BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2011-01-04 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now
NAME: thndrcloud/Allison
STORY: I did my first triathlon in 2009 as motivation to exercise and lose weight. Although I had been working out at the gym for 4 months before starting a 12 week training plan I only managed to lose 3lbs and was terrified to do the race. By the time I stumbled into my husband's arms at the finish line of that sprint I was in tears. I was so proud and amazed that my flabby, weak body had done something so impossible that I was hooked. Since then I've continued doing triathlon as well as running races and distance biking for charity.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with three kids who are 13, 7, and 2
CURRENT TRAINING: My fall was spent focusing on the run, December was strictly maintenance and I'm now sticking with the bike and swim while waiting for a broken toe and Achilles issue to heal up.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2010 I had planned to move up to Olympic distance and possibly do a HIM in the fall, but due to a move I ended up doing a couple sprints,countless 5ks and ending my season with a late fall half marathon.
2011 RACES: Galena Triathlon - May, Diabetes Charity Century - June, Pleasant Prairie Olympic - June, Racine 70.3 - July, Chicago Olympic Triathlon - August, and ending the season with a half or possibly full marathon in the fall
WEIGHTLOSS: Since becoming a triathlete I have lost more than 30lbs and am now focusing on swapping fat for muscle without worrying about what the scale says.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I love triathlon and after converting every willing person I know, and being asked to stop evangelizing to those who aren't willing, I'm looking for fresh faces with whom I can share my love and addiction

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now
NAME: blackledge/Ryan
STORY: I started triathlons in 2009 with the sprint distances. I was having a hard time finding the motivation to go to the gym so I decided I needed a goal.  My friend encouraged me to race a triathlon with him. He ended up dropping the training but I was already addicted and continued to see it through.  I did even more races in 2010 with mostly sprints and one Olympic.  Ultimately I would like to step up to the half-iron distance and hopefully an full triathlon in the future.  My father was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2009 and I have since joined TeamFox. They are a great organization to help raise money for and they even send you a free dri-fit shirt for signing up.  I am still working with TeamFox and am actually working with them to start making tri gear (bike jerseys, tri tops, etc) which will hopefully be out this year.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with a daughter on the way (due on March 2011) 
CURRENT TRAINING:  I have been focusing on swimming quite a bit this winter so far.  My wife got me a bike trainer for Christmas so I'll be using that a lot when the baby is born.
THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I ran a handful of 5ks and a few 10ks as well.  I did 3 sprint distance tris (all in 1 month!) and 1 Olympic in 2010. 
2011 RACES:   I currently do not have any races scheduled. I figured the baby will dictate a lot of my life and I want to be there for her and for my wife during this time. But I am sure I'll sign up for at least 1 or 2 later in the summer.
WEIGHTLOSS I'm not sure how much. I have always been rather slender but I did notice that I dropped a pant size. I am working on toning up more than focusing on weight loss.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I love doing triathlons and I love watching and supporting others.  I love meeting new people to train with and become friends with as well. This site has allowed me to meet quite a few new friends and I have even raced with some of them already.  I won't be able to go full force this year due to the new baby in the family so mentoring will allow me to still stay very involved in the triathlon lifestyle. I was in a mentor group in 2010 and it helped me so much not only in tris but in life too.
Mentoring will allow me to live vicariously through other triathletes in 2011

Edited by blackledge 2011-04-08 10:48 AM

2011-01-12 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3276373

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN
ADDITION TO ALLISON'S PROFILE:

I did my first triathlon in 2009 as motivation to exercise and lose weight. Although I had been working out at the gym for 4 months before starting a 12 week training plan I only managed to lose 3lbs and was terrified to do the race. By the time I stumbled into my husband's arms at the finish line of that sprint I was in tears. I was so proud and amazed that my flabby, weak body had done something so impossible that I was hooked.
During the off season I got diagnosed with ADHD and between meds and coping strategies I was finally able to create enough structure to start training consistently and control my diet. With all that going for me (and a new road bike to replace my hybrid) I was able to lose 30lbs and drop 34 minutes off my time when I raced the same course again. That time moved me from a solid BOP finisher right up to the FOP.
My weakest leg is the run so that's where my focus has been. Between April and October I knocked 4 minutes off my 5k PR and am shooting to drop another 2 minutes this year. Part of my strategy includes running longer and as part of that, and in prep for my HIM, I ran my first half marathon in November. An Achilles injury at the end of October derailed my training but I managed to run the entire race, pain free, and only missed my goal time by 1 minute.

