2010-12-28 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: Big Steve's Group - CLOSED
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: NOW 

NAME: stevepiv / Steven

STORY:  In the spring of ’09 I started getting depressed about the fact that I was going to be turning 40 in September. I committed to myself that I would be in the best shape of my life for that birthday and signed up for a sprint triathlon.  It worked!  I trained my heart out, got into great shape, had a really good first race and am now totally hooked on the sport. 

FAMILY STATUS: I live in New Jersey, have been married for 19 years and have 2 girls ages 17 and 11.  This hobby would not be possible without their support but I do try hard for it not to interfere with too many things.  Yes that means less late night TV and early rises before the “family” day begins.  I own and run a 70 person software company so that affords me some leeway on punching the clock at work but I try very hard not to take advantage of that.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently training for Ironman Lake Placid. I swim for about 3 to 5 hrs a week. I bike, mostly on the indoor computrainer for now, for about 5 to 7 hrs a week  and run for about 3 to 5 hrs a week. The volume is not too crazy yet but will soon get there.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I completed the following races this year (2010).

• Rutgers Half Marathon
  • Broad St 10 Mile Run
  • Columbia Triathlon – Olympic Distance
  • Jersey Genesis Triathlon – Sprint Distance
  • Jim Hegedus Memorial 5k Run
  • Toughman Triathlon – Half Ironman
  • ING New York City Marathon
  • Las Vegas Rock-N-Roll Half Marathon

2011 RACES: The race schedule for ’11 is shaping up as follows:

• Rutgers Half Marathon
  • Black Bear Sprint Triathlon
  • Ironman Rhode Island (70.3)
  • Ironman Lake Placid
  • Ironman Pocono Mountains (70.3)
  WEIGHTLOSS: I weight 192 pounds and am 6’ tall. I don’t have a specific goal but I could definitely benefit by shedding about 5 lbs.  Food is definitely my weakness.  I have build up incredible willpower to train but cannot do the same with my diet.  Plus, I come from a large eastern European family and am blessed with many many friends.  Every weekend get together is centered around FOOD and lots of it.   My new years resolution will be to try and control my eating more.  I can offer you a lot of training advice but will admit that I’m not the one to go to with diet questions unless its about race nutrition.  I haven’t bonked yet so I guess I’m doing alright in that category J.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Needless to say, I talk about Triathlons and training A LOT.  Many friends and co-works have told me how much of an inspiration I am when they hear about the races I’ve completed and the training hours that I put in.  I have successfully recruited a couple of folks to start participating in events and have surprised myself with the amount of useful advice I have been able to give them for their various races. I love sharing any knowledge if it’s going to make a difference for someone else.  Here is a link to a post I submitted this year on Active.com. http://community.active.com/thread/86526/from-sprint-to-olympic-my-lessons-learned/0/0  .  I’ve only been doing this for a year and half but have learned so much about this sport that I think I can be an asset to someone starting out.  If I don’t have an answer I will admit it rather than steering you wrong or will try to find the answer for you.  I'm in the software business so you can bet I'm by a computer most days and I'm on BT at least once a day.  I am really excited about mentoring others and the opportunity to give back to the sport that has done so much for me.

-Steven

------
Set a goal, exceed it, repeat

Edited by stevepiv 2011-01-14 8:29 AM

2010-12-28 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3264702

User image

Veteran
Subject: Steven, would love to join
Steven, I would love you join this group!  We are practically neighbors here in NJ.

Name: James

ME:  
After being way to fat for way to long last november after watching food inc. I decided enough was enough and I needed to get into shape.  On 11/7/09 I weighed in at a whopping 335#; my goal was to lose 100# by the time that we put our offshore fishing boat back in the water in April!  After a lot of sweat equity and learning how to eat right I made my goal on 4/11/10.  Once I started to get into some shape I started to train for my first Marathon.  About 12 weeks into the program I shattered my leg from all the running; this brought me to the biking.  After the biking bug bit me in a big way I needed a new longer term goal.  And what better goal than to complete my first Olympic distance Tri.  I have a few races picked out for the spring (sprints) and a few (olympic) distance races picked out for later in the summer.  And maybe just maybe a HIM in the early to late fall.  I have yet to start my swim training but I am signed up for Total Immersion at the end of January.

