BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COURAGE'S GROUP- CLOSED... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-12-20 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: COURAGE'S GROUP- CLOSED...

NAME- Eric J

STORY- My story, or its start is published here on BT in the articles section entitled, "Salvation". The short of it? Some 4+ years ago I got back on the bike as a way to fight some inner demons which led to a life changing year. Needing a concrete purpose toward which to set goals I started bike racing. Then one day my training partner asked if I'd ever considered doing a Tri. That was Westpoint. Despite a disaster of a swim owing to my first time in a wetsuit I ended up with a decent first race but was most impressed by the sense of family and inclusion that swirled all around me.

Coming from a competitive swimming background and a lost love of running I saw Tri as the way to best live the physical and mental healthy lifestyle I yearned for. Most of all though I am constantly lifted up by those who inspire me and those I hope to inspire. I have become a Certified Coach and am very active in my Multi Sport club as a way to give back to a sport and lifestyle that has given me back my life...

FAMILY STATUS- I am the forever adolecent married father of two.

CURRENT TRAINING- I'm in maintenance phase now but will start Build in January. I used the BT training plans here for last season as part of a Gold Membership. When all is right I ride 3 times, run twice and swim twice each week. Core work is an all year round deal for me just less so when race season is on. Besides Coaching I have a full time job so I get creative with training. Consistency in training is a goal for me though that's sometimes difficult.

THIS YEAR'S RACES- Had a crash in May and lost 6 weeks but prior I had put several bike races and 2 Time Trials under my belt.

Bethel Crit- Took Top Ten.

Silvermine TT- Took sixth Place in my Cat.

Hudson Valley Tri- Took a Medal for 3rd place in my age group (45-49)

Timberman- Had a great race and "stole" Chrissie Wellington's bag

Westpoint- Bettered my time by more than 15 minutes from the year before.

TOGA BIATHLON- Had a blast racing with all my friends.

2009 RACES-  This is the schedule so far but there will likely be additions:

From March 1-April 5th; Bethel Crit Bike Racing series (Bethel, Ct)

May4th- Colt's Neck Bike Race

June- Pawling Sprint Tri,  NY Triathlon in Harriman, NJ State Oly

July- Hudson Valley Tri

August- Westpoint Tri, Timberman Tri

WEIGHTLOSS- I have lost 45 pounds since starting out. I'm looking to go down 5 more pounds that my Wife swears I don't need to lose.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR- I've been there, on the edge looking for answers and waiting to take the first trepidatious step. I have learned through making the mistakes, gaining experience through doing, taking the courses and reading the books to put lessons into practice. I have learned through the wisdom, experience and generosity of others.

I have learned through training, racing and living the lifestyle. I relish the work and live for competing but nothing fills me with adrenaline more than helping my friends and training partners accomplish what they set their mind to.

I am also a USCF Certified Cycling Coach, NEC Certified Strength and Fitness Trainer and come from a competitive swimming background. I am somewhat tech savvy and own several bikes that I like to care for....

Edited by Courage 2009-01-22 4:53 PM

2008-12-28 10:00 PM
in reply to: #1865380

Subject: RE: COURAGE'S GROUP- OPEN

Hi,

I would like to start training for a triathlon.  I have never done a triathlon before and I actually do not run or swim.  I do take spinning classes but I have not been taking the classes regularly because my mother was battling cancer and I am very sad to say she passed away a little over a month ago.  I would like to complete a sprint triathlon in memory of her.  I would like to start training but I am not sure where I should start.  As for my athletic abilities, I played soccer and basketball in high school.  I did not play any sports in college, I tried to play rugby but tore my acl freshman year in college.  I did get the reconstruction surgery but tore it again.  Is it possible to complete a triathlon with a torn acl?  Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Theresa 

2008-12-29 12:34 AM

User image

Dallas Oregon

Hi Eric:

I am new to tri.  I've been reading about it, and I'd like to try it to help me stay motivated in my fitness goals.  I am 45, married 15 years, father to 3 boys, ages 10, 8 and 2.  Keeping up with the boys and staying healthy to enjoy life with my wife and family are big motivations.

