BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2010-12-22 6:23 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED
NAME: Jennifer Wayland (itsallrelative_Maine)

STORY: I work from home as a project manager for a software developers in a tiny town in midcoast Maine. I have wanted to do triathlons since college, but never had the gumption. A local tri's bike route passes right past my street, so I figured that was a sign that I should at least make an attempt. That was in 2009. I was instantly hooked! The first year, I stuck to sprints, last year I branched into Olys and this year I'm going for a HIM.

FAMILY STATUS:  8 and a 10 year old daughters. One of the biggest joys of this has been seeing my girls take to sports by watching me.

CURRENT TRAINING: Winter is base building (I figure I've got to build as much base as I can having not done much athletically before 2009), spring and summer will be preparing for the HIM in September.

2010 RACES: I did a local sprint (Hope Triathlon) and a local Oly (Maine Sport Tri). I had signed up for another sprint and Oly in Sept, but family illness got in the way.

2011 RACES: In 2011, I will run a few half marathons (the first one - the Hyannis Half at the end of Feb), the local tris and the big finish to the season of the Pumpkinman HIM Sept 11.

WEIGHT LOSS: I have lost about 30 pounds since starting, but have stabilized. Now, I'm not as focused on weight loss and more focused on improving my endurance and speed.

WHAT WILL MAKE THIS A GOOD GROUP:

• Both Warren and I are very active on the forums, do a lot of research regarding triathlon and are very consistent at filling out our logs.
  • We are willing to give feedback frequently.
  • We are willing to help you with specific workout questions and goal setting for this year.
  • We participated in a mentor group together last year and it really made a difference - knowing a group is checking your logs is a great motivator.

OUR EXPECTATIONS:

• Daily training log updates regardless if worked out or not. Even a comment about why you didn't get the workout in is worthwhile - it gives us an idea where your head is at.
  • Interaction through inspires on each others logs.
  • Positive interaction and support and this thread.
  • Ask questions.

Edited by itsallrelative_Maine 2011-01-03 5:40 AM

2010-12-22 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3257135

User image

NH
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group with wbayek & itsallrelative_Maine

NAME: Warren Bayek (wbayek)

STORY: 48 yo male who was an overweight ex-athlete (not endurance sports) coach potato.  3 years ago I woke up 35 pounds overweight with striking heart disease risks factors.  Used south beach and P90x+ to lose most of the excess weight and build some lean muscle back, though I am doing neither right now.  Started playing hockey again and biking as a hobby.  Two summers ago, while rehabbing some tendinitis, my PT started talking about triathlons and Ironmam Lake Placid.  One afternoon late summer I sat on the dock at the lake and decided I would try a sprint.  I jumped in the lake and almost drowned after 25 yards, and decided not to do the sprint.  The next weekend I decided it was time to HTFU and learn to swim, and I completed a sprint that Sept.  Since then I've trained consistently and competed in a few sprints and a half ironman this year.  I’ve also run and bonked in a half marathon, so I have some failure stories/experience to share!

FAMILY STATUS: Married 15 years to a wonderful woman and we have three boys 14, 12, 8.  My 14 year old did a sprint with me this summer, which was one of my triathlon highlights.

CURRENT TRAINING:   I’m spending the winter biking hard intervals and running frequently with the BT mantra “run lots, mostly easy, sometime hard” as my guide.  I'm also figuring out how to incorporate kettlebells into my routine since as an older athlete I really need to keep my core strong and stable.  Like most on here, I'm seriously time stressed and over committed so my training needs to be minimal for my goals.

2009 RACES: I completed the Mainiac sprint tri in Sept.

2010 RACES: Great Bay half marathon, Timberman and Eastman sprints, various 5ks, and Pumpkinman Half Iron.

2011 Plan: This is going to be a short course year for me, so it’s sprints and olys only.  I don’t have any set races yet, but I expect to compete at Eastman and Timberman again, and hope to add at least 2 or 3 other triathlons.   I am still mainly building my endurance base with thought of a 2012 Ironman distance event. 

WEIGHT LOSS: 215 two years ago, and down to 180-185 now.  This is about 5-10 pounds over my in season weight, but it’s probably a good weight for me, as it's easy to maintain.  I'd like to lose those last 10 to help on the hills!

WHAT WILL MAKE THIS A GOOD GROUP:

I will reiterate what Jennifer said in that we’re very active on the forum and will answer questions and follow your training logs frequently to motivate you.