Family Status: Married

Current Training: Right now I am training 6-7 days about 2 hours a day or 25 hours a week.  Now that the weather is cold my long road rides on weekends have been cut back so my time is decreasing as I need to get a trainer or rollers.  I am trying to run and bike at least 4 times a week for each.  After total immersion at the end of the month I will start my swimming. 

2011 Races: I have 8 races targeted with the first few being sprints and then 3 olympic distance races towards august. 

Weightloss: I am at about 222. I have been as low as 203 but I could not hold that weight.  I want to be at 185lbs for my first tri. 

Goals:  
Goal #1 Not be the last person to finish or drown on the swim!
Goal # 2 Not have to tread water or any other swim assist or walk on the run. 
Goal# 3 Hit 185# for my august races
Goal # 4 Increase my run distances to feel comfortable with a HIM 
-----
www.northernivy.com - My Blog Burning Lungs and Bloody Decks 
2010-12-28 8:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: RE: Big Steve's Group - OPEN
Welcome James!  8 races next year, wow.  I would say that's pretty aggressive but I love the enthusiasm.  Congrads on the weight loss to date.   When you said "Shattered my legs" ... what happened exactly?

-Steven
2011-01-05 4:36 PM

hey guys!! steve i would love it if you could help you!

my stats:
name: mat
live: freehold and plainsboro nj

background: i have been an athlete my whole life and once i got to the ripe age of 20 i realized that my life was not going to a pro athlete so i became a firefighter. i am now a career firefighter. i have always been into distance running, when i began competing at age 13 i ran the 1600m and broke 515 then in high school i broke 5 mins every race. i now have gotten into the lovely life of fitness and endurance training. my fiance lost her sister to luekemia 3 years ago and in her memory i did my first half marathon as part of team in training last year ( LB Half 2:12) and i was hooked. i am now venturing into my first tri ( NJ Devilman May 7) as part of team in training. i am so excited about since this has been a lifelong dream to compete in an IRONMAN. i know i am way off from that ( i am only doing a sprint) but i feel like i am actually on my way. 

weightloss goals: i am currently 5'9" bouncing around 190lbs, i would like to get down to 170lbs by the race.

goals: i would like to make this my first of many and i know that depends on my experience and training. since i am doing this as part of team training i want to build a foundation that i can carry into my OWN tris. hopefully another one this year.

any of your help would be greatly appreciated.

mat

i am new to this site so not sure how it works. i guess i get messages on here or do i give my email. thanks agianCool 

Edited by mat13pal 2011-01-05 4:44 PM
2011-01-05 5:23 PM

Hi Steve,

Do you take beginners? below is a short bio of myself.

I would like to be a part of your mentor group if that is ok, i am a complete novice with who has registered for a enticer (300, 10, 2) race to be held on the 13th of feb (which will be a challenge) but have never ridden a bike or swam before i started training on the 1st of December 2010 but consider myself of average fitness. I am most concerned about the swim leg and the fact that i will need to do 300m without any breaks in the open water because for two reasons i've never swam in the open water before and i've never swam 300m continuously. However atm i am comfortable swimming 600-800m's in the pool in 25-50m blocks.

NAME: James, i currently reside in Sydney, Australia (we are currently in our summer, 30 degrees today!).

Story: An ex-college of mine gave me the idea that doing a triathlon was a good idea he was a former world champion and inspired me to really challenge myself, set myself a goal and achieve it so here i am!

FAMILY STATUS: I am a 26yo professional, single with no children.

CURRENT TRAINING: I don't really have a training plan atm but if you look at my training log it will give you some idea of what i doing. I am focusing my training on the swim so i am training to fit 3-4 session in the Olympic pool a week and then fitting my training for the run and the bike around that. So 2-3 sessions on the bike (try and get out btw 30-40km pw) and 2-3 session on the run (try to get out btw 6-12km pw).

2011 Races: Elite Energy - Jervis Bay - Callala Beach (Enticer), potential one in March as well (huskinson beach).

James
2011-01-05 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3280521

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Hey Mat,

Welcome aboard.  Would love to help any way that I can.  All you do is keep posting questions here and I get notified.  By default you should be getting notifications via email as well when a response to your thread is posted.

Everyone in the group see's each other's questions and answers.  Or you can use the "send private message" option if you want to which is fine too.