I've always had OK strength and endurance, but I'm losing it - recently I went to a soccer coaching clinic with a bunch of other middle-aged dad types.  A lot of us were completely spent by the end of the field session.

So anyway, I'm ready to go and the local university is sponsoring a sprint tri on April 25th.  It's a 500 yard swim, 17 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.

I'd really appreciate your knowledge, because I have never been in a bike race.  I'm going to start running again this week, and planning to hit the pool in January.  The 17 mile distance seems a bit long for a sprint, but what do I know?   I have a cheap mountain bike from Target, and that is what I'll use for this first tri.  If you have soem advice about how to make the most of a cheap bike, I'd appreciate it.

I live in Oregon, about an hour south of Portland, so there's a lot of opportunities to race around here.   If things go well, there is another sprint tri May 25th and an open water event at the end of the summer I'd like to check out.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Jim 

2008-12-29 7:17 AM
in reply to: #1875098

User image

Expert

Theresa hi! First please accept my condolensces on your loss. I lost my Dad at an early age and it does get better...

Now, there is good news. Running, cycling and swimming are known as Low Demand Sports where your ACL is concerned and can be performed with the tear. Keep in mind though that I am not a physician. The major issue for ACL tears is any high impact or sport requiring pivotal/lateral movements. You may experience pain and you will need to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint to help support.

You can certainly do a Triathlon but I need you to answer a few questions:

Do you own a bike and if so what kind?

Do you know how to swim?

Do you own running shoes?

How old are you?

Once I get that info I'll give you a bit to start working on...

Eric J

2008-12-29 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1875202

User image

Expert

Hey Jim, welcome!

You have 15 solid weeks to prep for the Tri which is plenty. 17 miles is right in there for a sprint bike segment. They go from 15 to 19 for the most part.

I've been just where you are and I can tell you the hardest part is making the decision to start so you got that out of the way. Your cheap mountain bike will be fine for training and your first event. It will be slower than a road or tri but a start none the less.

I would suggest buying an inexpensive pair of slicks for the mountain bike. That will increasae your speed and shave a bit of weight. My bike mechanic who is a Nationals road racer loves training on a mountain bike w/ slicks. Knobby tires increase resistance and are harder to handle.

What type of schedule do you think you can maintain for training?

How experienced a swimmer are you?

Same question for running.

Is the Tri a pool swim?

Let me know and I'll get you started...

Eric J

2008-12-29 7:39 AM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
I'd like to join your mentoring group. By way of background:

PERSONAL: 43 yrs. old, married 18 yrs, 3 kids (15, 13, 10) and dog (best running buddy!). I'm a lawyer working in-house at a large company since April '08; before then, I worked 2 miles from the house, since then, I have an 85 mile round trip commute -- big training challenge.

TRIATHLONS: Came to the sport 3 years ago as a way of setting a fitness goal -- I grew up swimming/lifeguarding and running cross-country and was alway intrigued by triathlons, so I decided to finally go for it. Summer of '07, I completed 2 sprints and was totally hooked. Summer '08 was totally scrubbed due to severe back injury in April. Fortunately, no surgery was needed but it took a solid 4 months of PT and rehab to get back to training VERY slowly. It took a few more months of total inertia before I got back onto BT and started thinking to summer '09.

GOALS:
- Drop 20 lbs
- Train smarter
- Complete 3 sprints during summer '09

2008-12-29 8:45 AM

New user

Edgewater, Maryland

I'm interested in joining your group. I've begun training for my first triathlon next year. I'm already registered for the Nation's Triathlon in September 2009, and I'm thinking of running a Half-Ironman sometime this next year too, but scheduling is a bit of an issue. I also want to run in at least one marathon this year, and maybe two if I can work them in.

I've done swimming in the past, but I'm not very fast. I've been a certified Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor (my certification expired this year). I'm blessed to live in an apartment with an indoor pool, but it's only 60 feet long (instead of a 75 feet/25 yard pool).

I have a road bike, a Specialized Allez, and a new toy, a Garmin 705.

I've just turned 50, but the only clue to that is the grey hair; most people think I'm a lot younger - must be the way I act.

