BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's Group - FULL/CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-12-16 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Dangremond's Group - FULL/CLOSED

NAME: Dangremond (Mitch)

STORY: I work in commercial banking and prior to that was an Officer in the United States Navy.  In high school and college I was an avid road cyclist.  I got away from fitness while in college and managed to get by in the Navy (the physical fitness requirements were not that tough).  As I entered my 30's I knew that I needed to get back into shape before I got too old.  Finally around 35 my wife and I joined a local fitness club and started getting back into shape.  It wasn't long after that until I got back into cycling through spinning classes and my brother-in-law convincing me to join him mountain biking.  After a year or so I got in a an exercise rut and when I learned that not all triathlons were Ironman distance I signed up for a local sprint to give myself a goal and to force myself to get out of my exercise comfort zone.  A year and few months later I have raced in 3 sprint triathlons and ran in my first half-marathon.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 children

CURRENT TRAINING: I have raced only Spint distances but plan to race an Olympic or a Half-Ironman in 2009.  Swim has been my limiter - specifically feeling completely comfortable in open water.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Raced the Big Fish Sprint Triathlon, Michigan Sprint Championships Triathlon and the Detroit Free Press Half-Marathon in 2008

2009 RACES:  Martian Half-Marathon, Big Fish Sprint Triathlon, One Helluva Ride (bicycle century ride), Sylvania Triathlon, Michigan Championship Triathlon, Detroit Free Press Half-Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost about 20 pounds and would like to lose about 10 more.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've spent a lot of time over the last year learning about triathlon training (first hand and through research/reading).  Additionally, I have experience working and motivating teams of like minded individuals from my time in the Navy.  My goal would be to keep everyone honest with regard to their plans while being supportive of the challenges we all face integrating our triathlon plans into our daily lives.

Edited by dangremond 2008-12-19 2:49 PM

2008-12-17 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1856784

Master
Subject: RE: Dangremond's Group - OPEN

Sign me up!  I'd love to be a part of your group.

Name:  hamiltks10 (Kristen)

Story:  I started a new job in September and I work for a software company located in Troy, Michigan.  However, my job requires that I travel about 80% of the time...so I live in airports and hotels.  In high school and college, I played mostly team sports including basketball, softball and ice hockey.  I've always enjoyed working out but could never seem to stick with training for more than 3 or 4 months.  I became interested in triathlons when I saw a flyer for one while at Lifetime Fitness a few years back.  I found BT online and began training two years ago....finally completing my first (and 2nd) sprint tri's last summer.

Family Status:  Living with SO

Current Training:  I LOVE swimming.  But I am having a very hard time finding pools while on the road with work...and finding the energy to get up early enough to make it to swim.  I enjoy the bike but don't focus much on it over the winter.  I HATE running.  I'm over exaggerating...but running is very hard for me for some reason and it takes a lot of energy for me to even finish a 5K.  I know the answer to this is to run more!  I just have to get my butt out there and do it.

This years races:  A few 5K's, Hawk Island Tri and Big Fish Tri

2009 Races: a few 5K's in the winter, the Oak Apple 10K in May, Hawk Island Sprint in June, hopefully an Olympic in the fall, and the Brooksie Way half mary in October (I know...I better get running now!)

Weight loss:  I need to and could probably easily lose 15lbs just by getting back to training consistently again.  I've put on some pounds this fall...blaming it on the stress of being laid off and having a lot more time to cook fabulous meals.

Other:  I've been super lazy this fall, but am hearing that little voice in my head and she's starting to send me positive vibes and motivational thoughts.  I'm ready to get at it again. 

Thanks!

2008-12-17 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1859742

User image

Master

Kristen,

Glad to have you in my group.  I imagine our paths have crossed at Life Time and certainly at Big Fish Tri this past summer.  I used to hate running as much as you profess...when in the Navy we had to take 2 fitness tests a year.  During the test you had to run 1.5 miles.  Religiously, I ran 3 miles per year when I was in the Navy.  Now, I love it.  Perhaps you can convince me to love swimming and I'll get you to love running? 

Also, I'm an early morning workout person (family is priority in evenings but my wife understands that at times (after dark usually) I'm running or heading to the gym.

I'm looking forward to working together over the next few months to jump start your next season.

-Mitch

2008-12-18 8:36 AM
in reply to: #1859742

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Room for one more?

