Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-12-16 11:30 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RunnerX's Group - CLOSED
NAME: RunnerX - Walt

STORY: I had been an on-and-off runner for a while. Then I finally worked up to running a marathon. Realized I needed to get a little more serious. With my knee problems, I took up cycling. And finally completed the triad by watching my son swim in the summer swim club league and said I gotta do a tri! Did my first tri without really even knowing how to swim. 2009 will be my 9th season doing tri's. Each year, I've taken on a little bit more than the previous year. Finally, this is the big one this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced, 3 kids (pre-teens)

CURRENT TRAINING: 2008 was a bit of a transitional year for me, as I completed my divorce, so training wasn't what I wanted. Still, I got in an Oly and a Half Ironman, plus a bunch of running races, including my 8th marathon.

2009 RACES: 2 Half Ironman races, leading up to Lake Placid Ironman (my first) and then the NYC Marathon in the fall.

WEIGHTLOSS: No weightloss goals other than trying to lose those last 5 lbs. (ok...10.)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: In my own quest to be an ironman, I realize I feed off of the enthusiasm of others, so admittedly there's a bit of some selfish reason for doing this. But, I always try to encourage others and I will definitely be fully committed to whomever needs that boost. I enjoy hearing about how and why people get into the tri's. I've talked with many coaches (worked with one for a while), read through a lot, talked with all types of athletes from Dead-last to top 10 finishers at Lake Placid. And I've been through it all – following plans, tweaking them, injuries, discouragement, excitement, you name it. Plus, I know all too well how life has a way of sneaking up and how tri's need to fit into life. And, how triathlons aren't always about the race itself, but sometimes a deeper meaning. (Yes, we can get into some deeper conversations than simply training.)

Edited by runnerx 2008-12-18 9:05 AM

2008-12-17 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1856606

New user

Subject: RE: RunnerX's Group - OPEN

What's up Walt - if you have room, I could use some help...ha

NAME: Steve

STORY: I am a sales rep for Oracle.  Just moved out to San Fran from Boston in October.  Really kinda let myself get unhealthy, out-of-shape after college up until I moved.  I guess it probably happens to a lot of people, but with the healthy lifestyles you see, the hills, etc...I just felt the need to get back into it.  So - signed up for a Sprint in San Rafael...and started training yesterday.

FAMILY STATUS: Single.

CURRENT TRAINING: Couch to Sprint?  Seems a lil much in the swim department to start - but I need that.  I have a running background.  Cross Country in High School, and one year of XC and track in college - till I found that drinking was more fun.

2009 Races: That Vineman Sprint in San Rafael - April 11.

Looking forward to talking to you man....

Steve

2008-12-17 2:44 PM

Extreme Veteran

STORY: After graduating law school, quitting smoking, passing the bar and realizing I was in bad shape I started running.  I found BT and thought what the heck. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married

CURRENT TRAINING: Following Higdon's plan for the L.I. Marathon (start training in two weeks), there's the Mini Mighty Man which I might just "wing" the swim, The Nation's Tri in DC in September (didja know that's Oly length not sprint?) and then the Cow Harbor 10k to compare times with 2007.

WEIGHTLOSS: I really want to get down to 166 - its 30 pounds, but I'm giving myself all year. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I listen, question and adapt.

2008-12-17 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Can I join up?  I'll post my bio later. 
2008-12-17 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1859313

User image

Master
New Jersey
slem311 - 2008-12-17 2:50 PM

What's up Walt - if you have room, I could use some help...ha

NAME: Steve

STORY: I am a sales rep for Oracle.  Just moved out to San Fran from Boston in October.  Really kinda let myself get unhealthy, out-of-shape after college up until I moved.  I guess it probably happens to a lot of people, but with the healthy lifestyles you see, the hills, etc...I just felt the need to get back into it.  So - signed up for a Sprint in San Rafael...and started training yesterday.

FAMILY STATUS: Single.

