BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mike's group closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-12-16 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Subject: Mike's group closed

My user name is Mikep, my first name is Mike.  I am from Erie, Pennsylvania and I am 39 years old and I am a full time school teacher.  I have been married for nine years and we have two children, ages five and three.  This is my third year training and competing in triathlons.  A friend of mine did the Escape From Alcatraz a few years ago and the more I talked to him about it, the more I wanted to try doing one myself. I have completed 5 triathlons in the past two years. Three races were sprint, one was an olympic and one was a half ironman.  Right now I am on "winter maintenance" and I am focusing on keeping fit both physically and mentally.  I am also doing some strength training, working on a stronger swim, endurance on the bike and speed on the run.  For this coming summer I have four races lined up: one sprint, two olympic and one full ironman (Louisville, kentucky) distance.  My goals have always been to compete against myself and perform the best that I can.  Weight has never been an issue with me, but I have lost twenty pounds since starting and wouldn't mind loosing another 5-10 before race day.

I have been on BT for two years nearly every day.  I owe so much of what I can do and what I know about triathlons to this site.  I have obsessed with other web sites, books, magazines, videos and anything triathlon for the last two years trying to learn as much as I can about this sport.  I would love to share what I have learned with others who show interest in doing a triathlon for their first time or looking to try for longer distances.  I can be of help at least on an every-other-day basis or better.  If I don't know the answer, I can find it or send people in the right direction. I am willing to take on 6 people.  I'd rather be of big help to 6 people rather than a little help to a bigger group.

Edited by mikep 2008-12-25 12:24 PM

2008-12-17 12:03 PM
in reply to: #1856771

Subject: RE: Mike's group open
Hey Mike I am doing Kentucky this year also!  I can hardly wait.  I decided not to take this winter off been at it for a couple years myself!  Planning on doing a couple Olympics and a half then the full.  Starting to put the plan together for the season.  Was suppose to do the full last year but when i did my half which i finished without walking decided I was not ready for the run so this whole off season has been about running man does it suck! LOL Still swimming and biking but really concentrating on the run can hardly wait to get  to Kentucky and get this under the belt.  Same here with the reading   my wife thinks that i am insane but it is all worth it!  So when are you planing on starting to pick up the training?
2008-12-17 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

Hi Dave.  Seems like a lot of people here are doing IMKY this summer.  There are lots of people who have done it in the past willing to share too.  So we have some really good resources here.
I plan to keep bumping things up slowly over the winter so come time to start my plan, I'll be right at the times need to start.  My 1st goal is to finish the race.  Second would be to do it in 13 hours and my dream time would be 12 hours.

Are you interested in being in this group? 

2008-12-18 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

Hey Mike, I'd like to join your group.

NAME: Rob, M38

History: Did one triathlon in 1989, and then a bunch in 1990-1 while in college.  I also ran XC in college (Div II). I quit everything at the end of 1991 for health reasons, and just started running again in Jan'08.  Ran on a treadmill from Jan-Aug of '08 and lost a bunch of weight.  At the end of Aug'08 I suddently got the itch to start training for triathlon again.  A few weeks later I lost my mind and signed up for IMKY'09.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with two kids (3.5 and 5) and three dogs.  My wife thinks I'm crazy for trying to do triathlons again, and told me I'm too old to do an IM!

CURRENT TRAINING:  Recovering from a stress fracture in my hip which I got from running too much too fast too soon. So I'm taking several weeks off from running and biking and focusing on swimming.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  None - last race was 1991.

2009 RACES: .I'll do short tri's and road races as they fit my schedule (and health).  My "A" race is IMKY'09.  Before my hip stress fracture, I was pretty sure I could finish the distance, but now I'm a little less sure given the limited running I'll be able to do this winter.  My "B" race is the Door County Half Ironman in July (in WI).  I will consider this first year back to triathlon a success if I can at least finish the HIM, and I will be stoked if I can finish the IM.

WEIGHTLOSS: Maybe 5-10 pounds once summer gets here.  Happy to say that now that I'm back to training regularly and not drinking alcohol I don't seem to have the weight issues I've been dealing with for the last ~10 years.

2008-12-23 5:39 PM

User image

Hi Mike,

I'm might be interested in joining your group if it's still open.

My name is Matt, I'm 38, married and have 5 kids...yeah, it keeps me busy.

