Finish Strong
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 42s
Overall Rank = 20/105
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:30, had a bagel w/peanut butter and jelly. Watched some TV, took the dog for a walk. Race was only about 8 mi from my house so no hurry. It didn't start until 9AM, and I picked up my race stuff the night before. Left the house at about 8:10AM
Event warmup:

Ran about a mile at 8:40AM
Run
  • 23m 2s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Really dogged it on the first run as per my plan. Ran towards the back of the middle of the pack first 1/2 miles on the downhill. Started to pick people off on the uphill the first time. Felt like I ran pretty easy, but since half of it was uphill, it was hard to keep HR down. Legs started to get a little tight on the uphills.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have shaved a minute of my time if I would have started as fast as I normally do. But starting slow worked out fairly well here due to the hilliness of the course. Passed a lot of people on the uphills.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Had my toe covers on so it was a little tough to get my bike shoes on and strapped. But my toes never got cold even though it was still pretty chilly when we started the bike. Otherwise, a pretty good T1. Not fast, but I just am not good at transistions.

I need to practice transitions...
Bike
  • 40m 45s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike course was a little longer this year (different route out of transition), but pretty much the same. Didn't feel like I was going as fast as last year, but avg was comparable. My legs felt really tight, not sure why, felt like they might cramp ... but they didn't. Was really worried about for the final 2.2 mile run, but it wasn't an issue. Never got out of the aero position, so that was a positive.

Not in the best bike shape right now, lack of miles due to the cold weather this year. So overall, I was pleased with the result. Felt good to go fast again.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

It was a pain getting the bike shoes off (toe covers). Probably didn't need them as it warmed up nicely. Need to get some lacelocks as I struggled getting my shoes tied as usual.

Lacelocks ... have to get some.
Run
  • 16m 12s
  • 2.2 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Thought my legs were going to be knots getting off the bike, but once I got running a few hundred meters, they loosened up. It was nasty coming up that hill for a fifth and final time, but I didn't really slow too much. Kind of had a duel with another runner for the last mile, he outkicked me the final 100M. Kind of caught me by surprise as he dropped back a bit just before his kick. Actually, looking at the results, my second run was the strongest part of my race.

Nothing really ... went as hard as I could on the final run.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing.

Event comments:

Finish Strong puts on a great race. Was a little disappointed that they changed the run course from a flat to a hilly course, but they said it was for safety reasons ... so you can't argue about that. Everything went off on time, enough encouraging volunteers to make it a safe and enjoyable race. Will do it again next year for the third time.

Last updated: 2008-11-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:02 | 03.3 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 23/105
Performance: Good
7:30 first 1.1 miles 7:25 second 1.1 miles 8:00 third mile
Course: It was for lack of a better description ... a hill. You went down it a .55 miles turned around and went up it and repeat it 3 times. It really only had a few short steep sections, but it was a workout nonetheless. Last year the course was three 1 mile loops and pancake flat ... could not have been any more different this year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:40:45 | 14 miles | 20.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 19/105
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A beautiful bike course. Starts downhill for about 6 miles or so to the river and then a left turn past some vineyards and then the rest of the course is rolling hills but trends uphill mostly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:16:12 | 02.2 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 15/105
Performance: Good
Course: Same as first run, only 2x instead of 3x.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-02-07 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Subject: Winston-Salem Short Course

2009-02-07 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1950574

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Subject: RE: Winston-Salem Short Course
Great race , Bob.I did a shorter version last weekend and got whopped.It was at NE Park. The bike was a killer
2009-02-07 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1950574

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Subject: RE: Winston-Salem Short Course
Hey,I just saw your comments on my race report.You were smart to avoid the cold and wind.

John
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Winston-Salem Short Course Rss Feed