General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower cost alternative to Trek Lexa SLX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-08 11:34 PM

Subject: Lower cost alternative to Trek Lexa SLX

I am a marathoner looking to get into triathlons. My goal is to someday compete in an Ironman! As for the remainder of this year, I plan to race in a couple sprint and maybe an olympic distance triathlon. With that being said, I went to a bike shop last weekend to get fitted for a road bike. Now, I don't know that much about bikes. I won a Trek 1000 about 7 years ago through work and rode that quite a few times. At the bike shop last weekend, I tested out a 50 cm Trek Lexa SLX. WOW! What a great bike all around! I really only have my old Trek 1000 to compare it to and it was a night and day difference. While I love the bike, the price is a little too steep for my budget right now! Can anyone recommend something comparable to the Trek Lexa SLX that may be a little more inexpensive? I like the fact that the SLX has the carbon components. Super excited about getting into this sport! Hopefully, next weekend I can say that I have competed in my first triathlon.......that is if I can get a bike by then......Thanks for any and all of your help!

Amanda

2011-07-09 3:47 AM
in reply to: #3587723

Subject: RE: Lower cost alternative to Trek Lexa SLX

Has your old Trek been tuned up lately?  I would bet that a full tune up (possibly overhaul) and some new tires would go a long way.  The other possibilty since you mentioned winning it is that the Lexa fits you a lot better.  If you think this is the case, you might look at the standard Lexa model for about $700.  You tested the top of the line in the Lexa range (SLX), but the standard Lexa would be an equally fine choice and save you about $500.   

Edit to add one more thing...the Lexa SLX is priced where it is because it has an aluminum frame, a carbon fork and Shimano 105 components.  Any other bike with similar features will in all likelyhood have an msrp within $100 of the Trek.

Edited by rexcoltrain 2011-07-09 3:49 AM
2011-07-10 1:22 AM
in reply to: #3587767

Thanks for the advice and information! Unfortunately, with regard to my old Trek 1000...I sold it before we moved to California about 2 years ago! So, I am in the market for a new road bike. Today I went to a bike shop that sold Cannondale, Look, and Felt. The guy who helped me was EXTREMELY informative! He had me try out a Cannondale CAAD 10. I believe it was around $1400. Personally, I didn't really care for it at all. I thought it was a little stiff and uncomfortable. Then I realized too that the Trek Lexa models are made for women.....maybe that is why I found it more comfortable!

On one hand, I want to hurry up and buy a bike. On the other hand, I feel as though I should be looking and comparing and testing out a bunch of different makes and models before I make a decision! Does anyone recommend a bike for a weekend warrior who would like to compete in a few sprint and maybe olympic distance triathlons this year? I am really liking the Trek Lexa SLX compact! However, there are a few other Lexa models that are about $500 cheaper.....without the carbon components as mentioned above. Will I really be able to tell the difference between an aluminum bike with carbon components vs. an aluminum bike without?

2011-07-10 3:29 AM
in reply to: #3588691

The bike you looked has a carbon fork (not carbon components as mentioned).  It's primary purpose is to dampen some of the vibration from the road.  It will be slightly lighter but not to the point you will notice.  People ride just fine on forks made from steel, aluminum and lots of other materials.  It's hardly a reason to spend the extra $$$ for sprint and olympic tri's.

It is very possible you liked the Lexa because it is a WSD bike.  Lots of brands have similar lines.  Specialized has the Dolce, Cannondale has a WSD synapse and Felt has the ZW series.  Be advised that the entry point for many of the bike lines you at shops will be around $800.  For a good bike at a knowledgable shop it's money well spent if you think you may be at this a while.  No harm in waiting for the perfect buy.

2011-07-10 10:03 AM

User image

Pro

I'd say that for a fairly new rider- you've got an excellent sense of what might work for you.  That Cannondale CAAD 10 is exactly how you described it.  Much stiffer- less comfortable.  Of course- a lot of cyclists love that snappy feel to a bike (different strokes for different folks).  Sounds like you fit on a women's style frame- as women tend to have longer legs and shorter torso's then men do- so as noted above, many manufacturers make frames specifically for people like you.  Look for them.

As for cheaper- well, the Trek Lexa is already a lower cost entry level race bike.  Other brands might come up $100 cheaper for a good aluminum frame, carbon fork, shimano 105 equipped bike- or you might find something on sale- but my guess is that anything short of that level of bike... you'll notice the difference and won't like it.

Is the carbon framed Madone worth that much more?  Maybe.  The Madone's are great frames, with an excellent balance of comfort, stiffness and weight.  It all depends on how much you appreciate those subtle differences.  All shops will be happy to let you test ride the bikes.  Let your butt and your wallet decide- but it sounds like you're looking at the right products in the right price range for you.

2011-07-13 8:09 PM

Just saw a commercial for this on the TdF coverage...Lexa is on sale.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/big_deal/#bikes

2011-07-13 11:24 PM
in reply to: #3595483

Hey Thanks! I appreciate the heads up! I wonder if it is on all of the LEXA models? Actually, I am leaning towards the LEXA SLX. The 2012 model should be coming out any day now.....to the bike shops.

There is a sprint tri this weekend that I really want to do. Soooo.....I am going to put road tires on my trek mountain bike and give it a go! HAHAHA! I figure, it is my first triathlon. This is totally going to be a learning experience! I just want to get a baseline and see where my strengths and weaknesses are at this point. Then, when I get my road bike, I can be a little more competitive!

Thanks again,

Amanda

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower cost alternative to Trek Lexa SLX Rss Feed