General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for multiple races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-21 3:09 PM

Regular
, Indiana
Subject: Training for multiple races

I just finished my first tri this past Sunday.  Next year I am looking to do multiple tri's instead of just one.  I plan on doing 3 or 4 sprints and an olympic to end the year.  How do I go about training for multiple triathlons?  Do I do an individual plan for each one? Do I train for the first spring and maintain for the next sprints and then switch to an oly program?  I really need help with this one.

2009-08-21 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2363089

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Training for multiple races
ritzb - 2009-08-21 1:09 PM

I just finished my first tri this past Sunday.  Next year I am looking to do multiple tri's instead of just one.  I plan on doing 3 or 4 sprints and an olympic to end the year.  How do I go about training for multiple triathlons?  Do I do an individual plan for each one? Do I train for the first spring and maintain for the next sprints and then switch to an oly program?  I really need help with this one.

Unless your sprint races are A races, I would train primarily for the Oly at the end of the year. The higher volume for the Oly will more than likely make you faster for your sprints. Just ease off/mini taper for the sprints.

If you really want to hit the Oly hard, do focus months in the offseason to build up mileage, and then use a good 20 week HIM plan to train for your Oly.

John
2009-08-21 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
OMAHA
John actually gives good advice...If you are an amateur athlete just train through all the sprints (but rest up the days beforehand)...In the tapering for the olympic though its important to keep up the intensity but not overtrain-Do some sprints and try to relax for the last 2 weeks...

Physically you cant change your body in 2 weeks so nothing you do during this period will help you but can hinder you if you overtrain..Good luck!
2009-08-21 5:14 PM
in reply to: #2363116

User image

Veteran
tkd.teacher - 2009-08-21 4:19 PM

Unless your sprint races are A races, I would train primarily for the Oly at the end of the year. The higher volume for the Oly will more than likely make you faster for your sprints. Just ease off/mini taper for the sprints.

If you really want to hit the Oly hard, do focus months in the offseason to build up mileage, and then use a good 20 week HIM plan to train for your Oly.

John

What are focus months?  One month spent focusing on one sport?
2009-08-21 7:01 PM

User image

New user
I'm doing that now. First Oly is in 3 weeks. Been training for it all year (4 mos volume building and weights, followed by a 20 week Oly plan). I worked a super sprint, two sprints, and a 1.5k swim only race into my plan.

Edited by braciole 2009-08-21 7:03 PM
2009-08-22 10:47 AM

Choose what race or two you want to be your A race. Preferably not too far from eachother and train to peak around them. Train for the Olympic and leave yourself time after the sprints to recover but maintain good focus on your Olympic plan. I have done this and raced those B and C level races while leaving some gas in the tank so I could continue training within the next day or two following. Always follow a plan and you'll be fine.

2009-08-22 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2363366

User image

Champion
happyshoes - 2009-08-21 4:14 PM

tkd.teacher - 2009-08-21 4:19 PM

I just finished my first tri this past Sunday. Next year I am looking to do multiple tri's instead of just one. I plan on doing 3 or 4 sprints and an olympic to end the year. How do I go about training for multiple triathlons? Do I do an individual plan for each one? Do I train for the first spring and maintain for the next sprints and then switch to an oly program? I really need help with this one.

John

What are focus months? One month spent focusing on one sport?

for me they work one of two ways.

during the season i run through cycles where one sport gets more attention for a week/number of weeks, ie will drop the running and biking back to 3-4 times a week tops, and run 7, or something like that.

in the off season i have true focus months. for me this year, mid oct through feb is all about hte run, biking 1 or 2 times a week (by far my strength), and slowly adding in swimming as the winter progresses.

i did that my first year with the bike, last year with the swim, now both of those are where they should be, i just need to become a runner.

its a great way to get in some serious work on one sport while not in season and let you get some progress made that you can hold onto with the much lower single sport volumes you have during the sseason when you ahve 3 sports to work on.
2009-08-22 5:44 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Depends on your goals. You could make one race your A race, and train for that...all the rest are basically speedwork/practice.

I typically do 6-9 multisport events a year, and don't really have an A race, so I just train right through them. Basically, I get in shape prior to the season, and then race my way through it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for multiple races Rss Feed