ADDITION TO MY PROFILE:
And I have been pressured by my past mentor group to add the small fact that for two years in a row I have had the 2nd fastest run time in the Chicago sprint triathlon (out of approx 2300 racers). I still don't know how that actually happened haha. Now I just need to better my bike and swim times...details details  But my biggest accomplishment last year was knocking 9 minutes off of my time in the Vermilion Sprint Tri in 2010 (when compared to similar racing conditions in 2009).

Oh and we both happen to be from Chicago but you don't need to be to sign up for our group. We actually met each other through a mentor group in 2010 and both happened to live in Chicago and we met up for a 5k and a triathlon last year to race together. 
Ideally we would like beginners and those who want to focus on shorter distances (sprints & Olympics) as we don't have any official long distance races under our belts yet but we're training for them!
2011-04-07 10:02 AM

User image

New user
NW Indiana

Hi folks....let me be the first to raise my hand to join. I'm not in Chicago, but NW Indiana is close by. A little about myself.....I'm a soon to be 48 year old married guy. I have one son still at home and one attending Indiana in Bloomington and two children grown and on their own. While I've always been active, I was never what I would consider an athlete. Over the years I put on some lbs, as many people do. Last summer my college student son convinced my to join him on some bike rides. I was soon hooked. I rode as often as possible....did some organized rides but no races. As we moved into the fall, I started looking for some new challenges. I began to do some running and then decided I was going to do a tri. So.....since about mid December I have been working to get in condition for a couple sprints this summer. I am registered for my first, The Warsaw Optimist club Sprint in June. I will probably do the Chicago tri as well. I did my first 5k in Feb (29:18) and will be doing a few more as the spring unfolds. I have lost about 40 lbs since August og 2010 and feel great. While I'm still a long way from where I want to be, performance wise, I'm also a long way from where I started. My first run I was unable to complete one lap around the local park (.3 mile)....I now do 4-5 miles regularly and am slowly working that distance up. Swimming, like many, is where I have my biggest challenge. While I learned how not to drown as a child, I never learned any real swimming. I have been working at my local gym for a couple months now. I have progressed from not being able to swim a single length without stopping to being able to go 6-8 laps, but I still have a LONG way to go in swimming. So....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dan

Edited by SFD156 2011-04-07 10:04 AM
2011-04-07 10:18 AM

User image

New user

Hi everybody,

I'm Lamar Thompson, a 44 yr male in the Bahamas, and just getting into the groove of this.

I was a swimmer in high school, never did any running but was always a fast walker. I part of cycling club here, just getting back on the bike after a year. One year ago I collapsed, and after testing I was diagnosed with NCS, which is nuerocardiogenic syncope. I pass out if certain conditions are met. But once diagnosed the medication is now a full time thing.

The good thing is that it  now allows to do something I couldn't stand in the past.....running. I started the couch to 5k last month, and running for the first time,AWESOME !!

I'm ready to join,2nd I think...Lets do this !!!

2011-04-07 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Hello all! I am new to the sport of Tri at 41 years of age. I am an avid runner and do bike as well. I haven't swam much since I was a kid so there is that fear as I have already signed up for my first Sprint which happens in August. So having a mentor to give me advice on swimming and keeping me motivated is something I look forward to. Sign me up!!
2011-04-07 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3434133

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Welcome Dan.  No worries that you are not in Chicago and you're right (Indiana is close enough haha).  That's great that you want to get back into shape (tris will certainly help you do that). And congrats on the weight loss....that's awesome.  It sounds like you already have a good 5k time since you're under 30 minutes.

2011-04-07 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3434153

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Welcome Lamar.  I am jealous of you living in such nice, warm weather that you can train outside all year long. It is finally warming up here in Chicago so I have gotten a year outdoor workouts in this month.