CURRENT TRAINING: Couch to Sprint?  Seems a lil much in the swim department to start - but I need that.  I have a running background.  Cross Country in High School, and one year of XC and track in college - till I found that drinking was more fun.

2009 Races: That Vineman Sprint in San Rafael - April 11.

Looking forward to talking to you man....

Steve

Welcome Steve!! Funny abou the drinking. But that's why we run right? Well my club does at least. Hard workout followed by pizza and beer!!

That's good you got some running in your background - it always helps to have some experience somewhere. We'll get you through the Vineman Sprint.
2008-12-17 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1859466

User image

Master
New Jersey
bwingate - 2008-12-17 3:44 PM

STORY: After graduating law school, quitting smoking, passing the bar and realizing I was in bad shape I started running.  I found BT and thought what the heck. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married

CURRENT TRAINING: Following Higdon's plan for the L.I. Marathon (start training in two weeks), there's the Mini Mighty Man which I might just "wing" the swim, The Nation's Tri in DC in September (didja know that's Oly length not sprint?) and then the Cow Harbor 10k to compare times with 2007.

WEIGHTLOSS: I really want to get down to 166 - its 30 pounds, but I'm giving myself all year. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I listen, question and adapt.

Welcome Bruce! Cool about the marathon. I've done 7 marathons so I got some experience there. I can tell you all the things NOT to do!

What distance is the Mini MM? Sprint? And believe me, once you "get" the swim, then moving up to Oly distance will be no problem. Just gotta stay consistent in your training.

2008-12-17 4:22 PM
in reply to: #1859552

User image

Master
New Jersey
rowdypaint - 2008-12-17 4:15 PM

Can I join up?  I'll post my bio later. 

Sounds good! Welcome.

2008-12-17 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1859732

Extreme Veteran

runnerx - 2008-12-17 5:20 PM Welcome Bruce! Cool about the marathon. I've done 7 marathons so I got some experience there. I can tell you all the things NOT to do! What distance is the Mini MM? Sprint? And believe me, once you "get" the swim, then moving up to Oly distance will be no problem. Just gotta stay consistent in your training.

The Mini MM is 400y swim, 6 mile bike and 2 mile run - its two or three weeks before the Marathon.  I did the NYC marathon in '97.  Didn't train right - finished but was really beat up.  I hope to train correctly for LI and come in happy and just under 4 hours

2008-12-17 6:02 PM

User image

New user

Name: Bob 

Story: College sprinter for 2 years pulled a hamsting and never could get back under 50 sec in the 1/4 mile. I took up cycling rehab but never quite made it back, and nver really trained with any consistancy. A few years out of college I was up to 225LBS, and yo yoed down to 185 and back up, now I'm sitting at 206 and refuse to let myself run clydesdale again next year. last year I ran my first 1/2 marathon 1:48, plan on running it again this year but faster, 2 sprint Du's and 2 adventure races. Again no real training consistency. 

Family Status- supportive girlfriend 

Goals for 09- CONSISTANCY CONSISTANCY CONSISTANCY, and Swimming. 

Planned races - Long Branch 1/2 marathon.... then it really depends on my swim abillity. 

Weight loss- 20LBS+ of bad weight - not too concerned what the scale says. 

Currently as general training I'm trying to swim 3, bike 3, run 1-2 and lift 2 days a week

2008-12-17 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

OK, I'm back.  Now for the bio... 

Name: Pattie

Story: About 4 years ago, I finally woke up and realized that I was pretty overweight and in terrible shape.  I had been riding and showing horses off and on since college and trying to convince myself that riding/barn chores were enough exercise.  Well, it's really not.  I started walking during my planning period at the track; I'm a high school teacher.  That got boring really fast.  So I tried to run.  And that was the hardest thing I've ever done.  But I kept at it and ran my first 5K about 6 months later.  Then I managed to stress fracture my left leg.  About that same time, a friend at work was talking to me about a sprint tri he wanted to do.  I decided to do it, regardless of the SF.  Bought a bike, dusted off the swimsuit and I was hooked. 

