BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-04-08 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hi everyone,

Name:  My name is Colin Cook and my username is HockeyHands.

Story:  Last year was my first season of triathlons.  Over the year, I have achieved all of my goals and have developed a real passion for triathlons, while also obtaining a lot of information about the sport.  I come from an athletic background and played hockey in college.  I am currently a certified USA Swimming coach and teach a weekly "Tri" swim class at the local YMCA.  In May, I will be obtaining my USAT Coaching Certificate and will be a certified coach.  I am also currently in the process of creating my own triathlon team based in Massachusetts called NorthEast MultiSport.  I really enjoy helping others and helping people achieve their goals.

Status:  I am single.  I do have a serious girlfriend, but do not have any kids.

Current Training:  Right now I am in the process of preparing for my first Ironman.  I usually train about 12-15 hours, but will be increasing my training after I complete my first half Ironman of the year at the beginning of June.

Last Year's Races:  I started of the year by running the Boston Marathon.  My main race of the season was the FirmMan Half Ironman in RI, but I also did a couple Olympic and Sprint distance races along the way.

2010 Races:  My main race will be Ironman Arizona.  However, I will also be doing the Mooseman Half Ironman, Syracuse 70.3, and 6-7 other shorter races along the way.

Weightloss:  I am currently not trying to lose any weight.

What will make me a good mentor:  As I mentioned above, I really enjoy helping people.  I have a lot of great knowledge that I would look like pass on to people new to the sport.  I remember how many questions I had when I first started doing triathlons and I didn't really have a "mentor" to help answer these questions.  I also intend to help inspire and motivate people to stick to their training and reach their goals even when "life" gets in the way.  As I also mentioned above, I am a certified USA swimming coach so if anyone really needs help with their swim, I should be able to help.  I will be a certified USAT coach by the end of May.  As a result, this could be your chance to get some free coaching from an actual coach.

Edited by hockeyhands 2010-04-18 1:28 PM

2010-04-16 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Roswell
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - OPEN

Hey Colin,

Thanks for takin on the role of Mentor! I'm sure I am not the only Newbie that is grateful. Let me see if I can follow the flow of your bio...

My name is Natasha and my username is Native.

Story: I also come from an athletic background and growing up at the beach made it ALOT easier! I'm more of a runner than anything else, but won't say I'm the fastest. And well, I'm no stranger to OWS! I turned to tri's (or the idea of) because I really wanted to challenge myself and because well, WHY NOT?!?!?!

Status: Single. No kids. So aside from work, I have nothing but time to train!!!!

Current Training: Sporadic. Yes, I chose the right word.  This is one of the main areas i need help with.  Getting on a regular training program and  understanding that program. I have been doing alot of strength training and trying to get in one to two mid rides a week (and by mid I mean low end of 22 miles with a group) and another day by myself.  I am typically swimming for about 40minutes every other day (not keeping track of distance) and run in the evenings on the other days with strength training mixed in.

Last years races: All running (5k's, 10k's, Half Marathon)

2010 Races: Undecided. I suppose that is due to not wanting to be unprepared and end up injuring myself. Looking to do Sprints (My first tri/West Point Lake/BFAST), Marathon (ING GA Marathon), and an Olympic (again, undecided)

Weightloss: Can't afford to lose anymore weight.

What will make me a great candidate to mentor: I'm a sponge!  I love to learn and need to learn (perfectionist)

"Quitting is not an option"

2010-04-16 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2797106

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Natasha!

First off welcome to the group and thanks for joining.  You background looks great and it sounds like the motivation/desire is there.  Now we just need to get some more structure in your training.  It's great that you have taken injury prevention into consideration with your training, but we also need to decide on which events you would like to do so we can adjust your training according.

I like sponges.  I hope that I'm able to provide lots of information to you and we can get your spounge nice and full of knowledge.  : )

When you have a chance, I'd like for you to really think about what your goals are for this season.  Training and motivation to can often start to go stale if you don't have a goal in mind.  If they're too aggressive for you, I'll let you know, but let's start there.

Thanks again Natasha.  I'm really looking forward to working with you.
2010-04-16 4:23 PM

Orlando, FL
Hey Colin, I'd love to join your group!

A little about me:

My name is Andrew and I'm a student at the University of Central Florida. I ran CC and track in high school, and have kept running since.  About a year ago I ran my first tri, and had a blast. I started cycling more, and have wanted to do more tris, but school always overtakes my time.

Thats why I decided to join here for some other motivation and help.

Also, what's great is my swimming is ABSOLUTELY my weak point, so I'd love to get some tips from you!

I've yet to set in stone any races yet, slightly due to financial concerns, but within the next few weeks I plan to sign up for at least one or two.