Name:  roch1009 (Jeff)

Story:  A few years (5?) ago, after our second kid, my wife and I decided to start walking/jogging to get in better shape.  I ramped up my running too quickly which caused an old knee injury to flare up.  So, the training died down.  Then I got into an accident on the way to work, and made the decision to replace the car (an old CRX) not with another car, but with a hybrid bike.  That and a membership at the Y got me thinking about attempting a tri.  Then we moved from Seattle to Indiana, and with a new job and grad school, the tri-training took a back seat.  Got challenged by a coworker to run the Indianapolis Mini Marathon, and tried to get back in running shape.  Once again, I ramped up too much distance too quickly.  I successfully completed the mini, but my knee was virtually shredded.  Oh, and then my bike was stolen. 

Fast forward to this year: We moved down to Kentucky for a new job.  I 3-way traded our treadmill for a Trek 1500 road bike, and began training in earnest (but at a moderated pace) for my first ever tri.  (I posted after the race that I figured I was the longest standing member of BT to ever complete their first tri.)  I've continued to slowly ramp up my training since then, and am trying to firmly position myself of a solid season of healthy racing.

Family Status:  Wife (Steph) of 9.5 years, two kids (Jack(8) and Ben(6), and running partner in training, Sam (Australian Shepherd puppy)

Current Training:  I'm not currently following a plan.  It's more of a mentality at this point: Try to do SOMETHING everyday.  I try to get 2-3 swims in a week, in the mornings, and have been doing more riding (by trainer) than running.

This year's races:  My first ever tri - a sprint with an indoor swim, a 5K and just ran an 8 mile trail run.

Next year's races:  The Derby mini, a couple of sprints, and one olympic distance.

Weight loss:  Um . . . duh.  I'm sitting at 240!  That said, I've started to change the way I think about my weight.  Don't get me wrong.  I still check the scale every morning, but the goals of how much I would like to lose, and how fast it is coming off have taken a back seat to the goal of ramping up my training without injuring myself.  I figure, as the volume increases, the weight will drop off.  Or better said, "swim/bike/run it and the weightloss will come".

2008-12-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1860621

User image

Master

Jeff,

The more the merrier!  Where in Ky do you hail from?  I grew up in Oldham County before returning to my roots in Michigan.

You are right regarding the ramping up slowly.  I am taking an"overtime" approach to building up for longer distance tri's.  Olympics this year (maybe a half ironman), half ironman next year...and then maybe a full ironman in the following year.  You are also right that if you follow a consistent training plan the weight will come off!

-Mitch

2008-12-18 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1860830

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
dangremond - 2008-12-18 10:46 AM

Jeff,

The more the merrier!  Where in Ky do you hail from?  I grew up in Oldham County before returning to my roots in Michigan.

You are right regarding the ramping up slowly.  I am taking an"overtime" approach to building up for longer distance tri's.  Olympics this year (maybe a half ironman), half ironman next year...and then maybe a full ironman in the following year.  You are also right that if you follow a consistent training plan the weight will come off!

-Mitch

We live in Elizabethtown (eTown) - about 45 min south of Louisville.  Lots of fun hills to run/bike on.

2008-12-18 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran

Sign me up! I'd love to be a part of your group. I feel I could really benefit from additional inspiration

Name: New Triathloner (Grace)

Story: I was a field hockey player, swimmer and softball player in high school and have gone on to be an equestrian in college and now finally a sprint triathlon hopeful as an adult. I have always enjoyed activity and competition but not running. I have a 3-year-old daughter who is the light of my life but I gained 70 pounds during my pregnancy with her. I have struggled to lose 40 pounds since she was born and continue to work toward losing an additional 20 pounds at least. I have struggled with my weight for years. Before I became pregnant with my daughter I had maintained a healthy weight using Weight Watchers for two years. I am trying to get back to that wonderful feeling and physique I enjoyed almost four years ago. I first got back into fitness last January by beginning with my YMCA’s First Step Fitness program. I then did the Couch to 5K program and I’m now training for a 10K. I also competed in an aquathlon in October, 2008. Beyond that I am also thrilled about the prospect of completing my first sprint triathlon in 2009.

Family Status: Married with one daughter (my little genius)

Current Training: I am following various plans for various races but plan on following the week-by-week 12-week to Triathlon guide when I am 12 weeks away from my first tri. I will determine my level of fitness at that point and go from there. I plan on attending a triathlon forum in January as well. I enjoy swimming, it comes easily to me. I also enjoy running now but can’t seem to get my 5K’s below 31 minutes. Bicycling is a new sport for me, though I lived on my bike as a teenager. I fit workouts in by pulling my 30 pound little girl around in a bike trailer or picking her up at daycare with this. The cold weather has put a damper on that but I’ve been riding the stationary bikes at the local (30 minutes away!) YMCA.

