BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2008-12-21 10:29 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business

NAME: screen name- Gaarryy  -- real name-Gary

STORY: Just an easy going guy, I was a competitive volleyball player looking to something, after getting sick and gaining about 50 lbs I did a couple of marathons and always wanted to see if I could do a triathlon

FAMILY STATUS: Single (but looking for Ms Right) and hanging out with my two labs
CURRENT TRAINING: I use the plans here on BT, with the exception of swimming with a masters group

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 1st iron distance, a few local sprints/ Olys, 5ks, Two Half Marathons
2009 RACES: This year will be like last year just hopefully faster and without any early season surgery. Spring 1/2 iron,  3-4 local sprint/Oly and IMKY or IM Louisville, since it’s my 2nd time there I should really learn what it’s called

WEIGHTLOSS: Recently Started working with a dietitian to get down to 200lbs,  so that would be a loss of 30lbs.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I’ve shown that you don’t have to be a type “A” person to have a lot of fun while training and racing. I think my experiences over the past few years in training, races, having a couple of injuries,  and willing to share the knowledge I’ve learned from others along the way will help people looking to complete their first tri, or someone looking to have the accountability of a group setting.  Just getting an inspire is a great feeling. It helps to keep you accountable in your training.

Edited by Gaarryy 2009-01-01 6:30 PM

2008-12-30 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1866633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
Subject: RE: Gaarryy's Group now Open for Business

Hey Gaarryy,  I would love to join your group.  Here's a little about myself.

I live in Corinth, TX and am married with a 4 year old daughter.  I pretty much train by myself with the exception of weekend bike rides due to my schedule.  I ride with the CCC corinth cycling club, although lately they have been pretty slack. 

As far as races in 08 I did 3 sprints, and 1 oly, a bunch of bike rides including a century and lots of 5 & 10k runs.  I started training in May for a competition called the Muddy buddy that I did with my father.  I picked up my road bike in June and love cycling.

For 09' I am signed up for the New Orleans Half Iron on April 5 and am looking to also do the Redman full iron distance in September.  I'm also thinking of another half somewhere in-between but have not decided yet.

I really need some inspiration as I am starting to get a little burned out and have not been tracking anything like I should.  My work & home schedule pretty much make it impossible for me train with other people and not be late all the time so I train by myself mostly.

Thank you,

Alex 

2008-12-31 5:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

Hey guys.  I want to join as well.

I'm Judy and here's a quick bio.

47yrs old, single, one grown son.  Live in Raleigh North Carolina. I do contracting work (SAP Software) so I work wherever the current contract is.  At the moment that is Frederick Maryland. I fly to Md on Sunday evenings and come home on Thursday evenings.  Trying to get 40hrs of work in plus workouts and a bit of sleeping and eating during that time frame makes my schedule rather challenging sometimes.

Life long runner with 17 marathons.  Beginning of 2006 I decided to start cross-training which turned into triathlon.  I had never swam and didn't own a bike, never even rode much as a kid.  In 2006 I managed a few super sprints.  2007 was a couple more super sprints and two actual sprints. In both of my open water sprints I ran the 5K faster then I was able to swim the 750 meters.  2008 I jumped straight to the Ironman.  Completed the spring version of Ironman Arizona.

My goal for 2009 is purely endurance.  I want to get much more comfortable in the water and build a better cycling base before I concern myself with trying to go fast.  My event schedule will be White Lake HIM May 2nd, Eagleman HIM June 14th, Vineman full IM Auguest 1st, and IMAZ Nov. 22nd.  That looks like a huge schedule to me but if I can keep my focus on 'endurance' then I think it is doable.  Notice this is my Event schedule, not my Race schedule.  I don't plan on 'racing' anything.

Training for IMAZ last year I used a personal coach. She was fantastic and I never would have become an Ironman without her.  However, she is very intense and I think I would get distracted from my endurance goal and get sucked into a 'go fast' goal if I stayed with her.  So I'm planning on using some of the BT plans and trying to train by Heart Rate (which I have never done before). 

Since I'm pretty much on my own here, it would be great to have a mentor/training group to be checking in with regularly to help keep me honest and on track.

Happy New Year!

Judy

2008-12-31 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Ohio

Hi Gary,

I'm in another mentor group already but just wanted to say I think it's cool you're mentoring. To all who join Gary's group, Gary and I have never met in person (although I've seen him on his bike during his IM) but I can say Gary's a good guy. You'll have fun in his group.

2008-12-31 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)

So - if we join do we have to massage your feet or anything like that?