We both train very consistently and believe consistency will breed success.

We're both very positive but will push you when required.

In another life I advise athletes on nutrition, so I can help in that area as well..

OUR EXPECTATIONS:

Ask questions and have fun!

2010-12-31 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group with wbayek & itsallrelative_Maine - OPEN
I still consider myself a Newbie and would like to join your group.

NAME: Lovey

STORY: I never really worked out. I would go to the gym, lose some weight then stop and gain it back. The beginning of 2008, I decided to either accept myself or do something about it. On 2/25/2008, I started the Couch to 5K program. A month later, I joined my local running club’s beginner runner training and ran/walk my first 5K on 4/12/08. I continued to run/walk and training with various programs thru my running club including coaching the next session of the same program I started with. Then, I signed up for my first half marathon solely to make me train over the winter (alone) to keep me from getting fatter. I ran, well run/walked my first half in April 2009. I signed up for Iron girl 2009 and after failing to complete the swim in the allotted time, I started focusing on running more but I also decided to get help with my swimming. I joined a swim class. Finally, in Sept 2009, I was able to run a 5K without stopping. I found a group of women who wanted to train over the winter, so 20 of us along with a coach ran together thru the cold, rain and snow. Having a running group has been the best thing for my running. As my mileage picked up, my race times got faster. With a group to keep tabs with, I have been consistent and did 3 half marathons this year and a metric marathon. Now its time to put some of my same running efforts into biking and swimming.
The more I train, I realized, I love running, I enjoy biking and I tolerate swimming. My running motto is “run happy”. I have improved by increasing mileage slowly, just running the distance, keeping my heart rate down and not worry about pace.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two boys, 12 and 7.

CURRENT TRAINING: Building my running mileage. I run 3x week, occasionally 4x. My two mid week runs are about 5 -6 miles. My long runs range from 8 to 14 miles. I haven’t swam since mid-October but I just signed up for my swim class again which starts on 1/3 at 6:15am. I SUCK at swimming!! I haven’t biked in just as long either but will start spinning classes next week as I figure out how to set up this contraption called an indoor trainer. My strength training has been sporadic and so I need to figure out how to incorporate it consistently as my upper body is very weak.
2009 RACES: Completed numerous 5Ks and my first 10K and half marathon. Attempted my first sprint triathlon (Iron girl) and didn’t make it thru the swim. It was a .62 mile lake swim and with 200 yards to go, I had already exceeded the 1 hour time limit and was told to exit the water (get on the boat). I can’t even say how humiliated, horrible and sad I felt that day. It didn’t make me feel better that I was sick the week before and on antibiotics. The tears never seem to stop.
2010 RACES: Great year for me. I joined my current swim class on recommendation from a club member the week after that humiliating failure. Completed my first sprint tri, doing the half mile swim in 45 mins (I’m slow). Then attempted the same Iron Girl again and completed the .62 mile swim in 47 mins. I got very consistent with my running when I joined my running group. Shaved 35 mins off HM time, shaved 15 mins off 10K time, and shaved 10 mins off 5K time. I even ran a metric marathon (26.2K / 16.24 miles).

2011 Plan: I want to run more mid to long distances this year. I will run 10 milers, half marathons and contemplating a marathon. I plan to do a duathlon and considering a half century. Not ready for a full century yet, at least not on my hybrid. I am still searching for a tri as I am doing Iron Girl as a relay this year with friends and I am the biker. If I feel like I am taking on too much, I will pull back.
WEIGHT LOSS: I have always been chunky and after kids I seem to balloon. Since starting my journey on 2/25/2008, I have lost about 20lbs and dropped from a size 18 to a size 12. I would like to get toned. I plan to lose 18 to 28 pounds or get to a size 8/10 whichever comes firs

Edited by Lovey 2011-01-01 12:15 PM
2010-12-31 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group with wbayek & itsallrelative_Maine - OPEN
Welcome Lovey!

My sister lives in Riverdale, MD - she keeps telling me it would be a great place to train...every time I have been down to visit, I would have to agree.

All the running you have done is fantastic! I agree that it really does help to have at least one other person to run with - in addition to making the time go faster, it gives me the push that I need to get the workout done so I don't let the other person down. It sounds like you have built up a great support system.

As Warren knows, swimming (to me) is the necessary evil in the tri sandwich. Mostly, the swimming in a pool drives me CRAZY! I much prefer to swim in lakes and ponds, but they are all frozen now - so staring at the black line it must be.