I'm an Army Reservist on Active duty in the Northern Virginia area, and married.

I'm an adult onset runner - I actually used to hate running, but since I'm in the military it's important to be able to do it a bit. I had had knee surgery for a torn meniscus about 4 years ago. My boss told me I needed to run for a physical fitness test or get what is called a 'profile' which would allow me to do alternate events such as swimming, walking, or cycling.

I decided I would at least try because I didn't really want a permanent profile on my records. My first run was 5 minutes - that was all I could do. Next I did 6 minutes, then 7 minutes, continuing on until I had done about 20 minutes or up to two miles. I decided I would continue slowly increasing the mileage. One thing that really helped me in this process was my acquisition of a Nike+ iPod system to help me log my miles.

Slowly I got up to 8 miles at the end of the year 2007, and I then thought about maybe doing a marathon. I decided on the SeaFair marathon in Seattle in June of 2008. I ran it in just a bit over 5 hours without any injuries, which was my main goal. I also ran in the Marine Corps Marathon in October. I didn't do so well because I ran too fast the first 8-10 miles or so and then I got some pretty severe cramps at about mile 15.5. Oh well, I finished in just over 6 hours with a really good lesson.

Maybe someday I'll complete 50 marathons in 50 states; hey, I'm 1/25th of the way there  - or even 50 triathlons in 50 states!

Edited by danielbailey 2008-12-29 2:33 PM
2008-12-29 10:39 AM

User image

Expert

Welcome Dan and Elliot. Just gave a quick read through but am knee deep till this afternoon. I'll reply to you each round evening time... Talk soon...

Eric J

2008-12-29 1:06 PM

First off, navigating through this website definitely has its challenges, true-to-prediction for a middle child. I'm 32, thin enough for people to assume I don't need exercise - but realistically out of shape. Discipline was a gift given to my older sister who somehow managed to double up on shares because I keep coming up short. But here I am, signing up for encouragement to do a triathlon - because I'd love to win a wrestling match with discipline and to also kill an apathetic attitude that has been increasingly plaguing me for months. Glasses up to 2009, here comes change, roaring down the lane in the form of a triathlon! Smile

Rachel

2008-12-29 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1875473

User image

Expert

Elliot-

Realistically how many days of the week and how many hourse can you devote to a training regimen? Have you picked a plan to go with from the BT programs, if so how many weeks? How often can you get to a pool?

Your log says you are scheduled for the Ironclad on May 31st so you'll need to add in prep and base time to the program...

I got a little sense of your running from your log but what would you say is your avg time for a run workout?

13 miles for the bike portion is short for a Sprint so the swim and run is where you need more focus.

As to losing 20lbs here's the first rule: NO SNACKING AFTER 7, 8 the latest!

Eric J

2008-12-29 5:05 PM
in reply to: #1875463

User image

Dallas Oregon
Subject: RE: Answers to your training questions
<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Hi Eric:

Thanks for getting right back.  I will take my rims into a local bike shop and see about some road slicks.  Now for a little dry weather so I can get out and ride. 

Here are the answers to your questions:

What type of schedule do you think you can maintain for training?

I will have to fit in most of my training in the early mornings before 7 am.  I’d like to work out a schedule that will have me swimming or running in the morning. I also have 2 evenings free.  Longer workouts, bricks, etc, would have to wait until weekends.   Weather is an issue – we have a lot of rain, but I’m figuring on running on a lot of dark, wet mornings.  Hopefully I can get some dry weekend afternoons for some longer bike rides.

How experienced a swimmer are you?

Not very experienced at all.  I have not swum regularly in a long time.  I am comfortable in the water, and with my current body composition, there will be no trouble floating.  We have a really nice Aquatic Center here in town, and I know a couple of guys who are regular swimmers. The first tri, and probably the second will be in an indoor pool. 

Same question for running.

I am most experienced at running, which isn’t saying much.  I run an easy 2-1/2 miles in a 1/2 hour when I’m out for exercise.

A question from me – I looked at the training plans on BT, and I’m wondering how to integrate the training plans with the log and keep track of stuff.   Do you know of an example of how to use the logs?

Update>> I found the tutorials on the logs, and I'm digging in.