You sound very motivated which is great...just be warned that triathons can be quite addicting

2011-04-07 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3434227

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

huntnjerm - 2011-04-07 10:47 AM Hello all! I am new to the sport of Tri at 41 years of age. I am an avid runner and do bike as well. I haven't swam much since I was a kid so there is that fear as I have already signed up for my first Sprint which happens in August. So having a mentor to give me advice on swimming and keeping me motivated is something I look forward to. Sign me up!!

Welcome to the site Jeremy.  It seems as though most people dread the swim but you will be just fine. It just takes time and patience but you will get there with practice and training.

2011-04-07 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Wow you guys are speedy in signing up to a mentor group! I joined one last year and it was so helpful. I actually met Allison through our mentor group and we did a race together last year.

My wife just recently gave birth to our first child so my training is slacking a bit as the lack of sleep is catching up to me but I am excited to lead this group with Allison and hopefully we can all help each other out for the next few months +

2011-04-07 10:28 PM

Veteran
Indiana

I'd like to join if you still have room.

I'm 45 years old, live in Central Indiana with my wife and 2 kids (2 and 5 yo). I've never done a tri before. I'm signed up for a sprint in June and planning an Oly in August.

I used to be very overweight - my highest was 298. I've lost about 70 lbs from there. My weight loss journey included a fair amount of treadmill running and what I call "family cycling" - commuting around town, pulling the kids in a trailer. I started doing spin classes in the Winter to maintain my cycling legs, and one of the spin classes at our Y is led by the triathlon coach, who inspired me to try triathlon. I just started swimming lessons in October, but it's my favorite form of exercise now. I have a great swim teacher, also at the Y.

My goals for the Summer are participating, learning, and having fun. Competing is not terribly important to me. If I had to choose just one peak accomplishment for my triathlon career, I'd rather finish an Ironman at the back of the pack than a podium finish in a shorter event. I just really enjoy that feeling of being in a groove and going for longer and longer distances.

At this point I am not following a set training plan. My plan is based on what feels good to me and what I can fit into my schedule. My work schedule is strange - I do three shifts per week, 12 hours each; some nights and some days. So I have some days where I have a lot of training time and other days where I'm hard pressed to fit in a 30 minute treadmill run. My guidelines: 1) train 6 days per week with Sunday rest day, 2) try to rotate s/b/r to avoid injury, 3) strength training a couple of times per week for core and upper body.

For cycling, I still get a fair amount of low intensity minutes with family rides (pulling the trailer does make this a bit more intensity), and do a spin class once or twice per week. Weather permitting, I try to get a high-intensity ride a couple of times per week - if not I do have a trainer I can use.

For swimming, I have a lesson once per week and try to get in the pool 2 or 3 additional swims per week. I try to get a mix between long swims (my favorite), and doing swims with various drills and exercises suggested by my swim teacher (not as fun).

I do most of my running on the treadmill. I've been run injury prone in the past and the treadmill really cuts down on the wear and tear. I try to get one outdoor run a month or so. For pace and distance, I have a pattern where I increase my speed, then back off on speed and increase distance, then increase speed again a bit faster than the last increase. It's gradual and I never go very fast by 'competitor' standards, but at this point it is working for me.

Would be delighted to get any tips, suggestions, and encouragement here. Thanks!

2011-04-07 10:36 PM

Hey everyone! I'm Lisa from Upstate NY. I started the Couch to 5K program this past October and have continued running. I'm up to 5 miles on the treadmill and am eager to get outside once it warms up a bit. Im doing my first 5K this July and would really love to get into the triathalon. My husband and I regularly bike around 20-25 miles throughout the spring, summer, and early fall. I'm really interested in learning more about becoming a triathlete and overcoming the athletic hurdles that come with training. 

