 sprints in the spring and early summer and an Olympic in the later summer.

I'm starting off on a bummer note though - I turned my ankle last week and can't really run without pain right now - so I'm just going to be swimming and biking until I get the OK from the Doc.
2010-12-30 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3268360

Lehigh Valley

I am looking for a mentor. My husband and I decided to complete a sprint triathlon for our 10 year wedding anniversary which will be August 11 2011. We basically just got interested in multisport after completing a 5k on Thanksgiving this year. We will be doing our second 5k tomorrow. Since Thanksgiving we have started working on all 3 sports- swimming 2-3 times a week, biking 7-10 miles once a week and running 3 times a week (although we have missed a few runs due to illness and weather).
We have 3 kids- 14y old son, 7 y old daughter and 3 y old son.
Besides multisport, i am a yoga enthusiast. I struggle with my running but getting better each run and I hadn't been on a bike in probably 20 years before we decided to start this training. It is also getting easier though.
Our other challenge is really the weather---so hard to get out there when it is 20 degrees. We've been hanging in there though!
Okay I'll shut up now but am looking forward to this journey!

2010-12-30 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3268543

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
joelg11 - 2010-12-30 12:38 PM Right on Jay-

Background on myself: Never done a Tri or a race of any kind greater than 5k but I've always been athletic/in decent shape. Hoping to do 3 races this year - 2 sprints in the spring and early summer and an Olympic in the later summer.

I'm starting off on a bummer note though - I turned my ankle last week and can't really run without pain right now - so I'm just going to be swimming and biking until I get the OK from the Doc.

Awesome, welcome to triathlon, it will be a journey you don't forget!  Stay on the mend and you'll be back on the pavement in no time.  Nothing worse than aggravating an injury that never healed.
2010-12-30 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3268555

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
saongiri - 2010-12-30 12:43 PM

I am looking for a mentor. My husband and I decided to complete a sprint triathlon for our 10 year wedding anniversary which will be August 11 2011. We basically just got interested in multisport after completing a 5k on Thanksgiving this year. We will be doing our second 5k tomorrow. Since Thanksgiving we have started working on all 3 sports- swimming 2-3 times a week, biking 7-10 miles once a week and running 3 times a week (although we have missed a few runs due to illness and weather).
We have 3 kids- 14y old son, 7 y old daughter and 3 y old son.
Besides multisport, i am a yoga enthusiast. I struggle with my running but getting better each run and I hadn't been on a bike in probably 20 years before we decided to start this training. It is also getting easier though.
Our other challenge is really the weather---so hard to get out there when it is 20 degrees. We've been hanging in there though!
Okay I'll shut up now but am looking forward to this journey!

Welcome!  That's great that you are training with your husband.  I love training with my wife when we get the chance to do so.  Sounds like you two got the triathlon bug already!  If you're just starting out you should see good improvement on both the bike and run fairly quickly and it will continue all year long.  I'm still quite the beginner myself in terms of growth in speed and power.  It makes it easy to get out there for your workouts when you see lots of positive results.

2010-12-30 3:00 PM

New user

Denver, NC
Hi, I would like to join your mentor group. This will be my first year of competeing in tri's and right now I am only planning to do the Rambling Rose. I am a runner and have one half and one full planned this year along with several shorter runs. I am trying to find ways to push myself with the training and this may be just what I need to get me going.

A little about me, I am a 43 year old mom to 7! We homeschool the youngest two now. I have been running for three years, I bike with the kids and swimming is my downfall, although I am working on it...lol...

I struggle with nutrition and weight lifiting in my training. In general, I just don't get motivated to lift and while I eat healthy, I was informed I do not enough for the training I do....

Anyway, I would love to join this group! Thanks! Trisha
2010-12-30 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3268597

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Fitnessfreak67 - 2010-12-30 1:00 PM Hi, I would like to join your mentor group. This will be my first year of competeing in tri's and right now I am only planning to do the Rambling Rose. I am a runner and have one half and one full planned this year along with several shorter runs. I am trying to find ways to push myself with the training and this may be just what I need to get me going.

A little about me, I am a 43 year old mom to 7! We homeschool the youngest two now. I have been running for three years, I bike with the kids and swimming is my downfall, although I am working on it...lol...

I struggle with nutrition and weight lifiting in my training. In general, I just don't get motivated to lift and while I eat healthy, I was informed I do not enough for the training I do....

Anyway, I would love to join this group! Thanks! Trisha

Hi Trisha, you're in!  Whoa, mom to 7? I can't imagine that, you must be a master of time management Smile  Swimming seems to be the beast most triathletes struggle with because we did so little of it in the past.  We can help with that.  Brian (Meulen) and I were in a mentor group together over the summer and both managed to made somewhat decent swimmers out of ourselves.  Welcome to the group.
2010-12-30 4:00 PM

New user

Jay, I'd love to join your group.  My name is Laura and I'm a 46 year old female who has been strongly considering doing a sprint triathalon since this summer.  I started working on swimming during the summer and have fairly consistantly swam about twice a week (usually around 1200m).  I recently purchased a road bike and looking to work with a group to improve my biking skills.  The hardest part of this has been the running portion.  Mentally I hit the wall when I start working on running.  I could use the support of the group and as many suggestions as I can.  I've never gotten a "runners high" and struggle.  I think if I could get a routine down I could just power through it.  So far,  not the progress that I'd like to see.  I admire runner's and would so like to get better.  I have not competed in any events yet.  Family life, includes my husband of 23 years and 2 daughters age 22 and 17.  All very supportive. 
2010-12-30 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3268677

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
ljee64 - 2010-12-30 2:00 PM Jay, I'd love to join your group.  My name is Laura and I'm a 46 year old female who has been strongly considering doing a sprint triathalon since this summer.  I started working on swimming during the summer and have fairly consistantly swam about twice a week (usually around 1200m).  I recently purchased a road bike and looking to work with a group to improve my biking skills.  The hardest part of this has been the running portion.  Mentally I hit the wall when I start working on running.  I could use the support of the group and as many suggestions as I can.  I've never gotten a "runners high" and struggle.  I think if I could get a routine down I could just power through it.  So far,  not the progress that I'd like to see.  I admire runner's and would so like to get better.  I have not competed in any events yet.  Family life, includes my husband of 23 years and 2 daughters age 22 and 17.  All very supportive. 

Hi Laura, welcome to the group.  Sounds like you're well on your way to your first race!  We can definitely help support you on your quest to improve your running, and getting to the starting line ready to rock this season Smile
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  

of 21