BT Development Mentor Program Archives » grandhavenbill's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2008-12-20 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: grandhavenbill's group - FULL

NAME: grandhavenbill/Bill

STORY: I'm 40 and live in Grand Haven, MI. My triathlon obsession/compulsion started in the summer of 2006 after suffering thru a spinal fluid leak that had me on my backside for the better part of 6 months before it resolved. To celebrate getting healthy again, I signed up to climb Mt. Baker and was doing a lot of running and swimming in preparation. Saw flyers for a local tri and decided that since I was 2/3 of the way there with my training for the climb (and already knew how to ride a bike), I'd go for it. As they say, the rest is history!

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married to Jennifer for 17 years. Two children: Ben (7) and Gabby (3). One black lab: Rosie (9-ish)

CURRENT TRAINING: Still have another week or two in the sling while my shoulder mends, so I'm limited to walking on the "dreadmill" and some easy spinning....

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2008's highlights included IMCDA, Detroit Marathon, a handful of oly and "tweener" distance races (including a 1st place AG finish at Tri Niles, woo-hoo!), Holy Half Marathon (Notre Dame), and a 153 mile bike ride across Michigan.

2009 RACES: 2009's tri schedule is a bit up in the air right now as I had shoulder surgery two weeks ago. At a minimum, I am planning on participating in a handful of half mary's, a 24 hour bike challenge in June, North Country Trail 50 mile ultra in September, and as many tri's as my doc and shoulder will allow.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm currently about 5 pounds over my "race weight" so pretty much in maintenance mode right now. Since I got started with the endurance thing, I've lost over 20 pounds....

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Prior to triathlon, I had never run anything longer than a 5K and was one of those guys who thought there was NO WAY I could run a marathon. I've since learned that I love going long and have swum 5 miles across the Straits of Mackinac, run 3 marathons, and completed an IM. I've learned A LOT as a result (many of those lessons the hard way.....) and have really enjoyed sharing my experiences/mentoring new triathletes at work and thru our local bike shop tri team. I have plenty of spare time now that I'm on the sidelines and look forward to helping others pursue their goals!

Edited by grandhavenbill 2009-01-01 3:59 PM

2008-12-28 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1864965

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: RE: grandhavenbill's group - open
Hi Bill,
I would love to join your group if you'll have me. I see your in Grand Haven, I'm in Grand Rapids. I turned 30 this June and it almost crushed me. I watched my best friend complete IM Louisville, and knew I had to get into this. I've been training since August of this year. I have a pretty lofty goal. When I get into something, I tend to go all out. My plan is to do Steelhead HIM on August 1st. My doctor (Runner / triathlete) has cleared me to do this, but with caution. I could use some help with all aspects, especially motivation.
I'm trying to do as many races as I can during my training. Seems to keep me motivated knowing there is a race coming up in the near future. Next races - 4.0 mile run on 12-31-08 and 4.4 mile run on 1-1-09.

Thanks,
Brad

Edited by sigepbrad 2008-12-29 7:19 AM
2008-12-29 7:57 AM

User image

Carmel

Bill,

Even though I live in Indiana I would very much like to join your group.  After being out of the Army for almost 8 years I have decided to get back into the best shape possible (due to health reasons) and get started on some good triathelon training.  I have always been a runner but nothing big...usually 5K or 10K for charities.  Now I am totally fascinated with running a triathelon.

Would love your help if you would like.

Drew in Indiana

2008-12-29 2:22 PM

At 42 years old and a life of general inactivity, I began running in July with a (then) lofty goal of completing a 5k as part of a Boy Scout ticket. To my great surprise, I really enjoyed it and have continued to train. I now maintain a rotating morning routine of 35min swimming, 30min running, or 25min weight training and 10min run before work.

Now I have set my sights on a Sprint Tri as my next goal. I live outside of Kalamazoo and would love some (reasonably) local contacts. So if you are open to have a total newb in the group, I would love a place to turn for questions and motivation. Thanks in advance for being willing to give of yourself to those of us who are taking our first steps in to a larger world. 

2008-12-29 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1875084

User image

Extreme Veteran

sigepbrad - 2008-12-28 10:44 PM Hi Bill, I would love to join your group if you'll have me. I see your in Grand Haven, I'm in Grand Rapids. I turned 30 this June and it almost crushed me. I watched my best friend complete IM Louisville, and knew I had to get into this. I've been training since August of this year. I have a pretty lofty goal. When I get into something, I tend to go all out. My plan is to do Steelhead HIM on August 1st. My doctor (Runner / triathlete) has cleared me to do this, but with caution. I could use some help with all aspects, especially motivation. I'm trying to do as many races as I can during my training. Seems to keep me motivated knowing there is a race coming up in the near future. Next races - 4.0 mile run on 12-31-08 and 4.4 mile run on 1-1-09. Thanks, Brad

Welcome Brad!

