Off'N Running
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 10s
Overall Rank = 23/424
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/33
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:30AM (usual time), had my normal breakfeast of two bowls of cereal w/skim milk. Thought it would be OK, since race wasn't until 10AM. Drove the 45 minutes to the race site.
Event warmup:

It was a little chilly, but sunny and calm. Did about 1/2 - 3/4 mile at my training pace. Felt pretty good.
Run
  • 21m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran my usual 5K, out really fast first mile, then try to hang on the rest of the way. Kind of stayed with the lead pack for the first half mile or so, then started to slip back and more or less ran by myself for the rest of the race. I think I got passed one time after the first mile. Started to hear footsteps over the last 100 meters or so, but was able to hold them off at the line.

This one probably was at about 95% of my max pace. Conditions were perfect for a fast run, cool (30 degrees), no wind and sunny. Really great course very scenic and again mostly flat.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, maybe avoid my usual mile 2 letdown were my pace drops off, other than that it was a great way to start the year.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged a little, had some bagels w/peanut butter.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

This race is free, you are only required to bring 4 canned or dry food items to enter. Again, great way to start the new year. Very well run, and you can't beat free.

Last updated: 2008-12-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:10 | 03.11 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/33
Overall: 23/424
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 6:29 - Avg HR: 169 Mile 2: 6:45 - Avg HR: 177 Mile 3: 6:55 - Avg HR: 177
Course: Beautiful out and back course on greenway. Slightly downhill on the way out, then slightly uphill on the way back. You didn't really notice the downhill on the way out, but certainly noticed the uphill on the way back. But in reality, it really is a flat and fast course. The biggest issue is all of the congestion at the start and once you make the turn. The greenway is pretty narrow.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes