General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast sellout IM registration ...specifically IMNYC (or should I say NJ) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-20 2:49 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Fast sellout IM registration ...specifically IMNYC (or should I say NJ)

I realize I am asking this question early, but I suppose most of you understand the importance of early planning especially when it comes to preparing for an IM.

For several reasons I am interested in the 2013 IMNYC , assuming there will be one in 2013 lol

As we know it sold out in approx. 9 minutes, and I am concerned that even if I get online right at 12PM that I could get blocked out....so my question is for those that have registered or got rejected online for IMNYC2012 were you trying right at 12pm to get registered and kept getting rejected until they said sold out or did you try to get registered several minutes later to find out it was sold out.

I  ask because I am wondering how seriously I need to have a Plan B for my first IM or if I should be pretty comfortable if I am right at my computer on the day after the race, with credit card in hand I should get in.

I guess if I volunteer I would not have to worry, but that may be easier said than done this year

any thought on registering for this race or anyone have any good bad stories when they tried to register for an IM and either got in or lost out due to a sell out

thanks

Edited by FELTGood 2011-12-20 2:49 PM

2011-12-20 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3946457

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Fast sellout IM registration ...specifically IMNYC (or should I say NJ)
Would you consider a Foundation slot?  You will probably have a lot more than 9 minutes to snag one of those.
2011-12-20 2:57 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Fast sellout IM registration ...specifically IMNYC (or should I say NJ)

On the races that sell out quickly in less than 30' some folks that start right when it opens don't get in.

One issue that occurs is you start the registration and there are many blanks to fill in on multiple pages, and if you don't respond correctly it highlights in red and you need to fix that entry. Most questions are easy, but some are like tell us something interesting about yourself?  There are probably 5-8 questions that take a bit of thought but most folks just add a space or put 1 letter in the box so Active.com allows you to move on to the next page.

So you make it through all the data fields and get to the payment page, enter your credit card number, and website stalls for a long time. Do you wait? Refresh? Or what? At that point you may click pay, and you will get a screen that pops up saying general registration is no longer open.

Other issue that happens is server gets jammed up and you can't get in to start registration process, or it stalls between pages you need to fill out then bounces you out to start again.

Last IM I signed up for was IMLP and it took me over 35 minutes to complete my registration and I had my husband trying at different location as well.

Best way to make sure you to get in, is show up day after race and register on site if that is an option. IMKY does not do registration on site for example. Other option is to try and if you don't get in just do community fund slot or book thru a travel agency that does entry and travel as a combination.

2011-12-20 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3946463

User image

Elite

japarker24 - 2011-12-20 3:50 PM Would you consider a Foundation slot?  You will probably have a lot more than 9 minutes to snag one of those.

Yes that will be an option if I get rejected, as you probably could tell I live very close to this race site so if worse came to worse I would still be saving money considering travel etc by securing a Foundation spot, but would like to save the several hundreds of dollars by registering normally

Thanks KAthyG for your explanation!

2011-12-20 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran

yeah i cant understand how they sell out so fast they said it sold out in 5min in the new melbourne race here in austarlia when it takes much longer then that to fill it out .

i hear alot of people have multi pages open as its hard to just get in . then just fill out name and address and credit card and put one letter in other spots to get in quick . then just come back later and update info to fill out the rest

2011-12-20 4:16 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
It seems that Active and/or Ironman have gotten their system to the point where it is no longer a battle to even get a response from the server, and thus you keep getting bounced out. It is pretty much however fast you can type and get your form completed correctly dictates your chances of getting in. Starting as soon as it opens is the best way to achieve that. IMNY opened online 4 or 5 minutes earlier than the scheduled time this year.

That being said, I suspect it will be nearly impossible to get into IMNYC via online registration from here on out. This year, every slot was available online because it was a new race, and it sold out in ~10 minutes. Assuming this race sticks to the usual IM policy, that will never be the case again. Next year, I wouldn't be surprised if almost all, if not all, of the slots went to the 2012 participants and volunteers, and nothing was left to go online. The only thing that might change that is if they seriously jack up the race fee even more, which is always a possibility.

If you really want to do IMNYC in 2013, I suggest you volunteer, it might be the only viable way to get in beside charity and foundation slots.

2011-12-20 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3946648

User image

Champion
the colony texas

It was also a first year race.. many people will sign up the first year that might not otherwise. Plus right after registration they announced the IM up in Canada,Next year that will siphon off some people.     I'm not saying it will be like IMTX where it sold out very quickly in year one, then stayed open for months in year two.. 

But you never know what might happen.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast sellout IM registration ...specifically IMNYC (or should I say NJ) Rss Feed