-lisa

2011-04-08 12:19 AM

Extreme Veteran

Hey Guys! I'd like to sign-up too! I'm a true tri-newbie having never done one before.  My name is Keye (pronounced Kai), I'm 36 years old, married, have a 2year old daughter and another child on the way!.  I was a pretty big cyclist in HS and ran track and field as well.  Mainly sprints though.  Endurance sports were never my thing.  Since HS and then college I've packed on the pounds.  The office lifestyle seemed to take it's toll on me.  As of Jan 1 of this year I weighed in at 235lbs at 6ft tall.  I got interested in Tri's last year when my wife came back from her deployment to Iraq in July.  She had used the 6 months away to train for her first tri which was an Olympic distance.  I was both impressed, inspired, and a bit ashamed that I couldn't keep up.  I committed myself to doing my first tri this year, though with a more modest distance.  I've signed up for a super sprint in June (200m swim, 8mile bike, 2.5mie run) to ease into it and hope to do a regular sprint later in the season.  I started on the "Original 13 Week Sprint" program in February but then switched over to the 16 week 3x Swim Focused program in March.  I have no background in swimming but I'm learning.  I can see myself getting seriously addicted to this sport as I'm really enjoying the training itself.  Since my training I've gotten my weight down to about 216lbs and down two belt notches!

Thanks for reading this much! Looking forward to more!

2011-04-08 7:00 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

I'd like to toss my hat into the ring if possible as well.

BIO:  My name is Kirk I'm still in my 20's for the next several months and am currently a bike patrol officer in Charleston SC.  I am a newly wed and my wife works night shift so it helps for me to be out of the house training while she is sleeping.  I grew up in and around the water as a springboard diver that swam occasionally and a lifeguard and swim instructor up through college.  My current ambition is to get onto a Federal law enforcement agency and have a couple of applications in but with the current mess most have gone on a hiring freeze meaning the 2 year application process is going to be even longer and I need something to keep me motivated. I'm also a mechanic for the unit so I can offer some...  interesting... fixes for bike issues that might make a LBS cringe but will last a while if parts are hard to get.  I'm also attending the instructor course for a law enforcement bicycle association next week and will be recieving training on cadence and proper bike fit etc. so hopefully I'll be able to add as much as to the group as I'll get.  Running is my weakest leg mostly because I have never done it that much always prefered the pool to the asphalt.

Current Training:  I have a sprint level (500 meter, 20k, 5k) race may 21st and hope to do some of the Charleston Sprint tri series this summer schedule permitting and an Olympic level mid september and hopefully the Charleston marathon in January.  I have been on the Olympic 2x balanced since January and have dropped it down to the sprint level training program to increase speed as I'm confident in my endurance levels for the May race.  I'm still working on getting a road bike and transitioning to skinny tires from the fat tires I'm used to.

I'm not a super serious training guy and my last group was a little... intense and I felt out of place as several were accomplished racers planning HIM and IM distance races.  looking for a group that balances training with having fun and is ok with the odd duck question

2011-04-08 8:14 AM

Lexington OH

Hi Guys:

I would love to also sign up if you have room.

Story:  

I was always somewhat athletic, but never great in any sport.  I injured my knee and back in high school playing (of all things) softball.  I started powerlifting to build strength, and took to it with a passion through college and shortly after.  Over the years (I'm 52), I picked up weight, as my job is mostly a sit-down, sedentary one.   I started cycling about 20 years ago and enjoyed it, but an injury derailed it, and I gave my bike to my brother, as he was moving from running into tri's.  He's 48 and an avid cyclist, tri guy.  Very early in 2010, I realized that I needed to make a change.  I was 5'10", 278 (heaviest I'd ever been), and not in great health.  I started with the Biggest Loser workouts, progressed to P90X, and starting speed walking.  While talking to my brother, he mentioned that he and my other brother were planning to ride Cycle North Carolina this year (2011).  I put a bike together (TREK 2.3), and am working on getting ready for that.  My brother recently did the Gator HIM in a little over 6 hours, and it's inspired me to attempt to do some tri's next year.  My goals this year are my first 5k, CNC, and a 30 mile Tour De Cure ride here in Ohio.

Family: 

Newly married with 3 grown kids, and a 7yo step-son.  Live in Central Ohio.   My wife and I are both very busy professionals, her owning her own business, and trying to find training time and juggle all the issues with her profession and her son is something I'm trying to figure out.

I need some motivation and support.  I missed a workout this morning due to a late and restless night due to some family issues.  I'm trying to convert from an evening workout person to an early morning workout person.  Any suggestions would be most helpful.. Having trouble falling asleep prior to 10pm.