History:  I've always enjoyed cycling and swimming, but not running so much.  Last year, over Christmas I had the brilliant idea to compete in a tri this year.  I spent some time searching the web for information and training programs and stumbles upon BT.  At the time, i was sitting at 248 pounds and foud the forum discussions about tri'ing for weightloss.  I joind one of the groups and started the couch to sprint workout plan.  On one hand, I'm disappointed with myself because I didn't get up the nerve to make a tri fit into my busy schedule.  However, today I sit here at 207 pounds.  So having lost 41 pounds this year has made me want to set a new goal.  Not only am I certain that i am going to compete in some tris this year.  But I want to do a half ironman.

I'm completely confident that I can do it but I'm also realistic enough to know that I need some people puching me too.  I've never been a super athelete or anything so I know I'll need a lot of help along the way as I learn to endure something like that.

I may be crazy, but there is a half ironman in St. Croix in May and that's kind of my goal at this point.  My parents live on that island so it'd be nice to go visit them and have a cheering section.

2008-12-24 12:19 AM

User image

Oklahoma

Hi Mike,

I'd like to join your group if you'll have me.  My name is Heath.  I am 34 years old and am currently living in Oklahoma. I work as a Child and Family Therapist.  I do home and school based counseling.  I have a very flexible schedule.  I've been lurking around BT for a few weeks now.  I am overweight at the moment so of course tri training is a motivator to help with the weight loss but mostly I just miss some competition.  I hate to diet and exercise for the fact of losing some pounds...I want to TRAIN!  I have done a couple 5k's last year but since have gained about 50 lbs.  I lost about 40 lbs a year and a half ago using Body For Life but just got bored with it.  I love to eat which hurts.  Anyway I love to have a real training goal.  I wanted to compete in the Men's Health Urbanathlon this last year but never got going with it.  They are having it again this year in october so that is a goal but before then I want to finish a sprint triathlon.  I am a poor swimmer.  MY girlfriend however just bought me a road bike for christmas because she knew I had been playing with the idea of getting involved in this and wanted to encourage me so I can't let her down.  I hope to be a big part of this group.  I need help getting it all set up and some motivation but I will do my best.

2008-12-24 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

Hi everyone.  I have already talked with Wiky and were off and running.  Msurdyke and Heath34, you are both welcome to join.  I see that you both mentioned weight as an issue you would like to work on.   I have not had to worry about that personally (I am lucky) so I will probably refer you to the "Tri'ing for weightloss" forum many times for specific weightloss questions.  I can tell you both that you will loose weight automactically just by following any of the training plans availble here.  I lost 25 lbs my first year without changing anything.  I usually vary 10-15 lbs between winter and summer.

So to get  everyone  rolling I would say to first enjoy the holidays.  Eat drink and be merry, because after that, it will be time to get focused.  You should set yourself  long term goals.  What do you want to achive from all of this in a few years?  Then set midterm goals.  What do you want to do this summer.  Then set immerdiate term goals.  What are you going to do in the next week?  Be specific as you can.  You can list these in your blog to remind yourself and for others what your goals are.  When writing these out remember  there are people who say "I want to...." and people who say "I will do..."  Make yourself the type of person who says "I will do" when writing your goals.

Next you should pick an "A" race that you will do this summer.  One that you will focus on the most as far as training goes.  Other races are obviously fine, but this will be the one you really want to be sucessful at.  From there, pick a plan from this site and work it backwords from that race date.  So a 20 week plan for a race at end of Augut means you will begin that training plan in April.  You will be "training" before this, but this will be a race specific plan.

Once you have those two main things in order, then the fun begins.  For now, I am off to enjoy the holidays as well.  I will be back here often to check on everyone and I will set you up in my blog to check on you there as well.  You should also include each other as a "friend" in your blog to inspire each other and to make this group more useful for everyone.   Feel free to PM me with any questions or to post them here as well. 

Edited by mikep 2008-12-24 9:37 AM
2008-12-24 11:05 AM

New user

Louisville

Hello Mike,

I would like to join your group, if there is still room.  I don't plan on taking up much of your time, maybe just asking some basic questions since I am completely new to tris......

I am 41 years old and live in Louisville, Ky (See you in the fall!!).  I have a wife, 6 year old daughter and a demanding job that keep my busy, although I manage to get workouts in 5-6 days per week.  I have "retired" from college sports 20 years ago, and have stayed in good shape since, but now want to explore tris.  I have never participated in any type of racing before, and like the idea of the variety.  Weight is not an issue, although if I lose some, I won't be disappointed! 

I don't really care about times at this point, I merely wish to participate and compete against myself, starting with sprints.....we will see where it goes from there.