Have you chosen a training plan yet to follow?

-Steven

2011-01-05 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3280635

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member

Hey James from Down Under!

Beginners are very welcome.   Would love to help in any way that I can.  For my first Tri the swim was was my weakest link and I regret not spending more time on it so its good that you're focusing on that first.  Definitely work on building endurance and don't worry about speed.  If and when you get tired you can always do the back stroke for a few minutes to catch your breath.  That’s what I did for my first Tri.

Let me know if you have any questions at all. 

-Steven

2011-01-06 7:49 AM

New user

I can't think of a perfect person to be a mentor!  

(For those reading my post, Steve is a close friend I have known for 13 years + he is also my boss.  He has given me the training bug too but I have yet to compete in an event).

NAME: Jules.  I reside in Northern NJ

2010 was both a great year and a challenging one for me.  I quit smoking in January 2010 after a 23 year habit.  That, among other events had me gain a ton of weight.

I've signed up for a triathlon in June 2010 and have been working out consistently for several months now.  (Approximately 2 hours a day).  So far I have lost 24lbs and have about another 30lbs to go to get to my goal.

FAMILY STATUS: Married

CURRENT TRAINING: I don't have a training plan in place right now but I do some form of cardio for an hour every morning (usually the treadmill or elliptical) and follow that up after dinner with an hour of biking.  I haven't really been paying much attention to how far I run/bike and the time it takes.  I just hop on the machine and jog/cycle for an hour.  However, now that we are in the new year, I will add swimming to the mix and start to pay attention to my times and distances.

2011 Races: Black Bear Triathlon - Poconos - June 5th (Sprint event)

I'm really excited about participating in my first triathlon (albeit nervous), but I can't wait to cross that finish line! 
2011-01-06 8:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Welcome to the group Jules!!!

Start logging your workouts here and get into the pool ASAP.  Form and speed doesn't matter at this point.

-Steven
2011-01-06 11:15 AM

User image

Millburn

Hi Steven, I would like to join your group as a beginner.  I also live in NJ (Millburn) and I thought being part of a “local” group would be beneficial in a lot of ways.

My name is Steve Togher

Member ID: TriToga

About me: I’m 47 and I’ve always been a bit of a gym rat, but never really had a goal in mind.  I joined a gym in Princeton in December 2010 (yup – I commute to Princeton– not fun), but I’ve been hitting the gym every morning for about 1.5 hours.  I’ve discovered setting a goal of doing a sprint triathlon to be the motivation I needed.  I can’t believe how much I love the cross-training.   

Current Training: I am new to the sport and trying to figure it all out.  That said I’m trying to keep it simple: I swim twice a week for 30-40 minutes (about 500 meters) followed by a short run (1-1.5 mil) or strength training; Spin class twice a week (50 min) followed by a short run (1-1.5 mil) or strength training; Long run once day, currently 3 miles.  As my strength and endurance improve I will need to make some changes and get serious about a training program and keeping a log. 
I just got my first hear rate monitor and pair of cycling shoes Cool

Family Status:  Married for almost 16 years with two children ages 8 and 5. 

2011 Races: I've targeting the Pantellas Doc and Sok in Watchung on May 22, 2011

Weight: Like you, am disciplined when it comes to exercise, but food in-take is always a weakness.  At 6 ft and 200lbs, I need to lose 10 at least, but it’s just not coming off. 15 years ago I could bounce between 185 and 200 at will, but no more…  

I'm very excited about the race and really welcome the opportunity to be with like minded people.

Thanks very much. 

2011-01-06 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3282217

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Hey Steve,

Welcome to the group!  Just wait until your cross that finish line in May, you're gonna love it!
Sounds like you're well on your way and are doing a lot of the right things.  This site has a lot of plans to choose from.  I highly recommend selecting one, importing it into your calendar and logging your actual training.  I print the reports & graphs weekly and hang them next to my computer.  Looking at the graph alone is very motivational and keeps me going.  

-Steven

PS: I'll be in Princeton tonight at the place called La Mezzaluna on Witherspoon.  Awesome Italian place.  If you haven't been I highly recommend it.  Carbs are our friends :-)

2011-01-06 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Great article...

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/triathlon-training-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

-Steven

PS:  Post your workouts people!!!
2011-01-07 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: Getting notifications for new entries to this thread
Instead of logging on to check for new entries to this group's thread, its a lot easier to get notified of new entries view email.