2011-04-08 8:15 AM

User image

New user

hey!

Background: living in southeast michigan (also frequents the cleveland area for family and friends), single, and i've been fairly active my entire life.  ran a 10k and a marathon relay last year as my first actual races since my high school cross country days.

new to the sport, training for my first sprint tri in august.  i started out as a frequent mountain biker (about 15 miles/week) when the weather agrees, and have been running for a long time, and training for my first half marathon on may 7.  i wasn't sure about my swimming abilities, but i got in the pool last fall, and even though im slow, am loving it.  looking into the road bike purchase soon as well, so i feel like the basics are there, and i can do the distances in each event already. my biggest weakness is swimming, and i'll just have to figure out if i can do all the events in a row.  im pretty clueless on training, i do weights (p90x workouts) and yoga on a regular basis, so im trying to put together an organized training plan that isn't total overkill and still allows me to do all the things i enjoy.  either way im excited to train during the summer.  looking forward to seeing how everyone on here does! good luck!

Edited by sarahv717 2011-04-08 8:22 AM
2011-04-08 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3435765

Lexington OH

swim proficiency:  - used to be a lifeguard, so I'm very comfortable in the water, but have some bad habits (sissor kicker), and I can only breath rolling to my right.  Watched some swim training videos and am working on different arm pull to generate more torque to allow a better roll.  Will work on bi-level breathing next.

cycle proficiency: good - need work on coming out of the saddle to power through hills instead of relying on granny gears.

run proficiency: extremely poor. actually hate to run.  I don't even have a set of running shoes yet.

2011-04-08 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Hi guys,

I would love to join the group if you all will have me!  A quick bio.  I'm 42 and have been training for one whole week for my first triathlon.  I used to be a serious distance runner (50-60 miles a week) but that was in a previous life so it doesn't really count.  I have been kicking around the idea of doing this for a long time but never let that stop my sedentary habits.  So I have made the jump and know I'm doing a sprint race in August and maybe some races sooner if I can get ready in time.  I discovered this site and what I found here has convinced me I can be a triathlete if I put the work in, the previously unobtainable knowledge is here for the asking!

Full disclosure part: I weigh 227 (233 last week!) and want to get at least 40 of that off.  I live in St. Louis (born and raised in Chicago area) but I'm still a Cubs fan.  Married, two sons age 12 and 8, and my wife thinks I have absolutely lost my mind.  As mentioned all of my previous endurance sport experience is in running, biking and swimming are alien sports to me.  I know how to swim, just not at this level.  I also don't do moderation well, I'm either all in or all out, which makes it hard for me to "scale back".  I guess that's enough for now, I'm going to open up my logs right now!  Thanks guys.

Dan.

2011-04-08 8:42 AM

User image

New user
NW Indiana

Had a good outdoor run yesterday....approaching sub 9 min miles. Didnt get my lazy butt out of bed to swim before work this morning so I will hit the pool this evening. Will work 34 hrs this weekend (7am sat to 5 pm Sun) so I will only be able to get a treadmill run in during that time. Hopefully will get back to the pool Sunday evening......maybe a swim/bike brick if the weather cooperates.

2011-04-08 8:57 AM

Regular

Hey Allison and Ryan,

I'd love to join the group if there's still room.

I'm 41 years old. Married, no kids.

Have been an off and on distance runner since high school. I've run 4 half marathons between 2004 and 2007. Finished my last one in 1:58:20 and convinced that was my personal best, didn't do any more races. Last year, did my first full marathon, and did OK but had an injury and lots of excuses, so didn't train properly at all! Finished in  5:52:03 which was under the race limit of 6:30, but don't feel like I really did it. 

I'm registered for the Chicago Marathon in October, but don't plan to run another after that.

I am hoping that triathlon's will be as enjoyable for me as the half marathon was and give me loads of room for personal improvement, so I can continue them for a long time.

I love the atmosphere of a race, as well as NEED something to work toward to keep me on track with my fitness routine. I have a goal to lose 30-35 pounds this year (before September) and this is part of that for me as well.

