General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Atkins fans? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-05 10:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: Any Atkins fans?
Spwaned from the article on the article on the home page, i was wondering if there was anyone out there who used the whole Atkins craze as part of thier training/nutrition? I've always been pretty against cutting carbs in my diet, probably due to my long history of carb loading and endless pasta dinners before races, but none-the-less, i've always wondered if there was any athletes (or even wanna-be's) out there who stuck w/ the atkins thing as well as put in some significant amount of training.

2004-05-05 10:41 PM
in reply to: #23189

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Any Atkins fans?
I think there was a few here but I don't remember who they were.  I have no idea how I could do without carbs.  One, I like to have some energy.  Second I like my occasional beer without having to think how many calories/carbs I am drinking. I like bread, potatos ect....  I was also a member of the pasta before a game routine and it seemed to work.  Old habits die hard I guess.  I watch what I eat to a degree, no more fast food for lunch, but I will occassionally eat it when traveling.  I eat breakfast now, which I never really did but then I am not one who needed or wanted to lose a lot of weight so my situation is different from others.  I definately eat more and I like that. 
2004-05-06 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
I've written about Atkins in other places - but generally believe that it is not a good way to live. I did lose a fair amount of weight years ago on a lo carb / hi protein diet - it all eventually came back and it didn't work when I got into running. (Body wants carbs - its favorite energy source) Check this link out:  http://www.atkinsdietalert.org/
2004-05-06 11:04 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
I had my husband on Atkins because he is a couch potato. Lost 11 lbs since January, now putting him back on a balanced protein, carbs, etc. life style. Since the weather is breaking, he will now have to walk after supper every night. I don't like Atkins, I've seen a lot of people on it and the weight goes up and down like a yo yo. You can't live on it, but it can jump start your system, especially for a couch potato like my husband.

I really believe that if you exercise, eat healthy most of the time, that you will loose weight and build muscle. I do not weigh myself often, I keep track by the fit of my clothes. Training for tri's really shocked my body. It was used to the running and some swimming, but now I can really see and feel the difference.

I love this life style.

Evelyn

Edited by evrunning 2004-05-06 11:05 PM
2004-05-07 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shiloh Illinois
I lost 45lbs on atkins a 3 years ago, but I satrted exercsing and "fighting" my obesity back at every chance. It propably wasnt smart for a 11 yr old to do, but it worked and I have kept the weight off for 3 years now. Atkins combined with training for a tri does not work for me, but you can loose a lot of weight if you come off it carefully.
2004-05-07 1:03 PM

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
any biochemist will say that atkins diet is not good for the body if it is maintained for a long period of time. people are not aware to many medical hazards that high protein/low to zero carb diet contain.
i think that this kind of diets are not good to people that are doing sport intensively, it does not make sense no to eat carbohydrates which are a basic part of the human diet.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Atkins fans? Rss Feed