Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-12-26 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: Ernie's Group - Closed

NAME: Your username / first name  My name is Ernie and user name is EJC999
STORY:short paragraph of who you are, why you triathlon - I'm 47 years old and work for the federal government.  I use to play some golf but since finding triathlon's, I don't have time for many other hobbies.  This will be my fifth year of doing triathlons.  I had been participating in running races and riding Century/bike club events for a long time when a coworker suggested I try a triathlon.  I hadn't done any real swimming since grade school but thought I knew how to swim.  Although I was in shape, I found out the hard way that swimming is all about technique.  Anyway, I spent a frustrating few months learning to swim enough to complete my first year of triathlons.  Since then I've moved to longer distance events and completed my second IM distance race.  In the last 5 years, I've also done several stand alone marathons and century bike rides.
FAMILY STATUS: Family situation (single/married/family)  I'm married to the most patient woman on the planet and I have two children.  My daughter is 15 and my son is 12.  They are both active in sports and their schools.  Makes for a challenge to schedule my time.
CURRENT TRAINING: How you train in general (what race distance in 2008, technical or not)  This last year was my most consistent in terms of training.  I built up to a Half IM in June and then took a couple of weeks off for a family vacation.  Then I spent July to November training for Beach 2 Battleship (a IM distance race).  Currently I'm taking some off season time but will start training heavy in January.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Just a little summary of what you have recently done.  My last race was Beach 2 Batteship.  I raced 6 tris this past year including 2 sprints, 2 Olys, 1 Half and 1 Full.  Plus I did assorted running races and a couple of Centurys
2009 RACES:  If your season is ready, list your races, if not, your training goals.  I've only registered for 2 races so far.  I'm doing an Oly in May and then IM Kentucky in August.  I will start a formal training plan sometime in March.
WEIGHTLOSS: And any weightloss goals that you have (or the weight lost so far as a triathlete).  I lost 30 pounds 10 years ago through Weight Watchers and have kept it off.  IM training takes care of weight issues for me but I know what its like to battle poor nutrition.  I like my beer, chicken wings, Chipotle, bacon, chocolate, etc but have learned moderation.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: A brief paragraph on how you intend to be a responsive and capable mentor to your group for the next 3 months.  I received a lot help from people I've trained with and on this site but I also learned a lot the hard way.  It would have been nice to have had a person to answer my specific questions and help avoid the common pitfalls.  I feel that I can answer a lot of the basic questions and point people places to get the right answers.  I feel this is a chance for me to give back to this site and the sport.  I have a group of people that I communicate regularly on this site and can include more as a mentor.  I also have learned a lot about time management, especially balancing family, work and training and would like to share that knowledge.

Edited by ejc999 2009-01-05 4:23 PM

2009-01-02 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1872477

New user

Subject: RE: Ernie's Group - Open
NAME: My name is Jeff and my user name is jwillett1

STORY: I used to do triathlons (sprint, olympic) in college some 20 years ago. I'm turning 45 and 70+ lbs overweight, married with 2 kids, and work as a Computer Analyst by day. I did a Sprint Tri (Latta) through Team in Training in 2007 and really enjoyed the training process and Triathlon. Signed back up to do Team In Training again in 2008 but couldn't raise all the money and was politely told that I could not longer attend training sessions. Lost my motivation after that. I have been wanting to get back to an active lifestyle as my kids are now getting older.

FAMILY STATUS: Married and I have two children. My daughter is 11 and my son is 8. Also makes for a challenge to schedule my time. I am the Cubmaster for my son's Cub Scout Pack.

CURRENT TRAINING: No current training. I am planning to follow Michael Pates training program for 2009.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: No races in 2008. Did the Latta Sprint Tri in 2007.

