United States
Active
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 6s
Overall Rank = 167/377
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/16
Pre-race routine:

Had a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with a banana. Had a lot of water the day before and some pasta for dinner the night before.
Event warmup:

Stretched for about 5 min and got in the water 10 min prior to event start. I was not wearing a wet suit so I wanted to get the shock over with (that was the best peice of advice I recieved).
Swim
  • 13m 24s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I couldn't get my breathing down. Did my comfort side stroke most of the way. Only did 150 meeters of Freestyle.
What would you do differently?:

Swim!!!!!
Transition 1
  • 05m 3s
Comments:

Took a little time to catch my breath before getting my bike shoes on. The water bottles worked well for washing the sand off my feet. It went really fast. didn't run because of the shoes I was wearing. They kept slipping so I walked the long 500 yds to the exit of the transition.

work on relaxing as I enter transition. Needed a minute to catch my breath. Get walking/bike shoes. It was nice to have clip in shoes but they were not made for running or walking.
Bike
  • 32m 14s
  • 15 kms
  • 27.92 km/hr
Comments:

Pushed pretty hard. took the gel at the right times but at the wrong places on the course. I took a gel right after the turn around so I would have time to digest it before the run. Only problem is I was climbing at the time.

Take the gel on even ground and push harder on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Thought this one went really well. it took me about a minute and a half to get to my rack from the entrance. then it was quick getting my shoes and belt on.

Not change my shirt. Take more care in getting off the bike. One of the shoes came unclipped and I had to stop and pick it up. Carried it as I ran back to my rack.
Run
  • 25m 41s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 08s  min/km
Comments:

Felt ok in the begining. My legs were not that sore. Settled in and ran ok. Thought I ran a fairly good time.

remember my sunglasses.
Post race
Warm down:

stetched for a few minutes and walked around. Had a recovery drink with some protien.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim and transitions.

Last updated: 2005-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:24 | 500 meters | 02m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 234/377
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Went out then left and down the beach and back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:03
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:14 | 15 kms | 27.92 km/hr
Overall: 116/377
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Up Linded to Carpinteria (flat), to HWY 150 (uphill) over highway 101 left to. Two somewhat chalenging hills one on the way to hwy 150 and the other after the turn around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:41 | 05 kms | 05m 08s  min/km
Overall: 165/377
Performance: Good
Course: Start on Palm ave then a right on 8th. Over the bridge and through the residential streets of Carpinteria. One decent hill then out to carpinteria ave and back to Palm.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-28 8:17 PM

User image

Simi Valley
Subject: 8th annual Carpenteria Triathalon

2005-09-28 8:47 PM
in reply to: #255804

User image

Expert
Portland,OR
Subject: RE: 8th annual Carpenteria Triathalon

Hey Dave,

Good job on the run.  I think you were one of the many bastards that passed me!!!  Your bike was decent too and the swim wasn't that bad!!  You beat me by 4 minutes!  I hate you and everything you stand for!  Good luck on improving that swim, I know we all could use some help there.  We should get ChrisM to tutor us, he swims like a fish.

2005-09-29 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California

Dave,

Great job.  So are you hooked?  That is the question after everyone's first race.  If you are, warn the wife because it get expensive fast.  Again, Great Job and we have to set-up some time to workout on the road.  After the fires are gone at least.

Jason

2005-09-29 6:03 PM

User image

Simi Valley
I have to say that I will be doing another one next year. I am going to hit the weights a little first. Let's definitely do a ride in the next few weeks. Once the smoke clears. Where in Simi are you? I am safe from flames but the smoke is getting bad. I am on the corner of LA and Madera behind the post office.

Dave
2005-10-01 3:40 AM
in reply to: #256551

User image

Expert
Portland,OR

Dave/Jason,

I work either at our Moorpark Station (on Flinn) or at our Simi West Station (4th and Royal).  I'd love to join you guys for a ride sometime. 

2005-10-03 6:17 PM
in reply to: #257445

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California

Now that the smoke has cleared out, I am up for a ride.  Wed, Friday or during the weekend.

Let me know,

Jason

2005-10-03 6:18 PM
in reply to: #256551

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California

help_im_drowning - 2005-09-29 4:03 PM I have to say that I will be doing another one next year. I am going to hit the weights a little first. Let's definitely do a ride in the next few weeks. Once the smoke clears. Where in Simi are you? I am safe from flames but the smoke is getting bad. I am on the corner of LA and Madera behind the post office. Dave

Sorry I didn't get back to you, I am up on First near Cochran, no fire worries, but the smoke bring me back to 2003.

Jason

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 8th annual Carpenteria Triathalon Rss Feed