BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-12-21 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Subject: Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed
When:  Definitely now

Name: cbarnes1 - Chet

Story:  I am 38 and have been running and doing tri's for about 5 years.  I was unhappy with my fitness and found that racing gave me something to work for.  It has truly been a lifestyle change.  My wife also runs and is doing her first full marathon in February.  We often have to be creative juggling work, family (5 and 7 year old), and training.  My strongest discipline is running and weakest is the bike.  I plan on many more years of racing and avoiding injury is my main focus.

Training:  I am currently training to re-qualify for Boston and building my tri base for March and April Oly's.  My New Year's resolution is to be better about logging my workouts. 

Races:  In 2011 I plan to run 3 marathons, 1 70.3, 2 Oly's, and a Sprint or two.  I also plan to sign up for my second Ironman this year.

Weight Loss:  I have maintained a healthy weight the last few years but still struggle with nutrition.  I believe in moderation and have been known to have a beer or two with friends.

Why be a Mentor?  I was part of one of the great mentor groups on this site and met some funny, talented and interesting people.  The different perspectives and insight have been inspiring.  I hope to bring a similar energy to this group.  Everyone has something to offer and I believe these mentor groups can be very beneficial in meeting your triathlon goals.  I will be very responsive to questions and the group.  I hope to have a successful 2011!

Edited by cbarnes1 2010-12-25 9:25 AM

2010-12-23 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3256537

User image

Regular
Henderson
Subject: RE: Chet's Mentor Group - Open
Hi Chet, I live in Henderson too and have been looking here to get signed up for a mentor group.  I am going to be doing my first TRI in April.  Iron Girl.  I'd like to join your group.  Will have to write my BIO later as I am at work right now.

Talk to ya soon,
Sheila
2010-12-23 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
That's great Sheila!  Welcome aboard.  I have a few friends that have done that race and they loved it.  It is a great pick for your first tri.  
2010-12-23 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Chet. I would like to join the mentor group. I am getting my plan together at present and putting my races together.

Name: StrayDog- Jeff

Story: I am 45 y/o. One wife, 4 kids. Two in college, one in highschool and one in middle school. One black lab. I started racing last year. I completed my first two tri's last year and it was great...and I am back to it. My body is beat up but I can still go at it as a mid packer.

Training: I will pick a plan by the 29th. I will race at least two tri's this year and complete at least 5 runs of different distances this year. Possibly more, I need to nail down my training goals and then my plan.

Races: Mt. Shasta Tin Man, Granite Man in Applegate Lake, OR., Cascade Lakes relay 216.6mi. and the Whiskey Town Relay 20mi.  for sure.

Weight Loss: Here is the real goal! I want to get down to competitive weight so I can compete competitively next year. I want to get down to 153lbs. I have lost a total of 42lbs and now weigh 172 now. I only gained 10-11lbs for the off season, wha hoo!

2010-12-23 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Welcome Jeff, glad to have you! 

Congratulations on the weight loss and keeping it off (the hard part).  I look forward to the group getting started, thanks for joining.
2010-12-23 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Chet,
I'd love to join your group please.
I have done a small numbrer of tris (injury seems to plague me just when I start to see some improvements!) - I have done a handful of enticer distance events and earlier this year I did an Olympic Distance.
I have also done some Half Marathons and short distance running events.
I have another fun tri coming up in 4 weeks - Triathlon Pink - it is an Australian fundraiser for breast cancer and then in Feb a women's only Sprint Distance event. It is the tri season here now with plenty of events on but I'm sticking to these ones for this year (I think) as I have a lot of commitments in my other sport to juggle.
Goals this next year is to balance my tri-training with my other training as I train in Taekwondo as well.

Edited by mmh 2010-12-23 7:11 PM

2010-12-23 8:05 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Hey Michelle, nice of you to join us.  We are waiting to get the group filled up a bit then we will get into it.  Bringing your experience from taekwondo into the group will be helpful too.  Two areas I have been working on are flexibility and balance.  I am sure you have some experience with that.  
2010-12-23 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I do
I am actually a personal trainer as well and have been for close to 20 years so any questions you think I can help with just shoot.
Thanks for having me. 
2010-12-23 8:21 PM

Regular
Keller, TX
Hi Chet,

Count me in if ya'll have room.

Short story, 38, married 16 yrs, 2 kids. Was really in to tris until 2008 happened. Laid off 2x, commuted between DFW and Denver for 6mos, then moved the fam up there. Denver was not what worked for everyone so now back in DFW in March of 2010. Trying to keep the employment picture steady at the moment, but things are stable and crazy enough that I need to start training again. (I need the outlet).

Biggest challenge for me will be juggling training, 2 jobs, 2 kids, and my wife.

Steve
2010-12-23 9:05 PM

New user

Hi Chet,

I am so excited that my friend Sheila pointed me in the direction of this Triathlete Mentor Program.  I too live here in Henderson and have always wanted to do a triathlon. I have had 3 children in the last 5 years and am turning 42 in April so I figured now or never!!! I am hoping you still have room for me in the group too!!! I work out at the gym 3-5 days a week (lots of spin classes) and started running 6 miles every Thursday. I would LOVE your wisdom and guidance!!! I haven't checked out the website much but I will!!!  Excited!!!!