Anyway, I look forward to all this group is going to offer!!

Andrew
2010-04-16 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin
I would like to join your group and have you as a mentor...thanks for helping

A little about me:

My name is Tim user name shake-n-bake, I have enjoyed the aspect of tri training and looking forward to an olympic event mid-june with plans to do an HIM in Sept. I'm 38 years old and have been training for 20 weeks now,however had knee surgery in Feb. so that set me back some. Right now I'm able to still swim and push the bike rides, but having to ease myself back into the run.

Status: Married with two kids so I have to work training around family and work.

Weightloss: I thought getting into this type of training, that I would be able to drop some weight, however I'm still waiting for that to happen... I would like to lose 10-15 pounds current weight 185.

Goals: Now that the bug has hit, I want to finish my first race, then after several events look at picking up some speed, I love the swim and bike but the run bites me all the time, overall would like to improve in all 3 sports..

I log my training so check it out and I look forward to your advice.. Thanks for taking the time for the newbies...
2010-04-16 7:23 PM

Hey Colin,

My name is Jake Calvert and I would really like to join your group. A little info on me : 35 years old running about 15 miles a week, when weather permits I tri to ride 20-30 miles per week, my swimming sucks but I'm in a masters class at the Y and getting better. I started this adventure to lose weight and I'm down 25 pounds to date. I want to enter three races this year (sprints) june august and late september. I am totally stoked about the training and my competitive nature is driving me in the fast lane for a guy  who never worked out prior to nov 1 of last year now I cant get enough. My schedule is crazy at best so my training regularity needs help.

2010-04-16 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
MI

Hey Colin!  I would like to join your group!  I like that you are training for the longer distances- I'm currently training for a half-marathon, and I am entertaining the idea of completing a half-iron distance in September, so I would love to learn from you in that area!

This will be my first year of triathlons.  In terms of what sparked my triathlon interest- well, it was after watching the Ironman World Championships (how original! ) in high school, and at that time I did do an indoor triathlon, but haven't gotten around to doing an outdoor one.  (I'm 24 now.)  Pretty much every year I say I want to do a triathlon, but this year will be the year that is different and I will I do many! Laughing

So I guess I would say I come from a running background, although I haven't been consistent with it in recent years.  Speaking about now, I started running with a "plan" in February, and like I mentioned, am training for a half-marathon, which will be in June.  I've got a 5k in a couple of weeks, and I'm nervous because it's my first race in a looong time and I'm going in with expectations from myself!

As for triathlons, I'd like to do a handful of sprints this year (and maybe the half-iron in September.)  I'm still contemplating whether to make my first tri a week before my half-marathon- I'm getting anxious about doing one that I just want to do it asap!   I guess first question for you - what do you think about this, a sprint a week before a half-marathon?   I'm not sure how much a triathlon will take out of me.  I want to be fresh for the half-marathon first and foremost.

Okay, I think I've said enough for now!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit to add:  My name is Samantha, I realized I forgot to mention that.

Edited by michgirlsk 2010-04-16 8:47 PM
2010-04-16 9:21 PM

Hi Colin,

I would love to join your mentor group. I am in need of a mentor and hope  your group is not full yet!

Background: My name is Sarah, and I am a rising senior in college. I swam competitively since I was 8, and am now the assistant head coach for a year-round team, USA team, and  a local high school swim team. A few months ago, I decided that I really wanted to compete in a triathlon. Why? I am not sure I can tell you my exact reason. I like to run, LOVE to swim, and my brother has gotten in to cycling and talks about how great it is. I just have this strong need to try an exhilarating race such as a triathlon. I think it is something that will help me be a stronger person mentally and physically.

Racing and Training: I have researched and found a small, beginner triathlon in my area. I want to start off small and then start participating in larger races. I have been training for about 10 hours a week and that just consists of running and swimming. I am getting ready to start biking next week.

Race: My goal is to compete in the Springbrook Tri this year on Aug. 7th. The distances are a 400 swim, 8 mile bike, and 5K run. I feel that this is something that is within my range since I am VERY much a beginner.

Weightloss: I am not worried about losing weight.

I am looking for someone who is interested in helping me, and someone who will be understanding when I ask a whole bunch of crazy beginner questions! I hope I can be in your group!!

Thanks for being a mentor!
2010-04-16 11:01 PM

Hi Colin,

I'd like to join your mentor group.  I'm doing my first tri-sprint this summer with my daughter who is 15.

Short Bio:
I currently live in Tokyo.  I've always been pretty active but never been able to really push myself beyond keeping healthy.

I work full-time and have 2 kids at home so have a hectic schedule.  My husband is generally supportive but is not an active person (at all!) so he doesn't really get why I want to do this.

I'm really looking forward to any advice you can give!!

