BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Opiejoe's Group-closed & staying on page one!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2008-12-17 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Opiejoe's Group-closed & staying on page one!!

Opiejoe aka Ricky 36 yo

Paid firefighter-work 24/48. Married to my wife of 15 years w/ an awesome daughter (8yo). Tri's have become a way of life for my family. I just finished year 3 & my wife finished year one. We run lots of local running races & enjoy training together. We adopted a healthy lifestyle and never looked back.

I am currently training for the New Orleans 70.3 & IMKY in 2009. Will run several local races with my wife also.

When I started racing 2.5 years ago I was 220 pounds and very unhappy with my body. I currently tip the scales at 165 & feel better than I ever imagined.

I welcome anyone with a desire to train hard-but also be able to laugh at yourself. I made alot of mistakes starting off & feel like I can offer real-world advice. I have competed up to the 70.3 distance.I average finishing in the top 10-15% in local sprints. Would love to have a very active group that will support each other as the season begins. I am a Christian & feel strongly that God & family come first. But Tri's will always be more important than work!!!Smile

Edited by opiejoe 2009-01-16 6:42 PM

2008-12-21 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1859239

User image

New user

Washington State
Subject: RE: Opiejoe's Group-Open

Hi Ricky,

If you're reading this, it means I finally quit deleting and started typing. I've backed out of this page 5 times already! Here goes nothing.

My name is Danna and I am 38 yeas old and married to my soulmate with 4 beautiful children (ages 14,10,4 and 1). Last spring as was struggling with health issues (ie: overweight from 4 pregnancies and verging on diabetic) I had a friend challenge me to enter the Danskin Tri (Sprint) in Seattle. I trained with her for 12 weeks and surprised myself by finishing in 1:49:20. I felt good about that. Now, I'm on dr. prescribed workouts 6 days a week. Being the competitive type, I figured I might as well stay with tris since I had a good time and found out that I'm a pretty okay swimmer.

After reading through the bios, I found yours most appealing because I'm going to make a million mistakes and I need someone who can laugh about them. I also put God and my family before all-- especially work! :-) I also like the fact you know what it feels like to be overweight. My difficulties are motivation and finding time to workout. My goal is to get into shape, lose the weight and do 3-4 sprints (maybe 1 olympic dist.?) this summer. I want to complete a HIM in 2010, just before I turn 40.

I would be grateful if I could join this group and have you mentor me. I am not a hardcore, professional, but, a determined beginner who's looking for support.

-Danna

2008-12-21 7:56 PM

New user

Edited by 1019cloughp 2008-12-21 10:58 PM
2008-12-22 5:47 AM

User image

Veteran

You are in !!!! We will have a great time. I want you to decide on a race for late Spring/early Summer. We'll get started once we fill up & training starts Jan 1stSurprised We will train realistic (not setting goals unreasonably high) but I want the best our group/you can accomplish!!

2008-12-22 8:17 AM

User image

Hi ya my name is Duncan

I'm from over the pond in the UK!

I have been involved with tri for several years and have previously trained up to 70.3 2 years ago.
I recently got married this year and have just bough our first propery but I feel I cant find motivation to get out and munch up some miles!??

I run a gym and have never had trouble motivating myself but feel that getting involved with a mentor programme will help, I have focused on 2 olympic distance races for next year in July and August so that is the key with at leat 2 sprint races also on the claneder ahead of this dates.

I have learnt that tri can be a funny beast and that laughing hard at youir self is important part of training.
I have recently been diagnosed of as suffering from stress and depression so I need some hlep to kick the bucket of this habit and you my man look like the just the fella to help me, so wha say you??

Duncan
2008-12-22 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
I say WELCOME..you are in!! I myself deal with life/death decisions every third day. Think I can help out with the STRESS issues. Focus on some realistic goals for the Spring/Summer. We will begin group discussion when we are full. Get ready to have fun-but BEWARE-we might have to actually train some!!

2008-12-22 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran

Once our group is full, we will begin by starting out with a hard look at where we are & where we want to be in 3-4 months. I will post some specific questions soon, so enjoy the Holidays & get ready for 2009 aka Your best racing year ever!!!!!!

PS-don't feel guilty in having some extra treats this week. It's Christmas-EnjoyLaughing

2008-12-22 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1867070

User image

Thanks for letting me join your group opiejoe.