This year's races:

3.5 Mile Fun Run (Holyoke,MA)

2 Mile Bridge of Flowers Run (Shelburne Falls, MA)

Jail Break 5K (Greenfield, MA) We Fit 5K (Hadley, MA)

We Fit Together 5K (Hadley, MA)

YWCA Worcester Aquathon (Worcester, MA)

The Billy Kelly Memorial 5k & 5 Mile Road Race (Mansfield, MA)

Northampton Hot Chocolate Race (12/6/2008)

2009 Races: Hangover Classic 10K (1/1/2009)

Philadelphia Women's Triathlon

(plus two other sprint triathlons?? Maybe just one…my target one is local and in August)

Weight loss: see above

Other: I’m ready to take it to the next level. Please pick me.

2008-12-18 12:16 PM

User image

Denver, NC

Name: cdymes (Chris)

STORY: 36 year old male who realized that I am that person who 20 years ago kind of snickered at.  Out of shape father of two who comes up with every excuse under the sun not to stick to a regiment.  I have completed 4 sprint tri's in my 36 years and felt awesome about them.  My issue is doing more than one race in the season, I think I get burnt out to easy.  '08 I finally start getting somewhat serious and hyperextended my knee.

Family Status: Married with 2 daughters.

Current Training: 2 Spin classes per week; started running/walking after knee....TRYING to get back into pool.

2009 Races: Looking for advice on 3 sprints finishing with half marathon year ending '09.

Weight loss: Started at 254 down to 228, now inching back up to 234 with holidays.  Looking to be at the 215 mark with my 6'3" frame.

So, can I join your group?

Thanks

Chris

2008-12-18 2:38 PM

User image

Master

Chris and Grace - thanks for your interest and I'm happy to have both of you join our group.

2008-12-18 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1861756

User image

Master

Grace - I'll do my best to help you achieve your goals and stay disciplined to your plans.  I have two daughters of my own so I appreciate your comments on your little genius. 

I will admit that my first love was cycling but overtime you will really love the other disciplines as well.

2008-12-18 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1861293

User image

Master

Chris,

I work with agroup of guys who can be pretty merciless when joking around.  It was some fun loving comments a few years ago about my physique that really got me motivated to get back in shape.  In my last season I pretty much accomplished what you are looking to do this year - so hopefully I can add value as you work on your journey.

-Mitch

2008-12-19 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Maryland

Hi Mitch,

Can I join your group?  I run 1/2 marathions, 10k's, and recently did my first dualthlon after getting into road biking?  Thanks.

Linda

2008-12-19 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1862852

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Terps421 - 2008-12-19 7:51 AM

Hi Mitch,

Can I join your group?  I run 1/2 marathions, 10k's, and recently did my first dualthlon after getting into road biking?  Thanks.

Linda

Holy cow Linda - your run volumes are out of this world!!  Consider me impressed.

And Mitch - is that clock time on your 1/2 marathon finish correct???  Wow.

2008-12-19 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1862852

User image

Master

Linda,

Glad to have you join!  Can you tell us all a bit more about yourself?  I'd love for our group to develop a team attitude where we all support one another and share in each other's goals.  Thanks!

Mitch

Edited by dangremond 2008-12-19 7:34 AM
2008-12-19 7:55 AM

New user

Name : Duffers (Avi

STORY: I was completely out of shape last year.  Around march someone posted on a local board looking for a tri training partner.  I signed up for the tri but only ended up training with him twice.  But after I finished my tri was hooked and did another one late in the summer.  However, in the second, I had a big problem with the open water/wetsuit. I freaked out when I entered the water and did a lot of doggy paddling.. It was bad! I'm looking to try and become more comfortable in the swim especially open water before my tri's this year

Family Status: Married with 2 kids.

Current Training: Beginning to get back in pool.  Swimming 1/2 a mile in about 25 minutes.  Not very fast but finishing.  Currently nursing a hip injury so i haven't been running much.  Biking will pick up in the spring

2009 Races: Looking to do two olympic during the summer. NYC in July and Nations in Sep

Weight loss: Currently 183 which is my biggest weight ever.  I think its a combination of added muscle and added fat.  Would like to get down to 168-170 range which would be awesome on my 5-10' frame..

can I please join your group?

2008-12-19 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1862934

User image

Master

Avi,

Glad to have you in the group!  You've got some nice goals for 2009 and we'll all do our best to keep you motivated to help you get there!

Mitch

2008-12-19 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1861793

User image

Veteran

Mitch,

I'm psyched to be in the group!  Thank you for accepting me.  I am currently training for a 10K on 1/1/09 and set the goal to do 80% or more of the Hal Higdon plan(wiggle room for family blunders & weather) by the finish of the race.  Should I somehow link you to my training log?

-Grace

2008-12-19 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1863077

User image

Master

Everyone should go into their control panel...link is through training log and go to their friends tab and add me and the rest of the folks in our group to their friends list.  That way you have an easy to remember link on your training log to each of our training logs.