Yeah, it sucks getting old.....wait until stuff starts to hurt/break!  ;-)

Steelhead is a great race, you are going to love it.  So tell me more:

1) Why did your doc include "caution" in his blessing for you to do the training/race?

2) Are you planning to do any "tune-up" tri's before Steelhead?

3) Are you following a structured training plan?

I see that you are already using the logs here, awesome.  Keep posting those workouts so we can keep tabs on you.....Also, racing as part of your training plan is a great way to stay motivated, just be careful you aren't doing too many "A" priority events close together.  It can quickly lead to burn out, injury, and/or an actual decrease in performance.  We can talk more on that later after I get a better handle on your race plans.  More to follow!

Bill

2008-12-29 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1875497

User image

Extreme Veteran
drew32apk - 2008-12-29 8:57 AM

Bill,

Even though I live in Indiana I would very much like to join your group.  After being out of the Army for almost 8 years I have decided to get back into the best shape possible (due to health reasons) and get started on some good triathelon training.  I have always been a runner but nothing big...usually 5K or 10K for charities.  Now I am totally fascinated with running a triathelon.

Would love your help if you would like.

Drew in Indiana

Hey Drew!

A big THANK YOU for your service to this wonderful country we live in, you service-folks rock! 

Hoosiers are welcome here too.  I lived in South Bend for 9 years before moving up here and grew up in Niles.  Where do you live?

Please tell me about your race plans for 2009, including standalone runs, ride, and tris (include dates/distances if at all possible).  Also, please start logging your workouts here on BT, this helps us better monitor what you are up to and provide more detailed feedback.

Welcome to the wonderful world of triathlon, you are going to love it!

Bill

2008-12-29 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1876220

User image

Extreme Veteran
CMicha - 2008-12-29 3:22 PM

At 42 years old and a life of general inactivity, I began running in July with a (then) lofty goal of completing a 5k as part of a Boy Scout ticket. To my great surprise, I really enjoyed it and have continued to train. I now maintain a rotating morning routine of 35min swimming, 30min running, or 25min weight training and 10min run before work.

Now I have set my sights on a Sprint Tri as my next goal. I live outside of Kalamazoo and would love some (reasonably) local contacts. So if you are open to have a total newb in the group, I would love a place to turn for questions and motivation. Thanks in advance for being willing to give of yourself to those of us who are taking our first steps in to a larger world. 

Hi Chris!

We were/are all newbs at one point, we're glad to have you on board.  Congrats on the lifestyle change, you are going to love triathlon.

Please let me know what your race plans are, including any standalone runs and bikes.  What sprint are you planning to do?  Also, please start logging your workouts here so we can keep an eye on you....  ;-)

More to follow, gotta run.

Bill

2008-12-29 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Hi to Drew and Chris. Looking forward to helping each other stay motivated.

Hi Bill,
to answer your questions:
1) Doc only cautioned me because my goal is quite lofty, HIM on August 1st. He just cautioned me about potential for injury due to over doing it.
2) Tune up races - Possibly Starker-mann in May and/or Johans in June. Open to suggestions on which is better / more appropriate. I think sprint and Oly distance are available for both?
3) I am using a training plan. Currently on run focused 16 week Oly distance, which gets me to a 20 week balanced 1/2 plan, which gets me to August 1st race day.

More about myself - As I type this message, my webcam is pointed at my 2 year old daughter so she can see herself dance to "Wheels on the Bus". That said, time is my most valuable and hard to come by commodity. My wife is supportive and working out as well.

I am an engineer, so I love gadgets and data. Not exactly sure what to do with all the data, but I have all of it, and enjoy looking at it.

Current 5k race pace is 7:19 m/mile. Shooting for 7:00 miles on Wednesdays 4 miler. We shall see.

So, I feel good about my running to this point, reasonably comfortable on a bike, horrible in the water. Have been swimming my whole life, but never properly.

Looking forward to your input and expertise. That's all for now...

-brad
2008-12-30 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1876306

User image

Carmel

Bill,

Thanks for having me and thanks for your thoughts on serving this great country of ours.  It was been a great honor.

I started logging my workouts yesterday and they are not set to private.

I started with the run...since that is something that I already do.  I will be starting with the swimming next week and working with a local coach to improve my stroke and distance since I've never done that "type" of swimming.  Biking...not sure how to go about it.  I have a few competitive cyclist that I work with that might give me some help and pointers.