Look forward to starting, I have just been swimming with a group at our local pool we are involved with a swimathon in the new year and we are taking the build up pretty seriously, although our racing dives were amazingly funny with some huge plumes of water being thrown skyward! i think we need practise!!

I will look forward to new year and starting to munch up some training with our team!!
GO team Opiejoe!!
2008-12-22 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi, my name is Art

I'm 44 years old and live in eastern PA with my wife of 23 years. I just got involved in tri's last year to give my knees a little bit of a break from running.

I'm signed up for two sprints right now with hopes for an oly and HIM in the fall if I can work up to it.

I'm carrying about 20 extra pounds right now that I should be able to drop before spring with some consistant training and watching my diet. I've been able to finish races (a couple of marathons). I'm looking forward to better my times.
2008-12-22 8:28 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Opiejoe

I would like to join the group if you still have room.

Status: Married Father of Five ages 13-4. Wife Kristi of 17 years. Oh yeah I turn 40 tomorrow.

Occupation: Police Officer 10 years/Prior USMC Live in Monmouth, Oregon

I am a former college football player that still looks more like a linebacker than a triathlete. However, I don't let that stop me. My nickname is the White Buffalo(from College and coworkers found out) so while I may not be fast I can endure for a while. I am currently 6'1" and weigh 226 lbs. down from 253 about 5 months ago. I think my best race weight would be around 190.

I like the idea of a mentor program for two reasons. First is accountability. I would like to get with a group that wants to know if I'm doing my training and then shames me when or if I don't. Secondly, is to share a common experience with others who also struggle to balance life, work, and mid life crisis like me. Some people buy fast cars I choose to do triathlons. Lastly, to get training ideas and advice also.

Anyway, I have bitten off a bunch for this year. I am doing the California 70.3, Eugene Half Marathon, Boise 70.3, Lake Stevens 70.3 plus Ironman Arizona.

I was in Tempe for this years Ironman and decided I had to do it. If you ever get a chance you will be very motivated to be at the finish line of an Ironman event at midnight. This is my mid life crisis and my wife said yes so here I am. I also prioritize my life with God, Family, and then everything else and will not let triathlon change that but have noticed the more I train and the better physically I feel the closer to God I feel. Has anyone else noticed that?

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know everyone in the group and to go through their year with them.
2008-12-22 10:51 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: ---

Edited by WittyCityGirl 2008-12-22 10:58 PM

2008-12-22 11:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, TX
Would also like to join the club....

My name is Daryl and this will be my 3rd year of tri's. I have loved every minute of training for sprints and oly distances. This will be my first year to train for the BFSL 70.3 as well as Ironman Canada come August.

I'm 26 and work full time for a telco / data hardware provider. It is just my wife and I (for now, hope to change that in 2009) and she is currently just getting into running. My biggest tri achievement thus far was being able to complete Escape from Alcatraz in 2008. I look forward to the challenges of 2009 as well as trying to get some of my friends to try cycling or even a sprint tri.
2008-12-22 11:44 PM

User image

My name is James and I been  married now for 8 years and have twin boys (7Y/O).  I found myself getting fatter with each year, so I figured I was not doing anything to help my competitive nature, so why not give Triathlons a go. I have done two sprint distances andin 08', I am now 100% hooked and love it. I currently weigh 210lbs. and am wanting to get down to 190 before the season gets into full swing. I do have several races I am planning on doing, and am doing the run focused winter maint plan. I am an Army Pilot and have to really make the best of my time balancing Family, Career, and Triathlon's. I have a very supportive command and family with my traithlon endeavors.  I am looking for a team I can learn and grow with. I am looking to improve my sprint time and to increase my distance by the end of the 09' season. I will more than likely be deploying again this next winter, so I am in need to make the most of my time home. Thank you for yoir time.
2008-12-23 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran

I don't think I could have hand-picked a better group-really I mean that!! Everyone is in that posted above. We will take a few more & then get started.

I only ask that everyone be prepared for lots of interaction & motivation. I prefer a group who really will hold each other accountable. We all will establish Jan-Mar goals & we WILL accomplish OUR GOALS TOGETHER.

PS-My pool is closed for two weeks & I'm going through withdrawals. I even ate a piece of cake last night at a family partyEmbarassed

2008-12-23 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1869003

User image

Cake is fine, will help you float mate!!

