BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's sufferers- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2008-12-18 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: cayrip's sufferers- FULL
NAME: cayrip / Cameron

STORY: I'm a glutan for punishment. I enjoy training long or training hard. I am a triathlete, runner, father, husband, wildlife biologist (I've been known to stop during a race to help a snake off a road and I keep track of all the snakes I see running and biking- you would be amazed at what most people never see), and wannabe bike mechanic (someday I'll go to Barnett's). I am a lover of life but often forget to see the big picture as I get stressed out by work.

I have completed sprint, olympic, HIM and IM triathlons. My favorite distance is HIM but olympics are growing on me as I learn to go faster and love the pain (good pain) associated with flying on the bike and run (all relative though as I am still slow!)

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to a female triathlete and have three boys (6, 4, 1), 2 male dogs and 2 male cats (indoor only--see wildlife biologist above and don't ask me what I think about outdoor cats if you are sensitive)...my wonderful wife puts up with a lot of testosterone.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train 8-10 hours per week under ideal situations but lately I've had trouble getting 4 hours in (deadlines at work). I train early in the morning before most even consider waking up. I am currently training for a marathon and plan to compete in at least one (hopefully two) HIM this summer. I build my own plan based on my experience, advice from "serious" friends, and the many, many books I own. My weakness is swimming with speed since I really don't enjoy the pool so I never train enough in the water.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did the Boulder 5430 race series in 2008 and IM Louisville in 2007.

2009 RACES: Olathe, KS marathon (I have not run a marathon in two years(other than in an IM) and feel I need to get back in touch with what got me active after many years of drinking beer depressed). I have not identified any triathlons yet other than helping my wife prepare for her first HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I do have weightloss goals as I want to lose 20 lbs so I can race faster. I struggle with my diet but not the workouts so I know how to fix (lose) my weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been there. I've been a beginner and now I am a Ironman (twice). I have 5 years of training, competing, sharing my experience for triathlons. This is what will make me a good mentor. I am also in a stage in my life where I want to pass on more and impact other people's lives. I can provide motivation to most situations as I have likely been there in some form. I have struggled with my weight and my active lifestyle has helped me refocus my stress and depression into completing goals as difficult or easy as triathlon. I love to teach---just get me in the woods and I'll start spewing out what I know. This love/passion will be easily transferred to my desire to help other achieve their triatthlon goals.

Edited by cayrip 2009-02-13 10:12 AM

2008-12-22 12:51 AM
in reply to: #1861368

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: cayrip's group - OPEN

NAME: Taylor

STORY: I am also a Wildlife biologist, or am educating myself to become one!  Currently working on my master's in biology (herpetology emphasis). 6'2 190 pounds I enjoy pushing my limits and my breaking point, which is what interests me about triathlons.  I am thrilled to find someone else who notices all the snakes that crawl across the road (even tho my specific research emphasis is amphibians I dabble with the other herps and mammals).  I have a fairly athletic background, lots of sports through highschool, currently play competitive ultimate frisbee for the university, and I am backpacking enthusiast (althought I wish I could get out and do this more).  I have also always been a strong swimmer and feel completely comfortable in the water. 

I have never entered into any distance race.

FAMILY STATUS: Currently I live alone with school, research, and teaching consuming most of my attention.  Unfortunately my research does come first above my training.  My girlfriend likes to think she comes second though

CURRENT TRAINIG: Currently I am running about 3 times a week (3-4 miles at the moment).  I had worked my way up to about 6 miles a run session in the fall, but developed tendonitis in my right achilles after an Ultimate frisbee tournament and had to stop all running for about 3 weeks.  I also swim about 3 times a week, usually close to a mile total in each session varying different drills.  I am visiting the parents for the holidays but normally I will swim with the master's swimmers and coach twice a week as well. Biking is where I am lacking currently, my POS 60 dollar walmart special mountain bike fell apart on me.  Over the holidays I plan to purchase an actual road bike so I can begin the cycling portion of my training.  My weaknesses are cycling obviously since I don't have a bike at the moment, swimming for speed/ although I am a confident swimmer and it is my favorite part of the training so far.  My running issues are mostly boredom and staying motivated, I feel my body can do more then I seem to allow it to.