Here are my race plans so far...

Carmel Sprint Triathlon - April 19 

Indy 500 Mini Marathon - May 2

Geist Mini Marathon - May 9

I also have a few 5K and 10K charity runs that I have signed up for.

I also start a training program with other local triathlon beginners on January 17th that is organized through a local running store.

Any suggestions?

Edited by drew32apk 2008-12-30 11:49 AM
2008-12-30 7:19 AM
in reply to: #1876611

User image

Carmel
Hi to you Brad...will need all the motivation I can get!
2008-12-31 12:42 AM

Hi,

My name is JeanMarie.  I am 21 years old and am looking to participate in my first sprint- triathalon this upcoming summer (end of June).  I have always been active, I did competitve gymnastics for several years and did rowing for a bit as well.  I have been working out regularly the past few years as well.  I am looking to get in the best shape I can so I can complete a sprint-triathalon this summer and hopefully move up to Olympic-style races next season.  I have been reading everything on the site but I feel so overwhelmed!  I have printed out a plan from this site, its the 16 week 3x balanced Sprint Plan.  I was planning on starting that in 2 weeks when I will have access to the university pool.   I'm basically just trying to get started in the triathalon and hopefully complete one this summer! Luckily I have a training partner that wants to do it as well.  Just wondering if your group was still open?  Thanks alot!

2008-12-31 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1879149

User image

Carmel

Welcome, JeanMarie!  Glad to see another first-timer.  I've started my training for a sprint tri in April and I'm pretty much addicted.

Good luck!

Drew

2008-12-31 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1879391

User image

Extreme Veteran

Welcome JeanMarie!

To all:  I'm fighting some computer issues....hopefully will get it fixed tomorrow.....lots to come real soon, thanks for your patience!

Until then, Happy New Year all!!
Bill

2008-12-31 6:25 PM

San Diego

NAME: Jan AKA Yan (male)

STORY: I'm 35 and I live in San Diego. I'm 6'4 and 205lb. Last December I started with cycling because I felt that I have to get in better shape. I was 240+lb working on my computer all day and had no exercises. I felt in love with cycling and now I feel that I can challenge myself with triathlon. I'm married and we have 3 kids. I'm self employed and I do have somewhat flexible schedule so I can train when needed.

CURRENT TRAINING: so far only cycling 100-150 miles per week. I haven't done any real swimming in about 20 years and I cant probably run more than 3 miles. I do have a swimming pool available near my house and I do have treadmill at home if that helps.

WEIGHT LOSS: I hope to be around 195lb within few weeks.

Edited by Jancouver 2008-12-31 6:53 PM
2009-01-01 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1876611

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey Gang, had some hencky modem/router issues going on the last couple of days and couldn't maintain an internet connection....knock on wood, problem is now solved.  Time to play catch up:

Brad:

1) A HIM in your first season is aggressive, but certainly doable.  There are some folks out there who did a full as their first race!  Whoof!  I second your doc's caution on overdoing it and will follow up on this in a separate group message.

2) Not sure what your HIM plan calls for, but the plan I've used has both a Sprint race in Week 12 and an OLY in Week 16.  Both are optional and can be replaced with a brick.  You could certainly flex +/- a week to accommodate a race that fits your schedule/goals/desires. 

I've never done it, but have heard great things about Johan's.  I am NOT a big fan of 3D races and I believe this is the first year for the "triple t" format at Starker-Mann so I'd be a bit leary of this one, especially as a first race.

3) The BT plans are great and you will do well with these.  Not yet knowing much about your cycling background, what kind of aerobic base you have, and your comment about swimming background, I'm a bit leary of you jumping into a 16 week OLY plan at this point as could have you doing too much high intensity work too soon (overuse injuries, burnout, etc......).  Sounds to me like you do NOT need to focus on the run, rather, the next 4-6 weeks should be spent focusing on swim technique and building a solid base, especially on the bike.

Totally relate on the family side!  My 3 year old is absolutely convinced she will be the next Disney princess and loves to dance in front of the window or a mirror so she can watch herself.  I am NOT looking forward to the teen years.....When my wife and I decided to take the IM plunge, we both agreed that training/racing could NOT interfere with family time.  As a result, I became an early morning workout guy and now wouldn't have it any other way.  Although I'm pretty well tapped by the end of the day and usually in bed by 9:30-ish, it is great to get the workouts done and NOT have them hanging over your head all day long.  One of my favorites was a getting a century ride done and being home, showered, refueled, and ready to walk out the door to church at 9:30  ;-)

I, too, am an OCD anal-retentive engineer and hooked on data......we are going to get along just fine!!

