Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Highwood pass Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-09 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Subject: Highwood pass
I wanna go ride highwood pass as i am told it is a fantastiv ride especially if you can get in there before they open up the seasonal gate to traffic. Anyone one done it??? Advice?

2008-05-13 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1392851

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Highwood pass
Haven't done it myself, but heard that the road is still covered in snow. It is supposed to be an amazing ride down Hwy 40 out to Longview, the highest elevation ride of its kind or something in Canada. Supposed to be amazing, I would love to do it as well, just don't have any free weekends to go out that way!

Good luck and have fun. I'd check with a local cycling group to see the status on the road, I'm sure someone would know when it's been cleared/melted. I believe it opens up to public vehicles sometime early June.

E
2008-06-03 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1392851

Regular
Subject: RE: Highwood pass

As of May 31st -

There is still about a foot of snow up near the top, probably the last 300m or so.  The ride itself is quite nice.  Before the June 15th weekend you can go without any cars.  From the north gates it's a 17.5 km ride up to the summit which is 2206 m.

The reason it is closed to traffic is for wildlife migration.  If you are going alone or in a small group bring your bear spray to be safe.  I've seen bears in previous years near the top.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Highwood pass Rss Feed