2009 RACES: I am shooting to compete in June and July for two sprint Triathlons. Badin Lake and Burlington, NC

WEIGHTLOSS: I am looking to drop 70 lbs and have just signed up with Weight Watchers for the first time. I have a problem with Chocloate ice cream.
2009-01-02 12:34 PM

Regular
Plano, Tx

NAME: Phil username philz1982

STORY: I did a triathalon when i was in Seal training back in 2005 and I have been looking for something to challenge me since I got out of the military. I liked the fact that it is multi-sport so I am getting back into training for a sprint and I will see where it goes from there.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married and have a 1 year old son and 2.5 year old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: As of 1 week ago I was totally focused into power lifting and as such I am just getting back into training with a beginner 3X balanced Sprint Tri program.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:None

2009 RACES: Not sure yet there are some posted but they don't match my training cycle so I will be waiting for a little later in the year to decide.

WEIGHTLOSS:I am 240 5'8 and want to be down at around 200, not really bad food choices just allot of food intake for the lifting.

2009-01-02 1:10 PM

User image

Maine

Hi Ernie-

I made a decision late this summer to start training for triathlon in 2009 and would like to join your mentoring group so that I can get more out of this site than just a log for my workouts. I read through the profiles of all of the open mentoring groups and the closest fit in terms of age, family status etc. was you. I will be 47 in 2009. I too am married to a patient woman who is also training for her first triathlon in 2009.  I have a 14 year old son and a 10 year old daughter, both of whom are competitive swimmers.

I was a good athlete in high school (football, hockey, baseball) and college (division 3 football) and have generally stayed in decent shape with weightlifting, cycling and a little running.  Given my sports background, training for me was always focused on power rather than endurance, so I’ve shifted my focus over the past several months, pretty much eliminating the weightlifting in favor of more running and swimming.

I have no doubts about being able to complete a sprint tri, but I would like to post a decent time and then I’d like to compete in a longer distance.  I’d also like to get down to my college weight of ~185 which means about 15-18 less than I weigh now at 5’10”.  If nothing else, it’s healthier, but I’m hoping it helps my times too.

I’ve been cycling for 10 years.  The cycling season is short here in Maine but I’ve done ~1,000 miles in each of the last two seasons, just for fun, not for training. Outdoor riding in winter is limited for me because of the weather and the condition of the roads. However, I also teach indoor cycling (spinning) in the off-season, 2 hours a week October –December and 4 hours a week January-May.  Its not exactly the same as being on the road, but with all the hours in the saddle logged, it only takes a few rides to get comfortable on a real bike in the spring.

I don’t particularly like running and never have, but since deciding to tri, I have run more regularly.  I competed in my first road race on Thanksgiving morning and did a 5k in 25m.

I learned to swim (or at least stay afloat) as a child.  I just started swim training in late-November and although I am relearning how to swim, I enjoy these workouts.  Because my kids swim, my wife and I have access to a knowledgeable swim coach who is helping us both.

My first race will be the Polar Bear sprint in May and if all goes well, I will do the Lobsterman (olympic distance) in September and maybe one or two things in between.  If I enjoy myself in these events, I’ll have some different goals for 2010.

Think you can help keep me motivated?

Howard (bearaway)

2009-01-02 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

Hello Ernie,

I would be interested in joining your group if you have room.  I am 40 years old, married to a great wife and we have 2 young boys ages 4 + 6.  I am also a g-man, a career Naval Officer with 16 years and counting.  I have about a year left on my shore orders and this is a great time for me to train for a tri event.  I have always had great respect for triathletes and their ability to push themselves.  I guess I really want to get involved instead of watching from the sidelines.  I really got bit by the tri bug the last couple of years watching friends compete in the Madison IM.  My goal is to compete in some shorter distance tri's with a HIM in the July/August timeframe.   

Why do I need a mentor?  This is all new to me and it will be nice to have someone who has "been there and done that" who can offer advice and more importantly push me.  It sounds like you face some of the same challenges, wife, kids, crazy schedules and have managed to accomplish your goals.  I am always open to advice and look forward to a new challenge in my life. 

Greg

2009-01-02 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1882837

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
philz1982 - 2009-01-02 1:34 PM

STORY: I did a triathalon when i was in Seal training back in 2005 and I have been looking for something to challenge me since I got out of the military. I liked the fact that it is multi-sport so I am getting back into training for a sprint and I will see where it goes from there.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married and have a 1 year old son and 2.5 year old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: As of 1 week ago I was totally focused into power lifting and as such I am just getting back into training with a beginner 3X balanced Sprint Tri program.