2009:  I hope to compete in at least one maybe two sprints early in the season and then definitely an olympic in late spring/early summer.  I am not ruling out the possibility of a HIM in 2009 as well. I am a lanky fellow so weight loss is not really an issue, I do however enjoy weight training as well and constantly am trying to increase my over all fitness. 

2008-12-22 11:44 AM

User image

NAME: Alexander

STORY: I just graduated from college (last week) with a BA in International Management and a BS in International Economics.  I'm 23 years old and have been racing motorcycles professionally since I was 18.  I have always trained for racing motorcycles but then I was exposed to the Ironman.  I enjoy pushing myself beyond what most people believe, the more blood, sweat and tears the better!  I just happened to be in Idaho for the IM in 2004 and was struck by the people finishing the race.  I said to myself, "I can do that" and last year made a pact with my best friend to complete the 2009 AZ Ironman.

FAMILY STATUS:  I'm not married, but have a wonderful girlfriend who is nothing but motivation.  She is the one kicking my butt to get out of bed in the morning and go running.  My family is completely supportive in my goals and will be there for me on race day.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm currently running about 10 miles every-other day, in the 175bpm range, and riding my bike on the off days around 40 miles of pretty hilly terrian.  Most weeks I take one day off of training, sometimes two.  My biggest concern with IMAZ is the swim, I played water polo but I haven't been in a pool in a while.  I really need to work on my swimming.

2009 RACES:  Carlsbad Marathon: Jan 25th.  February 21: USCD Tritonman.  Pasadena Triathlon: March 14th.  May 25th: LA Marathon

Ironman Arizona: November 22nd

WEIGHTLOSS: I have no weight loss goals.  I'm 6', 155 lbs, I think dropping anymore would be a bad thing.

WHAT I HOPE TO GAIN FROM THIS:  I want to get all the inside tips on training, preparing and racing an Ironman.  I know the devil is in the details when it comes to racing.  

2008-12-23 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

NAME: vibratingp00/ Dave

STORY: Im 26 years old.  I played baseball in college, but since graduating havent had a great source for my competitiveness.  I never did much endurance workouts, stayed more in the weight room.  When my girlfriend (she ran track in college) blew out her knee, I started swimming and riding the bike with her as shes working her way back to running last summer.  Since then, Ive found that I enjoy these workouts, so Im taking the leap into triathlons.  This coming year will be the first time that I will have been in any competitive races.

I like the “gluten for punishment” comment.  That’s how I played baseball (would hit until my hands bled) and that’s part of the reason why I cant play anymore.  Even though this is my first season racing, I have high expectations for myself.  While I don’t plan on winning, I’m looking to put up some good times and this group seems like a good fit.

FAMILY STATUS:  I live on my own on Long Island, NY.  I work full time as a software engineer and am going to school for my MBA (will graduate this year).  I also have my previously mentioned girlfriend who is working back from her major knee surgery and a turtle named Booger.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Right now, Im working on my swimming the most because I don’t have great technique.  I get to the pool 3-4 times a week and swim around 2000 yrds per session.  Im getting help with my swimming from a friend who swam in college and comes out to the pool every couple of weeks.  Im most comfortable on the bike and ride a couple times a week, usually between 20-25 miles total.  I also run a couple times a week, not more than 15 miles total.  I plan on picking up the running starting in January.

2009 RACES:  My big race will be the NYC Triathlon (Olympic) on July 26th.  I will do some sprints before then.  Not sure what I will do after, probably find some more Olympic distance races.  I will also be running in multiple races this summer for a work team. 

WEIGHTLOSS:  Im not specifically looking to lose any weight.  Im 6’1’’, 180lbs.  I will probably drop some weight before racing though.

2008-12-23 10:57 AM

New user

STORY:  I have been an athlete all my life, but nothing like this.  I watch the IM in Kona every year and hope to someday be there.  In order to someday get there, I need to start doing something, and now is the time.  I am going to be competing in a short sprint Tri in March (reverse - 5k run, 15k bike and 150 meter pool swim), signing up for the Mud Run at Camp Pendelton this summer, and then plan to do the sprint Tri at Camp Pendelton in August.

FAMILY STATUS:  I am married but have no children.  I am fortunate to have a wife who encourages my participation in Tri's and may even attempt to do them herself. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  Right now I am working out 5-6 days a week.  I have no real training program, but am looking for a good one.  I checked out the Couch Potato to Beginner Triathlon on this site and that looks like it might work (any suggestions would be appreciated).  I have not gotten into the pool yet, but plan to at the beginning of the year.