Thanks, Joni
2010-04-17 12:27 AM

User image

Hey Colin, I'd like to get into your group, if possible.

Name: Mark Gould, username is mdgould & I'm 39 (will be 40 this summer)....

Story: Kind of always wanted to do a Tri.  The Air Force makes me run anyway and I enjoy biking, so I figured I just needed to learn to swim better.  I never really played sports, but took up competitive shooting in the late 90s.  That's my primary sport, so I'm going to have to work Tri training in around shooting training and matches; and work, family, etc.  So, I think organizing effective training (esp swimming) is going to be the most difficult thing for me.  I mentioned doing a Tri to a couple of buddies at work and they're interested doing some races this summer too.  I figure we'll at least be able to keep on each other honest during training.

Status: Married 12 years, 2 boys (7 & 9), & 2 cats (Fuzzer and Squeaks).

Current Training: Mostly running and biking a few times a week.  Still working on learning to swim better, but the pool is generally closed by the time I get home.  However, I have been getting in some decent runs and a few bike rides after work.  I can probably work some training in at the office too.  Swimming is going to be the toughest thing for me though.

2010 Races: Want to do some sprints and have an eye on the Nations Tri (Oly) in DC.  I don't think bike or run would be too much of a problem, but the 1500m OW swim is scaring me off at this point.  I'm not looking for fast times, just want to finish for the first few.

Weightloss: Not an issue

Looking forward to it....

Take Care,
Mark

Edited by mdgould 2010-04-17 12:28 AM
2010-04-17 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2797220

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
drew2219 - 2010-04-16 5:23 PM Hey Colin, I'd love to join your group!

A little about me:

My name is Andrew and I'm a student at the University of Central Florida. I ran CC and track in high school, and have kept running since.  About a year ago I ran my first tri, and had a blast. I started cycling more, and have wanted to do more tris, but school always overtakes my time.

Thats why I decided to join here for some other motivation and help.

Also, what's great is my swimming is ABSOLUTELY my weak point, so I'd love to get some tips from you!

I've yet to set in stone any races yet, slightly due to financial concerns, but within the next few weeks I plan to sign up for at least one or two.

Anyway, I look forward to all this group is going to offer!!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the group!  I am very impressed that you're doing triathlons while you're still in school.  Your background looks great.  The strong running background should really help you.  As for your swimming, we'll work on it!  Is there a pool you can swim in at school?  Let me know if you have any specific questions about anything, but especially swimming.  If possible, could you have someone take a short video of you in the pool so I can take a look at your stroke?  That would be the best way for me to advise you.

As for your training, how much time would you like to commit per week?  When you have a chance, let me know what your schedule looks like and we'll get something going.

Thanks Andrew.  I look forward to hearing back from you.

2010-04-17 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2797426

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-04-16 7:15 PM Colin
I would like to join your group and have you as a mentor...thanks for helping

A little about me:

My name is Tim user name shake-n-bake, I have enjoyed the aspect of tri training and looking forward to an olympic event mid-june with plans to do an HIM in Sept. I'm 38 years old and have been training for 20 weeks now,however had knee surgery in Feb. so that set me back some. Right now I'm able to still swim and push the bike rides, but having to ease myself back into the run.

Status: Married with two kids so I have to work training around family and work.

Weightloss: I thought getting into this type of training, that I would be able to drop some weight, however I'm still waiting for that to happen... I would like to lose 10-15 pounds current weight 185.

Goals: Now that the bug has hit, I want to finish my first race, then after several events look at picking up some speed, I love the swim and bike but the run bites me all the time, overall would like to improve in all 3 sports..

I log my training so check it out and I look forward to your advice.. Thanks for taking the time for the newbies...

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the group and I love your username!  Smile

Very sorry to hear about the injury/having to have surgery.  You're doing the right thing by slowly getting back into running.  I'm sure that can't be easy on your knee.  Are you still doing any rehab on it?

I'm a little surprised to see that you haven't had any weight loss during your training.  My guess is you probably converted some fat into muscle and that helps explain the lack of weight loss as muscle does weigh more than fat.

As for your training, which training program are you currently using?  Your logs are looking pretty solid.  Due to the injury, it looks like we should really focus on your swimming and mainly cycling.  What type of bike do you have?

I'm really glad you've got the bug and I hope I can help you with that weight loss and improving your speed in all 3 events!

Thanks Tim!
2010-04-17 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2797522

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
JakeC3850 - 2010-04-16 8:23 PM Hey Colin,

My name is Jake Calvert and I would really like to join your group. A little info on me : 35 years old running about 15 miles a week, when weather permits I tri to ride 20-30 miles per week, my swimming sucks but I'm in a masters class at the Y and getting better. I started this adventure to lose weight and I'm down 25 pounds to date. I want to enter three races this year (sprints) june august and late september. I am totally stoked about the training and my competitive nature is driving me in the fast lane for a guy  who never worked out prior to nov 1 of last year now I cant get enough. My schedule is crazy at best so my training regularity needs help.