Family Status- married to a triathlete.  My husband did his first season of dus and tris this year.  He went from not running at all a year ago to doing an 8 mile race last month.  Freak.  Laughing

Goals for 09- Run and not re-injure any old issues.  Improve my swimming.  I do OK on the swim, but I think I could improve. 

Planned races - Probably 3 dus, although I really don't like dus.  Couple sprints, couple olympics and a 1/3 iron in August. 

Weight loss- Lots.  I've been really bad with my food since my last race in Oct.  I've got about 20 pounds that need to go.  

This is my "off" season, so not much training going on.  I still get to the gym 5 days a week, but it's been very unfocused.  I started going to a weightlifting class 2 days a week and that's been good.  It's time to put together the training plan for the winter so I have some focus. 

Guess that's about all.  Looking forward to getting to know you all! 

2008-12-17 9:32 PM

User image

Ames,IA

Walt,

I think I would like to have you mentor/help me if you could.

Name: CPT K/Joe 42

This is my first year training for Triathlons.  I ran the 400 hurdles in college,(20 years ago), and have run the Dam-to-Dam race in central Iowa the last 3 years (20K).  Last year I ran 1:50 and I only trained for 2 weeks.  This year I plan to get serious and train for the D2D and the Hy-Vee Triathlon in Des Moines.  Depending on how training goes, I may do a tri in Okaboji, and the Pig-man.  Possibly the Des Moines Marathon in October. 

I am married (18yrs) with 3 kids, 16-11-6, B,G,B.  I complete 20 years in the reserves next June, and went to Air Assault School, (jumping out of helicopters with a rope), 2 years ago when I was 40.  Triathlons are my next big adventure!  I swim like a runnner and run like a rocket.  So far, I don't have a bike to race with, but possibly February.....

My wife was a swimmmer in college, and she has been helping me a little bit.  The running I love to do and biking I will need alot of help with. 

Do you think you could help me this year?  Thanks in advance.

2008-12-18 1:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia

I'd like to join as well. Long bio later. Here's the short one.

I live in Vancouver, but originally from San Francisco.

Love the bike, Like the swim, and put up with the run.

Sufering from a NIGHTMARE of a broken collarbone (4months and counting) from a cycling crash and am scheduled for surgery January 8th.  

AND I have a slot for Escape from Alcatraz!

I promise to fill in the long bio later

2008-12-18 2:41 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
chick here from downunder wanting to join-up, will post bio after I get my four-year old to bed
2008-12-18 2:49 AM

New user

San Rafael, CA

Hi Walt

I need a goal and have always wanted to tri!

Did a few duathlons a few years back (run/ride/run) and in 2005 did the New Orleans Marathon (ran a bit, walked a bit, but finished).

Since then my wife has had our first child (boy, Evan, and yes, he's gorgeous) this year and I put on pounds while she was pregnant and I am tring to focus on ways to lose the blubber and get back to feeling fit(ish).

I am originally from Australia but now live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have so many great places in Marin County to hike or even run but not the energy, or, so the excuse goes, the time, to enjoy them.

I was a registered surf life saver as a kid in Oz so I love swimming but have a lot of "drag" now around the belly and the board shorts that go with it. Have access to a great pool though.

I'd like to train for one or two Sprint events this spring/summer. 

Cheers

Tony

2008-12-18 4:26 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia

Munchkin outside playing soccer with his Dad so I have time now, about 20mins until bedtime

NAME Daisy

STORY Ex-Scot now living in Australia. Challenged by some friends to do a short sprint almost three years ago.  Learned to swim for it and had a blast - it was a women's event and very supportive.  Wanted to train more but was sick with colds for about 18months as my rubbish immune system adapted to a whole new cohort of viruses.  Did a Tri Beginner's Training course in Sept/Oct leading up to another women's event which was again great fun.  Started immediately on another course and got through most of it but have damaged a lumber disc so not doing the tri which is on Sunday, sniff.