2008-12-31 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1878702

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Hey Alex.. great to have a local guy join in...  I know one other peron on BT that lives in frisco that is also doing the New Orleans 1/2 IM...  and I've only heard great things about Redmon so  you have a couple of really great races to motivate  you,,,   Usually there is a group ride of a few BT'ers that leave from frisco on sat. mornings,, so keep an eye on the texas forum if you ever get the time,, sometimes it's just Tommy going solo, and other times we have had 10-12 people.

I never realized that corinth had a cycling group, I might have to look into that..

as far as burnout ..Are you doing lots of volume already (12hrs+) or is it like a lot of people that I"ve spoken with,, it's the fact that it's dark so early in the evening, along with the cold weather we have been having.  I know it's the dark at 5:30ish 30 degree weather that has killed my mojo...

2008-12-31 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1879464

User image

Champion
the colony texas
gleser - 2008-12-31 8:44 AM

no just  use my title of Sir Gary Lord of BS should be fine  

2008-12-31 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1879473

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Gaarryy - 2008-12-31 8:47 AM

Well, Sir Gary Lord of BS - It would be an honor to join your group - I believe you should be buying first round at Roma's !!!

Plan on doing about 2 OLY , 1 half Iron, 3 or 4 sprints, MS 150 - that should do it.  Goal for the year - run, run, run, run,

2008-12-31 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1879250

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Hey Judy,, Wow!!!  thats a great list of races for this year,  I"m sure with that travel schedule you have to be very organized to get all your training in.

I'm a big fan of HR training,,, Last year was my year to just do distance work or base building,  and with a HR monitor it made sure my easy running days were just that easy. Have you set up your HR zones yet??  here is a article one of the coaches here (mike Ricci) wrote about setting up your HR zones and the LT field test   

I think the hardest about swimming is just getting to the pool after that it's easy,, of course I turned off my alarm at 4:30 this morning to dodge the pool myself 

2008-12-31 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1879485

User image

Champion
the colony texas
gleser - 2008-12-31 8:55 AM
Gaarryy - 2008-12-31 8:47 AM

Well, Sir Gary Lord of BS - It would be an honor to join your group - I believe you should be buying first round at Roma's !!!

Plan on doing about 2 OLY , 1 half Iron, 3 or 4 sprints, MS 150 - that should do it.  Goal for the year - run, run, run, run,

Crap I blow off training last night to go drinking with some friends and people join up,,, is that an omen of what the new year will be like 

glad to have you along,,   Are you doing any of the Dallas Athletes sprints??  I've signed up for the st paddy day,, same course as the monster that you did back in the fall I believe...   in fact I need to write out what races I'm hoping to do, and get training going myself.. so hopefully you y'all keep my honest as well....   What 1/2 IM are you thinking of ??

2008-12-31 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1879496

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)

St. Paddys - ? (it was very cold last year, did this 2 years ago)

Caveman - 4/26 - sprint

MS 150 - 5- 2nd and 3rd

Texas Man - 5/17 - OLY

Disco Tri - 7/19 - OLY

Take the Heat - 8/16 Sprint

Prairie Man - 9/13 - half iron

Stonebridge - 9/17 OLY

US Open - 10/11 - ?

Monster Tri - 10/25 - Sprint

2008-12-31 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1879487

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

Gary,

I had my LT tested at a lab in 2007 and it was 176.  I did the field test a couple of weeks ago and it was 169 which I think is more accurate now since I'm coming off from a hamstring injury and am not in the best shape.  Those were both run tests.  I'll do another field test in a month or so but I have enough run experience that it isn't the run that worries me as much as the bike.

I'm going back to the lab in a couple of weeks and having my LT tested on my bike.  This is where I'm more concerned.  My cycling seems to be very inconsistent.  I have days where I feel awesome and other days are miserable.

I wish that getting to the pool was the hard part.  I can get there OK although I do admit to having trouble getting INTO the water. I sit on the edge of the pool for at least five minutes before actually getting in.  THEN the hard part begins.  I'm always amazed at how optimistic I am about swimming.  Almost every time I head to the pool I just know that today is the day that swimming will be easier.......unfortunately I'm still waiting, but fortunately I haven't given up.

And just because you are the mentor in this group doesn't mean that we won't be watching to see how many times you slap off that 4:30 alarm Wink

2008-12-31 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1879520

User image

Champion
the colony texas

SWEET... Looks like we are doing quite a few of the same ones in 2009,,,  have you done Parie man before??  I"ve only done the aquabike in prep for another one..