Click on Settings @ the top
Click on the Forum Settings Tab
Change “Receive email notifications by default?”  (3rd option) to Yes
Change "Include the body of the message in update notifications?" to Yes

-----------

What are your training plans for the weekend??  Share them by replying...

I have a Bike+Run brick to do today about 2 hrs total
Tomorrow I'm riding the Lake Placid virtual course on my computrainer.  Will try to get in 56 miles which would be a first for me on the trainer.

-Steven
2011-01-07 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3282528

User image

Millburn
Big Steve

I discovered the Watchung event isn't until June 22 (it was listed incorrectly on our site). That's a bummer as I really don't want to wait that long for my first race.  Can you recomend another that would be good for a first timmer?  I searched a ton of sited looking for one, but I thought you might have a suggestion - maybe even one that's not to far away from Millburn/Maplewood/Chattam, etc...

Thanks very much. 

...and yes, La M is amazing!!!
2011-01-07 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3284879

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Hey Steve,

The earliest ones I could find are:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/index.asp?ispostback=1&t=r&todayforward=0&country=58&catid=143&todayforward=0&rt=1-2&d1=1%2F7%2F2011&d2=5%2F31%2F2011&sort=date&filter=&searchname=&zipcode=&maxradius=10&maxradiustype=km

You probably already saw these yourself. Unfortunately I don't have any info on any of them.  The feedback looks pretty good on the first 2.  When you click on them you'll see "Members who are scheduled to race", I would send them a question to see if they think its a good first race or  just post the question in the "Triathlon Talk" forum.  Personally, I don't see how you can go wrong with either.  You'll be so excited about being part of a triathlon that you wont notice anything negative about the event.  Let me know which one you end up signing up for.

-Steven
2011-01-08 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: Discounts for completing the survey
At the top of the page you'll see a link to "take our annual member survey".  I was presently surprised by the discount codes that showed up after I completed it.  You'll get a code for:

15% off @ http://www.onetri.com.Expires Feb 1, 2011. Cannot be used on heavy items, such as bikes, wheels, and items already subject to a discount. Further restrictions may apply.

$250 off any Full price XTERRA FULLSLEEVE WETSUIT  http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/btsurvey.Expires Feb 1, 2011.

$20 off coupon @ http://www.infinitnutrition.com- Expires Feb 1, 2011. US only.

$20 off any Rev3 event in 2011. http://www.rev3tri.com

2011-01-08 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: Weekly totals
How much did you train this week? (Sunday to Saturday) Reply with your weekly totals. It's not a competition but everyone seeing each others numbers will be inspirational for the following week. You can just copy and paste from the training log calendar view. Here are mine:S:  6350.00 Yd 2h 23m 45sB: 157.56 Mi 8h 12m 20sR:  10.00 Mi 1h 34m 30sStr:  1h 30m 

Edited by stevepiv 2011-01-08 5:24 PM
2011-01-08 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: This Weeks Total....
My training log is over on training peaks so let me see if I can get some data here as well.

Bike: 75.7 Miles (if we are including the trainer as well)
Run 9.8 Miles
Swim: Not in the pool yet doing a Total Immersion Clinic Jan 29, 30th in Hoboken then it is off to the pool!  Figured I better learn how to swim properly rather than just get in the pool and engrain a poor stroke! 

Weight Started the week at 224 and end the week at 211; but weekends are always the worst part!   
2011-01-08 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Is anyone still riding outside?
So this is the first week that I have not been able to get outside at all!  And let me tell you what a horrid week (my mileage is down roughly 100 miles)!  I so look forward to my long saturday and sunday rides to get in some base mileage.  But this week the cold and icy roads has had me on the spin bike; yuck!  Just curious is anyone still riding outside?  And by all means if anyone is looking to ride outside I am always game!
2011-01-09 9:46 AM

hey guys-

i hope everyone is having a great weekend!!!

steve sorry i havent answered your question yet< i have to change my settings so i get updATES. i havent really choosen a plan yet> i know i have to start pushing it. this week was a tough week to get going< so i only ran 10-12 miles and biked for 4 hours ( 4 hour sessions of spin at WOW in freehold) no pool time. i have to dial it in. any suggestions.