FAMILY STATUS Married, one little boy, 4 almost 5.  Incredibly supportive husband who is an academic working about 60 hours a week.  Early mornings are a problem (husband routinely works till about 1am) but gym has a good creche which my Munchkin adores and I usually manage an early morning cycle at the weekend.  Want to continue training while working part-time when Munchkin goes to school full-time in Feb.

CURRENT TRAINING  Unfortunately with the back problem I've been swimming only but hope to return to cycling and running soon.  

WEIGHT LOSS 25lbs over the last year with about 15 still to go. Member of Team Skinny

WHY I NEED A MENTOR the back problem(and a long-running hip bursitis) and the closure of my gym on 31st December are just providing excuses for me to ease off training.  I really need some encouragement, especially to get through my injuries.  I had to pull out of the training course I had lined up for Jan/Feb.  Need some good advice and wise words.

2008-12-18 6:59 AM

Slidell/Pearl River

looks like you're still open so why not

lforce- mike 29 yrs, single

decided 2 months ago to do a sprint tri with 2 others from work, both beginners as well, work kind've long hours but decided to start training with a goal of doing first sprint in feb

background- bit of cross country in high school, haven't run much since, swam competitively for 13 yrs but nothing after high school again, little bit of mountain biking the last 5 years but no road biking, just bought my first road bike and got out on the streets last week

races- just the sprint in feb and will take it from there but so far enjoying it and would like to hopefully look ahead to longer distances

seem to get busier and busier but trying to keep up on the site and log training to have something to refer back to

2008-12-18 7:48 AM

User image

I've been waiting for the mentoring programs to open up! I'd love to join.

NAME: tri_jean or EJ

STORY: I've been trying to be athletic for about 7 years now, but my knee always stops me. I had surgery on my knee (just so I can run) in November and won't be able to do serious training until February. I am doing the triathlon for multiple reasons. One, it sounds challenging and impressive. Two, I will be in better shape. Three, I teach high school freshmen and it is a class activity. I am trying to be a role model for them. We'll see!

FAMILY STATUS: single

CURRENT TRAINING: I just started in September and was working out everyday until my knee couldn't take it. I was running 3x a week, swimming . . . sometimes . . . and biking 2-3x/week. I have been off for a couple of months, except for physical therapy, but I started lifting again yesterday and I need to come up with some other workouts I can do now.

2009 RACES: 1 sprint

WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost 25 pounds over the past few years and I am trying to lose about 35 more (to weigh 150).  

Edited by tri_jean 2008-12-18 7:49 AM
2008-12-18 7:59 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Hi Walt, I'd like to join your group as well.

Name:  kcarroll: kim

Story:  got serious about getting fit a few years ago.  did my first tri (sprint) 2 years ago.  Last year did 2 sprints.  I hadn't swam at all since I was a kid, so took a total immersion workshop and loved it.  I'm still quite a slow swimmer, but I really do enjoy practicing.  My strength is on the bike, but I don't do much on the trainer over the winter.  I'm just starting to run again (had a nasty round of plantar fasciitis) and am trying to build up endurance and speed.  Slow is an overarching theme here.  My job requires a lot of travel, mostly international.  Sounds glamorous, but not really.  The hardest part is hotels in EU rarely have gyms and pools are impossible to find.  Running becomes the only real option on those trips.

I've never logged my workouts on the site, so will have to try and figure that out. I've historically kept a log at home and do train with hrm.  Just got the garmin 305 for early x-mas present, so looking forward to figuring out how to use.

Family Status:  single

Current training:  masters swim 2x week, running 9-12 miles week, strength training (kettlebells) 3x week, would like to fit in a yoga session or two but can't seem to find the time.

2009 races:  April - More half maration NYC (my first road race over a 5k),  May - Wycoff sprint (forgot to mention, I'm in NJ too.), July - NJ State (my first oly), August - SheRox Philly, September - Danskin NY metro   Still looking for something in June

Weightloss:  maybe 10lbs, but not if it means giving up pizza and beer 

Looking forward to this! 