IN fact I'm seriously thinking of doing the Redman Full Aquabike if they have it again this year,, it's just a few weeks after Louisville though,, but it'd be fun..

gleser - 2008-12-31 9:14 AM

Caveman - 4/26 - sprint

MS 150 - 5- 2nd and 3rd

Texas Man - 5/17 - OLY

Disco Tri - 7/19 - OLY

Stonebridge - 9/17 OLY

US Open - 10/11 - ?

2008-12-31 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1879548

User image

Champion
the colony texas

I highlighted that since that is my whole problem on the bike and it usually occurs on one ride,, I'm cruising along great, when suddenly I just need a break for 2-3 min for my legs, my HR is fine,  This fall I went back into the weight room and was shocked how much actual leg strength I lost and my left leg was noticably weaker...

From what I"ve heard/read/seen usually your LT on the bike will be around 8-12 beats lower than your running one,, but with you great hx of running you are most likley a more effient runner so it could be closer.... sadly with biking as I've found out there is no real short cut.. just ride lots [bear quote]  the really good bikers say something like "ride as hard as you can, as far as you can, as oftehn as you can"   and I really think the thing that helped me running was HR monitor but it held me back some on biking as I didn't push enough in training...

jkholden - 2008-12-31 9:24 AM

Gary,

I had my LT tested at a lab in 2007 and it was 176.  I did the field test a couple of weeks ago and it was 169 which I think is more accurate now since I'm coming off from a hamstring injury and am not in the best shape.  Those were both run tests.  I'll do another field test in a month or so but I have enough run experience that it isn't the run that worries me as much as the bike.

I'm going back to the lab in a couple of weeks and having my LT tested on my bike.  This is where I'm more concerned.  My cycling seems to be very inconsistent.  I have days where I feel awesome and other days are miserable.

I wish that getting to the pool was the hard part.  I can get there OK although I do admit to having trouble getting INTO the water. I sit on the edge of the pool for at least five minutes before actually getting in.  THEN the hard part begins.  I'm always amazed at how optimistic I am about swimming.  Almost every time I head to the pool I just know that today is the day that swimming will be easier.......unfortunately I'm still waiting, but fortunately I haven't given up.

And just because you are the mentor in this group doesn't mean that we won't be watching to see how many times you slap off that 4:30 alarm Wink

2008-12-31 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1879720

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
No I have not done the Prairie Man - I did the Austin 1/2 Ironman last year and want to do another 1/2 Ironman this year but closer.
2008-12-31 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1879747

User image

Champion
the colony texas

gleser - 2008-12-31 10:51 AM No I have not done the Prairie Man - I did the Austin 1/2 Ironman last year and want to do another 1/2 Ironman this year but closer.

well this one is nice and flat... people say the run sucks since there is no shade and quite a bit of it is on that dam...   I can't remember the one pro from austrialia that usually does this race. chris something... there is no pro or elite wave so he is starting out with everyone then crushing them,,, I remember him passing me on the bike,, I was amazed how fast he was going... I think he avg 26mph on the bike

2008-12-31 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1879860

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Gaarryy - 2008-12-31 11:50 AM

gleser - 2008-12-31 10:51 AM No I have not done the Prairie Man - I did the Austin 1/2 Ironman last year and want to do another 1/2 Ironman this year but closer.

well this one is nice and flat... people say the run sucks since there is no shade and quite a bit of it is on that dam...   I can't remember the one pro from austrialia that usually does this race. chris something... there is no pro or elite wave so he is starting out with everyone then crushing them,,, I remember him passing me on the bike,, I was amazed how fast he was going... I think he avg 26mph on the bike

Chris Lieto? well, I'll just swim faster, develop a huge lead so he can't pass me right?

2008-12-31 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1879468

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas

Cool,  I saw there are alot of BT'ers signed up for the New Orleans.  I'm really looking forward to it as it will be my first Ironman event and my first half IM.

I usually ride with the CCC on saturdays, it's just so convenient for me to get there in 5 mins.  If you want to join in on the rides let me know.  The group has widdled down over the winter and the Sunday before last I was the ONLY one to show up for the group ride (granted I was in full winter gear and it was freezing).  If they don't pick up the pace soon I might check out another group to ride with.  The best rides are the "Big Steamer" races.  These rides are races on Tuesdays and Thursdays,  and let me tell you..... these guys are all fast.  They helped my cycling tremendously.  They won't start until the spring sometime though.  I can't wait either way.