With that in mind...everyone needs to log their training activity.  Try to also utilize the comments section and some of the qualitative options (amount of sleep, sick/healthy, etc.).  It also allows you to enter weight if you want to track that goal.

Also, I took the plunge this year and signed up as a silver member.  I'm using a couple of the BT Training plans (Winter Maintenance with a Half Marathon dropped on top of it) to guide myself this year.  If you are a paying member make sure you have your planned training logged so that I can see that as well.  We all are human and will very likely not complete all training as planned but at a minimum this will help in figuring out what everyone is trying to do, etc.

2008-12-19 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1863077

User image

Master

Grace,

I used the Hal Higdon half marathon plan for my race in the fall and it worked really well.  I too tried to complete as much as possible but remember to try to not beat yourself up too much when family or life gets in the way of the plan.  Missing a workout or two will not be the end of you and it seems that you get this!  Kudos to you!

2008-12-19 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
greensboro, NC area

Your group still says open.  I would like to join up if there's room for one more.

I am new to all of this.  Well, I have been on BT's website since September logging my exercises and getting advice, but don't plan on a Sprint Tri until late this coming Summer.

Name's Christy and I am 37 years old, married with two children and living in NC.  I work full time and usually get my workouts in after work. 

Challenges:  Living with Stage IV cancer, (but cancer free right now, yea) so I have had many surgeries.  My last one was this summer with three previous before that.  So, after chemo and recovery, my doctors have given me the green light to do thisI feel great now.  However, due to the year of down time, I have had to regroup.  I am getting back to where I was but it's been a struggle.  I don't like to run, so I make myself do it.  I am at a gym right now with no pool, but will be looking for a new gym or alternative when my 3 year membership expires next month.  I have a crappy bike right now, but husband is insistant that I get a nicer one, so will be looking early next year. 

Other than that, I have been working out consistently since September when I was given the go ahead.  I try to workout at least 5 days a week. 

Weight Challenges:  Currently trying to lose weight.  Just hit my first minor goal of 10 pounds.  30 to go.

2008-12-19 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1863589

User image

Master

Christy,

Glad to have you as well.  I think we have 7 and room for one more after you.

Mitch

2008-12-19 2:44 PM

Hi Mitch,

My name is Travis and would like to join your group.

Story: I am 19 years old and I played soccer and rugby in high school. I ran cross country and track before high school, but it wasn't challenging enough for me. After being in college for two years ive become out of shape and unmotivated to work out.

Goal: Today I've decided to set myself a new goal and enter in a triathlon. I've never competed in this type of event before and am hoping you and this team can help me acheive my goals.

I would really like to join your group and hope to have a few questions awnsered and advice on certain things.

2008-12-19 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1863889

User image

Master

Travis,

Welcome aboard....glad to have you!

I think we have 8 plus myslef so I think we will close the group to new members.

Mitch

2008-12-19 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Dangremond's Group - FULL/CLOSED

Alright - our group is officially formed and I'm excited about serving as a mentor for the prep portion of our upcoming season.  I think this is really the most important part of the season.  I believe that you have to make something a routine if you expect it to happen regularly.  That is why part of my off-season/winter goals is to finally get in the routine of swimming 3 to 4 times per week.  I'm not there yet but I will be.  So I think one of our group goals should be to focus on each of our weaknesses and find ways to overcome it.

I also have to be honest and confess that one of the reasons I chose to be a mentor is that it will force me to be honest with myself about workouts, etc.  Thanks to each of you for giving me the opportunity to serve as a mentor!

Does anyone have weekend plans for working out?  I'm scheduled to conduct a time trial on my bike tomorrow.  I will do that on my trainer.  I would also like to get to the gym to make up my swim that I missed due to weather this morning and for a short run.  Sunday I am scheduled for a long run and wish that the weather would allow me to do that outside, but I suspect I will have to run on the treadmill instead.  Boo Hiss!!!

2008-12-19 5:50 PM

User image

Denver, NC
Subject: RE: Dangremond's Group - FULL/CLOSED

I am actually still searching for my training plan.  I think I will use one that I did two years ago...it is a 14 week schedule.  My first race I plan on is a modified sprint in Valdese, NC on April 4th. It is 250 yard pool swim, 9 mile Bike, 5k run.

So I am close the 14 week mark, until then I would like to get back into the swing.  I am still a little nervous about my knee.  I am oncall this weekend and cant be to far from my house so my plan is Sat 25min walk/run followed with Sun 30 minute spin on bike with trainer.

I have been looking for some good core excercises to do at home.  Any advice??

I am pretty excited in starting for this year.  Also want to say good luck to the group.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's Group - FULL/CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10