2008-12-18 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm in.... :-)

NAME: MrHighSide - Andy

STORY: Competed in athletics of all sorts all my life. Was always the slowest fast guy or the fastest slow guy. But I haven't competed in a long time and I miss it... :-)

Total noob here, looking to do a few Sprints and a Oly this year, drop a few pounds, and just get out and compete in something. As well as do something to take my mind off my own marital issues. I have 2 kids (4 yo girl and 7 yo boy).

I'm looking for random advice and a lot of motivation.

-Andy
2008-12-18 8:32 AM

New user

Walt, if you are still open I could use all the motivation I can get.

My story: I am 34 years old and have always enjoyed sports. I played basketball all through high school and rec. leagues followed, until i tore my ACL. I have had 2 knee surgeries (1992 and 2002) and pretty much gave up basketball after the second surgery. So i then took up cycling in 2005. I bought a nice road bike and rode a lot for 2yrs, then we had our first child and kind of gave that up also. Although I am a fairly strong swimmer I have never had to swim for distance so I know I need some work there, and running has never been fun for me. However, I have always wanted to compete in a tri, so this is the year I get motivated and actually do something about it.

Family: Married 6yrs, 1 toddler and 1 dog

Current training: pretty much just started. Run 2 miles twice a week (9 min pace), Ride trainer twice week  (30 mins) and joining the YMCA on 12/18 to start swimmig twice a week.

Weight loss: I weigh 207 and want to get below 200 for my first tri

2009 races: A couple of sprint tri's, hopefully the first one being Feb1st in Kentucky, just to see where I stand.

Thanks in advance:

Jay

Let me know if I can join 

2008-12-18 9:08 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: RunnerX's Group - CLOSED
Excellent!! Looks like we got ourselves a good group here. Good variety of backgrounds. Interesting that alot of you did some type of sport previously.

So, we're all going to encourage each other, and we're all going to meet our goals. I'm pretty excited about this.

I'll respond more individually, but right now, works beckons. (just a shame that it has to interfere like that!!)

2008-12-18 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1859836

User image

Master
New Jersey
bwingate - 2008-12-17 5:53 PM

runnerx - 2008-12-17 5:20 PM Welcome Bruce! Cool about the marathon. I've done 7 marathons so I got some experience there. I can tell you all the things NOT to do! What distance is the Mini MM? Sprint? And believe me, once you "get" the swim, then moving up to Oly distance will be no problem. Just gotta stay consistent in your training.

The Mini MM is 400y swim, 6 mile bike and 2 mile run - its two or three weeks before the Marathon.  I did the NYC marathon in '97.  Didn't train right - finished but was really beat up.  I hope to train correctly for LI and come in happy and just under 4 hours

The biggest piece of advice I'd give is make sure you follow the long runs!!! Those are key. I had really crappy long runs this year for one reason or another, but had awesome weekday runs. The result: I set a PR over the first 15k, but then struggled the rest of the way.
2008-12-18 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1859920

User image

Master
New Jersey
bm1981 - 2008-12-17 7:02 PM

Name: Bob 

Story: College sprinter for 2 years pulled a hamsting and never could get back under 50 sec in the 1/4 mile. I took up cycling rehab but never quite made it back, and nver really trained with any consistancy. A few years out of college I was up to 225LBS, and yo yoed down to 185 and back up, now I'm sitting at 206 and refuse to let myself run clydesdale again next year. last year I ran my first 1/2 marathon 1:48, plan on running it again this year but faster, 2 sprint Du's and 2 adventure races. Again no real training consistency. 

Family Status- supportive girlfriend 

Goals for 09- CONSISTANCY CONSISTANCY CONSISTANCY, and Swimming. 

Planned races - Long Branch 1/2 marathon.... then it really depends on my swim abillity. 

Weight loss- 20LBS+ of bad weight - not too concerned what the scale says. 