Tell me more about your cycling background.  As mentioned above, sounds like swim technique needs to be an immediate focus.  Do you have access to a master's swim program or some lessons?  The aquatics director here at Grand Haven high school is running a triathlon swim clinic on Sunday afternoons if you are interested. 

Bill

2009-01-01 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1877343

User image

Extreme Veteran

Drew:

Great choice on using a swim coach.  Bad swim habits (and most of us have them...) are easy to develop and hard to break.  Sounds like you are in good shape on the run.

Re cycling, it is all about time in the saddle and proper technique.  Definitely tap your co-workers for some help.  Assume you already have a bike?  Although you don't get the snow that we do here in W. Michigan, I'm pretty sure you won't be doing too much outside riding for some weeks either....If you can swing it, I'd recommend a trainer so you can start building a base and developing good technique.  Maybe your co-workers know of someone who isn't using their's or is looking to sell a gently used one?

The training group sounds great!  There are also great training plans here on the BT sight.

As far as the race plans go, are you tied to the Carmel Sprint?  You have time, but a few extra weeks developing swim/cycling technique certainly wouldn't hurt.  Not trying to talk you out of it, just thinking "out loud."......

Bill

2009-01-01 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1879149

User image

Extreme Veteran

Welcome JeanMarie!

Where do you live and what particular race are you training for?  Sounds like you have a solid base to build on, your core strength from rowing/gymnastics will definitely serve you well.  Tell us more about your specific swim/bike/run background.

Bill

2009-01-01 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1880501

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jan,

We are glad to have you in the group!  Congrats on the lifestyle change, you are going to love triathlon.

Do you have a specific race/distance in mind for this summer?  Sounds like you have a really solid cycling base to build on.  The swim and run will come.

I look forward to helping you on your journey!

Bill

2009-01-01 3:44 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

Hey Bill:  I'd love to join your group!  I didn't see a closed sign so hope its OK.

My name is John Davis aka fattyfatfat.  I'm 37, happily married with 2 children and 3 dogs.  Five years ago I ran the Marine Corps Marathon but since put a lot of weight on.  I had a physical in August and tipped the scales at 6' 4" 275.  I know I want to be around as long as I can so I needed to do something.  I started running again, quit drinking beer every night and have since lost almost 40 pounds. (on the BMI chart I'm no longer obese, small victory)

Never thought about doing a tri until a few months ago when a buddy asked me to do one with him.  So I bought a used Eddy Merckx road bike and signed up for the Lonestar 1/4 IM in April.  I have since fallen in love with the training.  I'm using Trinewbies Intermediate Olympic program.  Last week I signed up for a sprint the first weekend in March. 

I see Drew served, good job Drew.  I'll offically be out of the Navy next month.

I'll get my log up and running asap.

Very much looking forward to this!

John Davis

2009-01-01 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1881440

User image

Extreme Veteran

Welcome aboard John!

Thanks to you as well for your service.  Where do you call home?

40 pounds since August, awesome job!  The tri training will definitely help keep the scale moving in the right direction. 

Along with posting your workouts here, can you please give me a snapshot of where you are in your training plan (i.e. how long are your swims/runs/rides)? 

Thanks,
Bill

2009-01-01 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1881450

User image

Champion
marietta

Thanks Bill:

Houston Texas is home.  I'm from CT but did my undergrad and grad work down south and stayed.  Much cheaper down here.

Tomorrow I have a 1500 yd swim and a 25 min run.  Ironically I'm suffering on the run.  Prior to starting the program I was back out to about 7 miles on my long run.  Now I'm struggling a bit but am definately faster, 8: 20 miles in a 5k.

Sat. 30 min run     Sun. 30 mile ride   Mon.  1000 yds / 15 miles    Tues. 1000 yds  / 20 min run

Swimming, I break the main set into 100's or 250's.  This to me is the most amazing part.  When I got in the pool for the first time ever back in November, I had a hard time swimming one lap. I still don't like walking around the pool deck in my jammer though.

This plan seems a bit aggressive to me but the beginner option was way to easy.  

Any thoughts?

2009-01-01 4:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: grandhavenbill's group - FULL

OK friends, we are officially a group.  I hope you all had a great holiday and are as excited about the upcoming season as I am.  I'm now 4 weeks post-op from my shoulder surgery and am back on the bike.  The saddle seems to be much harder than it was a few weeks ago.....  ;-)

Going forward, wanted to throw out some "rules of engagement" and ask a few questions:

1) We do triathlon for fun!  There will, no doubt, be times during your training where that pesky little voice starts to ask those "why" questions......this is normal.  Everyone has their own reasons why and it is all about how you respond. 