Daneen

Edited by bettyboop013 2010-12-23 9:07 PM
2010-12-23 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Welcome to the group Steve!  Glad to hear you are getting back in the mix, totally worth the juggle.

2010-12-24 12:10 AM
in reply to: #3260032

User image

Expert
Noosa
Hi, room for one more?!

My name is David, I'm 43, married with 3 kids (12,9 and 7) and live in Queensland, Australia - just outside Noosa.

I've always been interested in sport but used to stick to sprint type sports like rugby and squash when I was younger.
Started running when I turned 40 and did my first half marathon (Gold Coast) this year.
I also swim and do the occasional ocean swim and I'm a surf lifesaver at Noosa.

I got myself a road bike in September and I've entered the Hervey Bay Tri (Olympic) 1st May 2011 and the Caloundra Tri 6 Feb 2011 so now I've got to get into a proper training regime!

My knees are a bit dodgy from old rugby injuries so I'm finding the crosstraining benefits of tri training to be great.

Anyway, looking forward to training with you all!

Cheers, David
2010-12-24 5:11 AM

User image

Amsterdam
Name: grrlrunner (Mel)

Story: Hi!  I'm a 32 year old female living in Vancouver, Canada.  Here's my background:  I've primarily been a runner for the last ~4 years.   I was pretty far along in 2008:  I ran the Amsterdam Marathon in Fall 2008 (in ~4.5 hours).   I dabbled in triathlon, and finished 1 sprint and 1 OD tri that same year.  However, my swim training was derailed by multiple shoulder dislocations (not during swimming -- other accidents), and I have been a bit afraid of swimming since then.  (My shoulder is still unstable..   it's noticeable when swimming.   But I am hoping that some PT and exercise can rehabilitate it again.)  As for cycling:  I am enthusistic -- but not a racer.   I've commuted by bike for years -- and I even went on a 3-month long (~6300 mile) bicycle camping trip on a fully loaded touring bike in the summer of 2009.   But I'm not fast -- and I have NO cycle racing experience.  As for my fitness:  In 2010, I focused on completing a multi-day walking event (4x50km); it was fun and challenging, but didn't really help my overall fitness any.  That coupled with a severe ankle sprain minimized my running in 2010 -- so I've got a LOT of work to do to get back into racing shape!   Making matters more complicated..    I just moved from Europe to North America..   I'm not fully settled in one location yet (my job is in flux, and most of my possessions are still in storage overseas).   Which means that I need to somehow find a racing bike and swimming pool.   But..  this is all the more reason why I would like to choose some concrete goals, and try to get my triathlon training back on track.

Training: My goals are conservative -- I want to lose some weight, strengthen my shoulder (so I can swim confidently again), and get back in the swing of regular triathlon training again.   For this reason, I don't anticipate being able to finish anything larger than an Olympic Distance triathlon in 2011.  (I'll save the larger ambitions for 2012, after I make it through 2011 successfully.)

Races: None planned yet.   But I envision scheduling some single-event races (running/cycling), a few sprint tris, and 1 OD race.

Weight Loss:  Due to lack of training and past injuries, I am currently ~25 pounds overweight.   With my 5'5 frame, I'm currently approx. 170 pounds -- and I've been 145 pounds at my lightest.    If I can reach 150ish pounds again, I'd be happy.

Why Be A Mentee:  Due to moving (change of career, location, etc..) my life is in flux, and I feel like I don't have much focus at the moment.  I really want to establish some firm athletic goals -- and I think that having a mentor group to be accountable to would really help me to find that discipline and direction again.   Additionally, I want to take concrete steps towards rehabilitating my shoulder -- because the whole thing (even after 2 years) still worries me, and I would really like to swim with confidence again.

Thanks!!!
2010-12-24 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

Howdy!  Suzi here...chiming in :=)

Looking to make 2011 the year of the triathlon.  Hoping to complete several sprint/oly distance events. Along with some long distance cycling events.  My passion is cycling. Running is my nemesis.  I do believe that me & running would get along much better if I could conquer the extra baggage on my body (which is on the forefront for '11).  I did complete two 1/2 marathons this year (Little Rock & Las Vegas) and while that has been the "bucke list" accomplishment of the year,  my ulitmate"bucket list" item will add 1.2 miles of swimming & 56 miles of cycling in front of the 13.1 mile run.  Soooo......those are my '11 & '12 goals.

I am a 44 years old (racing in the 45-49 age group in '11). Married to a wonderful man (who is highly supportive of my fitness antics) and we have a 7 year old son. I work full time for the State of Missouri (Division of Youth Services...serving delinquent youth and their families)and teach Sociology at the college level for fun. I love my family, my  jobs and my life.  Fitting triathlon training into it all is a mega puzzle but training for the 1/2 marathons this year set a nice standard.  Hitting the Y at 4:30am became normal. I am a positive person by nature and can always find the positive side of ANY coin. Some people refer to that as polyanna thinking....I prefer to see it as a CHOICE on what I focus on.