Hi there Jake!

I'd love to have you in the group.  Your story is truly inspirational to me and I'm sure to others!  That is terrific that you have lost 25 pounds to date!!!  Hopefully we can keep shedding the extra lbs if there any extras left to shed!  Smile

Well, it sounds like we should focus on your swim.  As I asked Andrew, do you have any specific questions about swimming?  Please let me know if you do.  Also, would it be possible for you to make a video of you swimming?  That would be the best way for me to advise you on your stroke.  It doesn't need to be with a fancy underwater camera or anything, but something from the side of the pool should be fine.

Let me know how much time you can commit per week to training if possible.  Day to day details would be great.  Once we have that figured out, hopefully we can a schedule of some sort going for you.

Thanks Jake and welcome!
2010-04-17 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2797599

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-04-16 9:42 PM

Hey Colin!  I would like to join your group!  I like that you are training for the longer distances- I'm currently training for a half-marathon, and I am entertaining the idea of completing a half-iron distance in September, so I would love to learn from you in that area!

This will be my first year of triathlons.  In terms of what sparked my triathlon interest- well, it was after watching the Ironman World Championships (how original! ) in high school, and at that time I did do an indoor triathlon, but haven't gotten around to doing an outdoor one.  (I'm 24 now.)  Pretty much every year I say I want to do a triathlon, but this year will be the year that is different and I will I do many! Laughing

So I guess I would say I come from a running background, although I haven't been consistent with it in recent years.  Speaking about now, I started running with a "plan" in February, and like I mentioned, am training for a half-marathon, which will be in June.  I've got a 5k in a couple of weeks, and I'm nervous because it's my first race in a looong time and I'm going in with expectations from myself!

As for triathlons, I'd like to do a handful of sprints this year (and maybe the half-iron in September.)  I'm still contemplating whether to make my first tri a week before my half-marathon- I'm getting anxious about doing one that I just want to do it asap!   I guess first question for you - what do you think about this, a sprint a week before a half-marathon?   I'm not sure how much a triathlon will take out of me.  I want to be fresh for the half-marathon first and foremost.

Okay, I think I've said enough for now!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit to add:  My name is Samantha, I realized I forgot to mention that.

Hey there Samantha!

Welcome to the group and the wonderful world of triathlons.  If you're anything like me, you'll really enjoy the variety in triathlons as opposed to focusing on one sport like running.  Nonetheless, that's terrific that you are doing a half marathon in June.

As for your question about doing a sprint tri before your half marathon, I'm a little torn on my response and my answer for now is it depends your current fitness level.  I will first say that it probably be a lot smarter to do a sprint triathlon the week before a half marathon than the other way around.  The pounding on your legs of a half marathon is going to take longer for your body to recover from than doing a sprint tri will.  If you stay up on your training, this is something you could do.  However, we also have to consider which one of the events an "A" or top priority race.  Is you want to be 100% for your half marathon, the tri the week before may not be a good idea.  However, if you are more concerned with just completing both of them, I think its definitely doable with proper training. 

I love your goals for the season and I think a half Ironman at the end of the season is definitely doable.  When I checked your logs, I was expecting to only see run workouts in there, but its great to see you are swimming and biking as well.  We should consider a run focused program for you.  That way we can still have you get your swimming and biking in, while focusing on getting ready for your half Ironman.

Let me know your thoughts on what I've discussed and we'll go from there.

Thanks Samantha, I look forwarded to working with you.
2010-04-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2797685

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
syoung - 2010-04-16 10:21 PM Hi Colin,

I would love to join your mentor group. I am in need of a mentor and hope  your group is not full yet!

Background: My name is Sarah, and I am a rising senior in college. I swam competitively since I was 8, and am now the assistant head coach for a year-round team, USA team, and  a local high school swim team. A few months ago, I decided that I really wanted to compete in a triathlon. Why? I am not sure I can tell you my exact reason. I like to run, LOVE to swim, and my brother has gotten in to cycling and talks about how great it is. I just have this strong need to try an exhilarating race such as a triathlon. I think it is something that will help me be a stronger person mentally and physically.

Racing and Training: I have researched and found a small, beginner triathlon in my area. I want to start off small and then start participating in larger races. I have been training for about 10 hours a week and that just consists of running and swimming. I am getting ready to start biking next week.

Race: My goal is to compete in the Springbrook Tri this year on Aug. 7th. The distances are a 400 swim, 8 mile bike, and 5K run. I feel that this is something that is within my range since I am VERY much a beginner.