Anyway, I would like to become a member of your group to learn from your experiences and receive some beginner's guidance.     Thanks for your consideration.

Wayne

2008-12-24 11:22 AM

Hi Mike,

My name is Pete and I'd like to join your group as well.  I've never done a tri before but have really intrigued by them for some time.  I'm an avid cyclist and a former swimmer, so that's what really kicked up the interest.  I'm planning to do the NJ Tri this summer - most likely the sprint as I've never done one before and then possibly an Olympic sometime later in the year.  Losing weight is a definite goal, but getting back in shape and actually completing the race (and not embarassing myself of course) is my main concentration (figuring the weight will come off as you say).

I'm married for 6 years with 2 boys (3 yr old and 9 months).  I live in Northern NJ and work full time in NYC.  I am able to get to the gym on average 4 times a week, but willing to bump that up if needed, although it may be tough. 

I've started some basic training focusing more on swimming and running as they are relatively new to me and just to get a base level down.  I've also done some weight training - full body workouts & focusing on the core.  The focus has always been to kick up the training after Jan 1 and that date has come up quickly!  I've been reading everything I can on tris and joined BT a few months back when I decided this was going to be my year. 

I think the training logs will be a huge help as well as the motivation you and your group can bring.  I definitely have questions and would love to get straight forward answers.  If there is space in your group open, I'd love to join and have someone show me the way to start and be successful!

Thanks,

Pete

2008-12-24 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Subject: RE: Mike's group Closed
zman and pliggy, your welcome to join.  I will cap it off here for the 5 of you.  I'll add you two to my friends and will be keeping in touch.  (I am assuming you read my last post)
2008-12-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: #1871430

User image

West Chester, PA
Subject: RE: Mike's group Closed

Hi Mike,

Room for one more?  On the main list you still show open, but I just saw your post an hour or so ago closing shop.

My name is Kevin, married and have three kids (newborn, 2.5 & 5).  I've finally decided to get serious with my exercise/training and set some realistic goals.  In the past few years I've started/stopped, and most likely since I never had a goal such as a race.  Also, I work with a bunch of tri-junkies (im & olympic) - one just got back from the Phuket Tri and couldn't stop raving about it.  So, I've got the bug and want to jump in.

I've been focused on eating well recently & light running (5K sub-28 pace) and have shed 10+ lbs (now 5'10" & 170 lbs).

I've made the mistake of over training in the past - two years ago while pushing it on running, I sprained my acl/mcl and gout a stress fracture on the tib plateau - not fun with two little ones at home, so don't want to do that again!!!

My goal this year is a series of Sprints in the Philly area, and possible the Philly Olympic in late June (we'll see how my training goes).  The run and bike don't scare me, but the swim does - only since I've never swam competitively before and have zero form - something that a few lessons should help with.

Thx,
Kevin D.

2008-12-24 10:37 PM

User image

Nanaimo, BC
Hey Mike,

I'm a software engineer living on the west coast of Canada. I'm 30 years old and a dad of two girls (7 and 9). I've dreamt of doing a triathlon since I was a teenager, but after becoming a desk-jocky and father I started piling on the pounds

Last summer (actually in May) I watched my dad and brother run a 10K and was super bummed that I could not be part of that. That's when I decided enough was enough.

I started walk-running at 305lbs. By July I was running 6K 4 times/week. Now I'm down to 220 lbs and am running 40-50KMs / week and am part of our Masters swim team. I'm also part of our local running group that does 10+ KM trail runs every Saturday.

I've paid the money for the Vancouver 1/2 marathon in May and plan to do a sprint Tri in June and an Olympic length in August. Next year I'd like to do the Penticton Iron Man. One season at a time though.

Not sure if you have room for a computer nerd who's falling in love with this sport, but I'd love to be considered.

Best wishes for Christmas.

Jared
2008-12-25 8:49 AM

Houston, TX

Hi Mike.  You seem to be very a popular mentor and trying to cap your group.  I also see that you have  bunch of guys in this group and must include the token girl (me).  Laughing 

About me: I've always been very athletic and worked out all my life mostly because I love to stay active.  I've done everything from weight training to kickboxing, even Taekwondo.  Last year I hurt myself in kickboxing and had to lay off the high impact stuff, so I turned to spinning as a way to keep fit.  I've fallen in love with the idea of cycling.  I've always loved the water too (I'm an avid scuba diver) although not a strong swimmer.  The only thing I've never done was running but figured I could pick that up. 