2009 races:  As I said before, March short sprint tri, Mud Run 10k this summer and the Camp Pendelton sprint tri in August.

WEIGHT LOSS:  I hope to lose anywhere from 10-15 pounds through my training, though weight loss is not my main goal.  I am currently 5'10" and weigh about 185.  I would not mind staying at the same weight and having the fat become muscle and become more lean.  Weight loss is secondary to the goal of challenging myself to do something I am a little scared of, a lot excited about and overall been wanting to do for a long time.

Thanks.

Edited by mhollis 2008-12-23 11:57 AM
2008-12-23 12:14 PM

User image

New user

NAME:  Stephanie

STORY:  I'll be 22 in January, 5'9'' 150lbs and I live in Chicago, currently working on an undergrad bachelor's in biology at DePaul University and bartend on the side for cash$$.  I'm shooting for an internship at the shedd aquarium this summer and hope to get into marine mammal training, which may very well be a souped up title for dolphin trainer.  Thus, after the chicago tri and one more semester at school, I plan to move to california and pursue my dream!!!  But back on topic,  I enjoy tri's and have been doing them the past three years, but have been training solo.  I've only done sprint tri's, about five?  And my times have been improving, however they are too short and I want more ; )  I finished top 5 in 06 and with a better time, top ten in 07, both in my age group.  I feel like with the interest I have at this age and what I have accoplished thus far, I could really do well with some help!  My mom got me into them and now I train on my own at the school gym and on the lakeshore bike path and in lake michigan in the summer.  I'd like to compete in an olympic this year and possibly a half iron-man next year.  I would love to race in a few, but unfortunately the broke college student status will probably only get me into 2 races tops and hopefully a pair of clipless pedals and shoes.  I currently race my mom's old school cannondale, from the 80's probably but it's quick!  I swam growning up so my swim is decent, my run is alright, my bike is probably my week link.  I would love to tap into your experience and techniques since you have accoplished so much thus far, kudos by the way.  And appreciate you taking time out to share your experiences and knowledge with others...

FAMILY STATUS:  I currently don't have a significant other (which does my training wonders I'm sure) and my family lives in a suburb half hour outside the city.  Two younger brothers and an older sister, none of which have found a swim-bike-run race as enjoyable as myself ; )

CURRENT TRAINING:  I have migrated back to the suburbs for the holiday season and prior to this, had been in brazil for two weeks with a professor and group of students, thus my training has been at a hault.  Typically I swim 2-3 times a week, from 1-2 miles, run 2-3 times a week for 20 minutes to an hour, maybe 2 1/2 to 5 miles.  Bike, ehh, lacking?  Maybe once a week....I enjoy riding a real bike, not stationary bikes at the gym so i'm hoping to get a bike trainer so i can chug away in my apartment, BUT maybe for 45 minutes to an hour, maybe 15-20 miles.  Some ellip stuff and I weight train probably 2x a week, and free weight exercises once or twice a week.  I was thinking about picking up one of the free training sessions on this website??  a 20 week olympic distance schedule, with each leg worked 3x.   I also do bikram yoga, its hott stuff, like 105 degrees... but i've been slacking.

2009:  Definately the chicago olympic, a local sprint and another olypic in IN.  We'll see if mom and dad wanna help the funding ; )

GAIN:  I am hoping to develop more knowledge in training, eating and scheduling, and see improvements in my time.  I hope to really start building up my endurance so I can compete in a HIM next year....and I think you can help me ; )

Edited by sjtauber2387 2008-12-23 12:19 PM

2008-12-23 1:12 PM

User image

NAME: Josh

STORY: I am 29 years old, married, with a 2-year old daughter who consumes most of my time.  I work as a project manager for a construction company.  Grew up playing sports and love the outdoors.  I've always thought it would be fun to complete a triathlon and decided several months back that 2009 was the year that I'd finally do it.

CURRENT TRAINING: I enjoy lifting weights and playing basketball.  I play in a pretty competitive mens league league once a week.  Generally I take our 4 year old yellow lab for a 2 mile run 3 or 4 times a week.  Other than that I have no specific training plan although I would love to find one.  I have a mountain bike that I bought a year ago.  I've been riding it on the road mostly though.  My thought is that I'll try a few sprint triathlon's to see how I like them and then consider purchasing a road bike.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Nothing really other than a few local 5k's.