Thanks Eric!

Jim  

Edited by vmjimcross 2008-12-29 8:48 PM

2008-12-29 6:05 PM

User image

Hello Eric,

Jason here, I'm looking for some pointers etc for my first Triathlon season.  My back ground, I'm 33, in the Military and was overweight for quit some time.  I started running a little over a year ago, and have gotten into "decent" shape, dropping 45lbs.  I live in Michigan's Upper Penninsula so my outdoor options are limited for this winter.  I'm looking at doing 2 local races here, the Copperman (Aug 1st) and a sprint in Grand Marais, MI(sept 1st), I am also toying with a 10k in July, and a local bike race in July(unsure of distance).  I would say my biggest weakness is the swim just because I don't do it much.  Any info or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jason

2008-12-29 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1876495

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Answers to your training questions

A question from me – I looked at the training plans on BT, and I’m wondering how to integrate the training plans with the log and keep track of stuff.   Do you know of an example of how to use the logs?

Its pretty simple once you start clicking. Just go to your log and click on "Edit today's log" on the day of the workout. A new page opens with fields for all types of info categorized for each discipline. Its very self explanatory once you see it.

Enter as much info as you can. Over time you start to see patterns in your logs and also improvement  that helps keep you motivated.

If you become a Bronze, Silver or Gold member here on BT you can choose one of their programs and Import it into your log. It automatically sets up your weekly workouts. You may have to change it up a bit to accommodate your schedule limitations.

You can click on the Log button on my post and take a look at my log for the past couple weeks to get an idea.

Couple things- For those of us 45 and older our schedule should run 2 weeks on and 1 week off. That means 2 weeks of intense training followed by a week of ACTIVE recovery when the workouts are less intense. We take longer to heal and recover so we need a shortened schedule. Younger athletes work on a 3 on and 1 off.

You have 4 months till the first tri and need to start working on a base. January should be all about lesser intensity workouts staying in a relatively low HR zone.  You need to swim/bike and run regularly getting in time as opposed to distance to build up your aerobic base. In February you can start a 12 week Sprint plan leading up to the race.

Most important is to keep in mind that your real goal for your first Tri is to finish. Quick story: My first Tri was Westpoint. I was already a bike racer but hadn't swum in many years despite a competitive swim background. I did swim workouts for a couple months and was all set, so I thought. Well, the combination of wearing a wetsuit for the first time and the open water swim start along with 80 others almost did me in. I stopped 3 times and came close to bailing. But I toughed it out getting out of the lake 530th out of 650.

I went on to do well on the bike and okay on the run. But I finished my first Tri and was thrilled.

Eric J

2008-12-29 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1876574

User image

Expert

Hi Jason and welcome. As you're in the Military I assume you have a decent fitness base. As to swimming you're basically going to train for form and technique. You just want to get through the swim intact and ready for T1. Forget about speed for now you just want to be confident and efficient in the water. The saying goes that you don't win a Tri in the swim but you can lose it in the swim.

Do you know where you'll be swimming and the pool size?

What type of bike do you ride and what type of distances?

How much time do you spend running?

As a side note Bike racing is very different from Tri cycling in regards to training and how you race. I spend the early part of the season bike racing and then hit the Tri circuit in late May. Tri cycling is all about consistent top speed. Bike racing is about recovery, aerobic AND anaerobic strength and reading the field. So you would want to include more interval work into your bike training...

Eric J

2008-12-29 11:46 PM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA

Hi Eric,

I am 36, married with two awsome kids.  I have recently gotten back into the tri training scene and am looking forward to a great 2009!  My first tri was in 2006.  2007 was on track for another nice season then ITB hit and had to cancel the fall races.  2008 no tris and I relocated from GA to AZ for a new job and have been building running base since Sept.  I had a mentor group in GA, but trying to build it here in AZ... 

I could use your help keeping my training consistent and balanced.  Help with taking my bike and swim to the next level would be a bonus!

Thanks!

-Jonathan 

2008-12-30 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1876914

User image

Eric, this is a very remote location, but I do have access to the local college's campus to include, pool (unknown length) etc. 