2009 RACES: Not sure yet there are some posted but they don't match my training cycle so I will be waiting for a little later in the year to decide.

WEIGHTLOSS:I am 240 5'8 and want to be down at around 200, not really bad food choices just allot of food intake for the lifting.

Welcome Phil,

I'm impressed by anyone who makes it through BUDs training.   That should give you a good start in triathlons.  Are you planning on doing any races this year? 

Ernie

2009-01-02 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1882797

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

jwillett1 - 2009-01-02 1:05 PM NAME: My name is Jeff and my user name is jwillett1 STORY: I used to do triathlons (sprint, olympic) in college some 20 years ago. I'm turning 45 and 70+ lbs overweight, married with 2 kids, and work as a Computer Analyst by day. I did a Sprint Tri (Latta) through Team in Training in 2007 and really enjoyed the training process and Triathlon. Signed back up to do Team In Training again in 2008 but couldn't raise all the money and was politely told that I could not longer attend training sessions. Lost my motivation after that. I have been wanting to get back to an active lifestyle as my kids are now getting older. FAMILY STATUS: Married and I have two children. My daughter is 11 and my son is 8. Also makes for a challenge to schedule my time. I am the Cubmaster for my son's Cub Scout Pack. CURRENT TRAINING: No current training. I am planning to follow Michael Pates training program for 2009. THIS YEAR'S RACES: No races in 2008. Did the Latta Sprint Tri in 2007. 2009 RACES: I am shooting to compete in June and July for two sprint Triathlons. Badin Lake and Burlington, NC WEIGHTLOSS: I am looking to drop 70 lbs and have just signed up with Weight Watchers for the first time. I have a problem with Chocloate ice cream.

Welcome Jeff,

I hope that I'm able to help you with getting back in to triathlons.  When are you planning to start training for '09?

Ernie

2009-01-02 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1882882

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
bearaway - 2009-01-02 2:10 PM

Hi Ernie-

I made a decision late this summer to start training for triathlon in 2009 and would like to join your mentoring group so that I can get more out of this site than just a log for my workouts. I read through the profiles of all of the open mentoring groups and the closest fit in terms of age, family status etc. was you. I will be 47 in 2009. I too am married to a patient woman who is also training for her first triathlon in 2009.  I have a 14 year old son and a 10 year old daughter, both of whom are competitive swimmers.

I was a good athlete in high school (football, hockey, baseball) and college (division 3 football) and have generally stayed in decent shape with weightlifting, cycling and a little running.  Given my sports background, training for me was always focused on power rather than endurance, so I’ve shifted my focus over the past several months, pretty much eliminating the weightlifting in favor of more running and swimming.

I have no doubts about being able to complete a sprint tri, but I would like to post a decent time and then I’d like to compete in a longer distance.  I’d also like to get down to my college weight of ~185 which means about 15-18 less than I weigh now at 5’10”.  If nothing else, it’s healthier, but I’m hoping it helps my times too.

I’ve been cycling for 10 years.  The cycling season is short here in Maine but I’ve done ~1,000 miles in each of the last two seasons, just for fun, not for training. Outdoor riding in winter is limited for me because of the weather and the condition of the roads. However, I also teach indoor cycling (spinning) in the off-season, 2 hours a week October –December and 4 hours a week January-May.  Its not exactly the same as being on the road, but with all the hours in the saddle logged, it only takes a few rides to get comfortable on a real bike in the spring.

I don’t particularly like running and never have, but since deciding to tri, I have run more regularly.  I competed in my first road race on Thanksgiving morning and did a 5k in 25m.

I learned to swim (or at least stay afloat) as a child.  I just started swim training in late-November and although I am relearning how to swim, I enjoy these workouts.  Because my kids swim, my wife and I have access to a knowledgeable swim coach who is helping us both.

