General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What tri to do next? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-22 5:37 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
Subject: What tri to do next?

My folks are giving me a great present for my 31st Bday. They'll pay my entrance to any local tri race. So, now I've got to decide, what tri to do next?

I prefer longer swims (compartively) if possible, and occasional rolling hills and NO WIND for bike rides, and running on flat dirt (rather than pavement downhills). I live in Saline, and prefer something close, but for one good race the wife and I might make a special couples weekend out of it if the locale is romantic or nice. 

Any suggestions? All the information and schedules have too much information and I don't know where to begin. 

2008-08-22 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1620508

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: RE: What tri to do next?
what distance are you looking for- sprint? Oly? HIM?  You've still got quite a lot to choose from... I did a sprint with my mom for my 31st a month ago  Its a great way to celebrate.  
2008-08-23 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1620943

User image

Ann Arbor

I like longer swims compared to the other disciplines, so anything with a longer (comparitive) swim is best for me. I've done two tris, and one was an Oly, and the other a Sprint. I think I prefer the Oly, but shorter runs and longer swims would be even better.

If everything is pretty much the same comparitive distances, then I guess and Oly is best for me. Any suggestions on an Oly with an easier run, rollers on the bike w/ little wind, and a longer swim? Heck, at this rate I'm so hooked I might just take any Oly that peeps say is run well and is somewhere either 1) close to Ann Arbor or 2) an affordable romantic get-a-way. 

2008-08-23 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
Well, you'll have to choose what is remaining on the race calendar for the '08 seasons as we gear up for '09 already.

There is Reed's Lake, a great race. There is already a thread on this forum about the race. There is the Niles Triathlon on the 30th with an Olympic and a sprint.

There are actually four triathlons in Michigan this weekend: X-Terra blackhawk in Montague, Michigan , The Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon in Ludington, Michigan, MI-COPS (law enforcement only) in Bloomingdale, Michigan, the Blue Water Triathlon at the Blue Water bridge near Port Huron and the Island Lake Triathlon in Brighton, Michigan.

On August 31st there is the Mark Mellon Triathlon up north, a classic with a tough, hilly bike course and the Prairie View Triathlon in Vicksburg along with the Grand Marais Triathlon in Grand Marais, Michigan.

There are a bunch more races in the firt half of September then the calendar slowly starts to go international and you'd need a plane ticket for that!
2008-08-23 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longer swim and shorter run is going to be a challenging combination.....

DISCLAIMER: I grew up on Barron Lake in Niles (the swim start is right next door to the house I grew up in), so I'm just a little biased......

If you don't have plans Labor Day weekend, Niles is a great "grass roots" kind of race. Challenging/fun (but not obscene) bike and run courses (sorry, no off road...). Unless the wind is obscene, the swim will be benign and the water ought to be plenty warm.

Reeds Lake is also a fun race, but much bigger crowds (~1100 vs. ~300ish).

Let me know if you end up doing Niles, I'll see you there!
2008-08-23 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1623395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Forgot to respond to your quest for a romantic getaway.....There are some very nice, quaint B&B's along the lakeshore up towards St. Joe (~40 minutes north of Niles).

2008-08-26 9:36 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What tri to do next? Rss Feed