2009 RACES:  I plan to do two sprint triathlons that are held in the midlands of South Carolina.

WEIGHT LOSS:  My weight is in pretty good shape.  I'm 6'4" and weigh right around 205 lbs.  I do want to tighten up my midsection.  I think I could correct that pretty easily if I would eat a more healthy diet and quit drinking so much beer on the weekends.  Both are goals of mine to work on in 2009!!

GOALS:  Participate in and complete my first sprint triathlon.  Right now I'm totally lost.  Don't know exactly what to expect or where to start but look forward to the process of figuring it all out.   

2008-12-23 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Hi Cameron, I would like to join your group. It sounds like you have been there, done it and can help me reach my goals this year.

NAME Bob/bvfrompc

STORY I am 44, 6'2". saw 260pounds five years ago and realized it was time to get in shape. I have dabbled with Triathlon's for 4-5 years now, usually a few Sprint races each year. We moved back to Colorado from Park City UT 2.5 years ago and I have only done a few races since moving back. Last year I signed up for and almost completed the Kansas 70.3. Lightening shut down the race just as I was finishing the first half of the run. Had I been allowed to finish it would have been close to a 7hr half which was much slower than I had hoped for. I have had a number of run set backs including calf pulls and Planter Facititis that has severly limited the amount of miles I have been able to run. I am looking for a group to bounce ideas off of, get a sense of community and make some friends.

FAMILY STATUS I am married to a woman that last year, in her first year in multi-sport, won the overall Mile-High duathlon series championship for the Athena division, so I am a humble man. She is a runner who is learning to road bike. My 6yr old boy did his first and second tri's last summer (Parker and Boulder Kids tris) and my 4yr old daughter did her first one at the Boulder Kids tri. So the sport is a family affair.

CURRENT TRAINING I am just starting a beginner running program that I got off slowtwtitch, baby steps and being very careful to take it sloooooowly. I am am also signed up for a beginner Track program at the new velodrome in Boulder that starts in January and goes 8 weeks. I will compliment the track with indoor rides 2-3 times a week until Feb/Mar. I have also gotten back in the pool the past couple of weeks after staying dry since the HIM in June.

THIS PAST YEAR'S RACES Besides the HIM in June, I did the Barking Dog duathlon with my wife for fun. After the letdown of the HIM I had no interest in training or racing and spent the summer riding for "fun." I did do 5 of the Boulder TT series races in the build up to the HIM.

2009 RACES - I plan on the 3 Duathlon Series races, a Sprint Early TBD, Lake to Lake Oly Tri mid-summer, and the Harvest Moon in Sep. Any ideas on a good early season Sprint would be welcome. I would also like to do some of the early season cycling road races.

WEIGHT LOSS - I have been hovering around 230 +/- 5 for a couple of years now, I could do much better if I could get down to 210-215 so that is also one this year's goals.

GOALS - Consistency with training, eating right, and maintaining a good balance with training and the family.
2008-12-25 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
NAME: Karen

STORY: I started running in my early 30's and became obsessed with marathons. After several injuries I decided to give triathlons a whirl and fell in love. Running is not something that has ever been easy for me. I am much better at swimming and biking, so the combo of the three is a great fit for me and the variety of cross training works much better for me and my bones!

I have only done triathlons for two years, mostly sprint distance. I did one olympic distance tri last year and loved it (even though there was a huge torrential storm while on the bike!). I plan to do more sprints and a few olys in 2009 and have a goal of completing my first HIM in 2009 as well.

FAMILY STATUS: I am 43, married and have an 18 year old son. We have 3 female dogs, one that is a great running partner. My husband does not do triathlons...yet anyway. I'm still working in that.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently running about 4 to 5 times a week, averaging about 25 to 35 miles a week. I bike whenever I can, and try to do Spinerval DVD's in the basement when I can't get outside. Biking is by far my favorite workout. I have not been in the pool in a couple of months.

2009 RACES: Chattanooga Oly, several local sprint distances, ING Half Marathon Atlanta, and possibly HIM Augusta, GA.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose about 20 pounds, it would help running feel easier I think. I know how to eat good, I just need to get a training plan going because that always motivates me to eat better.