My first race will be the Polar Bear sprint in May and if all goes well, I will do the Lobsterman (olympic distance) in September and maybe one or two things in between.  If I enjoy myself in these events, I’ll have some different goals for 2010.

Think you can help keep me motivated?

Howard (bearaway)

Welcome Howard,

It sounds like you've got a good background for triathlons.  Having access to a swim coach will be very helpful for you.  Learning swimming right the first time will save a lot of time. 

Ernie

2009-01-02 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1883335

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
GRB1 - 2009-01-02 8:02 PM

Hello Ernie,

I would be interested in joining your group if you have room.  I am 40 years old, married to a great wife and we have 2 young boys ages 4 + 6.  I am also a g-man, a career Naval Officer with 16 years and counting.  I have about a year left on my shore orders and this is a great time for me to train for a tri event.  I have always had great respect for triathletes and their ability to push themselves.  I guess I really want to get involved instead of watching from the sidelines.  I really got bit by the tri bug the last couple of years watching friends compete in the Madison IM.  My goal is to compete in some shorter distance tri's with a HIM in the July/August timeframe.   

Why do I need a mentor?  This is all new to me and it will be nice to have someone who has "been there and done that" who can offer advice and more importantly push me.  It sounds like you face some of the same challenges, wife, kids, crazy schedules and have managed to accomplish your goals.  I am always open to advice and look forward to a new challenge in my life. 

Greg

Welcome Greg,

I hope that I can give you some tips with the time management, easily the hardest part of triathlon.   What's a Naval Officer doing in Wisconsin?  What's your plan for "09?

Also, you training logs are blocked.  It would be helpful if I could see your training logs. 

Ernie

Edited by ejc999 2009-01-02 9:00 PM
2009-01-02 10:13 PM
in reply to: #1883489

Regular
Plano, Tx
ejc999 - 2009-01-02 6:47 PM
philz1982 - 2009-01-02 1:34 PM

Welcome Phil,

I'm impressed by anyone who makes it through BUDs training.   That should give you a good start in triathlons.  Are you planning on doing any races this year? 

Ernie

Ernie, 

I quit right before hellweek upon finding out my wife was pregnant so I only finished 10 weeks of training. Shortly after that I got out of the Navy. I am hoping to finish a few sprints as those seem they will be easy and then I want to do maybe 1 or 2 olympics but I am not worried about that. I need to loose around 40lbs to make running easy again.

2009-01-03 3:03 PM

Regular
Plano, Tx

Here is my first question, how do you pick a bike? I did the superfrog tri with a mountain bike and people were flying by me. I don't have a ton of money but I can spare a few hundred for a bike.

Also, what about swimming gear? Should I use a wetsuit, I am used to swimming in 55 deg water and I don't hype out easily so a short 1/2 mile swim shouldnt be to much for me.

2009-01-03 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

Ernie,

I am often asked what is a Navy guy doing in WI?  I am currently the CO of the Reserve Center in Madison, also known as the Navy Operational Support Center.  I have been here about 2 years and have 1 left.  Next location is TBD.  I think I unlocked my training logs.  If you can't see them let me know and I will try again.  

My goal is to compete in a couple of events this year.  Looking at doing the HIM in Benton Harbor MI in August.  I am also looking at the Olympic event in Madison in June.  I will try to search out at least one other event, Sprint/Olympic prior to the HIM in August.  

Greg  

2009-01-03 5:01 PM
in reply to: #1884364

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
philz1982 - 2009-01-03 4:03 PM

Here is my first question, how do you pick a bike? I did the superfrog tri with a mountain bike and people were flying by me. I don't have a ton of money but I can spare a few hundred for a bike.

Also, what about swimming gear? Should I use a wetsuit, I am used to swimming in 55 deg water and I don't hype out easily so a short 1/2 mile swim shouldnt be to much for me.

