General Discussion Race Reports! » Sacramento International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sacramento International Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Sacramento, California
United States
UpDog Sports
Total Time = 2h 15m 20s
Overall Rank = 130/163
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 21/33
Pre-race routine:

Didn't have much of a routine. I kinda lolly-gagged my way into this event. Ran into some friendly's we know.
Event warmup:

Just a short dip in the port to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 26m 2s
  • 1320 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wasn't too nervous before the start cause I've done this one other time, except this mornings swim leg was three times as long as the last one. When I started to swim things went downhill very quickly. I felt panicked and my breathing got very irradic and I began swallowing water. Then the "oh my god what was I thinking- I can't swim that well-how will I ever make it" thoughts began. I looked around me and realized that everyone had left me in the dust and it was me and a couple other stragglers and the canoes. It was such a demoralizing sight and I just wanted to cry. I don't know what got into me. Why was I having a panic attack? So then I just did whatever it took to continue forward until I felt calm and comfortable to swim again. I was actually amused when I was doggy paddling as fast as the person next to me doing free-style and it made me feel better cause there was someone who swam as bad as me. So then I just took it two strokes at a time till I got to the first bouy. Then my goal just became making it to the next bouy, so I did about 8-10 strokes at a time. Another man and I kept bumping into eachother which was also amusing since we weren't in a pack of any kind. So I just kept struggling along until I finally finished. My hubby and daughter were waiting for me up at the ramp. He said he was worried about me cause I was out there so long and having such a hard time. He asked me if I cramped up or something and I said no. I was just pretending I knew how to swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice in open water as much as posible. I feel totally fine in the pool, but when you throw in murky water and choppiness I get freaked. Some swim lessons wouldn't hurt either. Actually, I really, really need swim lessons.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

So I hobbled the long long long way to T1 from the boat ramp at the port. It was rocky and a little painful in barefeet, but it was actually like Christmas compared to the swim I had just done. I had a hard time getting the suit off the timing chip ankle. I also kept pulling the tighting strap off the helmet and having to re-attach it.

Check my helmet the morning of the race in case the little one messes with it and changes my fit settings.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 17s
  • 16 miles
  • 13.86 mile/hr
Comments:

So I kept slipping trying to clip into the pedals, but again, I didn't care cause I made it through the swim. I was happy to be on the bike and that's when the race got fun for me. Then the wind hit. Holy geez, it was like pedaling into a wall. I was going at it with all my might and was only going 9mph!! And the wind just didn't let up for the longest time, until we hit a turn-around point and it stopped. I got my speed up to 20 mph, which is fast for me. Turn down another street, the wind comes back. It was a doozy, but I trucked on. I felt a funny crampy pain on the inside of my left thigh and was hoping it wouldn't effect my run. What a strange place for a cramp. I think it has to do with me not being comfortable on my saddle and I shift my weight to alieviate the discomfort. By the way, I got passed by a million Olympic distance folks who blazed past me like I was a dead skunk on the road.

Really need a new saddle. Maybe oil my chain too.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

So dear hubby was waiting right next to my transition spot to take pictures of me and I was just not in the mood for that kind of distraction so I banished him. I feel bad now. Anywho, not much else to tell. Oh yeah, I got lost exiting the transition area and started running the wrong way. I'm sure the event people were wondering who this crazy poser of a triathlete I was.

Watch where the other folks are running.
Run
  • 40m
  • 4 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot out there! But I was finally excited to do the event that I'm ok at. The run is pretty much the only leg that I do the passing. So, that's what I did. All though I was so far at the back of the pack starting off that there weren't too many folks to pass but the ones that were there I did. So there.

Carry a tiny water bottle with me cause it was really hot and I could have used just a little more hydration.
Post race
Warm down:

A nice long tinkle followed by a bunch of licorice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't do the mental preparation for this race that I did for my first tri. It made a difference. I thought too highly of my abilities and just didn't prepare my mental pre-game and strategy very well. So while I was racing I had to really encourage myself to keep going and stick it out despite my rocky start.

Event comments:

At first I had a poor impression of the organizers of the event. The one course map they had was pretty vague, bad driving directions to the event, only two people doing body markings for a 3 event race. Then the announcer got on the loud speaker and said to forget about the body marking, we came here to race not stand in line, yadda yadda. So I realized that this is a super low-key casual but fun group. They were pretty amusing to listen to on the loud speaker. I will do another race from this group, but be prepared to bring my own post race food (it was gone when I got there).

Last updated: 2007-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:02 | 1320 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/163
Performance: Bad
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Triangular course in the port of Sacramento. I could smell gasoline in the water. Yuckaroo.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:09:17 | 16 miles | 13.86 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Past a big tractor in the middle of the trail (weird) then over some train tracks, then on to the smoothly paved streets of industrial never never land.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:40:00 | 04 miles | 10m  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: A mix of dirt roads and road around the port.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-04-29 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Subject: Sacramento International Triathlon

2007-04-30 10:45 AM
in reply to: #780885

User image

Regular
Northern California
Subject: RE: Sacramento International Triathlon
Great Job, everyone has had a race like that its great that you finished and still enjoyed yourself. Learn from mistakes made and keep training because there is always improvements to be made even for those realy fast Olympic racers of which I also watch in awe. One idea for the swim depending apon were you live is Lake Natomas. Cold but a very calm lake with no motors allowed on boats. great place to swim in open water.
Keep Up the Good Work
2007-04-30 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Keep your chin up Gina. With all of the things you've been dealing with I think you did great! Now you have some motivation to get out there and nail the next one!
2007-04-30 10:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA
Way to stick it out and get it done....I had the same opinion of the organizers but had no basis to compare since it was my first triathlon....I'm doing the Pleasanton tri-4-fun #1 in June so if you are around we should have a BT gathering.  I know Joebowler is going to be there so that will be at least 3 BTers.
2007-05-01 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Way to go!! It sounds like you nailed the swim. with a sub 2min/100yds pace. You are a strong doggy paddler to keep up with those free-stylers!!
2007-06-02 8:46 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
somehow I missed this race report way back when (oh yeah, I was in the middle of our office move), but after reading your UVAS South Bay tri report and then this one, I can see how much progress you've made with your training and racing.  With all the problems and fears, you already found that it gets better.  Great job Gina!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sacramento International Triathlon Rss Feed