Mostly I'm getting burned out because I end up running on a dark trail by myself with a headlight, full facemask and hand warmers, etc.....  or sitting on a trainer for an hour +.  The cold & outrageous wind does not help either.  The volume does not bother me at all,  I'm already at the 12+ mark and usually enjoy my workouts.  I'm ready for some spring weather already.

2008-12-31 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1879250

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
Wow Judy,  that sounds like a great lineup of races for 09.  17 marathons is quite an accomplishment.  I'm impressed.  I'm trying to find one that fits my schedule so I don't end up running my first marathon and my first IM on the same day.
2008-12-31 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1879720

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas

I was looking at doing more local races this next year.  I might check out some of those if they fit into my schedule.  The Redman course was pretty good this year.  Alot of people that did the Aquabike really liked it.

Gaarryy - 2008-12-31 10:36 AM

SWEET... Looks like we are doing quite a few of the same ones in 2009,,,  have you done Parie man before??  I"ve only done the aquabike in prep for another one..

IN fact I'm seriously thinking of doing the Redman Full Aquabike if they have it again this year,, it's just a few weeks after Louisville though,, but it'd be fun..

gleser - 2008-12-31 9:14 AM

Caveman - 4/26 - sprint

MS 150 - 5- 2nd and 3rd

Texas Man - 5/17 - OLY

Disco Tri - 7/19 - OLY

Stonebridge - 9/17 OLY

US Open - 10/11 - ?

2008-12-31 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle

Sir Gary Lord of BS, I need your help!!

I had a physical in September and, needless to say, results were not good:  weight - HIGH; blood pressure - HIGH; cholesterol - HIGH...  Doctor gave me six months to see if I could change my diet and lack of physical activity to lower the above and start getting into shape before prescribing meds; I told him round is a shape and I'm smaller than an NFL lineman, but apparantely, he wasn't in the mood for jokes.  I started going back to the gym, hitting the stationary bike and hiring a personal trainer.  I dropped about 10 pounds and lowered my cholesterol by 20 points in two months, but have fallen off the wagon the past two weeks due to Snow Bound Seattle 2008 (no plows, no salt and all hills with 10-12 inches of snow is NOT a good combination). 

2009 is the year I start Tri'ing.  I'm planning on doing the SeaFair Trathlon in Seattle in July, and with friends and family in California and Wisconsin, may add a couple more destination races over the summer / early fall.  After lurking on BT, it looks like the weightloss I want will be a nice benefit of training.

My biggest hangup is early morning workouts - I set the alarm, but the snooze button is too convenient, so I'm thinking that joining a mentor group will increase my accountability and get me to haul arse out of bed and get to the gym for morning workouts. 

Time to head out for New Year's Eve celebrations

Dave

2008-12-31 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1880563

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Dave.. glad you are here... I bought a cool alarm clock during my IM training that allows my to have my ipod on it,, I could program it to play a certain bunch of songs as my alarm,,, having the rocky theme did wonders to get me out of bed,,, also the fear factor of having a bid race was another huge thing,,,, about 2 months ago I found out that my snooze was variable,,, meaning if I hit it once it was ten minutes,, but if i hit it more the snooze would go up to 60 min... DON"T BUY THAT TYPE OF ALARM.... I'm mr 60 min snooze all the time now..

Hey you have to start somewhere and congrats on your weightloss so far... I'm sure I dont' have to tell you but it's all about calories in/out..  a few months ago I went to a dietician to get a metabolism test to see exactly how many calories I burn for a day... Knowing that magic number is the key... I gained about ten pounds in the last 2 months of my IM training since I ate everything in site..

hopefully that snow clears out so you can get back to the gym,,, but welcome aboard.. Hey with the time distance I can sleep in a bit and still call your phone every morning nice and early to get you up 

d2lock - 2008-12-31 7:35 PM

Sir Gary Lord of BS, I need your help!!

I had a physical in September and, needless to say, results were not good:  weight - HIGH; blood pressure - HIGH; cholesterol - HIGH...  Doctor gave me six months to see if I could change my diet and lack of physical activity to lower the above and start getting into shape before prescribing meds; I told him round is a shape and I'm smaller than an NFL lineman, but apparantely, he wasn't in the mood for jokes.  I started going back to the gym, hitting the stationary bike and hiring a personal trainer.  I dropped about 10 pounds and lowered my cholesterol by 20 points in two months, but have fallen off the wagon the past two weeks due to Snow Bound Seattle 2008 (no plows, no salt and all hills with 10-12 inches of snow is NOT a good combination). 

