General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Try-a-Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-31 7:01 PM

Subject: First Try-a-Tri

Hi everybody,

I am new here and stumbled across this site via googled while looking for some information. Sorry for the big post, but I have a few things to ask.

In two weeks I am going to attempt my first try-a-tri consisting of a 200 m swim, a 20 km bike ride and a 2.3 km run.

I am a fairly active person. I bike 9 km to work everyday and 9 km home. On occassion I go out for a big ride. The most have I have done this summer was 66 km. I don't think the bike portion isn't going to be a challenge. I don't think the running is going to be a problem either since I am capable of running distances of 5 km and 10 km at once. My main concern is swimming, I don't think that I am a very strong swimmer. I went to a local beach today that is 350 m in length and swam roughly half of it in just over 3 minutes. After that though I was fairly tired.

I am kind of nervous about this upcoming event. I think I should focus on my swim for the next two weeks, but does anybody have suggestions of a good approach of doing so?

I want to be competitive and hopefully to reasonably well. Thinking about the timing, I could probably do the swim in 5 minutes, the bike is 40 minutes and the run in 10. This will put me just under the hour mark. How does this compare to other try-a-tri results?

If anybody has any tips and or advice or anything for me that would be great!

I am looking forward to hearing your responses.

Faded-Maximus

2008-07-31 7:06 PM
in reply to: #1574496

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
Subject: RE: First Try-a-Tri
Faded-Maximus - 2008-07-31 7:01 PM

Hi everybody,

I am new here and stumbled across this site via googled while looking for some information. Sorry for the big post, but I have a few things to ask.

In two weeks I am going to attempt my first try-a-tri consisting of a 200 m swim, a 20 km bike ride and a 2.3 km run.

I am a fairly active person. I bike 9 km to work everyday and 9 km home. On occassion I go out for a big ride. The most have I have done this summer was 66 km. I don't think the bike portion isn't going to be a challenge. I don't think the running is going to be a problem either since I am capable of running distances of 5 km and 10 km at once. My main concern is swimming, I don't think that I am a very strong swimmer. I went to a local beach today that is 350 m in length and swam roughly half of it in just over 3 minutes. After that though I was fairly tired.

I am kind of nervous about this upcoming event. I think I should focus on my swim for the next two weeks, but does anybody have suggestions of a good approach of doing so?

I want to be competitive and hopefully to reasonably well. Thinking about the timing, I could probably do the swim in 5 minutes, the bike is 40 minutes and the run in 10. This will put me just under the hour mark. How does this compare to other try-a-tri results?

If anybody has any tips and or advice or anything for me that would be great!

I am looking forward to hearing your responses.

Faded-Maximus

Look at results from last year.

Do you know if it is a shoreline swim? My fiancee's first race was a try-a-tri, and they let people essentially run up the shoreline...he was way in the back of the pack on the swim because he was the only one actually swimming the 1/4 mile.
2008-07-31 7:08 PM

User image

Master
You've only got two weeks, so you don't really stand to gain much through training, other than confidence in the water. 175m in 3:00 is not bad for an open water swim, but if you can get out there and do it a few more times, that would be good. Two weeks before your first race, just don't go overboard and try to do too much, particularly next week. At the top of the page, click on "Programs" and look for a Sprint program, all the way down at the bottom, where it shows the last couple of weeks before the race, and you'll get an idea of how many folks get ready.

It really sounds like you're well prepared for the distances you'll be doing. Have fun.
2008-07-31 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
central Iowa

I would recommend that you do a couple of bricks, that is, bike and then start running directly.  They wouldn't need to be very long given the length of your race, but it will get your legs used to the feeling of running after biking.  Also you might want to check out transition set-up and execution (BT has a lot of good posts and articles on this topic).

Given that this is your first race I wouldn't worry about the time so much as just having fun and finishing.  Then you can use this experience to set goals for your next tris.   

2008-07-31 7:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The shorline swim sounds kind of stupid.. I checked and it's an open water swim, its like 100 m out and then 100 m back, so I don't think you will be able to run on the bottom the entire way.

The brick idea sounds like a great idea as I have never really done a transition of one into the other... Do I need to practice a swim to the bike as well, or just the bike to the run? Are transitions hard to do and time consuming during the race?

Thanks for all the replies so quickly

2008-08-01 7:23 AM
in reply to: #1574547

User image

New Haven, CT
Faded-Maximus - 2008-07-31 8:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The shorline swim sounds kind of stupid.. I checked and it's an open water swim, its like 100 m out and then 100 m back, so I don't think you will be able to run on the bottom the entire way.

The brick idea sounds like a great idea as I have never really done a transition of one into the other... Do I need to practice a swim to the bike as well, or just the bike to the run? Are transitions hard to do and time consuming during the race?

Thanks for all the replies so quickly

I would do a couple swim/bike and bike/run bricks.  You body feels weird (and wet) as you transition to the bike and your legs feel, well, like bricks for about the first 5-10 minutes on the run after the bike.  As one poster said, the bricks don't have to be long, but just get used to the feeling.

If you practice your transitions a couple times they won't be time consuming. Will you be like a pro, of course not, but there is no reason it will take you more than a minute or so to transition in a sprint event.  If you can bike and run sockless this will save you a few seconds and, assuming your a guy, if allowed, I wouldn't bother putting on a shirt at T1 assuming you are using tri shorts. 

You'll do great.  Good luck.

Edited by jsklarz 2008-08-01 7:27 AM

2008-08-01 7:29 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Swim/bike bricks... meh.  I don't think they are necessary.  I wouldn't waste time doing swim/bike bricks... I've never done one.  If you want to see what it feels like to be wet starting out on the bike, douse yourself with a hose and go ride. 

Good luck! 

2008-08-01 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
I would definitely practice transitions.  With the limited amount of time that you have you're probably not going to get faster on your swim, bike or run.  You can easily "save" time with fast transitions, even if you just spend an hour and find a routine that works for you.
2008-08-18 10:24 AM

Hey guys, I want to thank you all for the comments and suggestions you made. I successfully finished my first try-a-tri placing 4th out of 33 people 3rd in mens with a time of 7:05 on a 200m swim, 44:50 on a 20 km bike and 12:38 on a 2.3km run. I was a little dissapointed on the bike as biking is probably my strongest field. My swim to bike transition was quite slow as well.

I loved it, I had a lot of fun and am going to pursue this. I guess you can say I am hooked.

Since I plan on pursuing this, my question is now is what would you guys recommend me to look into getting gearwise? I think the biggest difference will be getting a road bike. I think that it will be a big step up from the mountain bike that I used. I am not looking for a super expensive one. My budget is roughly around $1000. Can you guys lead me into a direction with some brands and some things I should look for in a bike. Is there anything else I should look at getting right away?

Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Try-a-Tri Rss Feed