Weightloss: I am not worried about losing weight.

I am looking for someone who is interested in helping me, and someone who will be understanding when I ask a whole bunch of crazy beginner questions! I hope I can be in your group!!

Thanks for being a mentor!

Hi there Sarah!

I'd be honored to have you join the group!  First off, we all have to be a little crazy to want to triathletes so there is no need for any of us to try to justify our insanity Smile

Your background looks great.  It would be great if you would help me in assisting the other group members with their swim questions.  I'm sure your incite would very helpful.  Kudos to your brother for getting you into cycling and I'm glad you enjoy running as well.

Your goal seems extremely doable and I'm hoping we can maybe get you to sign up for another triathlon this year after your terrific performance in your tri in August.  Smile

Bring on those questions!  I know everyone has a bunch of them and that's what I'm here for, so feel free to ask away!

I'm really glad to have you in the group Sarah.
2010-04-17 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Colin and other mentees!

My name is Sarah, user name sbright, 33, and I'd like to join this group to help me get ready for my first triathlon.

Story: I have absolutely no background in sports - hated them as a kid and barely made it through PE classes.  I was a professional dancer for several years but I don't know if that counts as a sport!  Anyway, after having my child, I couldn't go back to dancing full time so I joined a gym.  That was 10 years ago and since then I have earned an MS in Kinesiology, Exercise Science concentration and worked as a personal trainer for 7 years.  I did fitness/figure competitions a few years ago but never had any interest in endurance sports until I saw my (out-of-shape) husband finish the Chicago Marathon last year.  I believe there is nothing like a goal to get people moving so I started training for a half-marathon and have now indulged my (until recently) secret fantasy to be a triathlete!

Current Training:  Two swim sessions, two bike sessions, two running sessions, and two strength training sessions each week.  

Hours to Train:  Plenty - time management has become my specialty!  Full time job, family, rehearsal?  No problem...its all about the schedule book.     

2010 Races:  Aug 1 - Rock n Roll Half Marathon, Chicago.  Aug 28 - Chicago Triathlon Sprint, a few other small races along the way.

Weightloss:  No thank you!

I'm looking forward to working with everyone.  Thanks!

Sarah

2010-04-17 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2797822

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
jedwards001 - 2010-04-17 12:01 AM Hi Colin,

I'd like to join your mentor group.  I'm doing my first tri-sprint this summer with my daughter who is 15.

Short Bio:
I currently live in Tokyo.  I've always been pretty active but never been able to really push myself beyond keeping healthy.

I work full-time and have 2 kids at home so have a hectic schedule.  My husband is generally supportive but is not an active person (at all!) so he doesn't really get why I want to do this.

I'm really looking forward to any advice you can give!!

Thanks, Joni

Hi there Joni,

Welcome to the group and I hope you are enjoying life in Tokyo!

That is wonderful that you are doing your first tri this year and really cool that you will be doing it with your 15 year old daughter!  I did 2 triathlons with my Dad last year and I've got him planning to do 5 triathlons this year at the age of 58.  I also have a few woman in my swim class that have done tri's with their kids and they all rave about how wonderful of an experience it is.

I give all the credit in the world to you triathletes out there with full time jobs and kids.  I honestly don't know how you do it!  With that said, it is very important that we get some structure in your training.  This should help with daily scheduling and help you with getting your workouts in.  When is your triathlon?  Do you have any strengths or weaknesses as far as the 3 disciplines go?

Get back to me with that information when you have a chance and we can go from there.

Thanks Joni!
2010-04-17 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2797872

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
mdgould - 2010-04-17 1:27 AM

Hey Colin, I'd like to get into your group, if possible.

Name: Mark Gould, username is mdgould & I'm 39 (will be 40 this summer)....

Story: Kind of always wanted to do a Tri.  The Air Force makes me run anyway and I enjoy biking, so I figured I just needed to learn to swim better.  I never really played sports, but took up competitive shooting in the late 90s.  That's my primary sport, so I'm going to have to work Tri training in around shooting training and matches; and work, family, etc.  So, I think organizing effective training (esp swimming) is going to be the most difficult thing for me.  I mentioned doing a Tri to a couple of buddies at work and they're interested doing some races this summer too.  I figure we'll at least be able to keep on each other honest during training.

Status: Married 12 years, 2 boys (7 & 9), & 2 cats (Fuzzer and Squeaks).

Current Training: Mostly running and biking a few times a week.  Still working on learning to swim better, but the pool is generally closed by the time I get home.  However, I have been getting in some decent runs and a few bike rides after work.  I can probably work some training in at the office too.  Swimming is going to be the toughest thing for me though.