I've just learned what triathlons were this past year and thought "sure, I can do that"!  I would love to target my training towards a particular goal.  I am intrigued about the science of triathlons, how to maximize the benefits of your workouts and food consumtion into a healthy and fit body.  That seems to become more and more important to me as I age.

I'm 45 years old from Houston, divorced and an IT Project manager.  I sit around in meetings all day so I use my exercise as a welcome mental and physical relief.  I've been following a training plan I made up myself based on what I was already doing plus whatever I've learned in this site.  I hit the gym about 4 to 6 times a week depending on what's going on, swimming 2 to 3 times a week, run once or twice a week and spin about 4 to 5 times a week.  Running and swimming (although in an indoor pool) are greatly impacted by the weather (yes, I'm a cold weather wimp!).  Embarassed 

My goal is to do a few sprints this coming year.  I'm not looking to win anything.  I would just like to finish at this point and then later work on improving my time from race to race. 

Hope I make the last call! 

Sandra

2008-12-25 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1858956

Hi Mike Im Steve, 44 yo I live on Long Island. This is my first year in multi sport training and I love it.I am no stranger to training, but I do fall in and out of the training world due to life paths, ie med school and such but I think Im back for ever. During med school I gained alot of wt. I just lost 130 lbs and now Im looking for something new to conquer. I have been following the plan here for the sprint 20 week and having no problems at all, and sometime even doing extra on the workouts, I also strenght train with a trainer 2 one hr sessions a week. I am signed up for 2 races in 09, the first in April a mini spirt, the 2nd in July a sprit and the 3rd in Sept is an Oly. I hope you can find the time to help me get though this borrring winter, thanks in advance, hope to hear from you soon
2008-12-25 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Subject: RE: Mike's group closed

Whoa.  I am flattered about everyone wanting to join.  I really did only wanted to take on 5 people.  I thought that I wrote "closed" earlier, so I apologize. That is my fault.   I like the idea of the "token girl" in the group though.  It looks like SK290/ Sandra would give everyone a run for our money.  As far as Kevin, Jared, & Steve goes, I am sorry but I will have to decline.  I hope your not offended.  There are lots of other mentors lined up and will be availble for quite a while. 

So the official line up is....

Heath 34-Heath

Wiky-Rob

Pliggy-Pete

Zman265-Wayne

msurdyke-Matt

sk290- Sandra

2008-12-26 2:16 AM

User image

Oklahoma

Sweet well I am for one glad I made the cut.  And maybe I am alone in this but I'm still not exactly sure how it all works but glad to have someone with so much experience to give me some direction.  I look forward to working with everyone and making 2009 the year that I remember as a changer.

2008-12-26 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1871000

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

Hey all -

I put my goals, etc., in the blog as Mike requested.  Thought I'd also throw them in here also. 

mikep - 2008-12-24 10:31 AM

So to get  everyone  rolling I would say to first enjoy the holidays.  Eat drink and be merry, because after that, it will be time to get focused. 

In progress!

You should set yourself  long term goals.  What do you want to achive from all of this in a few years?  Then set midterm goals.  What do you want to do this summer.  Then set immerdiate term goals.  What are you going to do in the next week?

Immediate: In the middle of recovering from a stress fracture in my hip. Am on crutches until the pain is gone.  After that I'll start cycling, with running starting a few weeks after that.  In the mean time, will be trying to swim at least 5-6 hours/wk.  Goal is to work on technique and strength in the water.

Intermediate: (may need to adjust pending sfx progression)  (1) complete 1-2 sprint distance tri's in the early spring to get re-aquainted with the sport, (2) finish a HIM in June-July timeframe, (3) finish IMKY.

Long Term (2-3 yrs): Train consistently and stay healthy, participate in a few long distance events (two IM and a marathon)

Next you should pick an "A" race that you will do this summer.  One that you will focus on the most as far as training goes.  Other races are obviously fine, but this will be the one you really want to be sucessful at.

Ironman Louisville (August 30, 2009).  Goal is just to finish it, hopefully without too much pain.

From there, pick a plan from this site and work it backwords from that race date.  So a 20 week plan for a race at end of Augut means you will begin that training plan in April.  You will be "training" before this, but this will be a race specific plan.

Yet to choose a plan.

-Rob

2008-12-26 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

Alright, goals!  Way to get right on it.  They are pretty ambitious but very very doable.