Big hello to all our group, am looking forward to sharing some training with you all in hte new year, what a great way to look forward to 2009 in our opiejoe group!
2008-12-23 10:41 AM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Ricky

Today happens to be my 40th bday so I know I'm going to blow it. My wife is making me Eggs Benadict which is my favorite breakfast and then out to dinner tonight. Tuesday a.m. is my weigh in day so I've already weighed in so I have 6 days to burn all of this off. Merry Christmas to everyone.

Oh, and by the way, she surprised me with a trip to Puerto Vallarta in February so that will be nice too. A little warm weather running for the week.

2008-12-23 10:59 AM

Ricky,

If you still have room I would love to begin this trek that I have put off for so long.  I have local friends that have been trying to get me to begin Tris, mostly sprints.  They tell me once I have done one I am hooked. 

I am 42 married and have 2 kids a boy 16 and girl 12.  I have gained quite a bit of wieght the last 2 years(30) due to change in careers.  I am ready to get back to the point when I felt healthy and good about myself.  So if there is room I am committed!

2008-12-23 11:05 AM

User image

New user

Washington State

Happy 40th Greg!

I was glad to hear you guys are living a little. I allowed myself a hot chocolate cocnut rum with cheese and crackers last night. Not sure how much alcohol has in the way of calories since it's not a common part of my food intake. Oh well, I weighed this morning and was 2 pounds down.

Can't wait to get started!

2008-12-23 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran

You're in Boomer & Happy 40th to Greg.

Looks like we will have all distances covered with our group.

Need just a few more folks.............

2008-12-23 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1869571

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN

I would like to join up! 

My name is Josh and I am 33 years old.  I have been married for eight years and have a 2yo daughter.  This will be my second year of triathlons.  In 2008 I completed 1 olympic, 3 sprints, 1 half marathon and 1 full marathon.  For the 2009 season, I am looking at 2 olympics, multiple sprints and the Louisville Ironman.

I am by know means fast, but enjoy the training and the competition.  I will need plenty of motivation for the IM in August. I just recently picked up a new Cervelo S1 but can't ride it because I also have a broken wrist and will be out of commision for the next 5 weeks.

I look forward to meeting all of you and sharing stories, tips and motivation.

2008-12-23 5:13 PM

I would like to join the group if i could...

I'm 29 and own a personal training business and just getting in to triathlons actually my first one is an indoor sprint next month... I plan doing an olympic distance this summer...

I'm 6'4 and 240 which I realize isn't the right size for a triathlete but i'm super competive and x college basketball player

2008-12-23 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Opiejoe's Group-Full

With Josh & Acefitness we are FULL. We will begin our training on Jan 1st. I really need everyone to keep accurate logs at the start of the year. During the next week I will be asking some specific questions to better understand each of your goals. Some may sound dumb-but I promise there is a reason for each.

Question #1-What will be your first race of the season?

Question #2-In triathlon, where can you gain the most improvment in the coming 3-4 months?

Question #3-What motivates YOU. I mean really motivates YOU to set a goal & follow through with it?

2008-12-23 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran

I guess I should answer my questions.

#1- my first of 2009 will be New Orleans 70.3

#2-I always need to run faster (been really working on my running this off-season)

#3-I love to see how hard/far I can push myself without blowing up-we will talk about this real soon (aka Florida 70.3 2008)Embarassed

2008-12-23 9:26 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon

My first race of the season will be California 70.3

Question #2-In triathlon, where can you gain the most improvment in the coming 3-4 months?

The most improvement will come with the bike. I am improving on my run and have run several half marathons in the past few months so the bike needs to catch up to the run.

Question #3-What motivates YOU. I mean really motivates YOU to set a goal & follow through with it?

I think in the end it is completely internal. I enjoy the side effects of setting a good fitness example for the kids, coworkers, etc. etc. but for me it is completely self driven desire to see what I am capable of doing.
2008-12-23 9:33 PM
in reply to: #1870352

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN

My first race of 2009 will be either the Rebelman Indoor sprint in March or the Memphis in May Olympic depending on when I get my cast off

Definitely the bike for me.  I am slow runner, but can make the distances.  Improving the bike will allow me to be as comfortable as I can be to star the run. 

Question #3-What motivates YOU. I mean really motivates YOU to set a goal & follow through with it?

I like simply seing what I can make myself do.  To accompany that, staying healthy for my family is another huge motivator.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Opiejoe's Group-closed & staying on page one!! Rss Feed  

of 9