We enthusiastically welcome you to the mentor group!
2010-12-31 4:16 PM

User image

NH
Welcome Lovey!  You've already come a long way, and this year will continue to be a success journey for you.  We'll give you all the prodding we can! 

I actually now love swimming, and that comes from a completely non-swimming background - in fact I couldn't go more than 25 yards on my first attempt and wouldn't put my face in the water.  Hopefully we can help you out in the water.

You have an aggressive year ahead, and it looks like you're going at it the right way - consistency and perseverance.  Great to have you aboard.
2010-12-31 7:03 PM

User image

Nevada
Hi,
I would love to join your group also.

Last April I stepped into a gym for the first time in years. A 49 year old woman weighing 210 pounds. I run my Jack Russell Terriers in dog agility and my thought was to just try and get a little more fit so I could keep up with them. As it turned out I met a personal trainer who helped me change my life. In 6 months I had shed 50 pounds and entered and finished a 10k with what I thought was a respectable time. For someone who never really ran or even after that race considered herself a runner it was a life changing experience. I went on to run a couple more 10ks, bought a rode bike and 3 weeks later competed in a duathlon. 
My life then changed as I moved cross country from Mass. to Nevada. The upside is I can train outside all year long. The downside is I lost my mentor/coach/motivator. I have entered a Oly the end of March and a Sprint the end April. I'm hoping to find feedback, advice, and a good kick in the butt when I need one!

"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will acomplish nothing in life." Muhammad Ali

2010-12-31 7:31 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Hello Fellow Frozen Triathletes!

I would like to join your group. 

NAME:  Kathy (KOM)

STORY:  I have been on BT since Sept 2008 when I joined on the advice of a friend.  My tri experience began in 2002 when I did the New England Danskin Sprint Tri to celebrate my 44th birthday.  Prior to that I was active but had never participated in any organized races or events! ( I grew up pre-Title 9).  I did Danskin again in 2003 and another local sprint in 2004.  My schedule was very busy and I didn't want to commit to more than one event a year.  My life got very out of control after 2004 and I didn't participate in any tris until 2009 when I did the Cranberry Oly in Lakeville MA.  Joining BT was the biggest reason I was able to get back at it.  A December challenge group (goVixens) also convinced me to run my first half mary in 2009 in Hyannis. 

STATUS:  I live in Rhode Island, which would be the warm part of New England.  I am 52, married for 31 years and have a 21 yo daughter at the Univ of VT and an 18 yo daughter who is a HS senior.  I work 2 full days and 1 half day a week as a doc in a nearby medical office.  I no longer take call so I can finally train on weekends!

2010 Races:  I ran the Hyannis Half Mary again last Feb and had a much better time.  I also did the Danskin Sprint and Cranberry Oly.  I bought a Tri bike this spring and loved riding outside.  I also quit teaching spin classes so I could focus on more outside training.

2011 Races: I just registered for Hyannis but decided to do the 10K rather than the half.  There is usually a big BT contingent so I didn't want to miss out on the fun (see you there Jennifer!!).  I am thinking about doing the Providence Half Marathon in May and will most likely do the St Pat's 5K in March since I did it last year and St Patrick's Day is MY holiday.  I plan on doing the Cranberry Oly again and need to register soon.  My big goal however is a HIM.  I really want to do this distance but am scared.   I am thinking of a fall HIM.  My daughter will graduate HS in June and I will be very busy with all that hoopla so a spring HIM is out.  I HATE the heat so a summer HIM is also out.  I am thinking of the inaugural Poconos HIM on the first weekend in Oct.  It will give me time to get my daughters situated at College and still have time for peak training in early September.  Other possibilities are Beach to Battle ship and ???

WEIGHT LOSS & HEALTH:  I am mostly happy with my weight but would ideally like to lose 10 lbs.  I was 20-25 lbs heavier in 2002 but lost it when I became more active.  I was also able to stop BP and cholesterol meds but still have to watch this. I am nursing some knee and shoulder issues so injury prevention is key this year!

EXPECTATIONS:  I would love to have support in training for a HIM.  Many of my friends did their first IMs this year and I feel like a slacker.  I post in my blog daily and try to be consistent in inspiring.  I love being part of this online community but also enjoy meeting fellow BTers in real life.  Any time you all are in southern New England give me a shout!