I was a fish when I was a kid, but haven't done much swimming in the last 20 years. I am amazed at how terrible my cardio fitness seems to be in the lap pool, definitely can use any and all tips and training ideas to improve that aspect.

I have a hybrid bike, and just switched to clipless pedals this week. I'm not super speedy, but feel pretty confidant (other than the new clipless thing - yikes) there.

Running will be my strong suit, and I know this will help me build a strong base for my marathon training.

My goal or plan is to try to be as efficient as possible in the bike and swim so I can take advantage of my running abilities

Oh, yeah, I'm training for the Lake Zurich Oly tri in July.

Edited by yardleybates 2011-04-08 8:58 AM
2011-04-08 9:02 AM

St. Paul

Do you still have room?

My name is Mary and I live in St. Paul Minnesota. 50 years old, never been an athlete. I grew up in California and swam like a fish back then. But my eye sight got so bad I couldn't find my way back to the locker room, so I gave it up. But in December I discovered prescription swim googles, joined the local Y and remembered how to swim(!). But after a couple weeks of laps, thought I needed some good reason to do the laps and decided for no apparent reason to do a triathlon.

My Y runs an all womens sprint in August, so i signed up. I also registered for a beginners tri in June.  i started a Couch to 5K running program (this would be my weakest area) and signed up for a 5K run at the end of April. I'm running 20 minutes now but pretty slow. I have ridden my bike to work, so I think I can do the bike stuff, but I've been following the 13 week program since the beginning of april to try and get ready for my first event at the end of June.

I'm pretty nervous, since I'm old - 50. Not really any experience with training or athletics and sometimes wonder why the heck I thought I could do this. But I keep plugging away and love to hear about peoples stories on this site.

I'm married and have 2 hunting dogs. I have a cabin in Western Wisconsin where I go each weekend -it's pretty rustic and awfully hilly but I'm hoping the hills will be good for training! I'm a computer geek at work. Given to fits of silly enthusiasms, but generally good natured

Hoping you still have room!

Mary

2011-04-08 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Had a good 5 mile run yesterday and I am off today and tomorrow as I have a 1/2 Marathon to run on Sunday. Back on schedule next week

2011-04-08 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL

Wow we have had a lot of responses and requests to join in such a short time.  We already have 13 people so I think I am going to declare our group full!  That way we can more easily keep track of each other and motivate/advise each other as well.  I'll work on some responses today after reading through all of your initial postings.

Happy Friday!

Oh and sorry for all of the responses from me that you're about to read. I wanted to take the time to read everyone's intro and respond to each one!

Edited by blackledge 2011-04-08 10:36 AM
2011-04-08 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3435500

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
alath - 2011-04-07 10:28 PM

I'd like to join if you still have room.

I'm 45 years old, live in Central Indiana with my wife and 2 kids (2 and 5 yo). I've never done a tri before. I'm signed up for a sprint in June and planning an Oly in August.

I used to be very overweight - my highest was 298. I've lost about 70 lbs from there. My weight loss journey included a fair amount of treadmill running and what I call "family cycling" - commuting around town, pulling the kids in a trailer. I started doing spin classes in the Winter to maintain my cycling legs, and one of the spin classes at our Y is led by the triathlon coach, who inspired me to try triathlon. I just started swimming lessons in October, but it's my favorite form of exercise now. I have a great swim teacher, also at the Y.

My goals for the Summer are participating, learning, and having fun. Competing is not terribly important to me. If I had to choose just one peak accomplishment for my triathlon career, I'd rather finish an Ironman at the back of the pack than a podium finish in a shorter event. I just really enjoy that feeling of being in a groove and going for longer and longer distances.

At this point I am not following a set training plan. My plan is based on what feels good to me and what I can fit into my schedule. My work schedule is strange - I do three shifts per week, 12 hours each; some nights and some days. So I have some days where I have a lot of training time and other days where I'm hard pressed to fit in a 30 minute treadmill run. My guidelines: 1) train 6 days per week with Sunday rest day, 2) try to rotate s/b/r to avoid injury, 3) strength training a couple of times per week for core and upper body.

For cycling, I still get a fair amount of low intensity minutes with family rides (pulling the trailer does make this a bit more intensity), and do a spin class once or twice per week. Weather permitting, I try to get a high-intensity ride a couple of times per week - if not I do have a trainer I can use.