2010 Races: Want to do some sprints and have an eye on the Nations Tri (Oly) in DC.  I don't think bike or run would be too much of a problem, but the 1500m OW swim is scaring me off at this point.  I'm not looking for fast times, just want to finish for the first few.

Weightloss: Not an issue

Looking forward to it....

Take Care,
Mark

Hey Mark!

Welcome to the group.  So you're into competitive shooting huh?  Very cool!  I don't know much about it, but I'd be interested to learn more about it.  We might as well put that running the Air Force is making you do to good use Smile.  That's great that some of your buddies are interested as well.  A lot of people find it extremely helpful to do their training in groups.

Do you think you'll able to figure a way to get in the pool at least 2 times, possibly 3 times a week?  That would be really helpful in improving your swim.  Also, would it be possible for us to set aside some time each day for training?  It sounds like you've already got a pretty busy schedule, but as I mentioned to the others, a structured training schedule would probably work well for you.  If you could get back to me with more details on this, we should be able to get something going for you.

I like your goals.  I've heard great things about the Nations tri and that would be a great event to shoot for (no pun intended Smile).  What are the dates of the other events you're looking at?

Thanks for joining mark.  I'm looking forward to having you in the group.

2010-04-17 11:23 AM

Orlando, FL
Colin-

I currently swim at a local aquatic facility, and have been trying to get at least 2 per week, but feel I should possibly consider increasing it to 3 since this is my weak area.

I'll definitely work on getting someone to video me soon here. But to speak a little about what I currently do at the pool, I just get in and swim lol. I don't tend to do much besides swim a few 500yd sets, so I'm sure I need to change that up, I've just found it hard to attempt to discipline myself with structured workouts since I can't really critique them or tell if I'm even spending my time wisely.

So, in regards to questions for you about swimming, I guess it would be this: I've read online and seen a lot of different choices for workouts, but I'd like to know what you believe would benefit me the most. I simply want to improve my swim for tris, and do it in the quickest and most efficient fashion.

As for training time per week, there is an interesting answer to that. Finals for school are in 2 weeks, so typically, it gets quite hectic, and training absolutely takes a back burner. But that aside, I'd really like to train around 10 hrs a week, but with the summer coming up, I have no opposition to increasing that, if you think it'd be wise. I'm currently trying to do 2/2/2, but like I said, I can increase the swim to 3, and keep or increase the others as well.

Thanks so much for your decision to help all of us out, I'm really looking forward to it! 

Oh, and one more thing, I currently use SportTracks to log all my workouts, but I just uploaded my recent workouts just with distance and time in case you want to get a feel for what I'm doing.

Everyone else- 

I'm glad to see everyone else signing up for this group. I'm excited to have some extra peer motivation and look forward to"training" with yall!!

Andrew
2010-04-17 11:44 AM

User image

Hello, Colin!
I hope there's still room in your Mentor Group for one more.   My name is Frank; BT screen name TdG717.  

After a couple years of wishing/wanting to do a tri, I decided to make it happen this year.   So, I'm newbie with lots of questions.   Background: I started running about 10 years ago after 20 years of smoking.   Last November, I did the New York Marathon (my 7th marathon) so I do enjoy running.   Love the bike and love cycling.  Swimming...yeah, I could use some help there.   But I'm sticking with it and just wanting to understand and learn more there.

Frank
2010-04-17 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2798213

User image

Expert
MI

Hi again Colin!

First of all, I am happy to hear your encouragement about a half-ironman in September!  I actually wasn't sure if it would be a bit too much to aim for.  I've been thinking long and hard about it recently because there's a $20 price increase after 4/30, so I'm thinking about whether or not I want to register soon!  I am really leaning towards registering though...

The half-marathon (on 6/6) is definitely a priority... but so is getting in my first tri!  haha!  Otherwise, if I don't do the 5/29 one, my first tri would be on 6/23, and honestly, that just seems sooo far away.   In addition, I'm thinking about sprints on 7/21 and 8/18.  These three are a series put on by our local running store, and they give $30 vouchers if you volunteer at their events.  I've volunteered at a few of their running events now, so I'm hoping to be able to use the vouchers for their triathlons as well.  If so, that'd be three tri's for $75, how can I pass that up!

Now, to let you know about my current training, I will try to explain what I've been doing:

Running.  I'm pretty much following the FIRST training program: http://www.furman.edu/first/Half%20Marathon%20Training%20Program%20-%20metric.pdf so basically three "key" workouts.  I liked it in the beginning because quite honestly, I liked the idea of running less, haha.  But now I'm feeling like I want to run more, so I may add in an extra run, at half the distance of the week's long run.  So, this means about 4 runs a week.  I use McMillan's running calculator to determine my pacing.