Bike, is a Trek 4500 mountain bike (yep I'm that guy),  I'm going to try and lock out the front suspention, and pick up some slicks for the races or find a 2nd hand road bike for cheap($50 or less).  Up until the end of Oct I was able to keep 11mph for 10mi with my son in tow on the local bike trail.  Haven't ridden since due to snow.  Planning a 30 min stationary ride this moring though.

Running, right now I run between 10-15 miles a week on the tread mill, as soon as I can get outside that distance increase by 50% or so.  My best time for 6miles is about 50 min and the furthest I've run is 12 in 2hrs on the dot.  But I've slacked of a bit for the holidays.

I have started in with push ups, sit ups and pull ups recently and am quickly becoming fond of core workouts, do you have anything I can add to this workout?

I've looked at the training programs and am looking at the 13week sprint for starting, does this sound right?

Also, I'm thinking of picking up a wet-suit to start open water swimming as soon as the ice clears, any suggestions on suits or pointers for the open water? (at least 3.5 months away).

Thanks for your time Eric,

much appreciated!!

2008-12-30 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1876109

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ

Eric,

My training program is 20 week/run focus.  In terms of training volume, it has worked really well for me the last 3 weeks -- I only missed 2 swims because the pool was closed for maintenance.  It averages about 5-7 hours/week which works for me.

Running:  I average about a 10 minute mile and did a few easy 5k runs in the fall.  Last night I went out just to unwind and ended up doing close to 3 miles at 9:30/mile and felt loose.

I agree that the focus should be swim and run.  I am a strong swimmer and the run has been the hardest for me so that's why I chose the run focused training plan.

Nutrition: I am avidly doing Weight Watchers and that's working pretty well for me.  Due to my back injury last April and being totally unable to workout for almost 4 months, I put on 15 lbs ballooning up to 195.  Being 5'8, that was way too much!  I've taken 8 lbs off over the last 6 weeks and I'm aiming for 165 as my goal, though I'll settle for 170.

As to the Ironclad Tri: I am really concerned about the cold water.  I grew up right near where the race is and spent the first 20 summers of my life swimming and lifeguarding in those waters, so it is very sentimental, but the idea of jumping into the Long Island Sound (open salt water, might was well be the Atlantic) on Memorial Day is a little intimidating.  2008 race reports indicate water temperature was 61F!!   I don't have a wet suit and have never worn one before.  I know I'll need to rent one if I actually go through with this race, but I'm a little concerned about getting into and out of the suit.  Thoughts?

2008-12-30 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1877357

User image

Expert

(yep I'm that guy)

lol... I was that guy once also. When I got back into things I was riding a 24 year old Fuji and a T shirt big enough to cover my gut.

Your run will be your biggest advantage obviously but everything changes after pushing a heavy Mtn bike for 17 miles. Check the course or the Tri's site to see what kind of climbing is involved. You need saddle time right now and for the next month or two. Lots of riding whether its inside or out. Lots of Zone 1/2 work.

If you do plan on that bike race you'll need a road bike. Anything other than a Roadie is illegal in bike racing. The Mtn bike is of course fine for Tri's.

As for swimming; Ask the pool length as most programs base their intervals on yardage. The things to work on as I mentioned to Jim are form and technique. Open Water Swimming (OWS) is different than pool swimming. In a pool environment you only need to look at the pool bottom to see the lines to know where you are. Whenever you take a breath you see the lane lines or even nudge them to know you need to straighten out. You're also free from being battered in a pool

In an OWS you have to be able to "site", getting your head up clear enough to get a look at the Bouy markers to know where you are and where you are headed. You need to get your mouth clear of the waves created by the tides and/or mass of swimmers. You will have to contend with people in your way, on top of you, kicking etc.. etc.. and going off course.

The things to work on in the pool: Breathing Bi-Laterally and raising your head every so often to simply look ahead. Efficiency of your stroke, basically relaxing your inert arm as you bring it over for the next stroke and extending it before the pull. Puling with your lat muscles (the "V" muscles in your back) rather than your shoulders. A commom mistake which will fatigue your shoulders quickly.