The most important thing about a bike is that it fits you.  You can find used bikes for sale on Craigslist and new bikes inexpensively at various locations but you have to be careful that you get the right size.  A poor fit will lead to neck, shoulder and knee problems.   Here's a link to a great bike website that has excellent articles on buying bikes:  http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/  Here's a couple of good articles on that site:  http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/store/used.shtml   and  http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/store/mailorder.shtml

As far as a wetsuit, I always wear a wetsuit if they are legal.  I swim anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds a hundred yards faster with a wetsuit.  For poor or new swimmers, it helps elevate the legs and put you in a better swim position.  It's not always about the water temperature but the swim benefit.  Although I hate cold water and would not be happy being in 55 degree water without a wetsuit.

Let me know if that helps.

Ernie

2009-01-03 7:08 PM

Regular
Plano, Tx
After looking over bike prices is there anywhere to rent a bike for the first race or so? I have no idea how I'd be able to come up with 1000.00 by summer? Ideas? Worst case I use a mountain bike again.
2009-01-04 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Everyone,

I've found it very useful to track my training and I use BT to record my training.  I've been recording since April 05 and here's a link to my training log:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=11138&year=&month=&day=

I'll add you all to my friends list on the linked page and I would like to be able to see your training page (it also makes communication easier through the inspire function) but you need to ensure that your page permissions allows access.  If you click on the control panel icon (a rectangle with a gear) on your training page and then the privacy tab, you can allow access.  Thanks,

Ernie

2009-01-04 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1884611

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

philz1982 - 2009-01-03 8:08 PM After looking over bike prices is there anywhere to rent a bike for the first race or so? I have no idea how I'd be able to come up with 1000.00 by summer? Ideas? Worst case I use a mountain bike again.

Some local bike stores (LBS) will rent bikes or let you borrow a bike for a test ride.  Each bike store is different so I can't give you a universal answer.   I don't think it's worth spending less than $700 for a new bike.  Here's another website with some good prices on bikes:  http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

I've not used bikesdirect but a lot of people on BT have and they usually get good reviews for customer service.

Another option is to buy used from Craigslist which can be difficult unless you're knowledgeable about bikes.  A third option would be put different tires or wheels on your mountain bike.  The sell tires called slicks for mountain bikes, essentially road tires for mountain bike wheels.  It won't make you fast but will make it easier to ride.

I hope this helps.

Ernie

2009-01-04 2:07 PM

New user

My username is tellio but you can call me Terry.

I am a nearly 54 year old teacher who got interested in triathlons last spring.  My weight dropped dramatically when I trained for the tri and just as dramatically came back afterwards.  I have taken a hiatus from strength training which I really enjoy.  I "won" the faculty division for a sprint tri last spring, but kinda lost my nerve to carry on when I was accepted into a doctoral program in ed leadership last summer.  Having been away from serious and regular workouts for about three months I realize that I am growing stupider because of it. I can't grow stupider and function in a doctoral program so I think that training for competitions is the way to go for me.  I love to swim and was doing upwards of four miles a week at the pool during my last serious training.  My downside is that I am a terrible, plodding runner--Ugggh--although I used the couch-to-5k program to great and surprising effect last year.  I have a recumbent bike which I cannot use in competitions and am in the market for a good used one right now. I train at the university when I am done teaching for the day.  Very nice facility for which I am very grateful.

I am married with three college aged kids, Lark, Phoebe, and Nate.  My wife, daughter, and youngest daugher are considering doing a sprint tri in February.  I would do the swim leg.  My wife and often work out together and really help each other out. 

I am not currently training except for walking.  My university gym has been shut down the last three weeks but will reopen on Monday.  I will be training there at least three days a week along with a new weight training regimen at home.  I dream of doing a half IM, but realistically sprints are probably my races of choice for awhile.  

I have only raced once in a very newbie friendly sprint at Western Kentucky University.  There will be two more sprints there this spring and a couple of others in Kentucky this summer and early fall that I would like to point myself toward.  

I lost about sixty pounds last year and have regained about thirty of that.  I will turn that around with this training.  I know that I can do this, but I feel a lot of initial inertia.  Does anybody else know that feeling.  I really love carbs, but know that they are my enemy when it comes to weight gain.  Back to protein and complex carbs and veggies when school starts again on Monday.  