I used BT alot in '06 when I did my first (and only) triathlon and found the support, ideas and motivation here to be phenomenal.  I am looking forward to this mentor group, given the accptance by the mentor.   

Merry Christmas to ALL!

2010-12-24 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Great to have you David, Mel and Suzi!  It sounds like this is going to be a diverse group which is fantastic.  
2010-12-24 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
So to get started I suggest getting that "A" race picked out.  I race 8-10 races a year but really have only 2 "A" races.  The last couple years I have broken it up as an "A" marathon in the spring and an "A" triathlon in the fall.  The other races are just to make the year fun.

Next would be to find a training plan.  I have used many of the plans on this sight and they have been very effective.  I like that that are customizable and that they have many different fitness levels.  When picking a plan, really look at your schedule and how the workouts fit. Examples for me are: My schedule changes regularly and I have had to change my workout times accordingly.  I find that I cannot role out of bed and run but love to swim.  My long bikes have to be on the weekends but prefer my long runs during the week.  If you know your available training time, it will help when plugging in the plan.

I am off for a run this morning, hope you all can get out there today.

2010-12-24 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Hey Daneen, your in!  It's great to have some locals.  My wife is on the fence for Irongirl and almost did it last year.  She has heard it was a positive fun race and if there was one to do, that would be it.  
2010-12-24 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
2010-12-24 4:27 PM

Hi All,
Hope there is room for me.
True beginner.  Married 18 years w/ 16 yo son and 9 yo daughter.  Whole family is active and I am the couch potato until now.  Will be taking a loa from work to focus on family and training for 1st tri.
Goal is Wmsbg Patriot Sprint on 9-11-11.
Interested in any tips for a first timer.  Hoping to avoid injury and lose some weight in the process.
2010-12-24 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3260166

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi David,
I'm a fellow Aussie living in Victoria
Hope you are coping with the rain ok where you are.

Should have also mentioned I'm married and have 2 kids 15 & 12.

Edited by mmh 2010-12-24 4:34 PM
2010-12-24 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Welcome Mel (it is Mel?).  Yo have plenty of time to reach your goal.  Take a look at the training plans on this site.  They have some "couch to sprint" programs that will really help you get started right.  The group will be helpful with any questions you have along the way.  Good Luck.

2010-12-24 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3260825

I'd like to join..

NAME: Marc

STORY: Have been doing tris for two seasons now.  The first season I just did a sprint while last year I did two Olympics and a few other sprints.  My goals this year are to focus on the bike first and then the run.  My swim is half-way decent but I'm extremely slow on the bike and quite slow on the run.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two sons, Peter (6) and Eric (4).

CURRENT TRAINING:
I was in a steady state of training up until about 3 weeks ago.  Was getting in 2 swim workouts, 3 run workouts and 4 bike workouts per week (I wasn't good about logging them).  I then broke my right index finger trying to fix a squeak in my treadmill and haven't trained since.  Have 3 temporary pins sticking out of my finger right now.  Am hoping to start training again next week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010): Couple of sprints, Illinois Half-Marathon, Bigfoot (Olympic), Chicago (Olympic)

2011 RACES:
  TBD but I'm hoping to do the Chicago Marathon. 

WEIGHTLOSS: At a comfortable weight.

2010-12-24 6:17 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Hello Marc, welcome aboard.  It sounds like you have a good start despite the finger (ouch).  It shouldn't take you long to get back in the swing of things.  
2010-12-24 10:38 PM

User image

New user

Hoping to join the group as well. I am new to Triathlon with only 2 sprints under my belt. I live in Southern California so I have time and generally good weather to train. 

Name - Robert (kacerrob)

Story - I am 43, married with two girls (6 and 3) and ran my last marathon the month before my oldest daughter was born. With work and family, training had taken a back seat until last year when I trained for a local mountain bike race called the Counting Coup. Getting back into shape was a blast with all the group training including some epic night rides. Having the support of others training for the same race was motivating.

Much of my training came on a road bike. I never have been a swimmer and the thought of swimming a mile scares me. With 6 weeks of swim lessons i was able to finish the 1/2 mile ocean swim in the Pacific Coast Triathlon and look to improving my stroke.  

Training - I plan on getting in running shape to complete a half marathon the first week of February. I look at that as base miles to start my training for the Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance in May. Since my swim is the weakest I hope to find a masters group that is willing to take on a newbie. 

Races -  Wildflower Tri - Counting Coup (April) and if I get in Leadville 100. 

Weight Loss - My weakness is food. Currently, I am 205 and when I was running marathons I would drop to around 185 - 190. This year I plan to watch my portion control and maintain my training.

I do get up to the Vegas area regularly for work and could meet up for a run when in town. Chet, looks like we have the same issues and could use the support.

Edited by kacerrob 2010-12-24 10:40 PM
2010-12-24 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Welcome Robert.  It sounds like you have done some great races!  I am a snail on the mountain bike but am having fun and find it has helped my power and balance on the road bike a ton.  

I have a group of friends that have done Leadville the last few years.  The elevation chart on that race looks insane!  At what elevation?  Crazy.

Definitely up for a run when you get to town.  I look forward to training with you the next few months. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  

of 28