I am looking forward to being a part of this group!
2010-12-31 8:27 PM

User image

NH
Welcome Jacks4life.  We'd love to have you even though you left the northeast.  (The truth is we're jealous you can train outside all year).

What a great story you've already had, and we look forward to watching you progress even more this year.  I loved your blog entry on the mile swim in the pool - and we all have counting issues in the pool!  Anything over 4 laps and I'm estimating.

That March Oly will likely be our group's first tri of the year, so we'll all be watching and expecing big things!
2010-12-31 8:31 PM

User image

NH
Welcome Kathy.  Another great story.  I look forward to watching and helping you on your journey to an HIM this year if you choose to go there.  You've certainly got the background to get it done.

Jennifer is signed up for the Pumpkinman in Maine Sept 11.  Have you considered that one?  It was my first HIM this past year, and is a great event and great course for a first.
2010-12-31 9:32 PM

User image

Regular
Hi, I'd love to join your group! 

Name:  Ally

Story:  I've trained for triathlons for the past two years. The first year I injured my knee about a month before my tri (NorthEast MD Sprint), so I only managed to complete the swim.  Last year I completed Columbia IronGirl (sprint tri) but didn't finish as strong as I would have liked.  I'm hoping this will be my year to get back in shape so that I can really finish strong.  I love the sport of triathlon itself, but I also hope to lose a some weight while training this year.  I can't seem to figure out how to eat enough to be strong during my workouts w/o eating too much to lose  weight.  I love the idea of seeing each others' training logs online & getting encouragement that way. 

Family:  married with two 5 yr olds (b/g)

If it's okay, I'll post the rest of my info later; I was just hoping to get into your group before it closes! 

Happy New Year everyone!
2011-01-01 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Welcome all!

Jacks4life - we will live vicariously through you as you describe the wonderful weather you get to train in. Best of luck with your goals!

Kathy - looking forward to seeing you at the Hyannis Half/10K...I'm hoping it will keep me running through the colder months. Take a look at the Pumpkinman HIM in South Berwick, ME - it is a very well run event (I volunteered at it last year while Warren was racing).

Ally - fantastic to have you here!

2011-01-01 8:01 AM

User image

NH
Welcome Ally.  You injured your knee training for your first tri, but you still started and completed the swim?!  Serious HTFU on your part!  I think I would have sulked and skipped it.  Looking forward to watching your progress this year.

Edited by wbayek 2011-01-01 8:01 AM
2011-01-01 9:24 AM

New user

Sellersville
Hi,

My name is Lesia Petrizio, soon to be 46 year old female.  I have been married for 25 years with one child who is 18 and in college.

I am a personal trainer and teach group fitness at my local YMCA and weight loss expert.  I am in good shape.  I run half marathons and ride.  I want to do tri's in the worst way and need help.  The coach needs a coach!

I don't know if I will have all the time in the world to train with my business but I want to at least "tri"! 

Any and all help is so appreciated!  Whatever I can contribute I will do so!  Laughing
2011-01-01 11:59 AM

User image

NH
Come on in Lesia.  It'll be great to have a pro in our group!  You can help us with the running, and maybe we can get you in the water.  Pick an event and let's get you started.
2011-01-01 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Welcome Lesia - great to have someone on board who knows about conditioning and weight training. If you have already run a half marathon and are good with cycling - you're two thirds of the way there. It is a fun sport with some very kind athletes. It sounds like you are looking forward...great job.

To all - I must apologize in advance, I spilled coffee on my keyboard a couple of days ago and the space bar hasn't been the same...so if all my words run together - please forgive me! A new keyboard is on order and should be here next week.
2011-01-01 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3270555

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
alsiedee - 2010-12-31 10:32 PM

Hi, I'd love to join your group! 

Name:  Ally

Story:  I've trained for triathlons for the past two years. The first year I injured my knee about a month before my tri (NorthEast MD Sprint), so I only managed to complete the swim.  Last year I completed Columbia IronGirl (sprint tri) but didn't finish as strong as I would have liked.  I'm hoping this will be my year to get back in shape so that I can really finish strong.  I love the sport of triathlon itself, but I also hope to lose a some weight while training this year.  I can't seem to figure out how to eat enough to be strong during my workouts w/o eating too much to lose  weight.  I love the idea of seeing each others' training logs online & getting encouragement that way. 

Family:  married with two 5 yr olds (b/g)

If it's okay, I'll post the rest of my info later; I was just hoping to get into your group before it closes! 