Ernie, I notice that you are from Herndon.  My wife is from Virginia, near Winchester in a small town called Berryville.  I will be there in February for a conference.  I also note that you are going to do an IM in Kentucky in August.  I am a Kentucky boy, born and bred.  I look forward to joining this group if you all will have me.  

2009-01-04 2:27 PM

Hi Ernie,

I'd like to join your group if possible? I've always wanted to complete a triathlon and hope to do a sprint on March 28th 2009.

Swimming — I have been swimming with a masters swim club for the past 10 weeks, and have seen some improvement. I train once a week for 1 hour and do sets, the longest being 6 x 25m

Cycle — I trained for and completed the 'Wicklow 200' a 200km cyclo sportif in June 2008, i have done some group rides since but not as much as I'd like. I enjoy riding up hills.

Run — No training to speak of. I went out last night to assess this. Used my heart monitor and did 5.8km in 30mins 55secs, this was very hard but I ran the whole way. Max hr all the way and ache now.

I aim to train in one session per discipline per week. Will this be enough?

I'm a 39 year old university lecturer, married with three young sons.

Good luck to you all

2009-01-04 5:51 PM
in reply to: #1885429

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
tellio - 2009-01-04 3:07 PM

My username is tellio but you can call me Terry.

I am a nearly 54 year old teacher who got interested in triathlons last spring.  My weight dropped dramatically when I trained for the tri and just as dramatically came back afterwards.  I have taken a hiatus from strength training which I really enjoy.  I "won" the faculty division for a sprint tri last spring, but kinda lost my nerve to carry on when I was accepted into a doctoral program in ed leadership last summer.  Having been away from serious and regular workouts for about three months I realize that I am growing stupider because of it. I can't grow stupider and function in a doctoral program so I think that training for competitions is the way to go for me.  I love to swim and was doing upwards of four miles a week at the pool during my last serious training.  My downside is that I am a terrible, plodding runner--Ugggh--although I used the couch-to-5k program to great and surprising effect last year.  I have a recumbent bike which I cannot use in competitions and am in the market for a good used one right now. I train at the university when I am done teaching for the day.  Very nice facility for which I am very grateful.

I am married with three college aged kids, Lark, Phoebe, and Nate.  My wife, daughter, and youngest daugher are considering doing a sprint tri in February.  I would do the swim leg.  My wife and often work out together and really help each other out. 

I am not currently training except for walking.  My university gym has been shut down the last three weeks but will reopen on Monday.  I will be training there at least three days a week along with a new weight training regimen at home.  I dream of doing a half IM, but realistically sprints are probably my races of choice for awhile.  

I have only raced once in a very newbie friendly sprint at Western Kentucky University.  There will be two more sprints there this spring and a couple of others in Kentucky this summer and early fall that I would like to point myself toward.  

I lost about sixty pounds last year and have regained about thirty of that.  I will turn that around with this training.  I know that I can do this, but I feel a lot of initial inertia.  Does anybody else know that feeling.  I really love carbs, but know that they are my enemy when it comes to weight gain.  Back to protein and complex carbs and veggies when school starts again on Monday.  

Ernie, I notice that you are from Herndon.  My wife is from Virginia, near Winchester in a small town called Berryville.  I will be there in February for a conference.  I also note that you are going to do an IM in Kentucky in August.  I am a Kentucky boy, born and bred.  I look forward to joining this group if you all will have me.  

Welcome Terry

It sounds like you have a good background for tri's and it will help a lot to be able to train with your family.  Yep, I know Berryville.  There's a great ride up Mt. Weather right near Berryville. 

What do you teach?

Ernie

2009-01-04 6:00 PM
in reply to: #1885458

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
john_c - 2009-01-04 3:27 PM

Hi Ernie,

I'd like to join your group if possible? I've always wanted to complete a triathlon and hope to do a sprint on March 28th 2009.

Swimming — I have been swimming with a masters swim club for the past 10 weeks, and have seen some improvement. I train once a week for 1 hour and do sets, the longest being 6 x 25m

Cycle — I trained for and completed the 'Wicklow 200' a 200km cyclo sportif in June 2008, i have done some group rides since but not as much as I'd like. I enjoy riding up hills.