If you still have room in your group I would love to learn from you. Nutrition & hydration are something I think I could do better with for improved training. Any advice, training plans, etc. that can help me achieve my goal of a HIM would be greatly appreciated.
2008-12-25 6:03 PM

Hi Cameron, My name is Steve,

Im 44 yo and new to the multisport life and lovin it. I always had a wt problem up and down on the wt all my life. Over the last 2 years I have lost 130 lbs and I am now looking to conquer something new in my life. I have 3 races planned for this year coming up, the first one is a mini sprint in April the 2nd is a sprint in july and the 3rd is an Oly in sept. I have been following the plans on this website for the 20 week sprint and I have been adding to the work outs alittle. My ultimate goal keeps changing the more I train, its now to do a HIM in 2010. I would be thankful for any help you could give me, and thank you for choosing to be a mentor. If you will be my mentor, I cant figure out were to find you agian on this website please help??? Thanks in advance.

2008-12-25 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

NAME: Joel

STORY: Last year on kind of a random choice to change things up in my life I asked my fiancee for a bike for my birthday (June) so i could ride my bike to the train station instead of have to fight for a parking spot.  She got me one and after a month or two of riding I decided that I would give a Supersprint triathlon a try.  I was completely addicted and afterwards decided i wanted to be more hardcore and train more aggresively for sprint and olympic distance races in 2009.

My background is in swimming and I could use a lot of improvement in my bike endurance/speed and my running strength.  I like to ride my bike to commute still (Weather permitting) and since the holidays have hit i've totally fallen off my workout routine.   I'd like to get back into it as strong as i was before I moved in my new apartment in November.  I haven't seen the pool since and have ran just a little bit more than i've swam.

FAMILY STATUS: I am engaged and have a cat and a dog.  They are the closest things i have to kids/outside commitments.  My parents are very strong in their support for me.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently off training right now aside from maybe once a week half hour on the trainer.  My goal is to train for the olympic distance so here is what i WAS doing... 6 days a week, m: swim 45min tue: bike 60min wed: run 3.2mi thu: bike 60min/swim45min fri: off sat: 20~mi bike ride sun: misc weight training (strength / plyo).  I'm pretty much equating my time on the bike from distance to minutes on the trainer - at least the treadmill gives me a distance.

2009 RACES: So far i'm registered for the Chicago Triathlon, and I plan on doing the Naperville Sprint, Batavia Sprint, and Lake Geneva Half Iron as a swim portion of a relay.  Also planning on doing the beginning half of RAGBRAI in Iowa.  And hopefully a century near the end of the season.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose about 5 more pounds of body weight but would like to lose fat and up muscle mass.  I lost 15lbs last year and my bike speed increased dramatically.  I'd like to walk around at 175lbs w/ 10% body fat.  That is my ideal.  I fear anything less than 10% will affect how I swim.

Big for me to learn is nutrition.  It sounds like you're a pretty busy professional as am I and trying to fit my training into a tight schedule is very important.  Luckily my pool has a late night swim which is VERY convienent.  Also big for me is how to improve my bike trainer riding to maximize my workout.  I still have a few upgrades to my road bike to make it more tri ready (aero bars/shoes for clipins).  Once i start training full time again (hopefully next week or this weekend) i will start logging my workouts.

Edited by jtaddei 2008-12-27 10:21 PM

2008-12-26 11:54 AM

User image

Vancouver, BC

NAME: Hughe

STORY: I got hooked last year when a buddy I use to work with told me about triathlons, we signed up for one and then he bailed at the last minute.  I trained hard for it and wasn't about to bail.  Glad I didn't.  It was amazing!!  I love sports! Swam competatively for years, scuba diver, rock climber, soccer player, you name the sport.  Love em all!!  When I started training for my first triathlon I was choked I hadn't discovered the sport years before.                                                                                                                                                                           I am 31, and two years ago after being a Chef for 9 years I decided that I needed a job that was more family focused and a better life style.  I left cooking and worked to get onto the fire department.  I have been on since October.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 5 years and my wife Karyn and I have just had a baby girl (Stella).   We have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever who loves to run with me!!                                                                                                                                                               CURRENT TRAINING: I train right now about 6 hours a week.  Either weights in the gym, swimming or running.  In the better weather I bike to work.                                                                                                                                                                                                   Races: This year I want to do three olympic triathlons.   