Happy New Year everyone!

Hi everyone,
Thanks for welcoming me to the group. I started off the year right with a 5 mile run but negated that with a boston creme donut they for postrace snacks. I am looking forward to getting in the swing of things.

Hey Allie,
I did Columbia IronGirl this year too. I didn't do NorthEast MD Sprint but I trained on the course with a friend who was doing it.
I thought about doing Northeast this year since I am doing IronGrl as a relay. However, I am contemplating the new DUthe2 Duathlon the week before NorthEast (http://www.creativetsolutions.com/DUthe2/home.asp). Its 2 MILE RUN, 26 MILE BIKE, 4 MILE RUN course.

2011-01-01 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
A couple of businessy (come on - that's a word - isn't it?) things...if you add the other folks in our group to your friends list, they will show up in the Friends area on your log (over on the left, towards the bottom)...this makes it easy to glance at their logs and leave inspires. To add someone to your friend list - from the Settings icon (top tool bar right over the Races button), select the Training Blog Customization tab, then the friends tab...now add all of our names!

For the record - the following people are part of the mentor group as of now:  itsallrelative_Maine, wbayek, Lovey, Jacks4life, KOM, alsiedee, MindBodyandSoul.

Also - if you want to respond to something someone said in an "inspire" - if you click on the "Reply" button - then your response will show up in their log - that way you don't have to go searching through someone's logs to see what they had to say in response to something you said.
2011-01-01 12:45 PM

User image

Regular

Hi, again –

Sorry for the abbreviated intro post last night.  Thanks for letting me join your group.  Here’s a the rest of my info -

NAME:  Ally

STORY:  

Way back when, there was a time when I was pretty darn fit and reasonably athletic.  My conditioning slid downhill in my later 30s and then at 40 I had multiples.  That was five years ago and I am still trying to get back into shape.  I am really hopeful that this can be my breakthrough year. 

In 2009 I trained for a tri from Jan-June and made decent progress in each sport - I even got to the point where I liked running instead of thinking "I hate running" with every step.  ...but then one day I ran with some women who were not only faster than I but we went about twice as far as I usually ran.  It felt great that day but the next day I could barely walk - a nasty overuse injury that took months to heal, even with PT.  Since I couldn't bike or run again yet, I only did the swim in the tri I had registered for (NorthEast (MD) Sprint).  An official DNF.

Last year, 2010, I trained again & did complete my first tri (Columbia IronGirl), but I didn't finish as strong as I had hoped for.   Part of that was due to (not keeping up with my) training, part due to crazy cramping during all three sports, and part due to being emotionally spent - I had buried my dad just the day before.  I ended up walking most of the run -  I only kept going to avoid a second DNF. 

This year I’d like to make consistent training part of my lifestyle, instead of something I “do” for 6-8 months before wearing out.  I’d love to do more long-distance rides on the bike (my best sport) and work up to longer runs.  For the swim, I’ll be content to work on getting stronger & more efficient so that I can really swim hard during a sprint tri rather than just finish. 

CURRENT TRAINING:   Sorely lacking.  I haven’t done much the last few months except an occasional swim workout.   I hit the gym for the first time in ages last week.  So, it will be like starting all over.  Again.   Initially, I’ll be working to get myself to the gym for 1-2 workouts in each sport, 1 weight training, and 1 core workout per week.  I’ve signed up for a swim clinic in mid-Jan and will start a group triathlon conditioning pgm at the end of Jan (we’ll work out together 1x/week in each sport). 

2010 RACES: 

5K (my first ever)  - Women’s Distance Festival, Columbia, MD

Sprint Tri – Columbia IronGirl

2011 PLAN:

May 1st – 5K – Howard County LIFEfest, Columbia, MD

June 26th - Sprint Tri – Celebration, Columbia, MD

July (TBD) – 5K – Women’s Distance Festival, Columbia, MD

Aug 14th - Sprint Tri – North East Tri, MD

Aug 21st - Sprint Relay (bike) – Columbia IronGirl, MD –this one just for fun with some friends

WEIGHT LOSS:

I lost about 20 lbs last year, but I really need to lose an additional 30-40 to reach a healthy weight.  For me, weight loss will be key to being able to finish stronger. 

2011-01-01 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3271120

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Ally,
we live in the same town or bordering towns at least because I do the same races you have listed.
If you need company running, you are welcome to try my group out. We range from 8 min milers to 15 minute milers.
we leave no one behind. you run your pace and the faster ones who run ahead turn around and loop the back of the group so everyone get the benefit of group training. With winter training, we all stick together. Send me a PM (private message) if you are interested.