Swimming. Like Andrew, I pretty much just get in the pool and swim.  haha.  In the beginning I was also doing interval workouts (I looked at some triathlon training plans), but honestly... I don't think I like intervals... (which I find to be a bit strange since it's the opposite with running- I love interval workouts!)  Drills, the same thing... the thought of them just bores me LOL.  So most recently, I have just been doing continuous swims, bilateral breathing.  I've been gradually increasing the length of my swims.  But, at 2:25/100m, I know I'm slow.  Honestly I don't think my form is that bad, but obviously something isn't right!  And, I do realize intervals and drills help, soooo at some point, I will be willing to do them.   I aim to swim at least 3 times a week.

Biking.  ahhh, the biking!  I believe this will be my weak spot... I'm slow at swimming, but I feel comfortable being able to go the distance.  The biking, I'm in the process of trying to slowly build up.  I was on the stationary bike during the cold winter months (well, February onwards), and ramped up too quickly apparently.  I started experiencing knee aggravation.   So now that I've shifted to outside biking with the weather being nicer, I'm just trying to take it slowly and ease into it, hoping the knee aggravation does not come back!  As of now I'm doing 5 mile rides.  I am thinking about building up one "longer" ride like 3-5 miles more than the previous week.  What is the baseline for increasing long rides?  Honestly, I am just very worried about getting injured!  I am aiming for 3 rides a week.

Also, I incorporate a "recovery week" every 4th week, and this is a drastic cutback. This is more of a mental thing than anything I think.  My paranoia of getting injured (I've had overuse running injuries in the past) has me thinking that I should play it really safe during this week.

Oh, and I lift weights like 2 times a week because I like it.  I have read there is no concrete evidence that points to strength training helping triathletes, but that doesn't really bother me.

This is where I'm at right now, and I hope to keep at it!

Thanks again for your time Colin!

And as a group I hope we'll be able to benefit from each other, it seems like we've got an assortment of backgrounds!

2010-04-17 2:44 PM

Woodstock

Hello Colin,

Name:  My name is Russ, and my username is GA Tri(er).

Story:  Last November (2009), I learned a former co-worker completed in the Hawaii Ironman which cemented in my mind that I wanted to compete in a triathlon.  I knew it would be a LONG time before I was ready to do an ironman distance, but after reading about the sprint distance, I felt like I could get ready for that and compete later this fall (maybe sooner).  I played baseball and soccer growing up and continued with baseball through high school.  I began mountain biking in college, and eventually stopped that due to moving, job, etc.  I'm ready for a new challenge and to get back into shape (although I don't really need to lose any weight).

Status:  I'm married (just celebrated our 8th anniversary last week) with two kids - daughter 5 and son 3.

Current Training: I began running in January (treadmill at work), but with tax season starting up (I'm a CPA.) and bronchitis mid-February, I haven't done anything since getting sick.  Now that tax season is over, I'm ready.

2010 Races:  I'm trying to talk my brother and a friend into doing a sprint tri during Labor day weekend or the first weekend in October.  I have nothing else planned.

Weight Loss:  5 or 10 pounds at most; I'm mainly looking to get fit "internally."

Additional Comments:  Even though I haven't ridden a bike in many years, and only recently started running, I'm not too concerned with those portions of the tri.  Swimming is my concern, and I think your experience is exactly what I need, Colin.  While I can swim, I'm definitely not great at it and probably tire out well before anyone else might.  I haven't done any swimming in years and have certainly never done any competitive swimming, so I have no idea what to expect.  I look forward to your suggestions, and I hope you still have room in your group.

Thanks,
Russ
2010-04-17 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2798011

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin
I just finished my last rehab session on 4/15/2009, they recommended that I run 1 to 1.5 miles then walk a quarter to half a mile to build back up to it. No restrictions on swimming or cycling, my current bike is a Cannondale Six, I love the bike it has been great thus far, I did a little over 36 miles today for a charity ride, then I ran 2 miles to the pool,swam 1733 yards and ran 2 miles back, total time for this was 3 hours 22 minutes. I maintain a 17mph average on the bike on a very hilly course.

Training Plan: I've been doing the Oly. 20 week program with 2x in s/b/r each week. This plan ends nest week..So I need to continue with something...

Race Plans... I plan on doing an OLY. tri on June 15th,2010...maybe a HIM in September??

Overall Colin I feel good and the tri aspect of training fits my personality well, I'm very motivated, but being human I do get disappointed when I don't see any results..(weightloss). Also I do strength training 3 times a week  with a lot of variety..I look forward to working with you.. By the way if you need to see my food log I have been using Livestrong to track my foods..

thanks for your help....

2010-04-17 8:46 PM

Hello,

Name:  Chris out of San Diego, love the weather out here.