2009 is the year I start Tri'ing.  I'm planning on doing the SeaFair Trathlon in Seattle in July, and with friends and family in California and Wisconsin, may add a couple more destination races over the summer / early fall.  After lurking on BT, it looks like the weightloss I want will be a nice benefit of training.

My biggest hangup is early morning workouts - I set the alarm, but the snooze button is too convenient, so I'm thinking that joining a mentor group will increase my accountability and get me to haul arse out of bed and get to the gym for morning workouts. 

Time to head out for New Year's Eve celebrations

Dave

2009-01-01 7:53 AM

User image

Regular

Hi Gary,

I'd like to join your mentor group as I have been lurking around on BT for the last year. I live in Germantown, TN...a suburb of Memphis. I have two funloving monkeys: a 6 year old little girl & a 4 year old boy. I am a "stay-at home" Dad who just got his tour extended (my wife is pregnant & due in August). I rowed crew in college & grew up running 10k races around the South with my running-possessed Dad. I've enjoyed mountain biking for years but had never been on a road bike until my whirlwind training regime in 2008 (see below).

Last year I did two triathlons: an Olympic and an almost Oly. Since I approached my preparation on a personally customized training "plan" (LOL) I am ready for an easier way this time around. I went from runner only to triathlete in about 9 weeks. I had never done any distance swimming or road biking until I started training. First trip to the pool was an unmitigated disaster but I hung in there & went 5 or 6 days a week until the first triathlon where I died an agonizing slow death. I had read the threads about the differences between the pool & open water but didn't do any open water swims. I did a mile plus open water swim before the next triathlon (one week later) to mentally prepare but the swim went poorly again & I just went into survival mode. Everything else was a blast & I can't wait to do some more triathlons in 2009. I would just like to take my time preparing this year & do something that is very difficult for me: Ask for help.

Medical Note: I continued training after my Olympic tri in August for a few weeks then went ahead with a surgery (in October) on the TFCC ligament in my right wrist that had been injured a few years ago & only gotten worse. I was in a full arm cast for a month & in physical therapy & a shorter cast/splint for another month. I am at about 75% & not expecting too much trouble except maybe in the pool at the beginning of returning to training.

Race schedule to follow...

Thanks,

Keith

2009-01-01 8:05 AM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Hi: I'm Kimberly down here in TX. If the group is still open, I'd love to join. To tell you a little bit about myself, I've actually been doing tris for a few years, but have never been competitive. I got into tris after having to quit showing horses during med school (believe it or not, but tri is much cheaper than showing horses). I have long standing feet issues from ballet, and my doctor at the time told me I could never run and doubted I could bike, so I started swimming. Then a friend got me started on a MTB, went to a new doc who helped me with my feet issues, and decided to try a mini-sprint to see if I could run without pain, and discovered I could, usually. Since then I have done multiple Sprints, some duathlons, a 1/2 mary, and an Olympic.

My biggest problem is lack of time for training. I'm a resident in Ob/Gyn, so let's just say that the 80hr + work week does not help with training. My own doctor during med school was also a triathlete, actually one of the top ones in the area, and he warned me about how hard it is to keep doing this during residency, but reminded me that it is worth it, even though you won't be able to race at your best during this time period usually. Over the past 6 months, I've had the problem of doing great with training for about a month (on an easy rotation), then getting into a month where I have no time, not getting good training in, and becoming discouraged with starting over again.

Right now, my goals are to work on consistency in my training, even if it's only a short 30min run or trainer ride after work. I'm not sure on the race I will be doing, but the main one I'm planning on is Route 66 Olympic distance. I'm going to try to find a nice Sprint before that one in June, and then see what comes afterwards. I'm also looking at losing the weight I've put on during residency and med school - it's not much, but I think it will help me overall.

I really need to work on my run, as that has always been my limiting factor. I also need to work on making every workout count, so I'm sure I'll have questions as I go about that area.
2009-01-01 6:20 PM
in reply to: #1880868

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Hello Keith 

Happy New Year

Glad to have you.. At first I really thought you had a couple of monkeys, it took me a second actually...      I'm glad to see you have stopped lurking and hope you stick around.  You story about the swim sounds very familiar  I really think the swim is something that you really need to "overtrain" for just to have some extra confidence in the water.   But then I'd think you would be really comfortable in the water after doing crew (which sounds waaay cool).  

So aside from the injuries, where do you think you need to focus for this year??

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business Rss Feed  

of 13