I am the IronGirl biker so you will see me on the course.

Edited by Lovey 2011-01-01 4:26 PM
2011-01-01 4:06 PM

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
I would like to join your group.
2011-01-01 4:09 PM

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
Oh..sorry.  I am new to the group and I hope you have room for me.

I am a 43 year old female contemplating an Olympic Triathlon.  Last year I did my first...a sprint...and it went amazingly well and I would like to challange myself more.

Please let me know if you have room for me. I need lots of encouragement and motivation..and would love to help others in the process!

2011-01-01 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3271401

User image

NH
jgrigg - 2011-01-01 5:09 PM Oh..sorry.  I am new to the group and I hope you have room for me.

I am a 43 year old female contemplating an Olympic Triathlon.  Last year I did my first...a sprint...and it went amazingly well and I would like to challange myself more.

Please let me know if you have room for me. I need lots of encouragement and motivation..and would love to help others in the process!

Plenty of room, so welcome.  Congrats on your sprint and hopefully you pull the trigger on the Olympic.  Do you have one picked out yet?
2011-01-01 5:05 PM

User image

New York
Name: Mike

I started training and competing in triathlons in 2010, did better than I thought I would.
           Seems I'm hooked now, always worked out growing up so the tri's were a good fit for me.
           I am big on training logs, both filling them out and looking back on them.

I competed in 3 tri's, 1 duathlon and 2 runs in 2010.

Currently training for more speed this year on the bike, I don't like the bike and it doesn't            seem to like me. So I have been spending a lot of time on the bike and have been taking
           spin classes  to help me out.

In 2011, I plan on all the races I did in 2010, In addition a new sprint race near me, an Oly
           in Wilkes Barre, PA and a Half IM in Delaware.

Thanks, Mike

2011-01-01 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3271457

User image

NH
Welcome Mike.  Your training and consistency look awesome.  I had huge breakthroughs last year on the bike, so hopefully my experiences there can help.

You have a pretty heavy race schedule - love it.  Is the half going to be your "A" race or just a fun thing to accomplish?
2011-01-01 10:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Hey Gang, I would like to jump in your group. I know Warren from a prior group and enjoyed the group we were in. The advise and information I received helped me with my 2 Sprints last year. 

NAME:  Scott

STORY:
47 yo male who was at a dinner party last Christmas Eve 2009.  My good friend and I had been drinking (maybe alittle too much) and he challenged me to sign up for a Sprint Tri in June '10 (Columbia Sprint).  Being I did not want to back down from a challenge and we started talking about the race .64mi swim, 17mi bike and 5k run didn't seem like it would be that difficult.  I felt I had a strong background in biking and have run 5k's before, but was a little afraid of the swim, but thought a 1/2 swim wouldn't be that bad.  In January '10 I took a swim class and swam 25 yards and thought I was going to drown. I thought to myself...what have I done?.  I began swimming more, and biking on a trainer until the weather became warmer, then rode outdoors.  I did complete that race, not the best time but finished and signed up for a fall race. The Osprey Sprint Tri, Snow Hill, MD.  This was a much better race and finished better, however still wasn't a fan of the water.  This past November our gym had just enlisted the help of a swim coach, David Wendko who is fantastic.  I am now swimming 3000/4000 yards and he has made corrections to my form and stroke.  I am always looking to improve all aspects of my training and can give advise.  By the way my friend is 54 yrs old and he kicks my butt.  I am not looking to beat him (I wish I could) just want to improve my times and keep off the weight.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married 15 years to a great and very supportive woman. We have two children: boy 12 and girl 9.  My 12 year old plays lacrosse and when I take him to practice is when I get in my running.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  I’m currently riding indoors, and swim Tue/Thur/Sat.  I need more core training and will try to incorporate that on swim days.  I have limited time and my job puts a crap into my training.  Since November I really have only been swimming and a very little running.  January is here and it is time to get back into training.

2010 RACES:
  Columbia Celebration Sprint, and Osprey Sprint

2011 Plan:
Columbia Olympic; signed up, maybe Columbia Sprint again, or Lums Pond and Osprey Sprint.

Looking forward to being apart of the group and contributing where I can.  I will say this, being apart of group makes you feel very committed to your workouts.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23