For swimming, I have a lesson once per week and try to get in the pool 2 or 3 additional swims per week. I try to get a mix between long swims (my favorite), and doing swims with various drills and exercises suggested by my swim teacher (not as fun).

I do most of my running on the treadmill. I've been run injury prone in the past and the treadmill really cuts down on the wear and tear. I try to get one outdoor run a month or so. For pace and distance, I have a pattern where I increase my speed, then back off on speed and increase distance, then increase speed again a bit faster than the last increase. It's gradual and I never go very fast by 'competitor' standards, but at this point it is working for me.

Would be delighted to get any tips, suggestions, and encouragement here. Thanks!

Welcome to the group! Congrats on signing up for 2 tris already...that's great! And a sprint is a great race to start with.  It sounds like you are doing really well with the weight loss and the workouts especially with your work schedule and family time. Also, it's great when you can combine a workout with family time such as biking with the trailer.

I also like your attitude about just finishing and having fun. That's really important in your first race and all races to come. You will want to keep training if you have fun in your races.

2011-04-08 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3435510

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
runlikethewind81 - 2011-04-07 10:36 PM

Hey everyone! I'm Lisa from Upstate NY. I started the Couch to 5K program this past October and have continued running. I'm up to 5 miles on the treadmill and am eager to get outside once it warms up a bit. Im doing my first 5K this July and would really love to get into the triathalon. My husband and I regularly bike around 20-25 miles throughout the spring, summer, and early fall. I'm really interested in learning more about becoming a triathlete and overcoming the athletic hurdles that come with training. 

-lisa

Welcome Lisa!  The "couch to 5k" is a great program. I have known quite a few people that have done it including my wife and all have been quite successful. My wife is pretty fit but was never a runner so she could barely run 1/10 of a mile but did 2 5ks last year.  Swimming seems to be the part that most triathletes dread but if you have good form with speed will come with time.  There are some pretty good training plans on here for beginning sprint triathletes.  But be warned once you get into this sport you may become addicted

2011-04-08 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3435545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
wushunut - 2011-04-08 12:19 AM

Hey Guys! I'd like to sign-up too! I'm a true tri-newbie having never done one before.  My name is Keye (pronounced Kai), I'm 36 years old, married, have a 2year old daughter and another child on the way!.  I was a pretty big cyclist in HS and ran track and field as well.  Mainly sprints though.  Endurance sports were never my thing.  Since HS and then college I've packed on the pounds.  The office lifestyle seemed to take it's toll on me.  As of Jan 1 of this year I weighed in at 235lbs at 6ft tall.  I got interested in Tri's last year when my wife came back from her deployment to Iraq in July.  She had used the 6 months away to train for her first tri which was an Olympic distance.  I was both impressed, inspired, and a bit ashamed that I couldn't keep up.  I committed myself to doing my first tri this year, though with a more modest distance.  I've signed up for a super sprint in June (200m swim, 8mile bike, 2.5mie run) to ease into it and hope to do a regular sprint later in the season.  I started on the "Original 13 Week Sprint" program in February but then switched over to the 16 week 3x Swim Focused program in March.  I have no background in swimming but I'm learning.  I can see myself getting seriously addicted to this sport as I'm really enjoying the training itself.  Since my training I've gotten my weight down to about 216lbs and down two belt notches!

Thanks for reading this much! Looking forward to more!

Welcome to our group Keye (cool name by the way).  Congrats on the weight loss and joining the tri world.  I know what you mean about the office world taking a toll on weight as I was in that same boat too.  I try to drink a lot of water at work to keep myself from snacking during slow times.  And there is nothing wrong with signing up for a short distance race for your first one...I think it's a great idea.  Some people do longer races but still enjoy the short sprints the most.  Also, good idea on doing the training plan. It helps to have a schedule set for some people and a swim focused plan sounds like a good idea too since you seem to have a decent running and biking background.

I have done sprints and Olympics but actually enjoy going all out in a sprint a little more.  So I  thought I would start training for the 1/2 ironman to see if I liked going that much farther more.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 29