2008-12-27 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: cayrip's group - FULL
Hi team...sorry I haven't been able to respond...vacation with the family. I'll take time tomorrow to read through everyone's story and get some inspires in. Until then...Keep training and HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Cameron
2008-12-27 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

NAME: dbw27

STORY: I recently lost 186 pounds over the past 19 months through eating healthy (WW mostly) and exercise.  I exercise 6-7 days/week and found that I LOVE IT.  I struggled with depression for a long time, which is how I ballooned up so much and frankly, didn't care that I was obese.  Now that my depression is being managed, I find myself a lot happier and trying new things.  I love health, fitness, and exercise, and am now self studying to become a personal trainer.  People often say I inspire them (whether or not I do.)  Hmm.. :-)

This past summer, due to my committment to diet and exercise, I called a sports nutritionist to see if I could get some advice (I was training ~15 hours/week on my own just because I loved it and wanted to continue to lose weight/body fat).  The nutritionist on the phone said, "Why do you need to see a sports nutritionist? Are you training for a triathlon or something?"  I said, "No."  She said, "Well, then you don't really need a sports nutritionist."  After that I thought, "Why AREN'T I training for a triathlon?  I love swimming and biking - I just have to learn the running."  I investigated tris, talked to some people and signed up for the NYC 2009 triathlon. 

I figured that I needed help as, although i weight train and do a lot of cardio on my own (kickboxing, treadmill running, spin, swimming, etc.), I did not know how to do a tri specifically.  Therefore, I looked into and signed up with Team in Training since they teach you all of the form and technique and facilitate your training for Free! And you get to do all of this for a really great cause at the same time.  Seemed perfect so I signed up.  That means I'm also now doing a Spring Triathlon in addition to the summer NYC Tri.  I plan to do the Avia Wildflower in California.  I am told it is killer hard, however, my family is in California and if I do that one, they would all come see me to cheer me on - which could mean a lot for the first tri.

FAMILY STATUS: I am a single female.  I wish I had a family, but, do not.  I think this is due to the previous morbid obesity.  Now that I look great (size 4/size 6) and am working on washboard abs, maybe this will change. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I train 12-15 hours/week on average (barring snow and ice - thinking of getting a Wii Fit for snow/ice emergencies).  I do kickboxing, weight training 4x/week, spinning, jogging, swim 3 miles/week (this is my strongest), walk ~100 blocks+/week, and do aerobics.  If I do not train, I feel like crapp and this does not help when one is managing depression.  I need the endorphins.

2009 RACES: Potentially Avia Wildflower and signed up for NYC Triathlon

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose 5 pounds in order to get my body fat down to 19-20%.  Currently it is at 22.5% (or it was before I embarked on the Christmas vacation that I am currently on with family.)  Hard to maintain strict eating and sport when on vacation but am still managing to go to a guest gym.

I would like advice and assistance with training.  Particularly timing, nutrition, and encouragement.  TNTs hard training is supposed to pick up in January.  May God help me.  I am doing their training on top of my regular training (or incorporating it).  I tried to do just their training schedule (which is weak for someone like me) and I gained three pounds!  :-)

Thanks for your help.  Oh and by the way, I have a degree in molecular and cellular biology, so although I don't work in it right now, I hope to join your biology club. :-)

dbw27

Edited by dbw27 2008-12-27 11:54 PM
2008-12-30 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

Hi:

I just bought a $1,000.00 bike - enough said.

I bought it at a bike shop store liquidation going out of business sale for 1k+tax.

http://www.fujibikes.com/Womens/CarbonRoad/Silhouette.aspx

I think it was a good deal.  It is my first tri - but I am signed up for two this upcoming year.  I hope I didn't make a mistake! :-)

dbw27

2008-12-30 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1878884

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
$1k for a carbon 18.5pd bike with Ultegra, nice deal! Now learn to post pics and show us that bad boy!

New bikes make me happy, even if its someone elses.

2009-01-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1879063

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

Thanks!  I am pretty excited.  I bought it at my local Performance Bike that was going out of business (this one only - not the whole chain).

I am very excited about it but currently it is under lock and key.  I hope to learn to take pics to post!  :-)

Thanks for your encouragement and bike enthusiasm. :-D

dbw27 

2009-01-05 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Okay...we hit rock bottom (of the posts). Time to step this up a notch. I'm back from vacation (brutal two weeks travelling with 3 boys in a car--over 3400 total miles) and back at work so I'll have time to check in with everyone...don't tell work.