Run — No training to speak of. I went out last night to assess this. Used my heart monitor and did 5.8km in 30mins 55secs, this was very hard but I ran the whole way. Max hr all the way and ache now.

I aim to train in one session per discipline per week. Will this be enough?

I'm a 39 year old university lecturer, married with three young sons.

Good luck to you all

Hey John,

Welcome to the group.  It looks like you're off to a good start in your training.  It's hard to answer your question about the amount of training.  It depends on your goals.  From what you've posted, you will probably have no problem finishing a sprint triathlon.  If your goal is to be competitive, you will need to increase your training volume.  An important first step in triathlon's is understanding why you want to do triathlons.  Do you want to win your age group, just train, socialize with other triathletes?  There isn't a right answer, it's what you want to do. 

I usually try to train in each event 3 times a week.  I'll add in extra sessions when I'm concentrating on an event.  Having said that, you have to look at your goals and available training time.   Time management is always tricky.

Ernie

2009-01-05 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1885714

New user

I teach freshman comp, literature, and advanced comp classes--plus I am especially interested in using technology to teach all of those subjects.  I have a tri blog that I used last time I trained and I think I will open that back up to write about what is happening. 

I have walked around Mount Weather (well, not too close, they don't like that up there).  

The Blue Ridge and the Shenandoah--gorgeous.

Questions:  I am starting back up today at the gym.  I really want to do this tri in about eight weeks, but none of the programs are that short.  Is it unrealistic to think I can train to do a sprint tri in  eight weeks?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to working with everybody in this group.  There is something about being accountable to someone outside of yourself that really kicks it into high gear.  

2009-01-05 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

Ernie,

Should we put the entire group on our friend's list so we can all share our training logs, or is this just for the mentor?  Might be another way we can help to motivate one another. 

I just found the "Inspire Me" portion on the training log and saw your comments, sorry for the late response.   

Greg

2009-01-05 3:37 PM

User image

Seattle

NAME: My name is Sean.  My username is Grizzly1969
STORY: I have been running my own business since Jan '03.  I work six days a week.  I played 3 sports in high school, including swimming, and have remained active ever since.  I currently play ice hockey twice a week.  I snowboard and surf when I can.  Last September I attempted a sprint-tri.  My legs cramped up after the swim and I never even got on the bike.  A college friend of mine made a goal of finishing a sprint-tri before his 40th birthday in December.  He actually finished.  I hope to equal his goal.

FAMILY STATUS: I am single, no kids, never married (unless you count my job)

CURRENT TRAINING: I am starting the Sprint 3x 16week program today.  I also plan on continuing to play ice hockey. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES: None finished, yet.
2009 RACES:  I am participating in the Rage Sprint Tri on April 19th.  I am also going to go back and finish the sprint tri from last September.
WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 15 pounds this summer on a weight loss bet.  Basically I cut out sugar and fast food and ate a lot of protein bars.  I have managed to keep it the weight off, probably due to the ice hockey.  When I read this statemnt from Ernie, "I like my beer, chicken wings, Chipotle, bacon, chocolate, etc but have learned moderation." I knew I'd found a kindred soul.

2009-01-05 4:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-05 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1886340

Expert
Herndon VA
tellio - 2009-01-05 8:42 AM

Questions:  I am starting back up today at the gym.  I really want to do this tri in about eight weeks, but none of the programs are that short.  Is it unrealistic to think I can train to do a sprint tri in  eight weeks?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to working with everybody in this group.  There is something about being accountable to someone outside of yourself that really kicks it into high gear.  

I don't think that you'll have a problem with finishing a tri in 8 weeks if you can complete the swim without a problem.   You probably won't be fast but you have done tris in the past and know what it takes.  The key is to not try to cram 16 weeks of training into 8 weeks.  I would pick a training plan that you feel comfortable using and start at the latest week that you can do all the training.  Don't worry if this doesn't take you to the end of the training plan.  Your goal should be to begin training consistently and following a plan.

Ernie

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernie's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 7