As far as the purpose of this goes, I suppose each mentor has their own way of doing this.  In general it is a way to get a little more personal help from someone and to form nice group of friend who are at the same level.  I hope to save you some time in the learning curve aspects of training, nutrition, race info, equipment stuff, etc... by answering questions.  I will be giving you each some personal things and the group some things to try out from time to time based on your situations such as training tips, nutrition, injury prevention, and general inspiration.  In general I hope to help you out in any way I can and get you off and running in the right direction.

So here are some things to do (if you haven't already)... set your goals, get your training log/blog set up and start logging any workouts that you are doing.  Make comments there on how you felt during the workout, and/or before and after.  Log in the time and distances whenever you can too.  This allows me and others to look at what you are doing and to better evaluate and situations that you may have questions about.  It is also nice to see how you progress.  It's a nice esteem booster later on this summer to see how many miles you have accumulated and how much better in general you will have gotten.

As always, if you have questions, ask.  So many people here are willing to share info.  Feel free to chime in on anyones else's questions. 

2008-12-27 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
I see a few of you have started to log your workouts in your training logs.  Way to go!  This will be a big help down the road in many ways.  Also, it is an easy way to communicate personally with individuals.  If you need help setting anything up in your training log, just ask!
2008-12-27 9:30 PM

Houston, TX

I've set up my short and long term goals and updated my training log with December's activities.  The year end and holidays greatly impacted my workout schedule but I'm working hard on catching up.  I've been reading a lot on swimming and working hard on my form so I can improve on it.  Wouldn't want to drown in public...  lol

Anyways, I'm sure I didn't do the training log right.  It keeps track of activities at a much lower level of detail that I am accustomed to.  There are a couple of scheduled on line chat sessions that goes over how to set them up properly.  I signed up for them but I'm unable to find where that is.  I know that there is one tomorrow night.  If anybody finds out where that is or how to access it, please let me know.

Hope everyone had a great xmas!

Sandra Laughing 

2008-12-27 9:38 PM

Houston, TX

2008-12-28 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

Alright Sandra!  Nice workouts!!

Here is a link to some helpful stuff on setting up your logs/blogs. (log-blog it is really the same thing)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=250

If you haven't noticed already, in the top right hand coner of each daily log it says "inspire me".  If it is the color red, someone has left you a message.  Just click on it to read what they wrote.  A new window will pop up for you to see the message.  To reply to them in their blog, click on the "blog" button within that window that popped up and type away.

You can set up many friends in your blog too.  When your training log is open, look near the top left by the calender.  There is a button that is light blue with a thing that looks like a gear overlapping it.  That will open your control panel.  Opening that will allow you to change all kinds of settings.  Their is one tab labeled "friends" upon opening the friends tab, you can type in anyone's user name such as mikep and then save them as a friend.  Next time you open your blog, you'll see my picture at the bottom left.  You can click on it and it will open my blog for you to read, and post comments on.  Sounds like a bunch of work, but it isn't that hard, really.  Once your set up, your good to go.

I think we should all have each other as "friends" in their blog so it makes communication easier and makes seeing what each other is doing much easier too.

There is a lot of fun things you can do with your logs to help keep track of all kinds of stuff.  Some very helpful and some just for fun.  When you have time (ha ha ha) check out that link and play around with all the different things you can do.

2008-12-28 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1874297

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

It took me a few weeks to get the hang of the training log/blog, partly because I wasn't aware of all the features Mike just mentioned.  Now that I've got the hang of it, I find the training log to be one of the best things on BT.

2008-12-28 5:27 PM

Houston, TX

I found this article about novice swimming, where I fit in.  lol  

http://www.active.com/swimming/Articles/Structure-Drills-into-a-Beginner_s-Training-Plan.htm

I got the side kick drill from my (once) swim coach but he told me to keep my face sideways so I could breath.  I have yet to practice that but I don't quite get the shark fin kick.

"Shark fin: Start in the same position as you would for the side-kick drill. Lift your elbow on the arm closest to the surface of the water up toward the sky. Drag your hand through the water until it reaches your goggle line (or until you've made a shark fin). Slide the hand back down your body to where is started, roll onto your back, grab some air and repeat. Remember to keep your eyes looking directly at the pool bottom." 

huh?????

2008-12-29 6:48 AM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

Try this video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8X1Vr6hgmA  It is slightly different, but it gives you the right form.  Notice he is wearing fins.  Unless you can kick really good, it is hard to do this without fins.

The point of this drill is balance, form and timing.  After doing this afew times, try following through and taking a stroke. 

I like to do this and keep my head down, the turn to breath.  It is just one more thing to practice.  Swimming is so much about technique.  Hope this helps.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mike's group closed Rss Feed  

of 10