I had a hill run workout planned this morning but bagged it when I got up and saw that it was 10 degrees out. My muscles never would have warmed up.
2009-01-05 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Let's start filling in our workout logs. I'd like to see what everyone is doing this week. If you need help with motivation, please se4nd me you plan for the week and I'll hound you. If you don't have a plan--well let's fix that soon.

Did anyone get any cool tri gifts for Christmas? I got none but none were expected either.
2009-01-05 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
My husband gave me the new Garmin 405 watch with heart rate monitor. I have the older 205 model, and didn't really need a new one. He thought the new sleek watch looked much cooler than my square one. I guess I'll take the old one to work and leave it there for when I run at lunch. Nice guy he is. Now I just need to figure out how to use it.

For training - I was looking at one of the 20 week training plans on the site (the free ones). And was deciding on which one to follow. I think since I have an OLY scheduled in May I will start a 20 week OLY plan, and then when the race is over start a 20 week HIM for the Oct HIM I plan to do. The timing is almost perfect. Does that sound good?

The plans I did look at show really low minutes of running, like 24 minutes to start. I rarely run less than 45 minutes, and almost always for an hour or more. Can I just keep the runs longer but stick with the listed times for the swim and bike?

I'm hoping to get a lane tomorrow morning at the Y - wish me luck!
2009-01-05 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1886663

User image

No cool gifts for me.  But I'm brand new to this so it will probably take me a while to figure out what is cool and what isn't. 

I need someone to please tell me that swimming gets easier and better in time.  I'm just starting swimming and I didn't quite expect it to be so difficult.  I've always felt as though I was in pretty decent shape.  I run often, play basketball, and have ridden my bike when I can.  So I guess I was a little shocked on my first lap down the pool when I could hardly breathe by the time I swam 25 meters.  I only swam a total of 300 meters my first time and there's no telling how long it took me.  Yesterday was my second time in the pool.  I pushed myself to 750 meters but I did it all in 50 meter increments.  I had to rest after every 50 meters.  Again I didn't time myself but I'm sure it took forever.  Tonight was my third time in the pool and I was able to "crank out" 100 meters on my first 4 laps without resting.  After that I did the final 400 meters in 50 meter increments again.  I finally timed myself tonight and it took me 18:31 to swim only 500 meters.  Please tell me it will get better!!

2009-01-06 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Josh - it DOES get easier. I was a marathon runner and in what I would consider very good cardio condition. I ran all the time and biked a lot of hilly courses too. The first time I got into the pool I was the same way. I started off thinking, this will be a cake walk. Boy was I wrong!! I barely did 250 yards the first time, and that included a ton of breaks. I didn't give up and got back in a few days later. I added a couple more laps the next time, and kept doing that until I was swimming a respectable amount. Just keep going, you will notice quick improvements if you don't give up.
2009-01-06 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1888753

User image

Thanks Karen!  I'm definitely going to keep at it.  My plan is to swim minimally three times a week.  I'll do more if my schedule allows it but just not seeing it right now.  I have to believe it will get easier in time as anything does with practice but dang, swimming just seems so difficult right now. 
2009-01-06 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Swimming is very technique based and it takes a while for you body to figure it out. I had to tell myself and constantly still remind myself to swim downhill. This keeps my head in the water and my body in a streamline position. It took a long time to feel comfortable and to be able to swim all day long (slowly of course).

Have you tried any swim drills? The Total Immersion drills have really help a friend of mine who couldn't swim a lick. I try to do some of these drills every time I swim to increase my efficiency which then reduces my fatigue which boosts endurance.

Slow and steady is the only way to make progress in the pool. DRILL, DRILL, DRILL since technique is everything.
2009-01-06 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
I'd like to pool everyone so I can get to know you all a bit better.

1) What bike are you riding now? What is your dream bike?
2) What type of running shoes are you running in and how often do you switch them out (miles)?
3) How long is your pool (25m, 25 yards, 50 m)?
4) Have you ever done an open water swim?
5) Do you alwasy ride with a helmet?
6) Do you run with head phones or run in the nude (my way of describing my music-less runs)?

More questions later but I thought I'd get these out there.

Cameron
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's sufferers- FULL Rss Feed  

of 9