Story:  After 8 years in the Marine Corps, I kind of let myself go fitness wise.  With work and school I did not think I had time to really think about fitness.  Well about a year ago and 70 lbs, I decided to join and MMA style gym.  I had a martial arts background in the military and as a Krav Maga instructor.  So, I joined with my wife.  After nearly dying my first session I was hooked.  The gym got me going Yoga (the best thing that I have done), kettlebells, BJJ, boxing, crossfit, etc.  So, at Christmas I decided I wanted to train for competitive Muay Thai fighting.  My wife had signed up for some mud runs, bike races and duathlons for the year.  After going to her first race in Feb.  we decided to do a Sprint Triathlon.  Well, I had been running a little maybe 1.5 miles and there was a 5k three weeks away and I signed up and did ok and three weeks later, I did a 10K.  I know not the smartest training schedule, buy my Muay Thai training, had me in good shape.  So, after the 5K and 10K we decided that we were going to do several more races and a Half Marathon in Sept.  The Sprint Tri is in Aug. 

After my wife duathlon, I decided that  I could not keep up with her on our rides with my MTN bike so I go a road bike with cleats and clipless pedals, and since then I have enjoyed biking so much.

Status: Married< no kids.  We have friends and family with kids if we ever get the itch.  HAHA

Current Training:  Everything,  Muaythai 5 times a week, Yoga 3 to 4 times a weeks, kettlebells 3 times a week.  Bike at least 12 miles  twice a week, starting up up mileage (we have a 37 mile ride coming up in May), Run 2-3 miles a week, at least 4 miles each time, swim, (probably my weakest point) I will start seriously training in about two weeks for all three.  But, I was a Water Survival Instructor in the Marine Corps, but I have never really learned how to swim.  I do have a wetsuit, (brand new from my in-laws so that is nice) I have done the occasional OWS, which I really enjoy more than pool swimming. 

Last Race Season: None only gym and Muay Thai training.

2010 Races- Devil Dog 5k (30:52), Mission Eco 10K (1:14) got lost, 37 Mile bike ride, 10 k Mud Run, Cinco de Mayo 10K, July 9 miler, Camp Pendleton Sprint Tri, Camp Pendleton Half Mary, MCRD Boot Camp challenge.  I am sure there are more, but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Weightloss: Since losing about 70lbs 220 from 288, it is not that much a concern however, it is part of training.  Realistically I will probably be happy at around 200 lbs.

What will make me a good men-tee:  I immerse myself into something that I enjoy, I do not do anything halfa$$, so I encourage the criticism, even if it makes me upset.  No one is harder than I am on myself, ask my Muay Thai Instructor.  I will also being helping my wife train (she has put me in charge, she is scared to death of OWS, so this should  be fun).  Any help will be help.

Thanks

Chris
2010-04-18 9:40 AM

New user

Hey Colin, got any room?

Name:  My name is Hans Tregear, username is htregear.

Story:  I've always had a passion for competition and wanted to be a bodybuilder. I'm sure your already questioning why I am doing this haha. After two years of training with some light cardio, I decided to go on a long distance run and ran a 5K in 20 minutes. The time itself isn't too great, but for someone who had not ran in 2 years, I was pretty surprised by it. I realized that I had never lost my cross country speed and that I was an endurance athlete all along. It explained why my body struggled to change to the fast twitch muscles and to grow into a bodybuilder. So I did a 180, changed my diet and started training for a triathlon. I have always had a coach when I've trained, so right now i'm pretty lost. I'm sure I'm over training with swimming and running every morning and biking when I get a chance in the evening after work. I hope you have the time to help me!

Status:  I am single.  I work at a medical center doing pharmacology/toxicology research and plan to attend med school by 2011.

Current Training:  I just swim and run as much as i possibly can in two hours every morning. I still lift weights as much as I can, but I'm sure I need some serious guidance on what to do to improve my triathlon shape.

Weightloss:  I am currently not trying to lose any weight.

Why I would be easy to train: I ran XC and track all of high school. I have a real passion for distance running. Swimming is something I've always enjoyed just never competed in. I have always dreamed of doing triathlons, specifically sprint tri's but never had the opportunity to get the training down and didn't have a bike. My brother upgraded bikes so I now have his "old" 08 Cervelo P2C. I am incredibly motivated to train and be given instruction as to how to improve my training. The hardest part for me in all of this is over-training. I have a tendency to over-do over-kill things. I'm sure running a minimum of 5K as fast and hard as I can every morning and swimming 1200-2000 meters per morning is hurt me in the long run. Plus the weight training every other night. And biking here and there. So as a mentor, I would be incredibly easy to coach because the motivation, drive and eagerness to compete is there. 

Edited by htregear 2010-04-18 9:45 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24