mat
2011-01-09 3:21 PM

Hi Steve, if you still have one more I would like to join your group.STORY: I am 43 and live in Orange County, CA. Back in November I decided to make some personal changes and went on a diet..the funny thing is my family and friends all said you look great and your not fat....you just carry the weight really well. For some reason that just made me feel worse I am 6'2" and was weighing in at a soft 227 lbs.....the biggest I have ever been! I am happy to say I have lost 30 lbs and weigh 195. This weight loss was different than anything I had ever done.....I did not exercise at all other than my weekly basketball game. In the past I have always lifted heavy weights and as result was pretty big but not cut.....this time around I decided to lean my body by diet....which has worked.I wanted to set a goal for myself that would help me change my body and my life. After reading so many testimonials on this site I am convinced i found the right place.FAMILY: I am married to my high school sweetheart for almost 23 years and have a son that is 14 and a daughter that is 12 going on 17! Oh yeah....we have Chloe our loveable yellow lab that is also about to go on a training program!CURRENT TRAINING: for the past couple of weeks I have been easing back into some training at the gym including light weight and more reps plus some cardio including running, riding and swimming a couple of times last week......which was brutal! Tomorrow morning I am going to start the Sprint 16 week swim focused program.2011 RACES: I have signed up for my very first race the Sprint at Mission Beach in San Diego on May 1st.....no turning back now!WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE?: I am excited to do this....I am already visualizing the finish line...but I need help to get there.....I feel like I'm all alone in this challenge....the family is looking at me like I'm crazy.....I need someone to help me silence the voice in my head that is telling me to stop and quit.

2011-01-09 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3288349

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Hey Sooner, welcome aboard.  You have definitely chosen the right sport to change your body and your life. Stick to this long enough to cross the finish line and you will never regret it.  I warn you, there is a 95% change of addiction! But like all my friends tell me, one can have worse vices in life than triathlons.

Couple of things..

Instead of logging on to check for new entries to this group's thread, its a lot easier to get notified of new entries view email.

Click on Settings @ the top
Click on the Forum Settings Tab
Change “Receive email notifications by default?” (3rd option to Yes)
Change "Include the body of the message in update notifications?" to Yes

Also,  post your weekly summary here after your Saturday workout. It will be motivational for everyone too see each others progress.

Good luck!  Looking forward to helping any way I can.

-Steven
2011-01-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3287886

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Hey Mat,

No worries.  Try to get some pool time in this week.  My biggest regret after my first tri was not spending enough time in the pool.  Let me know if you need any help selecting the right plan.

-Steven
2011-01-09 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3287307

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: RE: Is anyone still riding outside?
Hey James,

I've been running outside but not riding outside. The back roads are brutal out here with all the ice and snow. Been spending countless hours on the computrainer indoors instead. There is nothing like company, would love to join you for a ride outside one of these days.  My schedule is gonna be nuts for about a week but afterwords lets see if we can get a ride in together.

-Steven
2011-01-09 5:31 PM

User image

Vancouver Isand, BC
Hi Steve, hoping you have room for one more beginner looking for some inspiration and insight Laughing

NAME:  Maureen

MY STORY:  Well I guess for me it's a "getting older thing"; I've been overweight all my life; never by much but just enough to be called "big boned".   I've also been atheletic but at the age of 40 I had to stop baseball, my passion (rotator cuff problems and arthritis) and with that came a 5 year wallow in self pity and an out-and-out struggle with weight.  In 2009 I started up Judo, mountain biking and jogging but too much too fast putting me on the injury list very quickly (2 knee strains, a broken toe, and then 2 slipped disks).  But even with injury I didn't want to pull out of my first 8K and trained anyway, I completed the race with an exceptable time but far from my original Non-injury goal.  I have since taken the time off to heal and am now ready to achieve my all time goal of a half ironman by age 50, but in the interim I've started training for an Olympic distance.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married, no kids, two German Shepherd Dogs and two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING:  A 13-week beginners Olympic distance program.  But with a twist, as I'm just restarting my training, I'm starting very slowly to avoid injury this time and should be at their exact level by week 4.

WEIGHT LOSS:  I wish to be at a goal of 150 but May 2011, but I choose to focus on training for the Ironman and hopefully eating healthily for that will get me there rather than focusing on "weight loss" per si.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Steve's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24