2) It is easy to become totally immersed, just remember "Rule #1" and keep it all in perspective.  With the exception of you 20-somethings who might be genetically gifted, we are NOT going to make a living at this game.....

3) There are no dumb questions!!  Do not hesitate to ask about ANYTHING.

4) Please post your workouts in the logs here on BT.  This will help us hold each other accountable and understand what is going well/where we need to focus.

5) Thou will get sore at some point during your training.  You need to know the difference between good sore (fatigue) and bad sore (injury).  Some of the more common maladies as the volume/intensity ramps up:  shin splints/compartment syndrome, plica syndrome (knee), runner's knee, IT band irritation, and plantar's fascitis. 

Please trust me, DO NOT try to swim/ride/run thru an injury.  Pain is your body's way of letting you know something isn't right, be sure and listen!!  What could easily have been resolved with a week or two of rest/ice/stretching can become chronic.....I have first-hand experience with this.

6) Warming up, cooling down, and stretching are important!  Make sure you take the time to do this properly.  Let me know if you have questions on this.

7) If you haven't already, help us get to know you better.  Wife, kids, school, profession, other hobbies?

8) What areas of training are you currently struggling with? 

9) How many of you are using a HR monitor?

2009-01-01 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1881515

User image

Extreme Veteran
fattyfatfat - 2009-01-01 5:44 PM

Tomorrow I have a 1500 yd swim and a 25 min run.  Ironically I'm suffering on the run.  Prior to starting the program I was back out to about 7 miles on my long run.  Now I'm struggling a bit but am definately faster, 8: 20 miles in a 5k.

Swimming, I break the main set into 100's or 250's.  This to me is the most amazing part.  When I got in the pool for the first time ever back in November, I had a hard time swimming one lap. I still don't like walking around the pool deck in my jammer though.

This plan seems a bit aggressive to me but the beginner option was way to easy.  

Any thoughts?

John,

What do you mean by "suffering on the run?"  Throwing the bike into the training equation definitely makes running a whole different experience compared to "run only" training.....I like to call it "cement legs".  Have you done any brick workouts yet?

Awesome on the swimming, it is indeed amazing how quickly the body adapts.  100's/250's is fine.  You will, however, want to start stretching those distances, up to the full OLY distance, as you get closer to race day.  Assume your training plan has you doing this??

Assuming this plan doesn't leave you too sore to function and/or feeling completely exhausted, sounds like you are doing great!  Are you taking a periodic rest day though?

2009-01-01 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1881337

San Diego
grandhavenbill - 2009-01-01 12:29 PM

Jan,

We are glad to have you in the group!  Congrats on the lifestyle change, you are going to love triathlon.

Do you have a specific race/distance in mind for this summer?  Sounds like you have a really solid cycling base to build on.  The swim and run will come.

I look forward to helping you on your journey!

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for having me in your group. This group sounds fun and we all have lot in common. I'm also a data/computer geek and I run small online business so I'm almost always online. I have 3 kids. John 2, Jessica 4 and Carine 16. I'm also glad there is another 6'4 dude in our group :-)

This summer, I would love to try HIM. I just want to see if I can FINISH 70.3. Maybe I'm crazy, but I just have to dream big, thats just me.

SWIM: I'm planning to sign up at local Y or Frog club for some swimming ASAP. Based on that I will try to figure out my training plan. I need some help buying some outfit, goggles and gadgets for swimming.

BIKE: I do have 2 road bikes and one MTB. I'm planning to sell one of my road bikes and get TRI bike. I do have Garmin 705 with cadance and HR. Once I figure out my bikes, I'm planning to get power meter. In 2008 I did about 4000 miles, inluding some centuries and climbed Palomar Mt twice.

RUN: I bought new pair of shoes at Road Runner where I got "fitted". I do have older HR watch for running but planning to get Garmin Forerunner. Any suggestions on which model? I do have a treadmill at home.

Happy New Year to all!

Jan

Edited by Jancouver 2009-01-01 8:19 PM
2009-01-01 8:37 PM

Subject: RE: grandhavenbill's group - FULL
Hi my name is Ian, my training partner Jeanmarie is in this group.  I know the post said that you guys were full but I was wondering if I could maybe sneak in.  I have been active my whole life but this is my first time training for such an endurance focused event.  I'm really excited to begin the triathlon training and my goal is to compete in a sprint style this summer.  I'll begin logging my workouts asap.  Again I would really appreciate if you could fit one more body into the program.  If not, no worries.  Thanks. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » grandhavenbill's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22