General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NEED POINTERS ON SWIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-19 9:55 AM

New user

ORLANDO, FLORIDA`
Subject: NEED POINTERS ON SWIM
I JUST COMPLETED MY FIRST TRI IN TRI-CENTRAL (CLERMONT FLA) AND IT FELT GREAT.. I AM A VERY STRONG SWIMMER BUT WAS THROWN FOR A LOOP WHEN I SWAM IN A LAKE FOR THE FIRST TIME. IT WAS CHOPPY AND I GOT SLAPPED IN THE FACE SEVERAL TIMES BY THE CHOP AND FELT LIKE I SWALLOWED 5 GALLONS.
ARE THERE ANY POINTERS ANYONE HERE CAN GIVE ME ON HOW TO PREPAIR MYSELF FOR LAKE, AND EVEN OCEAN SWIMS (OTHER THAN JUST GOING AND SWIMMING IN A LAKE OR OCEAN)?
I AM NOT CLOSE ENOUGH TO EITHER VENUE TO TRAIN THERE REGULARLY.
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

2004-04-19 10:00 AM
in reply to: #20005

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: NEED POINTERS ON SWIM
I know you just said other then swim in a lake or ocean, but that is the best way. You don't have to do it regularly, once every other week or so will help. I do most of my swimming year round in the pool, but in the summer I try to get to the lake once a week or so.
2004-04-19 10:10 AM
in reply to: #20008

New user

ORLANDO, FLORIDA`
I ACTUALY KNOW DEEP DOWN THAT IS WHAT IT WILL TAKE. LUCKILY I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND WILL HAVE THE ABILITY TO GET TO THE OCEAN BEFORE MY NEXT RACE WHICH IS THE CRYSTAL RIVER TRI AT THE END OF MAY.

THANKS
2004-05-06 2:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Owen
Have you tried breathing on both sides? This may help if there is someone creating major waves on one side of you.

Mindy
2004-05-06 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Woogy,
Open water swimming is a lot different from pool swimming. I came from a competitve swimming background and had to change my stroke quite a bit to become a decent open water swimmer.
It takes a much longer stroke to get through chop and currents.
Start by counting your strokes when you swim. Get an idea of what your typical stroke count range is for 1 length, and work on lowering that. You should focus on hip rotation and hand extension rather than a faster kick.

Check out my website and free email newsletter for more tips and practice ideas!

Good luck,
Kevin
2004-05-06 12:14 PM

New user

ORLANDO, FLORIDA`
THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE.
SINCE MY ORIGINAL POSTING, I HAVE SWAM ONCE MORE IN OPEN WATER AND DID MUCH BETTER BY BREATHING ON ONE SIDE. AWAY FROM THE CHOP OF THE WATER.
I AM A RATHER TALL PERSON (6'4") AND HAVE ALWAYS WORKED ON LONG ARM EXTENSION AND SLOW STROKES RATHER THAN SHORT CHOPPY ONES. I CREDIT THIS WITH FAST TIMES CONSISTANTLY. I HAVE ALSO WORKED ON HIP ROTATION AND BEING ABLE TO GET MORE OF MY HEAD OUT OF THE WATER WHEN BRATHING.
THIS HAS HELPED TREMENDOUSLY. I NOW RARELY INHALE WATER.
I AM PLANNING A COUPLE TRAINING SWIMS IN THE GULF OVER THE NEXT TWO WEEKENDS AND I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.
MY NEXT RACE IS AT THE CRYSTAL RIVER TRI HERE IN FLA ON THE WEST COAST.
IF ANY OF YOU WILL BE THERE, I HOPE TO SEE YOU AND GOOD LUCK

2004-05-06 3:12 PM
in reply to: #23313

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Hi Woogy:

Do you know that on the internet, all caps means that you're shouting? It's a little distracting.

Anyway, good luck with your swimming. I'm still working on calming down enough in open water to swim my best.

Carrie
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NEED POINTERS ON SWIM Rss Feed