Kicking is also t be treated a bit different. In a pool swim.race the feet are used as a means of support propulsion as well as balance. In an OWS you need to conserve your legs for the bike and run so you kick less. You kick more for balance than for propulsion.

When training in the pool fight the desire to kick off the wall. Make your turn but do not use the wall to kick off. That shortens the lap and artificially helps you, great for a race in the pool but does nothing for an OWS Tri.

Wetsuits vary as much as bikes. What they do for us is keep us warm, which was their original intent and keep us bouyant and help in reducing friction. I use a full sleeve but will likely add a sleeveless for the summer tris when the water is warmer. Its a personal choice for most. Sleeveless gives you a better field of motion and a less restricted feeling.

I use a 2XU suit but there are many brands and models as good and better. Search the web when ready as you can always find deals on last year's models. If you can find a shop near you try a few on. They feel very restricting when first put on but when they fill with water the pressure disspates. Once comfortable in your suit the difference it makes in the water is pretty amazing.

As to the Sprint plan I would hold off on that one until 13 weeks before your Tri and start with a maintenance plan to build with for now. As a BT plan member you have access to as many plans as you want depending on your membership level.

Hope that helps...

Eric J

2008-12-30 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Eric,

Like many others I want to do a (well ok 3 this season) Triathlons. I am 25, own a good trek hybrid that I keep running fairly well, just finished a set of swim lessons at the local community pool (more stroke/technique refinement than than the- I am afraid of the water kind). I come from a back ground of wrestling in High school as well as marching band (laugh if you like but let me see you spend 6+ hours several days a week standing rigid with a 20+ pound brass insrument in your hands.) Then all through college I was on the crew team and rowed as part of a regional champion lightweight 4+ for 3 years. I have never done a triathlon.

My current goals involve completing these tris this year, getting back to my college weight (155 or losing about 20 pounds), motivating my wife to exercise more and having fun!

My obstacles: fitting training around my job, wife time, relaxation, and my backpacking trips.

Races for 2009: June - Cascade Edge Olympic Tri, July - Seafair Sprint Tri, September - Black Hills Olympic Tri.

Thanks!

Justin 

2008-12-30 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Madison

Hello Eric -

I am new to this whole mentor thing so thought I would give it a try.  I am a 41 year old wife and mom to 2 boys (10 & 12).  I completed three sprint tri's last year and am hoping to do some more this summer.  I had originally thought about doing an Oly distance, but really have not enjoyed the running (and I am afraid I might drown at that distance!

I am a new athlete as of last year.  I was doing weight watchers and lost about 30 lbs. in 2007 and had always thought about doing a triathlon.  I signed up for three last summer to help maintain the weight loss.  They were tough for me!

I am married to a marathon man who is very structured and loves running.  I haven't found that to be the case for me.  I have been in a bit of a rut the past few weeks, but am hoping to get back into a routine.  My goal for training consists of a strength training class twice a week, running 2-3 times a week, swimming 1-2 times a week, and biking twice a week.  I am a stay home mom, so I have time during the day.

I am looking for some guidance in my training and some motivation so I don't get burnt out.  I'm looking forward to giving this a try!  Thanks!

2008-12-30 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1877428

User image

Expert

As to the Ironclad Tri: I am really concerned about the cold water.  I grew up right near where the race is and spent the first 20 summers of my life swimming and lifeguarding in those waters, so it is very sentimental, but the idea of jumping into the Long Island Sound (open salt water, might was well be the Atlantic) on Memorial Day is a little intimidating.  2008 race reports indicate water temperature was 61F!!   I don't have a wet suit and have never worn one before.  I know I'll need to rent one if I actually go through with this race, but I'm a little concerned about getting into and out of the suit.  Thoughts?

I know the sound well. Family had a 38 footer off City island for a few years..

Wetsuits take a bit of getting used to. My first time wearing one was also at my first Tri AND first OWS. It was a near disaster...

Sizing is important. You want the  suit to be snug, almost restrictive when you put it on. They are basically sponges and when immersed in water they expand making them feel looser and more comfortable.

