Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Crazy bike accident Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-19 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Crazy bike accident
Hey all you BC triathlete's, I had a weird bike accident yesterday where I bent my back wheel braking going down a hill. No injuries which is good but my back wheel is messed.Should I just replace it, or should I take my frame in to my LBS and make sure it is still OK? I am new to the bike thing so I am not too sure what too expect cost wise, problem wise etc... Any info would be grand.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by browner6 2006-02-19 8:25 PM

2006-02-19 10:10 PM
in reply to: #349600

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-02-19 10:20 PM

Subject: RE: Crazy bike accident
Holy cow.. sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you're okay! Where did it happen?

I nearly got schmucked on Dallas road a few weeks ago, so I can sympathize. I'm actually surprised I didn't do any damage to my bike (which was only a couple of weeks old).

Probably your best bet is to ask the very question you asked us.. at the bike shop. Not sure who you deal with, but Fort Street Cycle is very good and they won't nickel and dime you. I know that you can easily spend at least a couple hundred on a new wheelset (and some spend thousands)... so if that's not in your budget (or isn't worth it on your existing bike), then try to get it repaired if possible.
2006-02-19 11:26 PM

Expert
Denver
Thanks for the replies you guys, I honestly don't know how I bent the wheel??? Weird. I was out behind VGH in the highlands area, usually I do bike down by Dallas rd, although I thought I would change it up for once!!! Guess that was a bad idea... Thanks for the info on Fort Street cycle, I have heard good things about them, usually I go to Oak Bay bikes, but I will check out Fort Street and see how it is. Thanks again,

Cheers,

Mike
2006-02-24 8:44 PM

Regular
Victoria,BC
i deal with fort st cyle and they seem to be the best ones around, they know their stuff and they have very reasonable prices.....plus if you buy a bike from them you get 10% off other items in the store
2006-02-26 1:11 AM

Expert
Denver
Thanks guys, I will try heading into Fort street cycle, hopefully they will be able to help me out. For now all is well, a guy I know at work set me up with one of his spare wheels for a few bucks so at least I don't have to ride stationary.

Cheers,

Mike

2006-02-28 2:29 PM

Master
Seattle, California

I've never heard of that happening to a wheel before due to what you've discribed. The only things that I can think of is your brakes heated the rim and it warpped. Though you would have had to be braking for a long time down a long hill and I would think your brake pads would melt or your tire would pop before the rim goes. The only other thing that I can think of is that you had a spoke to tight and it popped or loosened quicky for some reason.

I'm totally stumpped by this one. I've read a ton about bike mechanics (read being the key word ) and have never heard of a wheel being warpped like that. I'd be interested to hear what the shop said happened though.

Oh and I like Fort St too. I got a bike there last year and they have been great.

Cheers

James

Edited by Global 2006-02-28 2:30 PM
2006-03-01 1:45 AM

Expert
Denver
Yeah, they were surprised that I hadn't been hit by a car!!! I honestly don't know how I did it, but I hope never to do it again. Haha, have a good one everybody,

Cheers,

Mike
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Crazy bike accident Rss Feed