Currently as general training I'm trying to swim 3, bike 3, run 1-2 and lift 2 days a week

Is that Long Branch as in NEW JERSEY?

Like you said, consistency is the key. Although I will say if you're aiming for the Half Marathon, getting in only 2 days/week of running is low, even for now. And I might even question the lifting - depending on what you're doing. Losing 20 lbs would only help with the swimming and running, and muscle is quite heavy. The cycling is enough cross-training to help with your running.

2008-12-18 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1860112

User image

Master
New Jersey
rowdypaint - 2008-12-17 9:13 PM

OK, I'm back.  Now for the bio... 

Name: Pattie

Story: About 4 years ago, I finally woke up and realized that I was pretty overweight and in terrible shape.  I had been riding and showing horses off and on since college and trying to convince myself that riding/barn chores were enough exercise.  Well, it's really not.  I started walking during my planning period at the track; I'm a high school teacher.  That got boring really fast.  So I tried to run.  And that was the hardest thing I've ever done.  But I kept at it and ran my first 5K about 6 months later.  Then I managed to stress fracture my left leg.  About that same time, a friend at work was talking to me about a sprint tri he wanted to do.  I decided to do it, regardless of the SF.  Bought a bike, dusted off the swimsuit and I was hooked. 

Family Status- married to a triathlete.  My husband did his first season of dus and tris this year.  He went from not running at all a year ago to doing an 8 mile race last month.  Freak.  Laughing

Goals for 09- Run and not re-injure any old issues.  Improve my swimming.  I do OK on the swim, but I think I could improve. 

Planned races - Probably 3 dus, although I really don't like dus.  Couple sprints, couple olympics and a 1/3 iron in August. 

Weight loss- Lots.  I've been really bad with my food since my last race in Oct.  I've got about 20 pounds that need to go.  

This is my "off" season, so not much training going on.  I still get to the gym 5 days a week, but it's been very unfocused.  I started going to a weightlifting class 2 days a week and that's been good.  It's time to put together the training plan for the winter so I have some focus. 

Guess that's about all.  Looking forward to getting to know you all! 

Congratulations on working up to the 5k, Pattie. I think you and I may share something with the injury stuff. I found that when I have a nice balanced training regimen, I'm much stronger all around and less susceptible to injury. It's when I "only run", that the injuries creep up. that's why tri's are great.

And "unfocused" training is fine right now. Recharges the mind and body so you'll be fresh for the upcoming season.
2008-12-18 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1860241

User image

Master
New Jersey
CPT K - 2008-12-17 10:32 PM

Walt,

I think I would like to have you mentor/help me if you could.

Name: CPT K/Joe 42

This is my first year training for Triathlons.  I ran the 400 hurdles in college,(20 years ago), and have run the Dam-to-Dam race in central Iowa the last 3 years (20K).  Last year I ran 1:50 and I only trained for 2 weeks.  This year I plan to get serious and train for the D2D and the Hy-Vee Triathlon in Des Moines.  Depending on how training goes, I may do a tri in Okaboji, and the Pig-man.  Possibly the Des Moines Marathon in October. 

I am married (18yrs) with 3 kids, 16-11-6, B,G,B.  I complete 20 years in the reserves next June, and went to Air Assault School, (jumping out of helicopters with a rope), 2 years ago when I was 40.  Triathlons are my next big adventure!  I swim like a runnner and run like a rocket.  So far, I don't have a bike to race with, but possibly February.....

My wife was a swimmmer in college, and she has been helping me a little bit.  The running I love to do and biking I will need alot of help with. 

Do you think you could help me this year?  Thanks in advance.

Wow! Jumping out of helicopters. Not for me!

Sounds like you got some talent as a runner. Like you said, get serious and consistent and who knows where you can go with that.

Great that you got a personal coach at home for your swim. Maybe she can give us all some pointers???

Obviously, having a bike will be necessary to doing a tri, but it'll help the running too. All you need to do is ride, and not worry about speed or anything like that. That'll all come over time.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunnerX's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14