If your renting a suit make sure to get it a couple days before and soak it in the tub then let it dry out. Makes the suit more pliable and ready to accept water. Get yourself a small tube of Body Glide and apply at your ankles, knees, shoulders arms and crotch. It will help with getting the suit on and off.

They'll give you pointers at whichever shop you rent from but this video clip will give you all the info you need:  http://www.all3sports.com/info_pages.php?jsenabled=1&pages_id=2...

Hope that helps...

Eric J

2008-12-30 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Subject: RE: COURAGE'S GROUP- CLOSED for now...

Hey Eric,

Crud - do you have room for one more?  I clicked on your group cuz it was "open" but I now see it says "CLOSED for now..."  Can you squeeze one more in?

I'm Tara, I'm a 51-year female, married to the same guy for the past 30 years- whew!  I was an athlete in high school and college but mostly fast twitch stuff.  Played basketball for Kentucky Wesleyan and Akron U (go Zips!).  I decided to get back in shape for my 50th birthday and remembered that about 20 years ago I watched a tri in Naples, FL and decided that before I turned 50, I was going to do one.... so, in December, 2006, 6 months before my 50th, I started training and got into a mentor group here on BT.  I loved it!  I placed 2nd in my AG (okay, there were only 4 of us) and had a blast.  Unfortunately, I'm an overachiever and decided to go out and run the next day after the race... that began my year of "itis's" in my foot and ankle.  Last year I attempted to train but it was one itis after another.  I'm finally pain free and am SLOWLY working back to getting my run going - it's the hardest part for me and where I get injured (except a little shoulder thing from swimming, oh ya, and a couple of herniated disks that get aggravated from biking) - did I mention the warranty wears off at 50?  Seriously, I'd love to get into your group but understand if its full.  If you let me in, I promise to be good and not require too much help... )  Thanks,

Tara

2008-12-30 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1877819

User image

Expert

Justin- Hi. An Olympic for your first Tri is a bit ambitious but June will give you plenty of time to get ready. Fitting training in around our real life schedules can be tough but one of the things I do for my clients is set their plans up in order for them to be able to flex the workouts around their schedules...

I believe in quality of work not quantity however in order to do an Oly you will need to put in some time. Right now you should be logging time in the saddle, in your running shoes and in the pool without worrying about Times. Just start building an aerobic base.

Look at your schedule each week, maybe Sunday eve and set up your weekly schedule. If you buy into a plan here on BT you can decide which w/o's are the priority for that week and get those in. When you havew just a short window get in a run. When you have several hours available schedule a bike and if you have an hour or so get to the pool.

Get creative. If you're backpacking bring along trail running shoes and get in a run or do some Core work.

If you use an outside plan or Coach you may be part of a system that allows you to move around your w/o's for the week. You should get on a plan sometime soon though as nothing beats structure even if its a flexible structure.

Don't get too worried about missing a workout because of a commitment. As long as you're consistent week to week you'll be fine.

Eric J

2008-12-30 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1878021

User image

Expert

Tara welcome. We'll say you just missed the cutoff. What is your training regimen like now?

Have you looked into the Pose running system? It saved my knees and my running.

What type of schedule are you on? Do you take a recovery week every 3rd week? You should be training 2 weeks on with high intensity and the 3rd week should be Acrtive Recovery when you train but with less intensity...

Let me know what I can help you with...

Eric J

Edited by Courage 2008-12-30 2:56 PM
2008-12-30 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the pointers. I do log plenty of time in the saddle. (I currently commute via bike about 12 miles each way) but the problem with that is while I work hard...not really a work out because of all the extra stuff I lug in my packs. When I do ride home and to work I am usually to tired to go do something else after a 12 hour day. unfortunately my only other commute option is via bus which is an 1.5 hour commute each way. It will be difficult but I am willing to fit it in. I appriciate the advice about getting into a training plan for the structure. I have been thinking of getting one of the books that helps you schedule and keep track of your workouts, any thoughts on those? I like the idea of a book as the actual act of writing on paper is much more permanent in my mind versus just an online calendar.

anyway I look forward to getting some good advice and motivation from this group and hopefully helping to motivate others as well.

Justin

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COURAGE'S GROUP- CLOSED... Rss Feed  

of 5